Martha, Martha, Martha! - The Comic Book Thread

Update on the Riverdale front: I’ve watched episodes 1 and 2 and it’s basically Cruel Intentions meets Twin Peaks. Archie fucks in 2017, and I couldn’t be happier.

2 Likes

Yeah Riverdale is great. It’s not what I was expecting from an Archie Comics adaptation but I’m enjoying what it is.

Hey look it’s Wednesday which means NEW COMICS:
Nightwing
Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye
MATTHEW F. RACTION AND CHIPLALALALALA ZDPALSKY’S SEXUAL CRIMINALS

1 Like

Decided to take a look at Sex Criminals and well… let’s just say I’m waiting for issue #17.

1 Like

I am super biased towards Sex Crimz, because I’m an acquaintance of Matt and Chip, but that book is REALLLLL good and is something I’ll double dip on from time to time. Also it has the best letter section in comics, to the point where it’s gotten it’s own collection.

1 Like

I mostly read Hellboy and its spin off, and I wait until the trades come out so it’s always annoying to have to wait a few months before I can get my hands on the books.

Also I’m watching Riverdale and loving it even though my knowledge of Archie is mostly limited to some faintly remembered episodes of Archie’s Weird Mysteries.

My knowledge of Archie Comics comes from the covers I’d see in grocery store checkouts, Archie’s Weird Mysteries, and the little bit of the cartoon from the 60’s that I’ve seen. I’ve thought about trying to read some of them but I don’t know where to begin.

The Transformers comics are really good and I’m glad that I jumped on the Humble Bundle with MTMTE because it’s got to be the best of the IDW series by far. I have some of the other IDW trades and a few of the Marvel ones that I got at a convention (saw the Dreamwave ones too but fuck that noise)

There isn’t a OT thread for movies, but this is a comic book thread, so let me tell you something.

The Lego Batman Movie is probably one of my favorite Batman movies out there. It never took itself too seriously (Bat MerchCanon and Shark Repellent and references to the 1966 series, and every villain)

It was a great homage to Batmans of Past, while still making something that’s fun for families and parents, Robin is still lovable and nerdy and funny in this, and the best part is the near end when Robin asks “What Would Batman Do?” By taking a costume called NIGHTWING.

They had a great line-up of celebrity voice roles, and probably my favorite interpretation of Harley Quinn so far. And yes, they even have a silly over-the-top Batman Theme!

So, anyone into french comics as well? I’ve recently started reading very early Tintin comics, and they’re just about as full of colonial and other stereotypes as one would expect from such early comic strips (they’re from like the 1930s).

2 Likes

@jordanhass There actually is a movie thread! What Movies Are We Watching? Plus Repertory Film Chat But talking about comic book movies and shows is okay here so it doesn’t really matter

1 Like

Been reading the reboot archie sonic comics that I got in a humble bundle a while back and I love them. As a lifelong fan of Sonic, they’re everything I’ve ever wanted out of the Sonic franchise.

Aside from my weekly pulls, I finished G.I. Joe vs Transformers (IDW) last week, and it’s kind of the best. It’s 13 issues of insanity, and is worth your time even if you have just a passing interest in those franchises.

Also correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Flash back this week, with a Grodd 2 parter?

A little late for a reply but yeah. Only Part 1 of it was this week though, Part 2 is still next week.

2 Likes

Re: Flash. Noice. Gosh I love giant apes.

PULL LIST FOR THIS WEEK:
Batgirl
Spider-Man/Deadpool
Occupy Avengers

Watched Logan a few hours ago and I have to say that it is easily one of my favorite X-Men movies and maybe one of the best of them? If you haven’t seen it yet and are even vaguely interested in it I highly recommend it. It is of course an R-Rated movie so it’s very :nsfw:

:tw: for extreme violence against all kinds of people and mild nudity. There probably more but I don’t remember despite seeing it only 6 hours ago. [EDIT: There is also talk of suicide]

Happy Free Comic Book Day (okay, that was Last Saturday)

So, Secret Wars is garbage, but you already knew that, but Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is out (featuring Baby Groot, BUY THE PLUSH!)

So what have you picked up in the last couple weeks?

I assume you meant Secret Empire, which is trash, and not Wars which I thought was great.

Image pulls are still Saga, WicDiv, Sex Crimz, Snot Girl and Motor Crush. DC has me w/Young Animal, Nightwing, All Star Bats and Batgirl, and Marvel pulls are Squirrel Girl, Occupy Avengers and Hawkeye. I imagine this will change post Nick Spencer’s Nazi Fantasy.

Also GOTG v2 was great.

2 Likes

This is pretty cool.

4 Likes

Between this and the FXX Deadpool announcement, it was a very good day for comics TV.

1 Like