Laying It All On The Ray Line - Let's Play Wild Arms!

Part 5 - The Ruin Festival

Previously, we helped an engineer-archaeologist find a giant robot to be put on display at the Filgaia World’s Fair. Today, let’s actually go see the fair.

First, though, the higlights of the town NPC dialogue:

The ground is so brittle we don’t know what will happen in the end.

Emma has different dialogue for each party member if they talk to her before the end of Rudy’s scenario. Remember, Rudy is the only one who gets access to the world map during his scenario.

The place is full of traps. It took my workers many hours and we’ve achieved so little.

Lolithia’s Tomb had more rocks and switches than traps. Now the Temple of Memory, that had traps.

Especially when a site is on soft ground, like the site we’re working at now.

And this book on her bookshelf, telling us a bit about ARMs:

To operate an ARM, the user must synchronize with the machine completely. That is why the military models are fussy about who they synchronize with.

So it’s not just about pulling the trigger; ARMs are at least semi-sentient and need to work with you, and weapons especially tend to be choosy about who gets to use them. Either that or it’s the book having to explain the concept of fingerprint locks to a society of technophobes who are just re-discovering the diesel engine.

There was a side story in Alter Code: F about how terrible of a doctor this guy is; that old man in bed next to him is sick or injured for the entire game due to his incompetence. The hospital was instead empty because everyone was afraid to put themselves under his care. Having played that, I now see this line in a different light, although I’m pretty sure that’s not the intended interpretation in this game.

We find out about a new Guardian from this man, and can see a statue dedicated to it in the northwest corner of the city. Even if you go examine it with Cecilia, though, no Guardian will speak to her. Maybe this one’s dead?

will of the Guardians. Is the power of the Guardians fading away?

And there’s this woman, who knows a bit about the royal family. I’m not sure if she’s saying “But since the Princess hasn’t been able to do that yet, I think we might be in trouble” or if she’s just questioning the Guardians’ strength in general.

Sssshhh! I’m back father… No one recognizes me. It’s fun to be anonymous. You don’t mind, do you?

Why are you back so early? The festival isn’t open yet.

I have my reasons… And I don’t particularly want everyone making a big deal.

You’ve never liked crowds. I remember that. It’s been 10 years… Look how you’ve grown! You look just like your mother.

Let me remain anonymous until the start of the festival.

And if Cecilia talks to the King before Lolithia’s Tomb, they also have special dialogue.

He has a sense of humor, but you must never forget to show proper respect.

Whereas Minister Johann apparently doesn’t recognize the princess after her ten-year absence, because this is the same dialogue he has for everyone else.

I wonder what she’s like. I’m new here, so I don’t know much about her.

A few of the guards will remark that “the princess is coming back for the festival” and will say that to Cecilia’s face, as well.

We had to bend over backwards just to feed her.

As well as these castle chefs. Maybe you’re just not as good as the guy over in the Abbey, ever think of that?

A few years back, the Kingdom of Arctica was destroyed overnight.

Things seem to be getting worse in Filgaia. I wonder what could destroy an entire kingdom so quickly, though?

We have another Calamity Jane fanboy, this one among the castle guards.

As for items in the town, this is in the northeast corner of town.

A couple of stat-boosters (Power and Hardy Apples) in crates in a random building (warehouse?).

And a Magic Carrot and a Heal Berry in these crates.

If anyone was wondering why I had a spare Crest Graph back in Cecilia’s scenario, I got it here, just outside Adlehyde Castle.

I also pick up this near the kitchens. The Moon Stone is a left-hand item that anyone can equip, and it will make that character immune to the Poison status effect. We haven’t seen anything that can actually inflict Poison, so I haven’t used it.

While this door in the castle is locked. The Tear Drop doesn’t work, so we can’t get this door open right now.

And that’s it for the particularly interesting stuff.

but I have to get going now… I have no idea why I was summoned to the north ruin. But, I’m glad to know I was of some help. After I go, I might not be able to travel with you… But I will never forget our adventure. I hope you guys will treat me the same way I’ve treated you.

We actually do need to stay at the inn in order to progress, and unlike many other games, there’s nobody to cover the cost. But when you do, Cecilia says this, and then departs.

