Lights, Camera, Action! Let's Debut in Tokyo Mirage Sessions

We’re gonna be taking a short break before starting Chapter 2, so no Thursday update this week. I have several hours of footage I need to sift through for updates, plus I still need to play through most of Nier Automata.

:siren: A Family Reunion :siren:

And just like that, everything’s back to normal. That wasn’t so hard.

Invade our world…?

Tsubasa…

Aya!

I… I heard your song. I think that’s why I didn’t give in… I heard my sister - my sweet sister - singing for me. Thank you.

A-Aya… Sob

I’ll live. I’m fine now, thanks to your help. More importantly, Itsuki… Thanks. For saving Ayaha.

I think Tsubasa probably deserves to hear that more than me.

chuckle Yeah, guess so.

This scene is a little weird because it jumps from Aya/Tsubasa to Itsuki/Kiria and then back to Aya and Tsubasa. Neither group is actually talking to each other here, but it’s still clearly one scene and it’s kind of awkward. Oh well.

Tsubasa, when did you get so tall…? And your singing was so beautiful…

:relieved:

:siren: Welcome, Kiria :siren:

Itsuki, Touma, Tsubasa… I knew you could do it. I shouldn’t expect any less from my favorite rookies! Ahhh, drinks tonight will taste even better than usual! Oooh, maybe I’ll even crack open that vintage…

Oh, but first… there’s something we’ve learned about Mirages from this whole incident.

They’re working together - that’s what you mean, right?

Yes. It appears as though the enemy is some kind of organization from another world, intent on invading ours.

I’ve had my suspicions before… All the attacks so far have been small in scale, but I believe these Mirages are organizing… and may have a leader.

I’ve been thinking about fighting with Itsuki and the others from now on.

Yes, I think that’d be a good idea, too. Make sure you look after them, Kiria, all right?

Specifically, I was thinking Itsuki should continue to command us for combat.

Hmm… I see.

Um… Are you sure you want me being the leader?

Seems like the practical thing to do. I’m sure you’re aware of just how much you already accomplished back there.

You’re so indirect, Kiria… Why don’t you just tell him how impressed you are with his abilities?

Anyway, that’s all.

D-Does that mean… from now on… we’ll be working together with Kiria more often!?

That’s how it is. Looking forward to working with you, Tsubasa.

L-L-Likewise…! I-I may still be new, b-but I hope we get along, what with the nice weather we’re having…!

Tsubasa… I think this is where you just say, “I’m looking forward to working with you too.”

I-I’m wooking forward to lorking with you too!

chuckle You’re pretty funny.

Man, Kiria joining forces with Touma and Itsuki, the dynamic duo… We’ll be unstoppable!

I think we’re pretty good already.

You’re pretty confident, huh? I guess we’ll see if you’re all talk.

Kiria joined the team.

:toot: We’ll have a look at Kiria in the next update, but suffice to say that she’s pretty good and will probably be replacing Tsubasa for a while.

I’d like you all to welcome a new friend to our little office!

H-Huh? Aya?

I hadn’t told you, Tsubasa… but I’ve decided to work at this office, as part of the staff.

Wh-Whaaaaaaat!?

I want her back in the entertainment business eventually, so this is essentially some light rehab first. Better not slack off, Tsubasa, 'cause now I can get her to kick your butt if you do.

Auugh…

Huh? Me?

I was wondering if you’d be interested in a… private lesson? It’d be fabulous. Scandalous. Delicious.

Wh-Wh-What are you-

Ahaha, your face! Just a joke…! Then again, if you’re interested… I certainly wouldn’t say no…

This is the face of a man considering his next words very carefully.

I-Itsuki!?

You- You scumbag, you slimeball, y-you sleaze…! Ugh! Why do all guys only want the same thing…?

Huh? What’s wrong? Ms. Maiko’s a veteran in the entertainment industry. Her advice would be really helpful. After all, I still don’t even have any idea if I should focus on singing, acting, or something else entirely…

Oh. Well, that’s… not exactly how I meant it. Seems like my jokes went right over your head.

Huh?

sigh Geez…now I feel like I’m the one with a dirty mind…

Ah, one last thing… Well done, you three. You did a fine job. Thank you…for saving Ayaha.

All in a day’s work, boss. All in a day’s work.

The next scene happens regardless of your response to Maiko’s question, but it feels like it belongs a bit better if you act like an idiot in front of Tsubasa. I indulged the game on that particular choice, but we won’t be doing that a whole lot for reasons that will make sense in like…30 hours.

Just wanted to confirm something. Is there any field in particular that appeals to you? Singing, acting, anything…?

Well… I never really planned on getting in the entertainment business in the first place, so I’m not sure…

Just relax. You can say whatever’s on your mind. You don’t have to think too hard about it.

Let’s see… This time around, I had you join Tsubasa for her voice training. How was it? Did it make you feel like you’d enjoy being a professional singer?

To be honest… I’d prefer to support others than actually become a singer.

Support?

I want to help Tsubasa out. I’d like to see her become an idol and sing in front of an audience, rather than end up one myself.

I’m sorry I’m so directionless right now.

