Lights, Camera, Action! Let's Debut in Tokyo Mirage Sessions

I don’t know about the original game, but I’m pretty sure New Mystery of the Emblem directly refers to Tiki as Naga’s daughter. Probably around the Ice Dragon Shrine, since that’s where most of the dragon plot happens in that game.

Even if it’s a different game, it’s really weird seeing Chrom wielding anything that’s not the Falchion. Are there dragon-type units for the Falchion to be effective against?

I love how Touma gets completely upstaged as the “big bro” character. It’s so dumb

I feel like Touma being upstaged is going to be a running thing.

1 Like

Do non-special weapons break in TMS like FE?

There’s no weapon durability in this game. That’d be a really weird and awkward mechanic to implement in a standard JRPG, doubly so in this game when your weapons are also your Stands Personas Mirages.

Edit: Now I’m imagining Chrom shouting in terror and/or nausea every time he’s swung around, and now that makes me wish the Snake Sword DLC from Metal Gear Rising was released outside of Japan.

2 Likes

Now that we have some marching orders, we have access to the world map. Shibuya is the main hub of the game and where we need to go for the plot, but before we go there, we’re gonna take a quick detour back to Daitama.

If we were so inclined, we could go back to the first dungeon, but that’s not why we’re here.

Instead, we have our first request. There are two types of sidequests in the game, and these are by far the more common of the two. They usually just require you to go talk to someone or collect five of some enemy drop, and accordingly the rewards are usually lackluster.

Hey! Are you interested in fortune-telling? I got something you can help me with. Is that all right?

Accepted Request: Lucky Spot 1

See, I’m the president of the Fortune Telling Club, and I want to practice my gift, if you know what I mean! And that’s where YOU can help out! All you gotta do is let me look into your future and then you report back after!

Hm… Huh… Eh…? EUREKA!

“Approach with modesty, and outcomes shall be favorable. Approach with haste, and nothing shall go as planned.” …Or if I guess if you want the “quick fix,” as it were, then you should go forth! Onward, to Daitama’s round elevator!

Well, that’s awfully specific and not at all what you said. But this is a simple one so let’s go ahead and knock it out.

Sure enough, if we head down the first elevator in Illusory Daitama, there’s a shiny on the ground.

Got a Treasure Key

Really!? Huzzah, it worked! You know, Itsuki, this means now you HAVE to acknowledge my gift! Call me Kanae the Soothteller!

Whew! All right, see you in class!

And for our troubles we get a minor recovery item. Hooray?

Anyway, speaking of class, one of the nifty things about the game is that the characters carry on with their daily lives in between chapters. You can check their Topic page on the gamepad to see what they’ve been up to since yesterday, so let’s have a quick look:

[quote]Touma

today, an extra…
tomorrow, a hero!!!
I AM… TOUMA AKAGI!

AAAAARRRGGGGGH!
What’s up?
what are you acting all calm for!? you know we have a test tomorrow! holy crap i am not sleeping tonight
Why don’t you study then?
what, you feel like you’re ready for it?
Eh. So-so, I’d say.
woooooow, this crap again? yeah, i can tell you’ve been studying your ass off!
No, seriously. I haven’t really had a lot of time for that.
there’s no time to waste! gotta use these final moments to cram as much as i can!
HRRAAAAAAAHHHHH!

Best of luck to you.[/quote]

[quote]Tsubasa

Hope I get this…!
#tryingsomethingnew
#notadiet

Itsuki! how’s studying going? you ready for the next test?
Eh, it’s going okay… How about you, Tsubasa?
we only have tests in two subjects tomorrow, so I just finished reviewing. now I"m going to sleep early! :slight_smile:
There’s three subjects tomorrow. English, Literature, and Math.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Tsubasa?
I FORGOT MATH!!! D8
actually, I probably blocked it out of my mind because I didn’t want to think about it…

Good luck.[/quote]

I bet Itsuki is that fucker who never studies for anything and aces all the tests anyway. You know the type.

It was me, I was that fucker

Anyway, let’s get a move on over to Shibuya.

Music: Shibuya

Shibuya is pretty big! But for as big as it is, there’s really only a handful of places we really care about.

…But before we can do any exploring, let’s see what Tsubasa wants.