She heads off to the castle, where she “officially” meets her father. There’s no dialogue in this scene.

Music - Inn

And, the next morning…

Music - Ancient Civilization Exhibition

I first make the rounds before heading off to the fair. The highlights:

I’m not sure if he’s referring to actual magic, or just sufficiently advanced technology, because I’m pretty sure they had both 1,000 years ago. The devs certainly went whole-hog on the “lost civilization” trope in this game.

Sure you would, man.

I’m pretty sure Rudy’s underage. Jack’s probably okay, though.

I know that pain, man. Unless I specifically put in for vacation, I will end up working almost every holiday each year.

If we go into the castle, we can see that Cecilia’s in there, but she’s not in any part of the castle we can reach (yet).

And she’s also not selectable at the Memory Bird.

His quest for the ancient knowledge is based on his belief that it will help in stopping the deterioration.

The game is not shy about letting you know that Filgaia is a planet on the decline. I suppose you could consider Wild Arms post-apocalyptic as well as a Western, which makes it one of the only examples of that former genre that I have experienced.

I also stopped to upgrade Rudy’s Hand Cannon a bit with some of the money from Lolithia’s Tomb. I forgot to grab a screenshot of the end result, but I upgraded ATP once (5 points), Accuracy three times (2 points each, for a total of 6 points), and bullets twice (for 2 extra bullets). Final stats: ATP 15, Accuracy 91%, and 10 Bullets.

Over to the festival…

You’re acting like this is a once-in-a-lifetime event. Like some sort of millennial fair or something. But we’ve done a job, and should go get our pay.

Here is the payment.

There’s a lot to see here… I’m sure you’ll see something that interests you.

500 Gella is a bit of a rip-off, but since we also got plenty of money off the actual monsters, I guess it’s fine. IIRC, even after taking her as a party member and the attendant pay dock in Alter Code: F, she still pays something like twice what she does in this version. Now that we have some pocket change jingling around, let’s check out the fair. Starting with the exhibits first:

• They have been found in many places.

I’m guessing that the implication here is supposed to be that these are not ordinary human skeletons, and that they’re made of some non-standard material, like metal. Because I’m pretty sure they know what the normal kind are for.

• Not everyone is able to use this because it requires psychic syncronization.

Pseudo-sentient it is then. Don’t expect me to be transcribing dialogue for Rudy’s Hand Cannon, though.

“Black box” is a term for a data recorder, not a control mechanism, though?

• Metals found in many of the artifacts can be traced back to this asteroid.

I suppose an asteroid crashing into Filgaia would provide plenty of raw material for building shit. Those things are huge. Epoch-ending big.

to duplicate it.

And now for the main attraction: the three Golems.

• Hard armor reminds one of some indestructible fortress.

• Excavation: Ocean of Sand
    Height: 62 feet (w/o weapon)
    Weight: 210 tons

• A flame thrower for close combat.

• Tough, but agile armor. Good hand to hand abilities. Nicknamed the [Crimson Wind].

• Excavation: Arctica
    Height: 53 feet
    Weight: 160 tons

If Diablo here was excavated in Arctica, it was presumably before the kingdom was wiped off the map one day. Also, if you ask me, Diablo looks more like the fortress and Barbados looks more agile, but you do you Wild Arms.

• In ancient legends, it froze the enemy demons to death.

• Excavation: Near Adlehyde
    Height: 53 feet
    Weight: 120 tons

Interesting how Lolithia uses different than Diablo for her nickname. I wonder if it means anything, or if it’s just a localization gaffe.

Some people fear these artifacts as much as they fear the demons.

Yeah, and there were people from Surf who wanted to come to this festival. They’d have been shitting themselves with fear and rage. It would be like fundamentalist Christians getting in line at a Satanist convention.

Like this woman, although she seems more “mildly concerned” than “afraid”.

Now, they’re broken.

Although this kid apparently isn’t one of them.

This flower girl sells her wares for 2 Gella. That’s chump change; we could buy 250 of them with our “pay” from Emma alone, and as far as I could tell, she doesn’t have a limit.