Huh?

It would’ve been best if you had a preference…but if you don’t, there are always other ways to handle it.

Uh, Ms. Maiko? It kind of sounds as though you’ve already decided what I’ll be doing…

I guess you could say it just came to me. We don’t have the luxury of letting our talent just sit around, so… I’ll just train you in everything!

E-Everything…!? Th-That’s crazy! You’re asking the impossible!

To do the impossible, sometimes you have to get a little crazy! Oooh…now how am I going to market you…?

Wait, me!?

With this many teenagers around the place, I’m sure everyone’s got their own problems to deal with. So I’d like you to be there for everyone if they need it. You could call it…emotional maintenance.

That’s right, Itsuki, you’re the in-house therapist. Strap in, motherfucker.

Uh-huh…

I think you’d be pretty good at this kind of thing, Itsuki. Just look at all you’ve done for others already! Plus, helping those in the industry through their problems is bound to be a good learning experience for you!

So I want you to do your best, Itsuki! Let’s climb these steps to stardom together!

There are a couple of broken SA emoticons that don’t have an equivalent here in your update. Might want to replace them with something else.

Alternatively, provide the image and request them here. Custom emojis 🐍

Itsuki will now be known by his job title: Sidequest Boy.

1 Like

Itsuki, you better grab a bass and provide the foundation for this funky troupe ASAP

3 Likes

[quote] Hey Itsuki! I’ve got your first line of missions to help you on your rise to Stardom! First is a dance lesson with Barry… and the other’s going to be a secret <3
It’ll be at Uzume Lesson Studio. You know, the place where you and Tusbasa had your first lesson. Barry says you can come by any time![/quote]

So welcome to the first intermission! After you complete each dungeon, the game gives you a breather period where you can just kinda fuck around, do sidequests, and catch up with everyone without the pressure of the plot. You don’t have to do this, mind you. As Maiko said, you can head to Barry’s studio to hop back into the plot, and you can abandon the plot at any time to go do sidequests. But since the game was so kind to offer it, let’s use the time to catch up with some friends.

First though, Kiria has officially joined the party, so let’s see what she brings to the-

…Oh. Oh dear. Is that…is that a pirate Miku outfit? Really? Sweetie, we need to have a talk, and it begins with changing back into your street clothes yesterday.

If it wasn’t obvious from the stat spread, Kiria is our dedicated black mage. She starts with Ice and Dark magic, but she’ll eventually pick up everything except electric spells, including the almighty family. Much like Teddie in Persona 4, her problem tends to be that she has too many tools to work with - you just don’t have enough skill slots to properly kit her out in Fire/Ice/Wind and Concentrate for maximum damage potential and give her Megidolaon for emergencies and keep her up to date with status ailments.

Anyway, let’s go do some sidequests. We unlocked Touma’s first one in the last dungeon, so let’s start there.

[quote] hey itsuki. they’re gonna hold auditions for a new charcter in raiga.
so for preparation, i need to get hyped up. so… wanna go watch the show with me? i’ll be at central street in shibuya![/quote]

Well that’s just right across the street! Let’s go see the show.

This is uh…kind of a joke. You can tell which quests require you to fight things because they’ll have a recommended level, and 7 is about six levels too high for this one.

That’s the spirit! All right, let’s head there right away! It’s gonna be at the Toubo Department Store in Ikebukoro.

And sure enough, we have a new location on the world map.

There’s a nice little cafe here and a handful of folks to talk to, but nothing really worth showing off.

:siren: Masqueraider Raiga, Part 1 :siren:

It’s a bit late to ask this now, but what’s Raiga?

I told you so much about it and you don’t remember?! He’s a hero, man! A live-action hero that I can’t love enough!

Uh-huh.

There’s gonna be an audition for the TV series soon, not just one of these live shows. I gotta watch this to get hyped!

You seem pumped up.

Of course I am! The whole reason why I got into this industry is to become a hero!

Clad with lightning’s might, the fangs of justice shall crush the nefarious Valhalla Pharmaceuticals! I am-

Oh, looks like it’s starting.

…R-Right.

Yaaaaaaaaay!

Lightning Systems, all green!

Gwaaaaaaaargh!

All right!

It was good. No wonder you’re so into it.

Right? Right!? Wasn’t it worth coming to see!? It was all… Masqueraider Raiga!

…Excuse me. You’re in the way.

The hell’d you say!? …Wait. Who’re you?

Does that really matter? Don’t you feel dumb for getting all into this fake show?

Then why’d you come see it? Didn’t you like the show too?

Not one bit. I’m just here to kill time.

Besides, all that stuff about friendship and justice and victory is irritating. Those things are fake and only exist in made-up stories.

Oh good, we found a nihilist child. I can’t wait to see what kind of sick burns he drops on Touma for liking a children’s show that he’s way too cool and mature for.

Wha-

There’s no way heroes even exist. Isn’t it time you grew up?

…Hey, why’re you so gloomy? I’d be happy to listen if you waan talk about-

Do I look like I care? It doesn’t involve you anyway. …I’m going now.

…Whatever. leaves

Why the lie? Auditions haven’t even started yet, right?

