Here There Be Dragons: Let's Play Ryuutama (Anime is Real Edition)

Shit I guess I gotta make a character now soon as I’m not busy at work.

Resources: http://kotohi.com/ryuutama/resources/

Oh man oh man, I’ve wanted to play this since I backed the kickstarter, but never got a group together long enough to get anywhere.

My name is Ryyan, and I am a Noble. I am the third son of a Baron, which means that my older sisters got all the responsibilities that come from that. Instead of being groomed for the succession, I spent my time in the library. I left home when I came of age because I didn’t want to take part in the political bickering concerning my extended family. That decision was pretty impulsive, as I had never gone farther than the border of the barony until that day. I’m determined to make the most of it, however, and I won’t return until I find the Grand Library, which has been lost for centuries. My vulnerability: I am cowardly, and never did well in the martial lessons.

Character Sheet

This sounds really interesting, I’ll try to have a character up here soon.

My name is Dorian, and I am a hunter. I know the wilderness around my home like the back of my hand and I’ve always felt more comfortable out there than I did hanging around town. At least that was the case up until I slipped and broke my leg, after that it felt almost like I’d been betrayed. Now with my head full stories of the wider world I picked up from passing travelers, and with several months of restlessness built up, I think its time I saw some of the wonders of the world outside my home. I won’t stop searching until I’ve found something truly wild and beautiful. My vulnerability: I’m afraid of heights, and lately when I get too high up I can’t seem to keep my legs from shaking.

My name is Jacob and I am a Minstrel. For as long as I can remember I have loved stories. Everyone knew that I was going to be a minstrel when I grew up. Telling them, learning them, finding the beats and rhythms of them there is nothing about stories that I don’t like. It probably helps that I only ever felt comfortable talking to people when I tell stories. My love of stories has driven me to leave my home in search of new tales even if it means that I have to talk to people. My vulnerability: I am only able to feel confident about myself when I am telling a story and as such I find it very difficult to get through social interactions.

My name is Koal and I am a Merchant. Not long after I came of age, I inherited my family’s construction business. Since we were based in a town plagued by natural disasters, we always had plenty of work. But one day, a stroke of bad luck led to a storm destroying most of the town; far more than we could afford to rebuild. With no one in town capable of paying for our services, I decided we need to bring in money from other towns. I gathered up some of our excess inventory, slapped it on a pack mule, and set out in an attempt to sell to whoever would buy it. With my siblings rebuilding the town pro bono, it was up to me to cover our expenses. My vulnerability: growing up surrounded by natural disasters has not desensitized me to them. Instead, it has granted me a crippling fear of all of them. Dark clouds? Strong vibrations? Faster than average winds? All of them will put me on edge for the rest of the day.

EDIT: I forgot to talk about schedules!

If we do 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday, I’ll only be able to meet for 2 and a half hours. If we met on Tuesday, I’d be able to play for the full three hours.

Character Sheet

Let me know if I left out something important!

My name is Deneb and I am a Healer. At a young child I was adopted by an old crone in the forest who taught me herbalism and the ways of magic. She wasn’t a very friendly woman to outsiders, the locals considered her something of a spooky witch, but she was kind enough to me. Because of this I didn’t really meet a lot of people as I was growing up. One day she found me looking wistfully into the forest and told me I’ve learned all she could teach and I could either stay here and live the same life she did, or strike out on my own.

So I left.

My vulnerability: I lived an extremely sheltered life in the woods and do not understand society at large. Also I’m literally a witch.

I’ve never played a tabletop game myself before, but the rules don’t look too complex and I’ve listened to basically one million tabletop podcasts, so I’ll give it a try.
I’m Alice, an artisan. I’m the daughter of a famous cook, who wrote the highly used cookbook “Anaconda to Zordfish: A Recipe Book for Adventurers and Restaurateurs Alike.” I wanna travel the world to develop my skills enough to open my own restaurant, and maybe make some recipes of my own.
Vulnerability: I’m fairly excitable; I see monsters as meals long before I see them as dangerous creatures that could kill me.

[details=Character Sheet]

Got most of this filled out, except for initiative, which can’t be changed for some reason. It should be 14.[/details]

[quote=“Fefnir, post:10, topic:2108”]
Vulnerability: I’m fairly excitable; I see monsters as meals long before I see them as dangerous creatures that could kill me.
[/quote]Yessss.

http://rutabagacomic.com/?page=1

1 Like

I would have loved to join this, but since it would mean I would have to be available at 02.30 in the morning my time I am afraid I can’t. So, fuck you Jenner and all you US people with your timezones :wink:

Oh nooo! I would have loved to have had you. I’m sorry about time zones! If enough folks from the far off timezones are interested I may run a second INSOMNIA GAME after this one where I stay up until 3 AM while everyone else is on a normal schedule.

Since I’m here I should take the opportunity to let everyone know that I’m gonna close applications on Wednesday and make my selections so if anyone else is considering applying please do so (spread the word, or whatever.)