Unlike a certain other flower girl, though, the flowers she sells are actually useable items. What do they do?

They increase your Luck stat. Rudy’s still laboring under his terrible luck, so he could probably use one, but since Luck is prone to randomly fluctuating and doesn’t really have that significant of an effect on combat I don’t bother.

Now let’s play some of the games! This is basically just a footrace; the goal is to go around the track as fast as possible, and then your time is compared against arbitrary developer-set benchmarks other competitors who exist in the narrative!

From the start, head up,

Then left,

Then follow the track as it loops downward,

Then back up again,

Then back around to the starting line. On my first try, I did not do very well. This is true for most of the games, honestly.

But after a couple more tries, I manage to get second place. It’s interesting that the game pulls up a naming screen here; I assume it doesn’t overwrite the character’s name, but I suppose if you wanted to have your high score(s) be named ASS and/or DONGS you could do so. This game is free and there are no prizes, so I don’t bother to try any harder than that. But do take note of the name in the number 1 spot there.

This game is entirely random. You pick up and throw a ball, and then the game decides where it lands on the target and what prize you get. Your positioning is irrelevant, and you have no way to influence what way the ball goes once it’s thrown or how far it goes. It’s honestly the worst kind of minigame, in my opinion; a game of chance disguised as a game of skill. It costs 30 Gella to play.

I try a few times and never get anywhere near the center. The second and fourth shots may look like failures from the dialogue, but I won a Heal Berry both times; not worth the 30 Gella fee. The third time I won a Revive Fruit, which was at least a profit (and something I don’t have a bunch of already). There’s a really good item you can win off this game if you get the ball dead center, but since I seem to need a Small Flower or two myself, I figured I’d probably run out of money (or hard drive space for the recording) before then.

Ultimate Chicken is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. You start running automatically, and you need to press and hold the Dash button to stop before you hit the wall at the end of the course. The quality of your prize depends upon how close to the wall you manage to stop. It costs 100 Gella to play.

The guy trash-talks you if you lose.

But after a few tries, I manage to stop Rudy a hair’s width from the wall, and get the best prize possible for this game. Not bad, but still not worth 100 Gella. It’s actually impossible to make a profit off of this game.

In Lucky Mole Catching you run around and pick up moles as they pop out of the ground. The objective is to catch as many as you can in 30 seconds. It’s sort of like Whack-A-Mole, but the moles can pop up anywhere in the fenced-in area below the hawker. I’m not very good at this game, although it’s technically better than the Strike Ball game. It costs 100 Gella to play.

I spend most of the latter half of the game floundering around not catching moles, and only manage 7. I win an Antidote, which isn’t even close to the price of admission. The good prizes start at 12+ moles, and include Revive Fruits and stat boosters. At this point I decide to look up the prizes, see that the only item we haven’t seen yet is a prize in Strike Ball, and then decide that’s enough.

Please… Can you help look for him? He may be in trouble. I’m going to stay here so I don’t miss him on this road… If you see him, please bring him back to me. He has a red balloon. Please!

We need to talk to this woman to progress the plot. Let’s go find her lost son.

He should be easy to spot. But where? That’s the question.

This man right next to her weighs in on the issue if you speak to him.

Whereas this fellow over by Lolithia has this to say even before you talk to her.

This guy over by the entrance to the Ruin Festival grounds tells us where to find the lost child, though. Which we’ll do next time! No fights this update, so no change in stats.

1 Like

Part 6 - Ruined Festival

Last time, we attended the town fair, played some games, and learned a bit about history. This time, we find a lost boy.

Well, that was pretty easy. The kid is hanging out in the middle of town. When we find him, he lets go of his balloon.

Music - The Sky Is Being Torn Apart

Just as the sky starts to turn nasty.

As the unsuspecting people look up to the skies, they watch the silent nightmare spread over their heads.

Uh, I don’t think that’s supposed to be happening.

Some sort of laser beam shoots downward from the sky.

The [Beginning of the End] is here… A sword of light strikes the land and a wall of fire rushes across the horizon.

More lasers, and those pieces falling down from the crack widen it.