I just couldn’t leave him be when I saw that loneliness on his face… Making children smile…that’s what real heroes do.

Still… I can’t believe I blurted out something so ridiculous.

Then you just need to get that part, no matter what.

Yeah! I’ll make it happen! Will you come train with me? I still dunno about the sharpness of my moves for action scenes. I wanna brush up on them before the audition.

I suppose I should. I can’t let you become a liar, after all.

I owe you one, Itsuki! I’ll be sure to think of a training regimen.

Well that sounds like a plan to me. As we try to leave the rooftop, Touma gets a little more specific about his “training”.

[quote] now about my training plan… i’m thinking we should hit up the idolasphere in daitama
Okay.
remember those monsters called blobs? i feel like my action skills will get better if I fight a ton of those
Feel like?
c’mon, don’t sweat the details! what’s important is how we approach this!
[/quote]

So yeah, the game wants us to be L7 to fight five blobs. A real vote of confidence there, game. Anyway, the way this quest (and similar ones later on) works, is that Touma or a session that Touma is part of has to kill the blobs or they don’t count. Against blobs, this really isn’t a big deal, but later on the enemies will get a bit trickier and it’ll be harder to work certain party members in.

And you know what, let’s take Kiria for a spin. It’s not like we’re going to need Tsubasa’s combo potential to deal with L2 enemies.

:siren: Training Begins :siren:

I still cannot grasp the reason behind this fixation on becoming a “hero”. Is a hero not defined by their action? Simply striving to become one seems…odd.

Just watch me. I’ll show you what a true hero’s passion is like!

Well, if you wish to train, I suppose I have no reason to object.

Good! Let’s do this, Cain!

There’s really nothing interesting about killing five blobs, especially since even a basic attack would one-shot them several times over. However, it does give me the opportunity to talk about an interesting quirk of weapons.

Namely, the first skill for any given weapon takes…if not literally 0 EXP, then certainly very close. The best I can tell is that there’s a very very low threshold, and as long as you clear it, you’ll instantly get the first skill no matter how weak the fight was. And when I say a low threshold, we’re talking “two blobs didn’t do it, but two blobs and a dark mage or two did” levels. These are L2 and 3 enemies with appopriate experience drops, and Kiria is L15.

Yeah! I think I’ve figured it out! Sharp moves in an action scene involve fast footwork… timing… proper breathing! And going all in!

Touma Akagi’s soul as an entertainer has achieved a new awakening… Touma’s inspiration has taken form as a new Performa: Mind of a Hero!

gasp This radiance…!

Heh, I 've got this down now! Thanks, guys!

And that’s a wrap for Touma’s quest. Let’s head back to the bloom palace and finish up.

:siren: Meeting Tharja :siren:

Huh?

I did not realize one could actually vocalize staring, but I suppose Tharja would be the one to make it happen.

[quote]

Tharja is one of the more…questionable side characters in Awakening. She’s a Plegian dark mage who defects out of boredom, and then spends the vast majority of her time stalking Robin, cursing Robin to be bound to her, cursing a whole bunch of other people for daring to hurt Robin, and bonding with (potentially marrying!) other folks based on their mutual love of Robin. Remember how I said Chrom was the straight man to a bunch of weirdos? Well, here’s exhibit A. TMS mercifully strips out a lot of the stalky bits and writes her as more of a socially awkward weirdo instead, but either way Kiria deserves better.[/quote]

And what’s wrong with just staring from a distance?

It’s much more fun to talk to someone face to face!

Do you…think so too?

If it’s okay…yeah, I’d prefer to talk a little more directly.

…Fine.

Tharja’s a Dark Mage mirage. She’s a little…weird, but when it comes to magic, she’s unbeatable.

Yes.

Uh, I’m Itsuki Aoi. Nice to meet you.

Charmed.

Um…? Is there something on my face?

Just curious. Kiria talks about you sometimes. I have high hopes for you…

I’d appreciate it if you help Kiria out. She can be a little…reckless, sometimes.

Hmm… I know I get a lot of help from Kiria, but I really don’t think she needs much help from me…

I’m counting on you… leaves

Really?

Mhm! I think she thinks you’re interesting. So you should come visit and talk to her from time time.

Well that was…interesting. Despite her weirdness, Tharja is still probably the least interesting of the mirages. Anyway, let’s do the thing we actually came here to do.

Chrom has a new sword we can grab, and Kiria has a whole bunch of Radiant Skills to pick up. We’ve seen EP Fitness before, but Lightoma (reveals traps in dungeons), Bewitching Desire (increases EP recovery from items and spells), and Endless Song (Survives a lethal blow once per battle) are all new.

And of course, the man of the hour. Unlike most Radiant Skills, the sidequest Performas don’t directly unlock anything (like how EP Fitness gives you an immediate MP boost), but they do have some nifty rewards that we’ll see soon.

Oh man, I’m getting nervous…

If you succeed, you shall be able to take your place on this…television business as a hero.

Yeah! Just watch me! I’ll teach you what a hero’s passion is!

I look forward to it. Now, Touma - go and show them the fruits of your training in full!