[quote] AAAAAAAAAAAAA
What’s wrong?
what’s wrong!? our first lesson is about to start! x_x
I see Tsubasa’s nice and nervous!
The studio I"ve having you two visit today is called the Uzume Lesson Studio.
It should be right across the street from the train station. It has a really flashy sign - you can’t miss it.
Looks like you still have some time. Why don’t you check out Shibuya while you’re looking for the studio?
Tsubasa, this is going to be your first step into the entertainment world.
There will be good times and there will be bad times, but just remember: it’s all to help you become a star. See you![/quote]

Well that’s encouraging. I’m sure this lesson will go swimmingly.

As usual though, let’s poke around a bit first. The cafe is functionally identical to a vending machine, but it costs a bit more and you tend to get better luck boosts out of it. Really, it’s mostly there to be a hub for sidequests later.

Continuing around counter-clockwise, we have the Hee-Ho Mart. This is where we stock up on items.

Hi Anna! Not even a change of genre can stop you from being the merchant, I see.

You earn Melmarks based on how much money you spend, which is basically a lottery entry. You can turn them in to a couple places for a chance at prizes, including consumables, concept art, and eventually even stat-ups.

Like so. :toot: As you might expect, this is heavily influenced by your luck stat, so if you can jack up Itsuki’s luck before coming in, you can clean house.

Across the street, we have Carabia Jewelry. This is our one-stop shop for new accessories.

Music: Carabia Jewelry

Like the Hee-Ho Mart, the clerk is another cameo. This time it’s Aimee, the merchant from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

So as I mentioned way back in the third or fourth update, accessories actually pull double duty as both armor and a stat boost. Right now, the Power Bangle and Mage Ring are both pretty useless as stat boosts (they’re worth 1 Str and Mag respectively), but they’re still worth it because they more than double our armor. Unfortunately, they’re also very expensive, and right now we can only afford one piece of equipment. We’ll be upgrading everyone else as soon as we have the funds, but for now we’ll settle for buying a Power Bangle for Itsuki.

With our shopping out of the way, let’s see what awaits us inside the lesson studio.

:siren: Barry Goodman :siren:
You should really, really watch this one.

U-Umm… Are you… our training instructor?

SHUT UP! I’m still doing my signature pose!

S-Signature pose…?

Here it comes…!

I’m… Tsubasa Oribe… sir. It’ll be a pleasure to work with you.

Okay, Tsubasa! Got it! You can call me Barry.

Okay, Barr- Wait, Barry Goodman…?

Someone you know?

Maybe. I remember a Barry Goodman was one of the guitarists at Kiria’s live concert a few years back. Apparently he was a guitarist for a famous American rock band, and his solo albums sold millions. But… that Barry Goodman was a lot more athletic-looking than him… so it’s probably a different person…

What!? How much weight exactly did you put on!?

Tsubasa!

O-Oh! I-I’m- I’m so sorry!

Don’t worry about it. The little lady’s got a point! Barry Goodman’s just a Merry Fatman now.

Yeah, that’s all in the past now…

So this is actually a real thing. Barry is based off of Marty Friedman, a former guitarist from Megadeth who moved to Japan in 2003. Since then he’s launched a record label under Avex Group, appeared on Japanese TV (including as a regular member of the TXN musical program Hebimeta-san, literally “Mr. Heavy-Metal”), and has done concert tours for the Bravely Default original soundtrack. Here he is doing a metal cover of the theme for a slice of life anime.

I’m Itsuki Aoi. Nice to meet you.

Maiko told me to give lessons to some rookies. And anyone who enters this studio starts out a rookie!

I’ll try my best!

Good answer. I’m pretty in the zone today! All right, we’ll train three times faster and tougher than normal!

Three times normal…? Do we really have to?

And they’ve only got a couple limited editions that come with a special bonus! Gah, I gotta get there on time!

O…kay?

What, you got something to say!? I’m not allowed to be a fanboy? HUH!?

I-I didn’t say anything!

If I can’t buy the limited edition, my life is OVER! So I need you guys to cooperate and finish this quick!

I-I got it! Triple speed’s fine by me!

Maiko asked me to give you the full boot-camp experience. Honestly though, I’d say triple speed still isn’t enough.

All right… You better prepare yourselves, rookies!

Barry’s lesson begins…

I can’t feel an ounce of your soul in your singing! If you’re gonna howl and wail, get in the alley with the dogs!

