No, Really, Who Lives In A House Like THIS? - Let's Play ANATOMY

(Thanks to Phenwah for the VHS-ifying and GIF-ifying of my title image!)

Introduction

ANATOMY is a short horror game by Kitty Horrorshow. The description on her Itch.io page reads:

Every house is haunted.

Explore a suburban house, collect cassette tapes, study the physiology of domestic architecture.

Kitty has also been kind enough to outline the content warnings for her game, so here’s your notice ahead of time: :tw: for distorted/flashing images (This game relies heavily on VHS-style distortion,), body horror, and strong horror themes. I’ll also add on that if the sight of teeth makes you uncomfortable, now’s the time to either look away, or brace yourself, do whatever you have to do to stay comfy.

Given the nature of this game I don’t want to spoil anything major about how it works, but I will say that it’s a game that progresses over multiple playthroughs - a single playthrough takes about 10 minutes or so, and the game changes on repeat playthroughs, like a VHS distorting and degrading the more it’s played and played.

I finished this playlist on my Youtube channel last October, so here are the episodes, along with the very hastily-made VHS-esque titles I made for them - Click each node in order to reveal its title card, and then click on the title card itself to be taken to the video!

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 4

Episode 5

And here’s a full playlist for folks who just want to autoplay the whole thing!

I realise this is a pretty barebones post, but hopefully folks will enjoy watching some VHS horror narrated by a slightly panicked Scotsman!

3 Likes

@moderators Could I ask for this post to be archived in Completed Let’s Plays? I’d like it to be left open for other people to comment and add replies to it!

This is one of those games that’s just so incredibly… effective.

I spent so much time waiting for something to jump, but the real horror of it comes from that expectation. The performance of the audio tapes is excellent, and all that atmosphere adds up to making what is essentially a re-done Monster House legitimately terrifying.

1 Like

Absolutely have to agree.

[spoiler]
I had little to no idea what I was getting into, save for one person saying that it does a really good job of making you constantly afraid, giving you just little tiny suggestions that something’s going to jump out at you, and it really works.

I was afraid of going downstairs in the middle of the night after playing this, lemme tell you.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]My experience of this game was actually second hand, because I had watched a Let’s Play of it as part of a Halloween marathon, but at the time, I was alone in my friend’s large and empty house because I had been house sitting for her.

Needless to say, afterwards I had to leave a couple lights on and was too anxious to sleep. [/spoiler]

Kitty is actually running a bundle with Anatomy and a bunch of her patreon games for a dollar for the next couple of days, with all proceeds going to the ACLU.

2 Likes