Right! Make sure you cheer me on!

:siren: Masqueraider Raiga, Part 2 :siren:

…Somehow, I don’t think this is quite what Touma had in mind for the audition.

Too slow!

Whaaaaaat!? He dodged my Raging Stampede!?

Lightning Systems, all green!

Full boost! Raiga Kiiiiiiiick!

Graaaaaaaagh!

gasp Uh, oh no! Ack!

Goddammit Touma, you had one job. One job!

Right!? Wasn’t it awesome? Did you catch it? I sure hope you did! The way that I reeled back when I got hit with the Raiga Kick! If there was a national reeling-back competition, that one I did today would’ve been in the top four! Easy!

Your headpiece came off though.

sigh I didn’t get the part for the show and got this gig instead… But to think it’d be the villain… Ahaha…

Didn’t that director introduce you to this job though? He said he wanted you to get more experience. I don’t think you should be so bummed out about it.

But even so… Even so!

Is it about that kid?

Urk! That’s…well… The next time I see that kid, I’ll just have to honestly apologize to him…

Life rarely happens the way we desire. You must use this experience as impetus to push yourself to greater heights.

Y-You’re right! Yeah! My legend as a hero is just beginning!

That’s the spirit, Touma. And one day, show me what a true “hero’s passion” is like.

Touma Akagi has grown as an entertainer and has become “In the Kaiju Suit”!

3 Likes

Touma’s sidequests are some of my favorites because I enjoy Kamen Rider quite a bit. I never really got why you’d want to give almighty type spells to Kiria because of how good sessions are.

1 Like

I think Endless Song specifically only applies to lethal magic blows in Kiria’s case, not any kind of blow. Other characters get the physical version.

I find that having an almighty skill around can be useful in a pinch against enemies with a lot of resistances/nulls/drains, where you simply can’t pull off a decent session and SP skills are not a good or possible option. It also feels like almighty skills (also dark damaging skills like Flux, but I didn’t bother keeping that around for very long since heavy resistances aren’t a thing early game) do a bit more damage than using an elemental hitting a weakness on the same level to compensate for the lack of session potential.

I can only assume that as you complete Touma’s sidequests he eventually just becomes a full-fledged Rider in battle too.

Who needs a spear when you can just Rider Kick?

1 Like

I believe you mean Raiga Kick

Okay Touma getting really excited over Kamen Rider Masqueraider Raiga is beautiful and pure and I love it. Meanwhile, in our cast…

Kiria, voiced by Yoshino Nanjo

She seems to do a lot of stuff that I have no idea whether or not it’s any good but it gets a billion seasons and I’ve heard of it so I guess someone’s gotta like it? She’s also donned Krile’s white mage robes a bunch so she’s A-OK with me.

Major roles:

• Kokoro Akechi (Detective Opera Milky Holmes)
  • Shirabe Tsukuyomi (Symphogear)
  • Krile Mayer Baldesion (Final Fantasy XIV)
  • vocalist of fripSide since 2009 (notable primarily for every A Certain Scientific Railgun opening)

Idol Roles:
*Eli Ayase of μ’s (Love Live!)

Tharja, voiced by Kana Akutsu

… this is where we start getting into the “too recent to recast but not notable enough to have anything to talk about” crew. Which it looks like actually ended up being smaller than I was worried about, I think we’ve only really got her and one other? But there’s not much to talk about outside of “Thaja, Tharja-but-in-Fates, …not Tharja in Heroes? huh.”

Major role:

• Henrietta (Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino-)

After Touma’s sidequest we get dumped back in the Bloom Garden, and wouldn’t you know, Tiki’s got a quest for us too. Before we do though, there’s a couple quick topics to check. First, Tsubasa is…having some problems, shall we say.

[quote] whenever I make eye contact with Ms. Maiko lately, she does this creepy laugh like “hur hur hur”
…it’s kind of freaking me out, tbh <_< it feels like she’s hiding something. do you know anything about it?
[/quote]

Well that’s reassuring. I’m sure Maiko would never do anything shady in this line of work.

Additionally, now that we have Touma’s first quest done, his profile has been updated:

[quote=In the Kaiju Suit]dammit, i didn’t get
the part. guess i
just gotta train![/quote]

Aw, don’t feel bad Touma. You’ll get there one day!

Anyway, let’s see what Tiki wants.

:siren: I’ll Tiki-Tiki You (For Reals), Part 1 :siren:

There’s someone I want you to check up on…

That…certainly is a quest name. Tiki’s whole quest line in general has some very…unique names and characters.

You got married?

N-No! That’s just a username! Like a nickname! Th-That’s all!

This person composes songs with the Uta-loid program “Tiki” and is referred to online as a god.

That’s amazing.

But you know, it seems like they haven’t been making any songs lately. I was looking forward to Tiki=Waifu’s songs too, so I’m worried that they suddenly stopped composing…

Got it. So, I need to go look for this Waifu person.

Yup! Thanks, big brother! I’m counting on you!

I’ve heard rumors that Tiki=Waifu uses a laptop with a “Tiki” sticker on it, and composes at the same cafe every time.

