Let's Fillet! The Cooking Thread

5 Likes

Well for some reason Iā€™ve really upped my cooking game recently, and I think its a combination of a few things - my partner has been diagnosed with coeliacs, and weā€™ve recently signed up to this ā€œvege co-operativeā€ where you pay $12 and get a big old bag of whatever fruit and veges the co-op could buy that week.

So both of these changes has meant that I am cooking with restricted ingredients or surprise ingredients. Like this week we got a big old wombok and a bunch of carrots, so I made a coleslaw :smiley: It should have coriander in it but my plant went to seed, also it should have peanuts but I didnā€™t have any so I subbed with cashes:

1 lemon, zested, juiced
1 cup coriander leaves
1/2 small wombok, finely shredded
1 carrot, peeled, cut into long matchsticks
Ā¼ onion thinly sliced
Handfull of cashews, toasted, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
Splash of rice wine vinegar
Splash of soy sauce

Method: Jam it all together in a bowl.

My partner being coeliacs has meant that we now have a gluten free household. Its just to risky to bake bread - something Iā€™ve done for years and gotten really really good at. We gave our sourdough starter which was nearly 6 years old and all our equipment to a friend. It does mean that I have been trying to make gluten free bread, and also my workmate who is from South India taught me to make dosa and idli, so thatā€™s good.

Iā€™d love to master adobo chicken. Iā€™ve tried a couple of times, but its hard when I donā€™t know what its supposed to taste like.

2 Likes

Iā€™m moving out of my parents house in about a month and Iā€™m SO EXCITED TO GET BACK INTO MAKING FOOD.

My dad monopolizes the kitchen where itā€™s hard for me to even get in there to make lunch. I havenā€™t really cooked since I moved back in 4 years ago, with a couple of exceptions where my parents were out of town.

FIRST STOP: LEARN TO MAKE FALAFEL.

4 Likes