Listen, Tsubasa. My training can help your voice. But, you think you’re gonna move anyone singin’ like that?

No…

‘Cause that’s what I’m hearin’! Keep singin’ like that, and there’ll be no point puttin’ you on a stage! You’re an entertainer now, Tsubasa - a professional! People are gonna pay big money to see you perform!

You need to understand what it means to be a professional. If you can’t do that, quit now and get outta showbiz!

I can’t do that! I need to find my sister! I have to-

All you’re doin’ right now is singing for yourself! I can’t feel any message you’re tryin’ to put into it!

For myself? Then how do I… put a message within my song…?

I can’t just GIVE you the answer! You gotta figure that out! You gotta feel it within you!

And you! Itsuki! Don’t just brush this off as Tsubasa’s problem. I’m talkin’ to you too.

Y-Yes, sir!

Awright! One more try!

O-Okay!

Tsubasa gives it one more shot and…

If you want me to teach you anythin’ else, you better go study up on your “Dia Witch Iroha”!

…And then Barry storms off. Good lesson, everyone.

Don’t worry about it. I’m sure I made a lot of mistakes too. You just ended up taking most of his criticism.

sigh I guess it’s tough being an idol, huh? All this has got me thinking…

About Ayaha?

Yeah… I didn’t expect you to guess that so easily.

Just had a feeling.

It’s just hitting me hard, realizing what a tough world my sister was living in…

All the training and work as an idol may have been really difficult, but she never even showed a hint of that. She was always so kind whenever she was back home, and she was so cool and brilliant whenever she was on TV… sigh I’m probably just not cut out to be an idol like her.

We haven’t even watched that anime Barry told us to study.

Pfft…

…Did I say something funny?

I just… imagined watching one of those magical girl shows with you. Kind of a weird mental image… But thanks for trying to cheer me up. I guess you really never change, huh?

I’ll give it some more thought on my own. I’ll see you later!

Oh…

And then Tsubasa ditches us too. Naturally, this is when Kiria walks in.

H-Hello. Uh, um…

Yes?

Well, uh… thank you for rescuing us at Daitama.

Don’t worry about it… But I just walked past your friend. She okay? She looked pretty depressed about something.

We just had a lesson with Barry… and we just ended up making him mad.

Hmm. Well, getting mad is basically Barry’s job.

So. You got to stand there and listen to her sing, right? What did you think?

I was just trying to keep up… I couldn’t listen much. But I don’t see why he had to criticize her so hard…

Huh. So I see…

I don’t know if I’d go that far, myself… but I guess so.

Really.

A singer has to use their song as their words.

Huh?

As a singer, she’s still a newborn baby. Hasn’t learned how to use her words, you know? But… a baby still has emotions. That’s why they cry, right? Still have to express their feelings somehow.

I… guess so.

So she should have sung as though she was crying. Barry would never miss that message.

So… you’re saying I should get Tsubasa to cry… before training starts…?

Kiria silently hands you something…

Here, take these.

Are you asking me out?

She is so disappointed in Itsuki, and she’s only known him for a day. This relationship is gonna go places. :allears:

Tickets. To my live concert.

Concert?

You should come watch it with her. It’s up to her what she takes away from it… but I’m sure that she’ll-

Hm?

…Well, never mind. Yashiro Tsurugi’s my costar. He’s a top-class artist. I’m sure his performing skills can inspire you to be a better Master.

Well, I have to get to practice. See you.

Well this’ll make someone happy, at least. Let’s give her a buzz real quick.

[quote] sorry I left without you today

I was feeling a little down earler… but I still plan on trying my best.
I’ve got a surprise for you.
a surprise?
I actually got tickets direct from Kiria for her concert.
ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW
Super serious. Do you want to go watch it with me? It’s this joint concert thing called the “Siv Live” or something.
SIV-LIVE? THE ONE AT THE 106!?
Yeah, that’s the one.
OMG I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS

wait, so if I hadn’t gone home, I would’ve been able to get the ticket directly from Kiria!? herself!?
AAAH I’M SO STUPID! I shouldn’t have gone home!
At least you get to go to the concert, right?
but I feel like I totally missed out! >:c
I’m glad you’re back to normal. I’ll give you your ticket on the day of the concert in front of the lesson studio.
thank yoouuu! ;w;[/quote]

There’s our Tsubasa. Next time, it’s the first performance of the game. See you then!

