Let's Talk about Tokusatsu and Power Rangers

Gaim is pretty good. I like OOO a lot, too, but people dunk on it mostly because it has a lot of filler, I think? OOO had a great supporting cast and I got a little teary during the ending because I’m a huge baby who cries when a man in a monster suit discovers the true nature of friendship.

Gaim is best series. W is bestest series. Drive is OK. Ghost is a trash fire.

Ex-Aid is a strange series. So far, it’s basically all power creep and this one thing this one guy isn’t allowed to know.

I think that last point change with the most recent episode. As to power creep, well its a video game i guess emulating the source material was a core idea.

My favorite has been Garo. I haven’t had access to every series of it but I did really love Makai Senki. Though I also really like Yami o Terasu Mono. I still really need to go back and watch the original Garo series.

1 Like

Fourze is great, Ex-Aid is great, W is great, OOO is great, Gaim is great

What I’m saying is Kamen Rider is great, even if there is no God or Buddha, we still have Kamen Rider.

1 Like

Gaim didn’t work for me, but I’m just not a fan of Urobutchi’s work in general.

I hated Drive top to bottom. They really didn’t do anything interesting with the cop theme, and they had no clue if they wanted to be serious or comedic half the time.

I liked the first arc of Ghost fine, but then it tanked HARD and became utterly unwatchable.

The original series of Garo is alright. The CG really doesn’t hold up today, which is a shame. None of the other series have really worked for me either. I think part of my problem with the other series I’ve seen is that Garo bills itself as a mature Toku series, but there aren’t actually many stories that feel like they couldn’t be done in a Rider if you tweaked it to show less boobs.

Also, I’ll go ahead and admit I’m the weirdo whose favorite Kamen Rider series is Faiz. I’m just a sucker for stories about people with severe emotional issues failing because they can’t get past themselves, and Faiz is chock full of messed up people.

Well my avatar is the Mighty Action X logo.

I love Ex-Aid’s design a lot

As far as sentai goes i just started Kyoryuger.

It should be really important to note that I will stop EVERYTHING I am doing to rock the fuck out with my entire being if someone starts playing the Gokaiger theme

Also I dunno if it’s been said before, but if you’re looking for a really nice short tongue-in-cheek sentai Akibaranger is pretty much toppest of the top notch

I really wanna start watching Ex-Aid but I’ve literally never seen a tokusatsu show before (outside of, like, tumblr clips and stuff). Anything I should know going in?

Kamen Riders are heroes of Justice.

Also it can wildly vary from serious to funny even within an episode. Be prepared.

1 Like

Nah, Kamen Rider is pretty self-contained from year to year. Sometimes there’s a crossover episode with the next show at the very end of the season. One time they bothered to establish that every previous rider was canon in Fourze when the goth girl showed everybody underground candid footage of mysterious heroes of justice fighting monsters, but it’s like… not a thing they capitalize unless it’s the entire gimmick of a movie or series.

Uh, this goes for every Kamen Rider, though:
Be prepared to suspend some disbelief, because NOBODY in the show will ever acknowledge that all their superhero gear looks like plastic toys for children, even in the cases where they are literally supposed to be that like in a Gaim.

3 Likes

I’m 1000% down for some Goofy Shit, I wouldn’t bother if I expected anything less. I saw some stuff of Ex-Aid where the characters have full armor costumes but also weird chibi outfits that look stupid as hell and I love it

Speaking of Ex-Aid in this week’s episode Genm reveals his ultimate game: Kamen Rider Themed DayZ. Truly he is the Game Master.

1 Like

Fuck him and his spite. At least Nico sore loser nature is funny.

YOU GUYS I really love Hiiro’s upgraded form from the preview :open_mouth:

It’s really cool

I do wonder how will Snipe and Brave be able to use both Level 50 forms at the same time though

I can’t wait to see his upcoming kickstarter.

Genm has transcended crowdfunding by living in an abandoned warehouse and permanently altering his body into a deathless zombie that presumably neither eats nor sleeps.

That money all goes to Parad, who will spend it on things to amuse himself.

3 Likes

stretch goals:

• Port KRC to Linux

• Add adventure mode

• Improved crafting.

1 Like

Genm is great and he gets creepier and more insane with every episode. Also, Taiga became infinitely more likable when he found his equal in a 14-year-old with a hate crush on Emu.

2 Likes