“Rocks fall, everyone dies. Take 20d6 damage and roll up new characters… What do you mean, ‘I have enough HP to survive it’?!”

Music - World of Loudening Screams

Yeah, everyone around us is dead.

And the monsters on the map are actual encounters. We’ve already encountered Skeletons back in the Temple of Memory.

They were glass cannons back then, but they’re absolutely no threat now. These guys might be buffed a bit; I don’t think the Skeletons from back then would still be dealing this much damage to Jack, considering his level has tripled since then and I’ve upgraded his equipment. They haven’t even close to kept up, if so; both Jack and Rudy one-shot them, and damage in the mid-20s is laughable now.

They drop Jack’s starting sword, though.

Lizardmen are new, and at least a bit more dangerous.

For once, Jack can’t just one-shot them; he needs Rudy’s help to chew through their 120 HP. And no, Psycho Crack doesn’t deal enough damage to one-shot them, either. Rudy’s Hand Cannon could chew through them, even before the upgrades I pumped into it earlier, but I don’t want to waste the bullets.

I did get the Confusion effect to proc off it, though.

It didn’t help.

They deal just about twice the damage of Skeletons on their basic attack. Still not very concerning, especially since they’re around Rudy’s speed. They don’t have any special attacks, either. They can drop Heal Berries, so even their item drop is boring.

There are a bunch of corpses around. Considering the entire town is aflame, I doubt she would have had much opportunity to cool.

Although, there is no other way out of town.

This guy prevents us from entering the fairgrounds.

And the two exits to the world map are also guarded.

We can see Cecilia, and she’s surrounded. We’d better go and take care of that!

We go and rescue Cecilia from a bunch of monsters she almost definitely could have beaten solo. Might as well save her MP, though.

5 minutes! We must get everyone into the castle at once!

After “rescuing” Cecilia, we get charged with rescuing townspeople, and set a hard five-minute time limit on doing so. The time limit is technically rather generous, assuming you know where all of the people are. She also rejoins the party at this point.

This kid is just to the right of where we found Cecilia.

There’s a guy here, in the building we started out next to.

This guy, in the tavern, gets rescued next.

This woman is just out behind Emma’s lab.

This man is in one of the warehouses.

There’s also the sick/injured man in the hospital.

This man is over by the statue of Zeldukes.

This woman is in the graveyard behind the church.

Speaking of the church, we should pick up the nun as well. She’s pretty badass - no “oh no my church is burning down around me” from her; instead its “I can heal, take me to the wounded”.

While I’m there, I blow up a large crate outside that I had previously missed and pick this up.

Can you see the NPC I missed in this screenshot? It took me quite a while to find her.

If you guessed “she’s down at the bottom left, hiding behind a bed you blind idiot”, then give yourself a pat on the back. And with the innkeeper rescued, that’s everyone. There’s no fanfare or dialogue when you head back into the castle, not even to let you know if you missed anyone or to give you a choice to look for more people.

Music - Against the Backdrop of World Destruction

There is nothing for me to do here… Well, I guess my superior power is too good to use on humans. Give this message to one of the humans running into the castle. If they don’t give up the [Tear Drop], we will tear the castle to pieces.

We do get a cutscene, though. “Belselk” here is obviously supposed to be “Berserk” or possibly “Berserker”, and he appears to be the leader of the monsters. A Lizardman runs in from the direction of the fairgrounds.

All junk? Good! We don’t want to fight those things… We have the golems now. This is a very interesting situation…

So the monsters attacking the town are after the golems and the Tear Drop. That can’t be good. Let’s back up for a second, though. You can “cheat” this section. Notice how there weren’t any timers visible on any of the screenshots of me saving the townsfolk? Yeah, you can do that before you even go “rescue” Cecilia.

of the townspeople. We must go, now.

This is what Cecilia says if you have rescued all of the living townsfolk before you go rescue her. You’re still given five minutes to get inside the castle walls, but at that point, the only thing left to do is to walk around town and clean up any monsters you left behind.

Music - From Anxiety to Impatience

Inside the castle, we discover that the King has been injured. Most of the NPC chatter is some combination of that, “OMG Monsters!”, or “I dunno how long we can hold out”.

keep the monsters away.

