More like Dim Souls - Let's Play Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption

video

Rhodes was a warrior who staked everything on his reputation until he lost a fight, presumably to the protagonist. (Adam seems to show up in many of these stories, but not all of them, so if they’re meant to have Adam connecting them all, there are huge gaps.) The fight is essentially identical to the Tower Knight fight from Demon’s Souls or the Iron Golem from Dark Souls, minus the need to stagger the boss and then attack. You’ll do most of your damage by attacking the legs, which is a problem, because the sacrifice you make is a decrease in attack power. That will make every fight longer, requiring the same level of precision over a longer period. If you’re good at these types of games, this might be a worthwhile sacrifice to make early. Clearly, I’m not. The key here is to stay close and prepare to dodge a variety of attacks - Rhodes uses energy waves if you get too far from him, and the horizontal ones can be very difficult to dodge. His desperation move summons a bunch of minions, which aren’t as annoying as they could be. His attacks will damage them, and they don’t seem to respawn if they die. He’ll summon more at 1/4 health, and you get a brief opportunity for some attacks during each summon. His desperation also unlocks a series of six wind blades at alternating diagonals, which are easy to dodge if you’re not also dealing with minions or at the edge of the platform. The worst move of all is a series of homing bullets. Get too far from them, and they’ll start flying parallel to the floor, making it nearly impossible to lure them into the ground. Get hit by one, and the rest will surely also hit you. Get hit by anything else while they’re tracking you… well, you get the idea.

Part 4: Rhodes

Before I describe the last of the seven Avatars of Sin, let me attempt to recap the story so far, as I understand it. The sequence of events is unclear, but we’re playing as a character with no memory, who is called “The Sinner” or “the wanderer” in-game (and it’s only the pictures that give any real indication that the wanderer in the cutscenes is supposed to be our character, and they’re absent from my videos because the developers don’t seem to care about the story), and “Adam” in all of the game’s promotional materials. Adam went on a journey, during which a woman named Chanel fell in love with them. I assume that they traveled together to Levin Undok’s place, and Levin Undok tried and failed to seduce Adam, eventually becoming so jealous that she became the Avatar of Envy. Adam later ditched Chanel as well, leaving her to become the Avatar of Lust. Along the way, Adam told Camber Luce of the cursed treasure that turned him into the Avatar of Gluttony, defeated Rhodes and turned him into the Avatar of Pride, and passed through the country where Yordo took the throne he didn’t want and became the Avatar of Sloth. It’s really unclear what those last two events had to do with each other, if anything. Also, Faiz Tilus tried to become immortal and became the Avatar of Greed, with no apparent input from Adam at all. You’ll either have to trust me on all of this or look up videos of first playthroughs. I bring this up to illustrate how Adam is, at most, the Forrest Gump of sin here. Momentous things happen, and Adam is often there, pointing to where they got shot in the but-tock.

Angronn is a rock golem that is the Avatar of Wrath. That’s about all I got out of the cutscene. Either people made a golem and it became wrathful, or maybe, with a bit of creative interpretation, Adam’s return to their hometown provoked such wrath that the rocks were animated in this form. Either way, this place is the “beginning and end” of Adam’s journey, so clearly the boss you’re intended to fight last. This is good, because the sacrifice you make is utterly awful, unless you’re one of those people who just never gets hit. To fight Angronn, you have to give up your armor, decreasing your defense, and also lose the healing over time effect that makes the random chip damage from other bosses somewhat bearable. That would seem to be a minor sacrifice in this particular fight, where the biggest threat is being punched off the ledge entirely, but most of the time, the only way to dodge the punch is to get in the path of a falling sword or roll through a pool of lava, and the tiny bits of damage you take from that just keep adding up. Attacking Angronn can be difficult, because the only target you get are his fists, and they tend to be trying to damage you most of the time they’re within range. Angronn has a variety of attacks that don’t leave his fists exposed, and if he feels like it, he can just use those forever and leave you no opportunity to attack. At least you can hit him with the swords he throws at you, doing a fair bit of damage, but he can also hit you by knocking the swords around, which tends to happen when he’s otherwise giving you an opening to hit his fists. The lava balls he throws will probably kill you if they hit you and will definitely box you into a corner if they don’t, and he can also summon fiery minions that just explode. After all of that is done, he’ll destroy parts of the ledge that you’re standing on, forcing you to retreat until you’re on a tiny strip of land that doesn’t give you much room to dodge. If you haven’t mostly worn him down by then, you probably won’t win. Did I mention that this is probably the longest fight, which would be great if you were recovering HP the whole time?

Of course, there’s a final boss once you defeat the first seven, surprising no one who’s played a video game before. But I’ll get to that next time.