A cafe, huh? Okay, I’ll keep an eye out.

Before we go any further, I just want to affirm that yes, the game is asking us to go hunt down someone who goes by Tiki=Waifu. Let no one ever say this game is lacking in self-awareness.

We could head straight to the cafe (there’s only one, after all), but we might as well hit up the other mirages while we’re here. It’s important to touch base with everyone, even the ghosts that turn into swords.

Cain

For all his efforts, he could not become a hero. I hope he does not give up from this… Then again, Touma surely would not.

Chrom

Itsuki, you’ve done it! Tsubasa must be relieved indeed to have her sister back.

Caeda

It seems the greatest unease in Tsubasa’s heart disappeared when her sister was rescued… We have you to thank, Itsuki.

And Tharja just asks us to look after Kiria like in the last update. About what you’d expect, all things considered.

Back out in the real world, let’s see what’s going on in the-

[quote] sorry… could you just forget all that stuff I said earlier? about Ms. Maiko hiding something from me?
I shouldn’t talk about her like that. she really helped me when I had to save Aya. I owe her so much…
I’m so ashamed of myself ;_;[/quote]

Come on Tsubasa, get it together girl. This isn’t even your sidequest.

:siren: At the Cafe :siren:

:robot:: Seriously, dude! I’m totally serious! That had to have been Tiki=Waifu!

Hm? Those people over there…

Itsuki…

Yeah, I heard…

:robot:: I saw it with my own eyes, man! Tiki=Waifu was walking around the 106 all sleepy-eyed.

:robot:: Then all of a sudden…poof without a trace. I bet it’s that “spirited away” thing!

:frowning2:: Yeah yeah, all right already. sigh I wonder if Tiki=Waifu retired… I was a big fan too.

What do you think, Chrom?

I can’t say for sure yet. However, the 106… being spirited away… Those points concern me.

Let’s look into it. There is an Idolasphere there and all…

Now that sounds like a lead. We’ll check in with Tiki real quick, then head for the 106.

[quote] Tiki, do you have a moment?
Did you find Tiki=Waifu?
No, but someone saw Tiki=Waifu disappear near the 106.
You don’t think…
Yeah. The Idolasphere might be involved. I’m worried, so I’m going to check out the 106. I’ll contact you if anything changes, so wait for me, okay?
Oh…
?
No, it’s nothing. Be careful!
[/quote]

Hrmm… It’s faint, but I do sense a human’s Performa. …Hm? What is that…?

What’s wrong?

I don’t know, but I sense another presence, too…a powerful one. What in…?

We’d better be on guard then. Let’s go, Chrom.

So this is…strange? I don’t know why this conversation is here - to make you think you’re going to have to fight a miniboss or something? Because if you were paying attention, there’s no recommended level for this quest. In fact, you don’t have to fight anything unless you actively go out of your way to do this in a really inefficient way. You could scour the place from top to bottom, but realistically the only places that we need to check are the 4F midboss room and the boss arena on the roof. Spoiler, we’re looking for the former.

And there she is. At least this is a quick and easy one.

:siren: TikiIsMyWaifu :siren:

Yes. What about it?

I didn’t think you were a girl… There was the phrase “my waifu” in the name, so I assumed…

Tiki is still my waifu. My love transcends gender and dimensions.

G-Gotcha…

And when I came to, I was in this weird place…

Itsuki told her where the exit is…

You can get to a safe place from here.

A safe place? So you’re saying where we are now isn’t safe?

Y-Yeah.

Ahh, so this place was dangerous after all.

I can guide you there if you’re nervous about going alone.

That won’t be necessary. I made it here, so it’s only natural I can make it back.

R-Right.

Thank you for saving me, Nameless Kind Person. I’ll be taking off then. leaves

On our way here, I thought I sensed an odd presence. …Maybe it was just my imagination.

[quote] I’ve safely rescued Tiki=Waifu.
Tiki?
You there, Tiki?[/quote]

I wonder what’s up with Tiki… I guess we should head back to the Bloom Palace and check on her.

That’s…odd. Usually Tiki is on top of things. Guess we should go so see what’s up with her.

:siren: I’ll Tiki-Tiki You For Reals, Part 2 :siren:

No, that’s not it…

(I’ll wait and see what happens…)

It’s not working…

Aw, she’s practicing her poses for taking a carnage form. :3:

Um! Big brother! Th-This isn’t- It’s not what- This is- I-It’s not what it looks like!

So what in the world were you doing?

Um, you promise not to laugh?

I won’t.

You promise promise?

…Um, I was practicing taking on a Carnage Form.

What would you do that for?

I thought that if I could take a Carnage Form like everyone else, I could fight by your side…and save Tiki=Waifu too. Listening to her songs cheers me up so much. I wanted to repay her somehow…

Tiki…

Tiki… we’re already companions though.

Huh?

There are things that only I can do, but the same is true with you, Tiki. I think true companions are those who can complement each other.

You mean it? Am I really being useful for you and everyone else?

Of course. You’re fighting a battle for us here. It’s fine that you don’t take on a Carnage Form.

I see… You’re right.