5 Likes

Same? Same. Also man I love that this game has texting in it that doesn’t feel out of place. I mean, Itsuki seems so damn formal in his texts but eh, I guess that’s just his style. Tsubasa’s texts are damn cute though.

The little Line stickers are such a neat touch.

I can’t quite place my finger on why but those technicolor silhouettes around town in place of actual people models are really disconcerting.

I love how well the texts distinguish the characters from one another. It is extremely good flavor text.[quote=“MadameTanky, post:58, topic:651”]
I mean, Itsuki seems so damn formal in his texts but eh, I guess that’s just his style.
[/quote]

He hasn’t even used Line stickers thus far. He probably saves them for special occasions.

1 Like

Oh man, Marty Friedman. He’s like, the textbook definition of being Big in Japan. Besides being a television personality, he also sponsors (cowrites? sells? I’m not too clear on this) a line of English textbooks based on geeky otaku topics. Like this one:

I find that with a lot of side quests, what you pick up during the quests are the real reward. Like that fortune telling one where the actual reward is the treasure key, not the pocket tissues (which heal you for 10 HP or so… for some reason).

1 Like

Would some low-key info posts about our voice cast here be a thing people would be interested in? Nothing super big deal, just a brief “here’s stuff you’ve been likely to have heard them in if you watch subbed anime/play games with Japanese voice on like at all” + “here’s other fictional idol stuff specifically they’ve been in”.

I’d probably just do characters major enough to have merited listing in the opening credits, and maybe the party Mirages if I look them up and there’s more than one or two relatively notable there (e.g. Chrom’s doesn’t do much idol stuff off the top of my head but he’s done a lot of solid other stuff).

I feel like it’s interests that’d get me super made fun of over on SA but Japanese voice actors and the plethora of fictional male idol properties recently are both fandoms I hang out in, and Itsuki’s actor in particular has been in a lot. I’m less conversant in the ladies but I’m sure I could still throw something together okay. :3:

Also, Artix, probably don’t worry about it until we get all the playable characters (since there’s no way we’re not getting at least Kiria and probably Yashiro later :stuck_out_tongue:), but would you mind posting all the bio pages (with the signatures) later? Itsuki’s as seen in that mechanics post is a scrawl but I’ve seen some real cute stuff done with idol signatures in other franchises.

2 Likes

If you cry your makeup will run, tissues help get rid of that issue. Makeup is important because you have to keep the brand alive. Therefore, keeping your makeup from getting ruined heals you.

I totally just pulled that out of my ass but it wouldn’t surprise me considering the game we’re dealing with.

1 Like

Barry Goodman is a very good man

4 Likes

I’d love to see some info posts,granted i’m not the Op.

[quote] man! siv-live! i can’t wait! so glad i begged for this ticket. cmon, hurry over to the stage!
[/quote]

All right, all right, we’re coming. Gotta go pick up our date first.

Then let’s go!

It’s a live concert featuring both Kiria and Yashiro Tsurugi! Of course they’re excited!

Right, Kiria mentioned him. Is he really that amazing?

He’s always at the top of the charts! And as an actor, he’s known as the Prince of Ratings! He’s just so amazing!

A live concert this big… Yatsufusa Hatanaka’s probably the only guy who could set up something like this.

Yatsufusa Hatanaka?

Woooooo!

Guys, it’s about to start!

:siren: :siren: :siren: Reincarnation ~ Kiria Kurono (Full Song) :siren: :siren: :siren:

[quote=Lyrics]I’m breaking down—
All the walls I’ve built up around my lonely heart now,
You’re the one that takes it all away,
My solitude and all my pain.
Reincarnation, Realization,
Reincarnation, I want to disappear

I walk alone through the city of lights,
I see the same fake smiles every night,
Cause everyone hides. They run and they hide from their real feelings.
And everyone’s got their stresses too, yeah I know.
But I already get that’s the status quo.
I’m breaking down—
All the masks that I wear to hide my lonely heart now,
But what if I’m just lying to myself?

