Monkey & Trip's Bogus Journey (to the West)

That’s fair. Depends on how they handled it honestly.

I can’t think of any good bridge puns so I’ll just post the update.

Uncut:

Cut:

2 Likes

Glad to see in even the future apocalypse they’re still doing Final Fantasy 5 Job Fiesta. Good run of the Battle on the Big Bridge here. Monk and Black Mage is a pretty basic class layout though.

…well, I tried, but that’s as far as I can stretch “bridge jokes”. Maybe I went a little too far.

Good lord I love the joke about Mark. I think it pushes this gameplay mechanic juuust to the point of tolerability.

2 Likes

I wish I could find some kind of confirmation about it, but I really think they were just giving some shit to one of their co-workers.

The update for next week might be a bit late as I’m making my own journey to the west, but I’ll see if I can get it up by like tuesday?

I didn’t realize the number 8 in this font I’m using for thumbnails looked this awful. Anyway, here’s an update only a day late!

Uncut:

Cut:

1 Like

The afterlife in Transformers is The Well of All Sparks, otherwise known as “The Matrix” or “The Allspark” and is effectively a gigantic amalgam of all the souls. This is why one of the things the series says a lot is “till all are one”. Basically saying that they’ll fight until everyone is united…one way or then other. Robot hell is called The Pit, and is essentially one giant boiler room that melts you down and if you’re worthy, reforms you to the will of robot saten.

Maybe it’s just me, but I really like the character moment at the end here. It’s some good stuff.

…That’s metal as fuck.

1 Like

Fun fact The Pit is a real place and it’s inside the gullet of Unicron (aforementioned robot Satan) and if he eats you you get to go to it.

There’s a lot to be said about how robot hell has an emphasis on the body while robot heaven focuses on the soul, but that’s a discussion for another time. We’ve got monkey adventures to look at.

Perhaps robots just wish to be released from the prison of “flesh” that traps them in the material world.

Been a bit distracted but here’s a late update!

So distracted that I screwed up the upload order of my videos. These are part 10 and part 9 will be posted once they’re uploaded.

Episode 10: Pigsyland

Uncut:

Cut:

2 Likes

Alright so here is the proper update, in the correct order:

Uncut:

Cut:

2 Likes

Anarchy Reigns is awful because it has a bunch of vaguely cool and interesting characters but story mode only cares about two of them and the two it cares about are the least interesting. How the fuck did they mess up “Super Smash Bros Platinum”.

The windmill is…definitely the most “video game” of this video game, design wise. I feel like a lot of your questions are answerable by “damage happened” though. It’s pretty clear we’re doing this the WRONG way. Also god I really like the ending of this part. Onto the next one. The one that introduces a…divisive character, one could say.

I really do like the design of the world in this game. That junkyard is fantastic looking for all it’s grossness. And speaking of gross…oh boy, greasy uncle Pigsy. I actually sort of like him, he fits the original character Zhu Bajie well, but…boy does it feel weird to have a human doing his sthick compared to a literal half pig half human monster thing.

So I sat down with Google Maps and kinda figured it out. Trip’s village is in the western half of Pennsylvania, but east of Pittsburgh somewhere. Pigsyland is probably not much further west, since he did business with the village before the robo takeover.

1 Like

Is Pennsylvania known for fields of wheat?

Or did Andy Serkis just vacation to a lot of farms?

Spend some quality time with your favorite Pig Uncle. Just kidding, Pey’j isn’t in this game.

Uncut:

Cut:

2 Likes

So…as far as “a modernization of the type of character Zhu Bajie is” Pigsy is actually…really well written and executed. He’s annoying and creepy and boisterous and basically just assumes he’s the best person in the area at any given time, but he’s just under the point where that’d be intolerable. Of course that last bit is pretty subjective, Pigsy in this game lacks something that Zhu Bajie had that makes him slightly more tolerable (mostly in that his name all but means “pig who’s trying hard to be a Buddhist” with the implication that he’s just bad at it). As an aside “Pigsy” is a pretty valid name for him in English. It fits, and has no complicated bit of translation needed compared to his like three other names.

And the good news is if you hate him, don’t worry Zhu Bajie in the original tale is like, a third of the time just referred to as “that stupid idiot pig” or permutations of that. Up to and including the omnipresent narrator just calls him “the idiot” sometimes.

That said, man I’m enjoying this. I think we’re almost at the part where I just didn’t finish playing because I had other games to play. Excited to see what actually happens, since I…don’t recall if I actually know or not.

Also my problem with Soul Calibur 5 was that it introduced a bunch of uninteresting versions of good characters and then did nothing with them. The actual unique characters also felt really dumb. Werewolf who’s lover is his stand is an interesting idea, but mechanically he felt bad. But this is a discussion for another time.

4 Likes

I’m pretty amazed at how they both managed to make Pigsy completely disgusting while fascinating to watch.

Oops wow I’m really late on this update, sorry about that.
Also we had some weird audio issues in discord, so we end up cutting each other off a bunch.

Uncut:

Cut:

1 Like

Eh it’s okay, delays happen.

The robo arm is a really nice shade of blue, yeah. It’s also attached to a GIGANTIC GORILLA ROBOT and you walk by the head right after that dark room.

I don’t know any of the specifics, because it’s been forever since I’ve read Journey to the West and it’s…a hell of a long story, but given Beijie in the original is a well meaning if at times utterly incompetent idiot, I can definitely see him trying to get Wukong killed by accident or on purpose through demon antics. And then Wukong promptly ripped them in half because he’s an insanely strong monkey warrior, and probably bopped Beijie on the snout. It’s, for lack of a better term, their syndicated loop. They go to A Place, they find a wanderer who may or may not be a demon, Beijie or Trip get messed up because of their lust/gluttony/idiocy/being a wizard and Wukong punches the demon to death.

Of course sometimes Wukong just kills the demon outright and the problem stems from the fact that since it disguised itself as a human he just punched a man in half but eh, our heroes are all kinda stupid in this story so it works.

1 Like

I don’t even like the Beatles but we’re taking this yellow submarine anyway.

Uncut:

Cut:

4 Likes