Let's Play Every Mario Party and Not Get A Divorce [Current - Mario Party 6]

So two thoughts here. first off, I really like the music to this board, since it’s basically an arrangement of Yoko Shimomura’s take on the Dungeon Theme from Mario RPG. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_4nRalUpuI

Secondly: I remember a different ending to that map. I don’t know if maybe I’m thinking of another Mario Party or if it’s a Mario specific ending, but I remember it as Bowser going Metal, daring to be thrown out, then the Star Power kicks in ala shounen anime and Metal Bowser gets his ass hurled.

I’m not sure? That kind of sounds familiar but I’m not really finding anything when trying to look it up. It could be from a different Mario Party.

That’s definitely the end of the Bowser map from 2. The second game in general is the one that ends its boards with the winning player personally defeating Bowser in some way.

I thought it might be but its been so long since ive played that level. I suppose we will get there soon though.

Ah, alright. Thanks.

This was as far as I’d played Mario Party myself as a child. I don’t think I ever actually owned a copy, so I only got to play each of the main boards and Minigame Island, then the Bowser board after I found out it unlocked. By that point I’d gotten maybe 15 stars in the bank and was over the idea of playing the boards more than that because I was more interested in the minigames. Plus I had no idea there was a secret waiting behind 100 stars anyway.

1 Like

I don’t even know how I found out about the secret board anyway.It’s completely fair to have only played the boards once. Unless you really enjoy the boards, there’s not a lot compelling someone to play over and over again.

If four humans played each board once they would only need to get an average of three stars per person, plus the bonus stars, so I suppose it’s possible, especially if you wanted to play for 35 or 50 turns.

1 Like

I would say that’s reasonable, but I don’t think people want to play 35 or 50 turns ever. I’ve never met someone who does.

/raises hand

I only ever played 20 turns the first time I played the game. I never played short of 50 after that.

1 Like

I attempted some 50 turn games before. You definitely need to commit in order to make it through. I don’t think I did any until 4 though.

UPDATE
Mini Game Island - What We Could Do

As I say in the video. I may end up returning to finish off the Island. We definitely shouldn’t have attempted so late in the night, and the minigames actually do wear you down quite a bit.

Teddy sounds pent up, like he just needs a cat to chase around or something.

Coincidentally, the places you guys lost lots of lives were basically all of the brick walls of Mini Game Island. Like, everybody gets stuck at those spots. All the stick rotation mini-games (Paddle Battle, Tug-o-War, Cast Aways, Pedal Power, whatever other ones there are) and button mashing games are incredibly hard to beat, along with a few choice ones like Limbo Dance and Platform Peril (literally the last game on the island). You can play the sea mini-games in world five and skip right to world six, but the first mini-game of that bunch is Cast Aways, so most people never end up playing that world at all. The impossibly close finish of Skateboard Scamper even comes up again in Mario Party 2 in a different mini-game.

Anyway you go through the cave and then three floors of Bowser’s castle, then you do all of the mini-games that are atop towers or in the sky and meet Toad at the finish line, who challenges you to the hard Slot Car Derby track, featuring him as an opponent and nowhere else in the entire game. Then if you beat him, which nobody does, he gives you a bonus mini-game where you roll a ball around a maze obstacle course, basically. Then if you beat all of the mini-games on the island you get a second bonus mini-game where you roll a ball around a maze obstacle course. And then if you beat both of those you get a third bonus mini-game where you roll a ball around a maze obstacle course. 53 mini-games in all. In a game without stick rotation and developers who would probably put in less obnoxious AI I’d really enjoy a simple single-player mode like it, but unfortunately they just never returned to the concept in the same way. Instead they realised that the whole “story” thing was cool.

2 Likes

I think the mini-game roller coaster in Mario Party 2, whatever it was called, was simultaneously more and less difficult than Mini Game Island. I can’t say I remember all of the tricks that one pulls, but it’s gotta be better than the control stick spinning minigames. To say you need cat-like reflexes to beat some of those would be an understatement; Tug of War looked absolutely ridiculous and I have no idea how a human could have beaten most of those attempts.

3 Likes

I have never experienced a tug-of-war that I have enjoyed.

Not in life.

Not in love.

Not in my dreams.

Not in Mario Party.

Especially not in Mario Party.

To hell with tug-of-war.

1 Like

preach darling preach!!!

I almost wish I knew where my copy of Mario Party 1 was, just so I could see how far I got in Mini-Game Island. I just know I never beat it, because I was 9 when it came out and I’m pretty sure you need to be superhuman. If you adopt the aloofness of a cat and decide it’s too hard and say “Fuck it, leave the island unfinished,” I don’t think anyone will hold it against you.

2 Likes

I’m sure they won’t. But can I live with myself in that case?

Far be it from me to tell you what to do, obviously, but if I were in your shoes, I wouldn’t be asking if I could live with leaving it unfinished; I’d be asking if I could survive the attempt to finish it.

1 Like

Well. Some people asked for this to happen. It was only a matter of time.

UPDATE
Eternal Star Part 1

Please note that this is the second last video for Mario Party 1. It is also your last chance to vote. This time around, voting will only be going on until Saturday. Please keep in mind that we are in Canadian Mountain time. So make sure to get that vote in as soon as possible. You can still vote after if you like, but it won’t be getting counted for this round. That said. Enjoy the semi-finale to the first game.