Of note are this guard, who is… probably correct, although food would be a concern.

If the monsters find this passage, it will be dangerous.

This chef, who tells us about a secret passage which cannot possibly be relevant, especially not in this very update.

This room, which serves as a free inn for now.

The nun, in a room with most of the rest of the refugees, who continues to be badass.

And this guard, who posits that this might be how Arctica was destroyed.

Let’s let Cecilia go see her father, though. I’m sure she’s worried.

an entire town. What do they want?

I’ve been wounded badly. I was careless… I hope my men got away in time. Urrrrrgh! Let me speak to Cecilia. I need to tell her something before I…

Right, an important part of “letting Cecilia go see her father” is… letting Cecilia go see her father.

Listen, Cecilia! The monsters are after you. You must defeat them!

A guard walks up to the foot of the King’s bed.

that you surrender the [Tear Drop] or they will storm the castle.

The [Tear Drop] belonged to my mother. It’s very dear to me, but I’ll give it up for the sake of my kingdom. The monsters can have my [Tear Drop]…

I won’t permit it! No… You won’t do it! Cecilia, the [Tear Drop] is not just an heirloom. It holds the key to unleashing the power of the ancients. Only a princess of the Adlehyde family may possess it. One who hears the will of the Guardians can use the [Tear Drop] to change the world.

But if I do nothing, many will die because of me.

Please understand, Cecilia. Life can be cruel sometimes. Cecilia, stay in your room, no matter what happens.

And just like that, the scene ends, and Cecilia is sent to her room like a misbehaving toddler. Not that the King is necessarily wrong, per se. It’s a pretty thorny issue, and “right” is one of those things that will be determined afterwards by historians oh who am I kidding, we’re going to fix it now.

Innocent people should not suffer. In the dungeon, there is a secret passage. It should still be there. When I was a little girl, I remember trying to get into the town from there. We can sneak out from there and give the demons the [Tear Drop].

The game is not very consistent with its terminology. Are they monsters or demons? Anyways, there are a few bookshelves in Cecilia’s room with tidbits of knowledge seemingly relevant to our situation.

One… know thy subjects.
Two… Always lead by example.
Truth will always prevail.

Small crystal sphere that fits in the palm of a child’s hand. Invaluable. Radiates a subtle heartbeat of pure magical light.

Adlehyde is the [Light]. Arctica is the [Ice]. Both are from the ancient blood of benevolence… Adlehyde looked for the warmth in the heart. Arctica looked for the answers from the past to sing the songs of man across Filgaia. Both kingdoms pledged to world peace.

Now, who’s up for a stealth section? That’s right, we have to sneak out of Adlehyde Castle! If your answer was “Fuck no, not me”, rest assured that this isn’t so bad. Most of Adlehyde’s guards are apparently so blind that you literally need to tap them on the shoulder for them to notice you. The few that actually do have sensory capability though are pretty on-point and will zero in on you with laser focus. Our objective is to get to the kitchens, which are down a floor and on the left-hand side of the castle.

There are now guards stationed at some doors, seemingly arbitrarily determined to force Cecilia to take a circuitous route. I actually liked this section in Alter Code: F better, because it made you do stuff like use Hanpan to distract guards rather than just “there’s a guard at this door but not that one, so you have to take the long way”.

So the correct way, and the only way we’re allowed to go at this point, is to take this door out to the castle walls.

Where the door guard is standing about ten feet from the door, not directly blocking it, for some reason. Note that this guy was, in fact, blocking this door before the King got injured. That guard on the left is one of the ones who always knows where you are and runs directly towards you at all times. This is actually the most difficult part of this entire section by far; you need to run, not walk, out the door, not touch the door guard, run directly for the corner there, and then turn south and run that way, all before the “homing” guard catches you.

I get caught at least four times here. This is the only place I actually get caught in this entire section.

And even when I do finally make it, it’s by the skin of my teeth. I’m not convinced that it’s possible to do otherwise.

We head south…

…East…

…North…

…Back west a little…

…And finally north to the door back into the castle.

From there, it’s downstairs to the ground floor.

Then north; south is the well-guarded throne room.

