Let's Play Every Mario Party and Not Get A Divorce [Current - Mario Party 6]

I’d be down for that. Mario Party is an experience. Or something.

3 Likes

We’ve gotten quite the response to increasing the uploads. So starting next week we’ll be putting out a new update once a week.

1 Like

What do you mean we should have started with this board first? If that’s the case it should have started on this board!

Mario’s Rainbow Castle - Part 1

2 Likes

I’d also like to take this time to add in something new. I’d like to know who everyone thinks is going to win!

I’ll add this to the part 1 posts from here on. But basically, from the 10 turns you’ve seen, who do you think is on the path to winning? You don’t need to, but I would also like to see your reasoning. Maybe you see someone using a lot of coins pretty soon, or someone is just too far in the lead to really fall behind without shenanigans. Basically. The ones who get it right will be added to the OP with a nice star beside their name every time they’re right. Maybe we’ll incorporate this a little more later.

Who Do You Think Will Win!!!

Calli once again. She’s got too many minigame wins and coins to fail now. She’ll steal the star from whoever gets it if she doesn’t and clean up.

2 Likes

When i first started playing with Calli, I definitely got the impression that she hoards coins. Which in the first game is really good because it is much easier to steal stars in this one.

hug Your confidence in me. I shall try to make you proud!

I do not hoard! I collect…a lot…

1 Like

Ha, that episode break worked out nicely. A natural cliffhanger.

It really was. That wasn’t my intention, but perhaps I need to focus on making good cliffhangers. But that may not always work out so well at 10 turns.

I think Calli will win this one handily.

1 Like

I wanna say love will win because I’m sappy about cute couples.

Secretly I’m rooting for my boy Luigi though.

3 Likes

Im starting to get the feeling people dont have much faith in me. I may need to steo my game up a bit.

1 Like

Just remember the mini game star and coin star at the end.

Those are 2 easy stars for victory.

Get coins
Win stars
Friendship

I’ll throw in a vote for Warmal out of pity.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. It is much appreciated. As for some other discussion, what is everyone’s opinion of the minigames from the first mario party? It was very clear that it was a new concept, but in an overall sense I think they hit the mark for fun pretty well.

I remember rotating the n64 joystick with the palm of my hand. and it would peel the skin off good times in retrospect I should have just used my thumbs I was a dumb kid lo.

Aside from the stick-rotating minigames, I thought they were pretty good overall, although some of the 1vs3 definitely fail at producing fun and fair gameplay for both sides (wth crane game). I also remember most of the Solo games being either trivial, or unfairly punishing, but it’s been so long since I played it, so maybe that’s just young me speaking.

I skipped straight to 4 after this one though, so I’m most curious about what’s coming next, really. Supposedly, 2 was very much excellent, so my interest there is quite piqued.

Because of the possibility of losing coins or stealing them from your opponents in minigames, the games in Mario Party 1 had a tendency to be more creative in general. 1v3 games usually had a serious penalty for the loser(s) in a transferral of coins, and this even got applied to a few 2v2 games. Sometimes the 1v3 games were only 1v3 because the one player was given a slightly different role; Coin Block Bash is basically a 4p game, since the hammer can be stolen at any time by another player. Pipe Maze can only benefit one player. Bash ‘n’ Cash pits the three players against the one and then also themselves, as stolen coins can only go to one player at a time, same as Coin Shower Flower. Bowl Over puts three players in a losing position, but they aren’t working together because only their own coins get taken if they get hit. In pretty much all 1v3 games going forward, it’s simply a race between the two teams to accomplish a goal or one team trying to hit the other team/make them fall down pits, which is considerably more tame.

This is also the only Party to have wholly cooperative 4p games, although you could try to get others caught in Running of the Bulb. Plus there are games that are only waiting for someone to lose, like Hot Rope Jump and Hot Bob-omb. The minigames all felt creative and different and fun, especially with descriptions turned off, and a bunch of them worked well enough that they held onto them for Mario Party 2, either as reskinned versions or changing the game type.

The only real issue with the games was the control stick spinning, and even then, that was more a problem with the design of the analog stick. Which is unfortunate, since it meant they never did stick spinning games in any of the Gamecube Parties.

3 Likes

Frozentreasure summed it up really nicely. I think the fact that it was really centered around taking coins from other players really made the mini games worth focusing on. If you weren’t careful, you didn’t just not make a gain, you actually got a loss.
As for the stick rotating, I never had a problem with it. It never really hurt my hand, but that could be because I just couldn’t spin it fast enough. I don’t know. I think there isn’t really a point in any of the games where you need to spin it at lightning speed. The hardest ones are the tug-of-war and river rapids one. It’s only when you pit people up against each other where you really need to give it your all.

And here comes the end of Mario’s board. I think it’s meant to be an easy tutorial like stage, but the switching between Toad and Bowser kind of makes it a crazy stressful board. You’re racing to the end, but then suddenly you’re hoping to move as slow as possible as you see death on the horizon.

Mario’s Rainbow Castle - Part 2

Those that guessed right will now have a star beside their name in the OP! To those that didn’t, thanks for guessing and I hope you get it right next time.