Hey all! What a crazy week. The launch of LP Zone went way better than I thought it would - thank you to our patrons and everyone who’s posting! Y’all are an awesome bunch.
Just wanted to quickly give a security update for the forums. I’d like to confirm that SSL is working for our site and we’re in good standing as far as data security goes. However, it doesn’t matter how much prep you do or how many walls you put up - there’s always a chance something bad could happen. Even high profile politicians and big companies get hacked these days, so I wanted to let you know the steps you can take to help protect yourself on The Entire Net™ .
First, your password. Here are some good rules of thumb:
- Do not use the same password for everything.
- Make sure your password is 8 characters minimum.
- Make sure your password contains at least 3 of the following: upper-case letters, lower-case letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Try to renew your password every 90 days.
- Use 2-step authentication for account verification on sites that have it. Here’s how to enable that on Gmail: https://www.google.com/landing/2step/ And here’s how to enable it on Twitter: https://support.twitter.com/articles/20170388 …
As far as our site goes, I’ve increased the minimum password requirement for all users to 8 characters and blocked simple passwords, as well as raised password requirements for our admins. We are also not connected to Patreon at all (Patreon rewards are applied manually), so don’t worry about any payment information being leaked. Really, the most effective thing you can do to prevent a hack is to use a different password for everything. That way if your data is compromised, it’s localized. And please don’t just follow these rules on LP Zone - follow them for every site and service you use.
In summary: be safe. Follow the guidelines we have here. After that, you’ve done basically everything you can do - so relax and play/watch/read/appreciate some videogames!