Almost there. This guard is one of the “homing” types, but ducking in the inn room seems to reset his position (despite going back inside not resetting the guard above :shrug:), so he’s actually pretty easy to throw.

At the end of the west corridor is the door to the kitchen.

…I understand. I’ll open the door to the cellar… Please follow me.

Once inside, we find the chef who was talking about the secret door earlier and talk to him. No, I didn’t skip a dialogue option there.

…Because it’s here, instead.

Yes.

Music - Way of Illusion

Welcome to the Obligatory Sewer Level.

We’ve had minigames, a stealth section, and a sewer level in close proximity.

I appreciate the game’s attempt to get the crap out of the way up front, but I can’t help but feel like they could have been spaced out a bit better. I’m joking; the sewer level’s just fine. Note the chest in the upper-right corner.

You need Hanpan to get it.

Conveniently, I get all of the enemies in this dungeon in one encounter. Balloons are old friends by this point, but the Jellyblobs and Gomoratoads are new.

Jellyblobs have 60 HP, so the only character unable to one-shot them with a basic attack is Cecilia.

Although not for lack of trying. They don’t seem to have much defense, so crits deal very little additional damage.

They’re not very threatening. They’re weak to Fire, so Cecilia could one-shot them with Flame if I cared enough to waste the MP.

Gomoratoads, on the other hand, have 120 HP, enough to withstand a crit from even Jack. Their weakness to Fire makes him the only character completely incapable of one-shotting them at this point.

They deal a little more damage than the Jellyblobs, but not that much.

They also have a Water Gun attack that deals respectable damage, but they don’t use it much.

Now, we could walk all the way around to that treasure chest, break all the boxes, and open it ourselves…

But I’m too lazy. Hanpan, go!

We do need to toss these boxes out of the way to progress, though.

More boxes, more smashing.

Absolutely smashing. This chest is boxed in from the back to prevent Hanpan shenanigans; there is a ledge to the north that you could use to get close enough if the box wasn’t in the way.

Heading south from the chest, we find this. I wonder what’s hidden here?

…Oh. That wasn’t even worth the time I spent getting here.

After backtracking a bit, we find progress.

More crates. Who’s leaving all these wooden crates in a sewer?

Off in a nice secluded corner…

…We find another chest. At least this one was worth it.

More progress, more empty crates.

Another blocked-off chest, this one containing 120 Gella.

More progress and treasure. Not really that much to say about this dungeon, unfortunately.

A save point; we must be near the end.

Music - After the Chaos and Destruction

And that was the final room; we’re in town now. This building was always accessible, but those blocks can’t be pushed from the other side to allow access to the sewers.

But we can move them now, and doing so allows access to the town proper.

Music - The Sharp Edge of an Assault

In the center of town stands Belselk Berserker.

Are you guaranteeing the lives of the people?

Don’t worry, I’m a busy guy. Just give me the [Tear Drop] and you won’t see me again.

Grab the prize and go through the gate as soon as it opens.

You demon… I don’t know how you got here, but…

Revenge! This is what I live for!

Like I said, I’m a busy guy. Let’s make it quick, shall we?

No, you can’t do that! You’re crazy to go after him by yourself.

:siren::siren: Boss Fight - Belselk :siren::siren:

Music - Power Fighter

very good toys. We have to be so delicate with you humans. Here, how about a little dance?

Belselk here is our second actually intelligent boss, and the first since Nelgaul back in the Sealed Library. He has 2,000 HP and no notable weaknesses or resistances.

His DFP seems about on par with the Magtortous, as well.

Rudy is going to be doing the lion’s share of the damage this fight; that 5 ATP from that Hand Cannon upgrade has been good to him. I’m also beginning to suspect that Hand Cannon doesn’t give a shit about DFP.

Cecilia is going to spend most of this fight on support duty, spamming Shield.

Mostly because even Valkyrie is insufficient to cut through Belselk’s surprising MGR.

Belselk himself has three possible actions; this one is “do nothing”.

He also has “hit everyone like a truck”,

And “hit one person like a god-damned train”.

Both Cecilia and Jack spend a bunch of time in this battle healing, even after Cecilia’s buffed hers and Jack’s Defense twice and Rudy’s once.