Okay, I’ll keep doing my best at what only I can do! Thanks, big brother!

Tiki has become Troubled Uta-loid thanks to Itsuki’s influence!

Tiki acquired the backup skill Idola_Safety.exe!

Now this is more interesting. Since Tiki and the other support folks can’t fight, instead of unlocking new skills and abilities, they tend to give you passive buffs for completing their sidequests. In this case, Idola_Safety.exe makes it so that skills and items that have field effects (like Kiria’s Lightoma and Touma’s Estoma) will last longer. Not particularly useful if we’re being honest, but it is her first skill so :shrug:

The last thing of note in the Intermission is this laptop at the office. By using it, we can check to see when everyone’s next sidequest opens up. Tsubasa, for example…

It is too soon for you to being Tsubasa’s next side story. You must progress further in the main story before it will become available.

So even if we did have her at the appropriate stage rank, we can’t do her first quest until we get a little further in. Kiria, on the other hand:

You must increase Kiria’s Stage Rank before her side story will become available.

This means that it is available right now, we just don’t have her at a high enough rank to do it. Generally speaking it’s pretty easy to keep track of this stuff since the Stage Rank screen literally tells you “Yo you unlocked this person’s next side story,” but it’s nice to have everything all in one place, especially for Barry, Maiko, and Tiki who unlock strictly through plot.

Anyway, that’s gonna be it for Intermission 1. Let’s see what the hell Maiko has planned for us and head on to Chapter 2.

:siren: Personal Training :siren:

That was pretty tough, huh?

You seem pretty…into this, Tsubasa…I can barely keep up.

Now that I’ve got my first song coming up… I’m just really fired up, you know?

Are you guys finished with your lesson already?

I decided I’ll be your personal coach. I don’t plan on going easy though. Think you can keep up?

Of course! If you’re the one asking me, I’ll go through any training!

How about you, Itsuki?

Huh? Me too…?

Naturally.

All right, you two. Let’s get to it.

Yes, ma’am! Coach! Miss! Tready for raining!

1 Like

Tiki=Waifu is a very good side character, I feel.

1 Like

Agreed. I like how matter-of-fact she is.

Also: I always like it when characters show that ultimately they’re big goobs like Tiki did in this update.

1 Like

My first guess to Tiki=Waifu’s identity was Xane, because if there’s any Archanean character who would use that username in the TMS universe, it would definitely be him.

I like how Tiki is about as grammatically correct as Itsuki, but she uses her own line stickers.

And so, the day of Tsubasa’s debut came…

:siren: :siren: :siren: Feel ~ Tsubasa Oribe (Full Song) :siren: :siren: :siren:

[quote=Lyrics]It doesn’t matter when,
I just need you to feel this intense emotion.
My wings carry me through the sky,
To make my song last forever, ever, and ever for you.

Feel my voice,
No matter where you are.
Feel my soul,
I want to keep singing for you.
Feel my heart,
I won’t give up my dream,
The world beyond my reality.
I knocked on the door,
When I thought I had thrown away the key.
And waiting in store,
I found a new side of me.

It doesn’t matter when,
I just need you to feel this intense emotion.
My wings carry me through the sky,
To take me back to you.
It doesn’t matter what,
If it’s your dream, I know it’ll come true!
Heart’s beating fast, long as this lasts, I know
I’ll make my song last forever, ever, and ever for you.[/quote]

If you’ve been watching the videos, this one really shouldn’t be a surprise. It’s the same song that she sang for Ayaha on top of the 106, albeit sped up a bit and given some proper backing instruments. It’s not bad, but like Reincarnation, basically every other song Tsubasa has is better (her final song in particular is one of my favorites).

You may also recognize this video as being the source of the infamous vagina bones heist. Never, ever forget that weirdos on the internet should be laughed at all times.

:siren: At the Hee-Ho Mart :siren:

Yeah. Guess I got curious.

Models disappearing, huh… Actually, I’m kind of more surprised you read this stuff.

Well, the headline got my attention. I just picked it up for the article on the live concert at the 106.

Hey, cool! This has an article on Tsubasa too!

…Man, now that I’m seeing Tsubasa in magazines and music videos, it’s finally hitting me that she’s a real idol now. It sounds too good to be true. Her debut song was the one she sang for Ayaha, her music video was just the 106 craziness…

Ms. Maiko was in danger at the time, but I have to wonder if some of this was all part of her plan…

Seriously! When did she have time to get footage of us? She’s either really resourceful or just plain sneaky.

Maiko is incredibly good at her job, and Tsubasa was 100% right to be wary of trusting her. Just saying.

Yeah. It seems like she has crowds around her at every break now.

Sounds like she’s giving it all she’s got. She’s probably over at the lesson studio today, too. Why don’t you go say hi? I bet if you drop by, her motivation’s gonna skyrocket.

You think?

Yep. I do. Now go on, go give her a pat on the back or something.

I think I will.

Good.

And to give you a little extra push, Touma also sends us a topic immediately.