Additionally I wanted to explain how this was going to go a bit. Each Ryuujin has a type of story they tell, and adventure travelers undertake while in their care. I would like to cycle through each Ryuujin, starting with Green but then voting on the next cycle until we’ve done all the dragons. Then, if you all want, we can do the Big Adventure (it has a specific name but I’m on my phone right now. I’ll edit this when I get to my laptop.)

For those who are too lazy to read up on the Ryuujin here’s a TL;DR: (I’m gonna edit this when I get to my laptop too.)
Green Ryuujin: Largely interested in adventure and discovery. Not prone to much combat, a lot of exploring and environmental hazards.
Blue Ryuujin: Likes romance subplots and character bonds, a very roleplay centric campaign with lots of NPCs. Personality conflicts abound.
Red Ryuujin: All about combat, conflict, and strife. Expect a typical dungeon crawl with lots of monsters and some traps. There might be some NPC diplomacy and military drama.
Black Ryuujin: Backstabbing, intrigue, huge jerks being huge jerks, shitty politics, bureaucracy for miles. Fun fun fun!

When I make my selections I’ll be introducing the players to their first dragon and we’ll be moving on from there. I have a rough idea of what I want to achieve and a loose storyline in mind already for each dragon. But it’s up to us to get there together!

Hype hype hype?

2 Likes

There’s also the fact that Ryuujin are caretakers of dragon eggs, and that they follow travelers to write down their story to ‘feed’ the new dragons. So if we are to have four Ryuujin following the same party around, it sounds like these four have been given the task of caring for one egg. Sort of like four writers/editors being forced to work together on one manuscript.
Regardless, I would vote for our first Ryuujin to be Green.

Hey I know it’s a day early but I don’t think I’m going to get any more applications so I’m just gonna announce who I’ve picked today okay?

Our party will consist of:

@Breadmaster as Ryyan the Noble.
@LoakaMossi as Koal the Merchant.
@heyboots as Deneb the Healer.
@Fefnir as Alice the Artisan.
Congratulations! (I’m sorry @IFS and @Raptor-Senpai, your applications were both good too and I waffled a lot!)

Each of you please look through the Ryuutama playbook I linked, and select your stats and role. The resources @heyboots provided have a character sheet which is a fillable pdf that you can use. I’d like it if you edited your original post with a link to your sheet and this info but I’m not going to be a huge jerk about it.

Additionally I need each of you to draw a map in a 300x300 area and email it with the subject line Ryuutama Map Piece to soiendure@gmail.com as soon as you can so we can get started. The first session will be us establishing characters, building the world, explaining the system with a couple example encounters and then (if all that doesn’t take too long) starting out on the adventure.

Finally, when should we do this thing? Weekends are, unfortunately, not going to be good for me so that leaves us with weekdays. I was tentatively scheduling it for Wednesday at 8:30 PM EST but LoakaMossi would have to quit early. We could start at 8? Let’s spend this week getting maps done and characters done and hammering out a time, okay? I’m gonna update the OP and the 2nd post now.

I’m excited to play with you all!

2 Likes

Wednesday should be fine for me, but I don’t know if I’ll quite be able to make 8 precisely. Dinner can be late at times.

Okay let’s just do Wednesday at 8:30 PM EST and we’ll just stop when @LoakaMossi has to duck out and only play 2ish hours.

Can @Fefnir, @heyboots, and @LoakaMossi try to get your map pieces to me before Wednesday? I’d like to play this Wednesday if possible. We can work everything else out in session.

I’ll get to it eventually.

I think I can get it in either today or tomorrow, depending on how soon I can finish up thread stuff. I’ve got a pretty good idea of what I’ll be drawing out, at least.

Got all the map pieces. Piecing them together now and will be updating the OP when done. Get familiar with the rules, roles, etc the first session is Wednesday, Jun 21st, at 8:30 PM EST. I’m hype! :dragon:

THE MAP HAS BEEN COMPLETED, CHECK THE OP.

I’ve taken the liberty of drawing a bit on some of your map pieces, I hope you don’t mind. I did so to add ETE hubs in an vain attempt to keep one of my planned storylines viable. But it’s going to be cooperative so if none of you want anything to do with the ETE you’ll never encounter them. I’m not going to ram them down your throat.

We need more towns and outposts and empires so after we make our characters on Wednesday we’ll be adding those together using the Draw Tool in Roll20 and then I’ll be manually approximating them into the map. Ryyan’s gonna need a barony somewhere, we’re gonna want some other factions, and we’re gonna wanna establish borders/etc and name the world as well as all the places that weren’t already named! (Or are vaguely named, like the ETE hubs, those are placeholders.)

See you Wednesday, Jun 21st , at 8:30 PM EST.
Here’s a Link to the Roll20 campaign I created: https://app.roll20.net/join/2316343/1-kwsg JOIN UP!

Jenner said she might be a little late so she asked me to get the call going later, I’ll DM everyone a link to the google hangout we’re gonna use when I get home from work.

Y’all might wanna get in the Google Hangouts chat and start prepping because I’m serious about this and gonna get in hella trouble for starting game on my Data in 7 minutes.