L(P)GBTQ Zone - It turns out, we were The Gays all along...

Now I feel bad that I did what is, while true, essentially a shitpost. Fine here’s a real thing.

I’m Mico, Gay, cis, furry boy. I’m 29, single, I was not lying before and am incredibly into fat dudes, I have been at this LP nonsense since 2011, I figured out I was gay in 2005 after graduating high school although the signs were kind of all there before I just wasn’t very good at noticing them. I’m going back to school (shitty county college but hopefully NJIT next year) after dropping out of college in 2006 and get to scream at databases for a living.

3 Likes
4 Likes

To be fair, I kinda did the same thing.

More better introduction: I’m 24, gay, cis male, also one of those internet furry weirdos (Though I tend to keep to myself and don’t interact with many people in the fandom for reasons). I won’t say where I live except that it’s in the US (It’s not super gay-unfriendly, just I have personal family members I rely on for support for my brain problems and I’d be homeless if I stepped out of the closet locally.) I’m kind of a weird guy and enjoy a pretty wide range of video games and music. I figured out I was gay in like fifth grade (When I grew out of the “ew girls” phase it just ended up being replaced by a general ambivalence toward ladies and a general curiosity toward dudes.) before I really grokked what that meant, but I was a pretty smart kid and realized early on I’d have to keep it to myself as far as my family goes. I’ll lurk this thread pretty hard until I get more comfortable sayin’ stuff and not shitpost too much unless it’s really funny and not harmful.

Also we really need an animated :reasons: emote where it changes colors and sparkles. Because “reasons” is the best reason when you don’t have a reason or don’t want to say the reason by far.

2 Likes

In 1996, at the tender age of 14, I read a book called Mage’s Pawn by Mercedes Lackey wherein the main character, Vanyel, is gay. He gets into a gay relationship and they literally soul bind to each other in the gayest of gay marriage and this is how I learned homosexuality existed. It’s been a long time since I read this book but I don’t recall anyone reacting to Vanyel and his husband in any way negatively based on their sexual orientation. I recall being floored at the realization that this was an option and my attraction to women made so much more sense. I knew what I was now, I was gay. Thanks Mercedes Lackey!

Later I joined Anne McCaffrey’s fan community and asked what went down between male green dragonriders when their dragons mated with other dragons since the telepathic connection between rider and dragon means their riders have to fuck too. …I was banned from her community board. :worried:

Later still a girl on the internet who would later become my girlfriend and then my fiance before tragedy struck made me watch Sailor Moon and Revolutionary Girl Utena with her. I can confirm with you now that bisexuals can turn into cool cars.

So yeah. Gayness in media is good and so important. I don’t know what would have happened to me if I hadn’t read that Mercedes Lackey book.

1 Like

I guess I should say a bit more too then lol. I’m gay, 20, and have honestly known I was pretty gay since? Around 9 years old? Incredibly young. Was in like 2nd/3rd grade crushing on male classmates. My (mother’s side) family is super liberal when it comes to gays/women thankfully. Though I still didn’t actually /come out/ until I was 15/16, but by then everyone could tell anyways. (Only really hid it up until then cause dad wasn’t so nice, the things you can do when you can cut someone horrible out of your life)

I’ve been into gaming and toons and stuff since I was young, and oddly enough have been a fan of decently fucked up horror series since I was 10. Used to have quite an obsession with Silent Hill.(Still do :P) Also kinda why I have extreme distaste for young children being shown actual horror.

I’ll stop there though as I have a hard time discerning whether I’m oversharing or not lol

1 Like

Hiii~ I’m an asexual, homoromantic trans woman. Currently stuck mid-transition and bitter because I have no real local support network in a highly conservative area and estrogen has basically done fuck all after like 6 years (not to mention the difficulties in getting a stable supply of the injectable form).

As for queer media, I made a bunch of recommendations in the manga thread for lesbian manga worth reading. Also, in terms of trans representation, Wandering Son/Hourou Musuko by Takako Shimura really helped me feel less alone when I was just starting to realize I was trans. There are a few other manga about trans people that handle it well enough (Ai no Shintairiku, Bokura no Hentai, Mermaid Line’s “Ayumi and Aika”), but none of them clicked with me quite as much. There’s also Hayonome wa Moto Danshi, by Chii, which is a neat little autobiographical manga about being a trans woman, and while it’s not translated, the author also maintains a blog about LGBTQ issues.