[quote] don’t forget what we just talked about. you gotta help out Tsubasa when she needs it. she should be at uzume lesson studio now
sometimes I worry about you, man. you have these days where your head is just in the clouds.
[/quote]

He’s trying. God bless him, Touma is fucking trying. But alas, nothing can pierce Itsuki. He’s just that goddamn dense.

(She’s wearing a different colored uniform… Is she an employee here? She’s standing at the register, but the “Register Closed” sign is on display…)

Anyway, as we try to leave the Hee-Ho Mart, we get called over to this second clerk.

She sells the more “traditional” SMT items, if you’re so inclined on picking some up. Having a few Smoke Machines on hand in case you get ambushed by a savage enemy is a good idea, but nothing else is really worth the yen unless you’re dying to pick up some extra elemental coverage.

Anyway, a new chapter means new Topics to catch up on. And wouldn’t you know it, we just got a new party member, so let’s see what Kiria’s been up to.

[quote]

somethings you can
only express in music.
so i’ll sing it loud.

sorry, Itsuki. mistype. or something. just forget that you saw it.
I got your topic username from Tsubasa. if there’s anything I need to contact you about, I’ll do it on here.
we need to give it our all. both in show business, and as mirage masters.
we’ll go through both physical and emotional pain. when the others are dealing with that, I want you to be there for them.
heh, sorry… I guess that got a little heavy. it probably sounds like a lot, but I don’t want you to feel burdened.

ugh. more mistypes. ignore those.
when it comes down to it, regular training is what really matters. just keep improving, and I’ll keep helping you.[/quote]

So…pretty much what you’d expect. Kiria would really like you to believe that she’s a cool cat who’s got it all together, but that would make for some really boring sidequests, now wouldn’t it?

[quote] i overheard a girl in shibuya talking about tsubasa! sounds like she’s a highschooler!
guess tsubasa’s popular with girls too. kinda gives me the warm fuzzies, seeing her getting all these fans.

geez though. tsubasa’s really getting a lot of buzz. wonder how far this is going to go.[/quote]

She’s the main character, Touma. We’re stuck on this train until she runs out of tracks. Like, not everything is about her, but she’s going to be getting the most screentime out of everyone. A couple characters even remark on it later on!

Anyway, let’s go check up on Tsubasa and Barry.

:siren: Yashiro Tsurugi :siren:

G-Got it!

Awright, stop. That’ll do it for today!

How’s everything going?

Going good! After all that stuff with Aya, I just feel like a huge weight’s been lifted off my shoulders… I’m enjoying every moment of dancing and singing, now!

Tsubasa’s improved a whole ton from before! Going by Dia Witch terms, I’d say I’d rank her at abooouuut…episode seven.

I… have no idea what that means.

SHIT! Well, anyhow, I’d say you’re good to go now.

I have to hurry and get in line for the midnight release! All aboard the hype train! Choo choo!

So…wait. Was he actually praising me, or…?

I…think so…?

???: Are you done in here?

Oh, sorry. We were just-

You know him, Tsubasa?

Wh-Wh-Wh-What!? Know him!?

…I asked a question, if you don’t mind?

O-Oh, right. Sorry about that. Her lesson just finished, so we’ll be out soon.

Lesson…? It looked more like children at play than anything else.

It’s not play. Tsubasa’s giving it her all.

Hm…? I’m only giving you my honest appraisal.

In any case, you two are getting in the way of my own training. If you wish to play your little games, do it somewhere else. This is a training room for professionals, not an amateurs’ playground.

Fortuna…

…And that would make you a member of Fortuna as well?

Huh? What’s this all about?

Once again, answer my question.

I’m not really a performer or anything like that… But I am a member of Fortuna.

…You’re a rather strange one.

It’s complicated…and none of your business, anyway.

Perhaps.

Pictured: Itsuki’s serious business face. He’s a natural.

Hm…? Just a moment. You. Have we…met before?

M-Me!? N-No… I…don’t think we have… I mean, maybe seen on TV, but…

…Never mind, then. You can go now.

Y-Yes, sir!

He’s the one who started it! So that’s Yashiro Tsurugi…

Because of that Mirage attack, we never saw him at that joint concert… But the show he’s starring in right now, “Labyrinth of Love,” is this season’s number one hit. And he even sings the main theme!

He’s an amazing person! He’s always at the top of the charts as a singer, and as an actor he’s called the Prince of Ratings!

Wish I could’ve seen him perform… if he’s as good as you say he is.

Heh heh heh… Tadaaa!

I got them from Ms. Maiko. I’ve got one for you too, Itsuki! She told me that as a Mirage Master and a member of the entertainment business, I should try to experience all the good things.

That’s pretty generous of her.

Let’s go watch it together!

Oh, I just remembered! I need to head to the office now! I’ll see you later, Itsuki!

Well that was…sudden. Let’s see what’s going on.

[quote] Hey, Tsubasa? I know the lesson should be over by now. I’ve been waiting for a while, you know?

If there’s nothing going on, I need you to hurry back to the office! I’ve got something important to tell you.[/quote]

Damn, Maiko’s getting sassy. I suppose we’d better head back as well.

:siren: Mamori Minamoto :siren:

Huh? Oh, hi.