I feel like I’m being assaulted by a gnat. I’m running out of patience!

It’s no surprise when Rudy lands the final blow, but it looks like this guy isn’t going to let us kill him. In Alter Code: F, Belselk has 999,999 HP, and the fight is “survive for five rounds until he gets bored”. I don’t think you can win even on New Game Plus. You do gain bonus EXP based upon how much damage you inflict in that version, though, so go ham on him.

Music - The Sharp Edge of an Assault

After one final taunt, Belselk fucks off.

Meanwhile, over in the fairgrounds…

We’ve got to do what we’re told… We’ve got to get this done.

Belselk’s minions are finally getting around to making off with the Golems. The Tear Drop and three weapons of mass destruction… what could the monsters be planning with these things?

Music - A Sorrowful Separation

Back in the King’s chambers, Cecilia finishes up the “beg forgiveness” part of her clever plan.

…It’s done. But the [Tear Drop] must not be used for evil.

I’ve recently learned that there’s a fairly common Japanese phrase that translates roughly to “It can’t be helped” and I wonder if that’s what “…It’s done” was in the original Japanese. While I’ll give them props for doing something different, it seems to me like “What’s done is done” would have sounded more natural. Although I guess we already have proof that there wasn’t much editing done to this game’s English script.

Please don’t talk, father. Save your strength. It’s my responsibility to reclaim the [Tear Drop].

Princess!

I have made my decision. Our resources must be conserved for the reconstruction of Adlehyde! I have trusty friends. With their help, I will reclaim the [Tear Drop].

I need to reclaim the [Tear Drop] for the future of Filgaia.

I understand. I’m sure Rudy is with me as well. We were going to volunteer anyway, but you shouldn’t come. You’ll just slow us down.

about working with you. I don’t trust royalty. I never have and I never will. I kind of had an idea, but you still haven’t told us from your own mouth. Hide your identity and roam the land…eh? How romantic… You can count me out.

That’s enough, [Dream Chaser]!

If people find out who I am, they become distant. I was lonely… But my passion to save Filgaia is no lie. How can I convince you?

Your sword… May I please use your sword?

What do you want with it? It’s far too heavy for you.

Please… the sword!!!

It’s not for you! Give it back! Princess, you can’t support it on your own.

I plead again, please join me in reclaiming peace.

Be strong, Cecilia. Protect what is yours.

And with that, the King of Adlehyde passes away.

…We can’t just sit around feeling sad. We must honor the dead… Our beloved king, and the men who fought so bravely.

Johann leaves, presumably to begin planning funerals. Not exactly the most enviable job.

:siren::siren: Opening Credits :siren::siren:

Music - Funeral Procession

The stage is set for the fall of [Filgaia]… The story starts here.

Minister Johann and the pallbearers carrying what is presumably the King’s coffin exit the keep and walk over to Cecilia, dressed in funerary black.

The pallbearers place the coffin on the ground…

…And some soldiers, possibly the King’s honor guard, pick it up.

Cecilia gives the signal for the procession to start.

Outside the castle gates, the King’s procession is joined by the other casualties from the monsters’ attack.

As the procession continues through the town, the credits roll.

The procession passes by Rudy and Jack, taking shade together under a tree near the center of town.

As the procession turns the corner near the city gates, some children run by.

The children also pass by our intrepid Dream Chasers, and the girl drops her ball.

And, apparently, all of the colors as well.

They pause to watch the procession for a second as Rudy hands the girl her ball. How many of these children lost parents? Such are the ravages of war.

As the King’s pallbearers arrive at the church, we get a fade to black.

And the game’s title screen. This has gotten kind of long, so I think we’ll pick up here next time! We’ll take a look at the party’s stats next time, because the screenshots I have right now contain spoilers. Whoops!

3 Likes

I think I’m going to have to call this here. My sleep situation isn’t getting any better, and with work gearing due to summer, I just don’t have the time or the willpower to write updates right now. I really hate having to do this, because I really was enjoying doing the LP, but between working more hours and sleeping so erratically, I just can’t focus enough to sit down and belt out an update.