My Name is John Parker Hammond and this is Jurassic Park: Trespasser

Hello friends and welcome! Me (homphgomph/Joe), my sister Katie (ginko) and my good buddy Jesse (zelgadisA027123) will be noodling through the 1998 classic First Person Shooter/Adventure for the Windows PC, Jurassic Park: Trespasser.

What is this Trespasser?
Per wikipedia, Trespasser was initially billed as a “digital sequel” to the 1997 movie, Lost World: Jurassic Park. The game is, at its core, a First Person Shooter that was really trying to do some incredible things for the time and was actually ahead of the curve in a lot of ways. A game with real time physics, huge explorable landscapes, no HUD, voice work by Minnie Driver and Sir Richard Attenborough, set in the Jurassic Park universe all sounds pretty rad on paper. However, due to rushed development, some lofty goals, and youthful ego, the game fell a weeeeee bit short on delivering. The final product is riddled with bugs, maps with very little to do or see, bad AI, and some very silly walk animations.

There’s something incredibly appealing to me about this beautiful mess however, when everything is working as intended this game can be legitimately cool, scary, and endearing. It’s my intention to share a glimpse of that magic with you.

What will this LP consist of?
I’ll be trying to show off everything I can in this game but ultimately, this will be a pretty chill playthrough of a very unintentionally silly game, ginko has seen this game before, zelgadis has not. I’ll be using the Trespasser CE mod to help it run nicely on modern computers, only down side is the dinos don’t jump but don’t worry, I’ll be showing off some jumping dinos at some point. I’ll also be dipping into the ATX mod to show off some of the crazier behind the scenes kind of stuff with this game.

Updates will typically be up on Friday with maybe some other Jurassic Park games sprinkled in before each Friday update if we have the chance to record some.

If you somehow have access to this game and want to follow along, there’s a weirdly active web site with patches/mods/custom levels for this 21 year old game, it’s pretty cool.

Before we get rolling, I can’t recommend enough the LP by ResearchIndicates that introduced me to this game.

Youtube Playlist

Part 1 - The Beach

Part 2 - The Jungle Road

1 Like

Here are some flavor doodles I had to do of a bat vs raptor.

1 Like

Hey me and Katie played through Jurassic Park in Lego Jurassic World, it’s a cute thing.

1 Like

Today we make our way deeper into the Island via the monorail track, try our best to rescue a friend from some pushy Raptors, and lock our joints.

Part 2 - The Jungle Road

1 Like

Hey! You’ve heard of Chaos Theory, what about…

Chaos Island!

1 Like

Time for Anne to go trophy hunting!

Part 3 - The Industrial Jungle

1 Like

Now me and Katie play a terrible game with the added stakes of buying other a coffee

Let’s Bet a Coffee on - Warpath: Jurassic Park

1 Like

We have a big update today, one of the first of a couple huge levels.

Part 4 - The Town

Also! A bonus!

Batter Up

1 Like

Here’s the cover art for this last video! Sorry, it’s a bit late! My hope was to draw janky vaguely-realistic Velociraptors playing basketball.

And for an added bonus:

1 Like

Time for an interesting look at a 1998 browser game!

Jurassic Park: The Ride - Online Adventure

We got another beefy episode aaaand a bonus!

Part 5 - The Lab

Bonus - A Deeper Look

1 Like

We have some actual proper use of physics and another intentional melee kill! This games’ ideas were not bad as it turns out!

Part 6 - The Ascent - Part 1

1 Like

Part 7 - The Ascent (Part 2)

1 Like

Now it is time for the end of this LP!

Part 8 - The Summit

Anne has a fall

Also a little bonus of Annes final extremely well thought out mission and a peek into the Level Editor

Burly Brawl/Level Editor

Even though i’m shouting into the void on this thread, I do so some views coming from here so thank you so much for watching!!!

2 Likes

Well I enjoyed it. Thanks for taking a trip back to the island of seasick dinosaurs, may they roll gently down hills in peace.