Part 5: Angronn

is this all metaphorical or does adam have some kind of monsterifying field

Adam is the Sinner, the wanderer whose presence had some tangential connection to most (or all) of the sins of the bosses we’ve fought so far. From what I can tell, Adam brought the Avatars of Sin into the world intending to reason with them, but that effort was ultimately futile, and Adam now fights to redeem their own original sin, that which caused all of the other sins. I don’t really know what that means in a lore sense, but in games like this, everything translates into “kill the thing in front of you”, which is simple enough to understand. However, it’s much easier said than done. While there’s no further sacrifice to fight Adam, reaching this point requires making all of the previous sacrifices, and there’s no way to recover any of them. You’ll have the extra health from redeeming all of the bosses, and that’s it. Adam the boss has a similar moveset to Adam the protagonist’s, but with significant added moves. He’s got a lightning spell in addition to the javelins, a fire buff that periodically explodes, sword moves like few video game protagonists can match, and the ability to auto-parry any frontal attack. The patterns are recognizable, and like most of the bosses in the game, the key to victory lies in learning how to react to each attack and then doing that flawlessly, every time. Healing is a riskier proposition here than in most fights, since Adam has ways to hit you from anywhere in the arena, but most of Adam’s attacks leave a bit of a grace period after you dodge, allowing you to attack or recover as appropriate. Adam initially attacks with a straight sword and shield, featuring a devastating combo if you fail to parry, but you can riposte for quite a bit of damage yourself. After you deplete his health by about a third, he’ll switch to the greatsword, which can’t be parried as far as I can tell. I’ve watched some expert playthroughs online, and they all agree that you can’t parry the greatsword. Finally, at the two-thirds mark, Adam sets his sword and armor on fire. This adds some area damage to a few of his attacks and introduces a new timing element - if you’re too close when the armor explodes, you’ll take a bit of damage and your attack will fail. I think the attacks become a lot simpler at that point, though, and the second strike of the combo will never hit you, leaving a wide opening to attack.

Part 6: Adam

Finally, Adam the Sinner recognizes that the only way to end everything is to take all of the sin into themself. We never get to see the end result of this, or any suggestion of what this does to the world, the people who became Avatars of Sin, or anything else. Beating the game unlocks the Blades of Gluttony, which I already had when I started this LP, and the Nightmare Challenge, which I’ll demonstrate as best I can in the next video. Updates will probably slow down from this point, but we’re not nearly done with this game yet.

That fight is absolutely the product someone being disappointed that Gwyn wasn’t the hardest boss in Dark Souls.

Gwyn could be easily beaten by parries, so make Adam immune.
Gwyn didn’t parry, so make Adam parry.
Enemy designer prefers bosses to drag the hell on, so make Adam perfect at parrying.
Other bosses had at least a second phase, so give Adam a third.
Gwyn’s what the Chosen Undead’s pushed to become, so give Adam better versions of every single ability.

Theres a lot i could say. But I think you get everything out in the video. And Mas gets a lot said above.

I just gotta say how much I enjoyed The Pillar Men theme coming in like that. I really appreciated it.

So, just in case you thought this game was way too easy and the appeal of artificial challenges like “beat the bosses in the reverse order of what you did previously” or “make all of the sacrifices before fighting any of the bosses” isn’t enough for you, the game features a Challenge Mode. It’s got room for more, and the press releases hint at multiple “new game plus” modes that I haven’t seen any sign of, but the first entry in the list is the Nightmare Challenge, and I can hardly imagine what more you could want. The added challenge in this boss rush game is… a boss rush. But this boss rush doesn’t give you a chance to recover and restock between bosses. In fact, if you’re not fast enough, there isn’t even a between. It seems as though only certain pairs of bosses will show up together - Rhodes shows up while you’re fighting Faiz Tilus unless you’re really fast, but I’ve never seen Chanel appear before I finish off Rhodes. The good news is that many of the fights are simpler than their equivalents in the main game, often removing moves that make no sense in this arena or wouldn’t be counterable, including many of the desperation attacks. There are also no arena gimmicks like ice holes, tentacles, or phallic rocks to hide behind (sadly), and you don’t need to make any sacrifices to enter this mode, so you can fight at full strength, although it’s probably possible to bail out of the main game at any time to take on the challenge with, say, two health upgrades but minus your shield and items, if that sounds like a more attractive way to do it. I didn’t dedicate much time to trying to perfect my performance for this video, since I have more playthroughs of the main game to go, so I’ll return later with potentially more skill. For now, this is the Nightmare Challenge. It’s probably equal parts fun and tedious.

Part 7: Nightmare Challenge, take 1