If even now, you still want me when I am hurt,
wandering lost in the rain.
Then at least help me destroy it all—
My solitude, and all my pain.
Reincarnation, Realization,
Reincarnation, I want to be reborn.
[/quote]

So real talk for a second, this is the point at which the game really grabbed me. Like, I had been enjoying it up to this point, but the Reincarnation AMV was the point at which it was obvious that the game was going all in on the whole idol thing. For me at least, it was that moment where you’re like “Okay, if the rest of the game even comes close to keeping this up, I’m going to love this” and I’m quite glad to say that it did.

The song itself is kinda…eh? It’s the main theme of the game, so if you know anything about TMS or saw any of the trailers, this is probably the one song you’ve heard. It’s not bad or anything, but I think all of Kiria’s other songs are better.

:siren: After the Show :siren:

Whoa… I can see why you were recommending her all the time…

See!? Just by singing… just by standing onstage, Kiria can give people energy!

Kiria! Kiria! Kiria!

Tsubasa?

I… I want my singing to give people that energy, too… I want to be able to shine onstage, just like Kiria!

Tsubasa…

I’ve made up my mind… I’m gonna do it, Itsuki! So never mind all that stuff I said before!

Before?

When I said I wasn’t cut out to be an idol like my sister. Just watch… I’m going to be an idol, no matter what it takes!

I may not be as good as Kiria, but I promise… I’ll sing so I can give people energy and make my fans happy!

I know you can. I’ll be right behind you. I don’t know what else I can do… but I promise I’ll do anything I can to help.

If you’re cheering for me, I feel like I can do anything!

Tsubasa Oribe’s soul as an entertainer has achieved a new awakening… Tsubasa’s inspiration has taken form as a new Performa: Wings of Song!

Wh-What is this…? It… came from within me…

Looks like you managed to find the answer all on your own, Tsubasa.

Ms. Maiko?

And that Performa is proof that you found the inspiration for your own answer, Tsubasa. You just opened up a door within you to a new gift.

A gift…

Now then, next up would be Yashiro’s… gasp

So, I know Kiria just had the whole rain thing as part of her show, but something tells me demon portals aren’t part of Yashiro’s performance.

Wh-What is that…?

Wooooooooo!

Is everyone else not seeing this?

Nngh… Everything’s just a huge pain… Why does everything seem so… pointless…?

Is this some kind of Mirage attack…? But I’ve never seen anything like this…

Well, I think we’ve found our mastermind. I can’t believe she crashed the stage like that, absolutely no respect for concert etiquette.

You won’t escape…

I said you won’t escape!

Out of my way.

Well this sure was a short dungeon, thanks for coming everyone, let’s do a boss fight.

Of course, as soon as we get on stage, our mysterious assailant throws a wave of energy at us.

Itsuki! Touma!

So yeah. Meet Ayaha Oribe, Tsubasa’s long-missing sister.

I dunno about you, but I think she seems happy to see her little sister.

Tsubasa!

Kiria takes a bullet for Tsubasa. Man, we’re just batting a thousand here today.

What… do you think you’re doing…? We’re in the middle… of a battlefield…!

No… Kiria… Because of me, s-she…

I must… continue my mission… and return to the Idolasphere.

Wait… Ayaha, wait!

And so Aya disappears into the next dungeon. Can’t ever do things the easy way, can we?

Dammit, she’s hurt pretty bad… This doesn’t look good. We need to fall back and regroup.

You… have to go after her. Something… is about to happen here. If we stop now, who knows what could happen to Shibuya… or the world…

B-But how are we supposed to fight against that many enemies…? I… I can’t fight my sister…

Stop making excuses!

…!

For five years… you were looking for her, right? But you didn’t have any clues… and no power to save her… But now you do. So you have to go after her… no matter what.

You’re all Mirage Masters now. Like it or not, you’re already involved in this. So, there’s no point just running from your fate - when it’s given you a chance like this.

Kiria…

Kiria!

Don’t worry, I’ll take care of her. The rest is up to you… Be careful, everyone.

Don’t worry, Ms. Maiko, we got this! This looks like the perfect time for a heroic comeback!

We’re the only ones that can do this.

It’s all right, Tsubasa. We’ve got your back.

O-Okay!

3 Likes

Well, that’s one plotline that quickly came to a head.

1 Like

I was honestly impressed that missing sister showed up so early. I thought that they would drag that out until endgame, but nope. You find Tsubasa’s missing sister in Chapter 1.

3 Likes

they really get to the point in this game compared to every SMT

2 Likes