Non-stop Slime Puns! Let's Play Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime!

Ah, Dragon Quest. The silver medal of JRPGs, as far as the West is concerned. Yes, despite it’s overwhelming popularity in Japan, Dragon Quest has remained firmly behind Final Fantasy in America. But despite it’s lesser star status, the franchise still has the occasional spin-off that reaches our shores.

And the spin-off we’re playing today (which irritatingly shares its name with another DQ spin-off) is Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime! Rocket Slime is a series of Action-Adventure games. Despite being a trilogy, we only got the second game in America. The first game is decently fun, but it’s the second game that added a mechanic that really helped the game stand out, and I am shocked that there has not been a spiritual successor with similar gameplay.

The story is simple. We play as Missile (default name Rocket), who is on a quest to rescue all 100 slimes of Boingburg after they have been kidnapped by the Plob! Join us as we guide Missile through his journey fraught with enemies, traps, and worst of all, puns!

After a brief tutorial for the elasto blast, it’s time to set out on our adventure! Our first stop is Forewood Forest!

2 Likes

It’s a new day in Boingburg! Missile sets out to a new area to investigate the Tomb of Tootenshcleimen and unlock a new gameplay mechanic that’s probably the best thing about this game!

2 Likes

With tank in tow, it’s time to traverse the tomb! The Tomb of Tootenschleimen still has secrets left for us to uncover, and we have a new enemy to taunt us as we work!

1 Like

It’s time to save Hooly for real this time! Surely nothing will stand in our way . . .

1 Like

It’s time for a new area, Mt. Krakatroda! We have a long episode today, and it is entirely so I can show off more of Slival.

1 Like

This week on Rocket Slime, we receive a mysterious letter that seems to be from out sister. We also unlock the other half to the tank crew mechanics, which really opens up customization for the tan- oh god this is the one where i tried to use rollo

1 Like

OK, now that we have a crew that isn’t horrendous, we can actually revisit Forewood Forest properly! We also round out our possible tank crew with all the available enemies, and the tank names start getting really good.

1 Like

More cleanup, this time at the Tomb of Tootenschleimen!

1 Like

Finally, we’re back to plot progression! It’s boss rush time as we head to the Backwoods to rescue our sister!

It is time to rescue our parents! We’ve discovered that they’re being held at Callmigh Bluff. And thanks to Fefnir, that’s not the worst pun in this episode!

1 Like

It is clean up time, once again! Today, we head back to Mt. Krakatroda to grab everything that we missed and a few things that we haven’t been able to access at all before now.

1 Like

It’s time to return to Callmigh Bluff! We also get to show off the game’s obligatory ninjas and give Fefnir an opportunity to make Harvest Moon references!

1 Like

It’s time to be Indiana . . . Goones? Ooziana Jones? We’re disrupting an archeological site, but there’s no good slime puns for Indiana Jones :frowning:

We continue our rampage through the Dark One’s burial site as we solve the other half of the statue puzzle!

1 Like

This week, we are finally free of the burial site! Once we deal with the last of the Big Three, we’ll be able to accomplish our goal here. Right? We’ll actually do something while we’re here, right?

1 Like

We are rapidly approaching the end of the game as the Plob’s Flying Clawtress moves in. Missile infiltrates it and suddenly the game just presents all the cool set pieces it can? It’s always been fun, but most of the memorable moments in the game come from this dungeon, so be sure to watch!

We’ve successfully stormed the Flying Clawtress. All that’s left is Don Clawleone. And if I know anything about the final bosses in Dragon Quest, it’s that they never have additional forms or extra phases, so I’m sure he’ll be easy to beat!

1 Like

With Flucifer defeated and the Plob engaged in other activities, it’s time to start covering the post game! This episode, we take a look at everything available after defeating Flucifer, which includes new ammo, new tank crew members, and even a new tank fight!

1 Like

It’s time to wrap up the bonus content with the Arena sidequest. Are you ready for the best part of DQVIII* to be adapted to Rocket Slime, ragazzo?

*I haven’t played DQVIII yet, I’m just repeating what I’ve heard others say.