Kingdom Hearts: I mean who even follows the story anymore?

I’ve missed the exploration of the first title myself, although, playing through the first game again a year or so back, I do think the controls haven’t aged too well… unsure if there were improvements on that within the HD remakes.

I watched a playthrough of 0.2 since I don’t currently own a PS4, and I was blown away by the graphics, dazzling combat, Aqua in her entirety, and I enjoyed how they managed to tie her into the current events of the series, even if it meant shoving her into the ending of the first game.

Got a real kick out of Riku basically saying: “The fuck? We could have tried to help her?” Though I do understand the reasoning, and agree with it, mostly.

My biggest excitement is just finally seeing resolutions to conflicts we’ve watched build and tie-in to each other for years and years. Personally, I want to see a lot more of Kairi, and I hope we can run with a party full of the Destiny Islands Trio, no offense to Donald and Goofy…

agreed, we need more Kairi actually doing stuff and not being used as motivation bait for Sora or Riku. I wanna swing a flower keyblade.

3 Likes

Save Kairi from bad writing 2k17

1 Like

I think the first few worlds in 1 aren’t that bad, barring the vine section in Deep Jungle I think. Wonderland and Traverse Town have some hidden stuff but it’s other wise pretty linear, and Deep Jungle is varied enough in it’s areas. Argabah with the cave of wonders and Monstro with the numbered chambers I feel are the worst.

Yeah that’s fair, I just remember Wonderland and Deep Jungle being weird about indicating where you had to go and getting lost looping around several times trying to find the next story trigger.

I should find a 1.5/2.5 HD copy when it comes out or dig out my ps3 again once I get through 0.2 and DDD and finally go through Birth By Sleep and maybe replay the others before 3 comes out. It was the only one I didn’t find time for before packing up.

Deep Jungle does have that bad part where you have to fight heartless in every area to save a gorilla for a gummi piece, which no one liked. I really hope if 3 brings back Gummi ship levels they’re good.

1 Like

I remember reading an old Penny Arcade strip where one of them was having trouble with Hunny Slider in KH2, and realizing that I had aced that thing with no trouble, no trouble first time. With that power in hand, I knew, KNEW…that I was slightly better at a video game than some guys who write about video games.

I’ve pretty much been riding that wave of positivity since. :wink:

Is Dream Drop Distance any good? I never played it on the 3DS and I was thinking of getting 2.8 for it (and the Aqua game/demo)

Personally, I enjoyed it! It’s got excellent combat, as per usual, with a new and flashy mechanic added called Flow Motion.

My biggest complaint about Dream Drop is that within it is a Drop Meter that slowly ticks down, and when it finally does you’re forcibly switched from Sora to Riku or vice versa, which can occur even during boss battles and is generally just pretty annoying. 2.8 makes this meter slower as far as I know, so I’d say it’s your best bet for experiencing the game.

it’s alright, just like most command deck games its got bad bosses though and its a bad idea to play it on proud mode. really grindy too with how you actually get commands from the dream eaters

At €59.99 I guess I could wait just a bit more until a psn discount pops up.

I enjoy the gameplay/music and like the story beats regardless of people saying its dumb (and I do acknowledge that I’m enjoying a story rife with dumb ideas and convolution on par with Metal Gear Solid). I am glad the games are all consolidated on PS3/PS4 with the collections. Kinda makes things ever so slightly “Easier” to grasp for some.

I just need to get 2.8 for myself at some point. Does the port of 3D change anything?

I really hope we get to see if the PS4 collection is a complete mess or not in the near future because for as much as I love the Kingdom Hearts franchise, I’ve never beaten a single game due to not having the systems and the new collection seems perfect, assuming it isn’t awful.

Honestly the only problem with the collections are loading stuff, and outside of that there’s only a big problem with drive forms, which take forever. If the PS4 version fixes that it’s really all set.

tbh 2’s ps3 port also has a huge glitch where one of the final bosses their QTEs just doesn’t pop up and it just damages you. so i’d just kinda wait to hear word if the ps4 port is gonna be good.

Was it Reversal for Zebra Man? Because that would explain why he gave me some problems.

it halves(?) Drop speed so you can play for a longer time before it forces you to switch character

yep, tribal tattoo shirt is broken as hell in 2.5 and it makes doing a level 1 critical mode run a huge pain in the ass

I always keep wanting to do another Level 1 Critical run but every time I just wonder if it’s worth the extra work.

Anyone else pre-order the 1.5 + 2.5 collection? Personally, I could not be more excited.