I still would like to see more good, explicitly trans media, and while I would prefer that works about trans people acknowledge just how painful, scary, and difficult it can be, I could honestly stand to see less stories that are just about coming out and transitioning in the real world.

3 Likes

honestly, I’d love to see some stories that just had trans characters doing normal protagonist things and not either just either coming out or dying. you know, being treated like a person with dignity. I mean theres a lot of webcomics but we’re like 99% invisible in the big media (when we’re not the butt of a joke) and that sucks :confused:

btw Goodbye To Halos is a good comic. I related to the first 2 chapters so hard.

3 Likes

I inversely had a hard time relating with Goodbye to Halos because it’s so at odds with my own experiences. Like, on one hand I really hate when series do shit like just throw the trans character through tragedy after tragedy until they die from sad cancer. At the same time, though, stories where the trans character goes from zero to living and being treated as the gender they identify as without dealing with the debilitating dysphoria or discrimination just kind of makes me feel bitter and envious. Not that I can’t understand their appeal to others.

2 Likes

I went ahead and made this because of :reasons:.

10 Likes

You are a gentleman and a scholar sir, and I wish joy and happiness for you for all of your days :smile:

1 Like

FABULOUS

1 Like

When I was a gay teen I clung to those gay Hyadain!! megaman covers so hard. It was the best gay-centered music I’d ever heard.

Also a shitpost is a very legitimate way to introduce yourself. Don’t feel pressured to say more about yourself than you feel is something you actually want to share or feel good sharing. I think there’s often a pressure put on LGBT people to communicate to everyone around us precisely who we are as some kind of disclaimer or warning. It’s absolutely okay to just come in and say “Hi, I’m $username name and I like games too whats up” or even just to participate in the conversation without introducing yourself. You don’t have to announce your personal information to the public.

Anyway, I really wanna echo Wandering Son as very very very good trans representation. It made me cry. The anime is better than the manga imo. it’s short but it really doesn’t need to go any longer.

I’m sure it hardly needs saying but Undertale has very good lgbt representation. It was one of the first games I played where the gay characters really felt like gay characters and not some sort of intentionally hyper-bland character that offhandedly mentions same-sex attraction while doing nothing different from a straight person. “I’m subverting stereotypes by denying that sometimes some gay people do behave different from straights because of different life experiences and social scenes.”

2 Likes

Checkin’ in, from Ace Island.

1 Like

I’ve heard that Wandering Son is good, but I’ve sort of been hesitating to check it out. I’ve basically been in a constant low level state of stress since November, and I’ve sort of been avoiding any media that seemed like it could get emotionally heavy.

Also, I feel like I should follow the lead of others in the thread and get a bit more real with my introduction. I’m currently in my mid-twenties, and only figured out I was pan within the past few years, partially because I didn’t really realize pan- and bi-sexuality were things growing up. My mom’s best friend was a gay man so I never really felt in danger in terms of coming out, but I convinced myself that the attraction I had to people of my displayed gender at the time was my imagination. I had to work towards getting past this weird mental block in order to acknowledge it.

I’ve always sort of background understood that I was non-binary though. I didn’t have the words to define those feelings either, but I was intrinsically aware that I didn’t really match up with being ‘male’ or ‘female’. As soon as I learned about non-binary gender terms, it just immediately clicked.

Oh, just remembered, a game that has one of my all time favorite gay characters in it now is the recent Night in the Woods. Gregg and Angus are 100% neither flamboyant nor hyper effeminate, just two rad dudes together.

1 Like

All the gay babies in this thread having their awakening in like third grade makes me feel dumb I didn’t even realize I was gay until high school.

2 Likes

I wish I couldve been a gay baby, having realizations at 21 sucks!

I wish I wasn’t such an edgelord in high school so that my transition actually seems plausible, but hey.

yeah i didn’t realize I was gay until freshman/sophomore year. My best friend’s known since he was like 4 :psyduck:

I didn’t know I was ace unti the summer after I graduated high school. I mean, I knew I didn’t like boys or girls, but I never had a word for it. Thankfully, no one I’m my life made a big deal about me not dating in high school, it probably helped that none of my friends dated much either and my parents though it was better for me to focus on my education and band.