I heard about you from Ms. Maiko. You’re Mr. Itsuki Aoi, right?

Yeah, that’s me… And you would be…?

I’m Mamori Minamoto.

So if you’re here… Are you… Ms. Maiko’s daughter?

Wh- N-No! I’m a member of Fortuna Entertainment, just like you!

Oh, I see.

Phew… I wasn’t expecting that. You’re kind of a strange person, Itsuki.

I don’t really think so… Oh, but that means you’ve been here longer than me. Should I refer to you as Ms. Minamoto, then?

Oh, no! Just Mamori is fine… Um, I hope we can be friends!

Of course. If you don’t mind, could you tell me more about yourself?

Sorry, I don’t really watch TV…

Oh… really?

Yeah. But if you’re in the show, I’ll try giving it a watch.

Thank you. Please tell me what you think about it once you do.

Um, and I also like ballads a lot… I’m an aspiring singer - or, well, I’ve already made my debut as a singer…

Wow, that’s amazing!

N-No, it’s really nothing that great! I-I did release a CD, but it hasn’t…um…sold very well…

Oh, but that doesn’t mean I’ve given up! I’m still trying very hard so that I can get more job offers that involve singing!

I’ll be cheering you on, then.

Thank you very much!

Well that was a little random, but I suppose we’ve already introduced one new character this update, so what’s another one? I don’t know why they intro Mamori now, because her payoff isn’t for another, like, two or three chapters, but you do you game!

Anyway, we can chat with some of the other folks in the office (Kiria, Aya, etc) but no one really has anything to say, so let’s see what was so important for Tsubasa to hear.

:siren: The Next Gig :siren:

Are you nervous, Tsubasa?

Yeah… I mean, I’m going to have to model for “Nan-No”.

That was…a famous fashion magazine, wasn’t it? Tsubasa, that’s great!

“Feel” was a huge hit! I keep getting new offers from big publishing companies! How could I pass this up?

You’ll be fine, Tsubasa! Everyone starts somewhere! Just walk on in, a newbie full of confidence, and OWN it!

sigh That’s easier said than done… It’d be fine if it was just singing, but being a fashion model…? There’s no way I can do this…

I don’t actually know which of these boosts her affection more, but any opportunity for Itsuki to shove his foot in his mouth is a good one in my books.

I think you’d look great in anything, so I don’t think you have anything to be embarrassed about…

Y-You think so…? Well, that’s… nice to hear from you, Itsuki…

Yeah. No matter what you wear, you always look great.

I-um-u-uh-s-s-stop! I don’t know how to deal with you saying that!

Huh?

:pensive:

Ms. Maiko wouldn’t have signed you up for this if she didn’t believe in you, right?

Oh…I guess you’re right… Okay. I’ll do my best!

Good luck.

Thanks, Itsuki. You helped me sort my thoughts out.

Aww, he’s dumb as a brick but his heart is in the right place.

As for the photographer… well, he’s certainly skilled, so I’m sure the pictures will turn out great.

Well, good luck on your first photo shoot.

O-Okay! leaves

You know the photographer, Ms. Maiko?

Mhm. Nobu Horinozawa… He’s a pretty famous photographer in the industry. They call him a man of true talent. Knows the perfect angle and timing to bring out the true beauty of his subjects…

Or at least, that’s what they say. If you ask me, it’s all thanks to the model.

The model…?

That’s right. Before all this, I used to be a fashion model, you know.

Wh-What? Really?

Mhm. I worked with Horinozawa quite a bit back then, but he was pretty mediocre… mm, a bit above average. Of course, he could have improved since then. So he may well be the top-class photographer they say he is now.

Top-class… But if he’s such a good photographer, why did you look so worried earlier?

…Worried? Itsuki, don’t be ridiculous! I’ve got nothing to worry about.

Oh, I almost forgot…

Hm? What’s wrong?

What kind of article?

Apparently a lot of models have been going missing. Something about this seems suspicious.

Hm. You might be right… There’s a chance Mirages are involved in this. I’ll use some of my connections and look into it.

Thanks.

After this, though, I’m a little more worried about Tsubasa. Could you head to where she’s working and play bodyguard? She’ll be at the Daiba TV main building, the one with Daitama Observatory. Her shoot should be in the studio nearby.

Got it.

I’m counting on you to look after Tsubasa.

A photo shoot with an old friend and mysteriously disappearing models? I’m sure absolutely nothing bad will happen when we go play bodyguard next time.

Dark Anna has some of the best voice clips in the game.

Calling it now, this smug, lanky jackass is our Archer and his Mirage is Virion to make him the biggest asshole possible.

Meanwhile, I’m going to guess that Mamori is a Cleric since she doesn’t much strike me as a ‘front-liner’ and we have a Shaman.

Yashiro may be an impatient ass, but his theme’s pretty catchy.

That seems like a pretty good guess. My initial guess was Henry due to his color scheme and hair, but that’d be a bit redundant since we already have Tharja. Sans cravat, Yashiro’s stylistically pretty close to Virion.

1 Like

After the uproar over Persona 5’s localization, it’s pretty nice to see a well-polished script such as this one.