Jetpacks for everyone! Let's play Section-Z and friends?

Hello! Welcome to Section-Z and Friends?

When I was a kid, I remember renting a game on the NES called Section-Z mainly because I really liked listening to the title music. However, when I was done listening to the music and actually played the game, I found that the game was pretty neat and had some really nice mechanics. When I was older and had access to the internet/MAME, I found out that it was actually a port of an arcade game and the first of a loosely tied trilogy of games involving heroes with jetpacks. I also found other games which seems to have taken an influence from Section-Z which also are worth looking at. So, let’s get to playing.

GAMES THAT I WILL BE LOOKING AT (Videos links edited in as they are made)

• Section-Z (NES/FDS)
    Area 1 (Sections 00-19)
    Area 2 (Sections 20-39)
    Area 3 (Sections 40-59)

• Section-Z (Arcade)
    Full Play

• Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (Arcade)
    Quick Look
    Side Arms Special (PC Engine CD) - Before Christ

• Forgotten Worlds (Arcade)
    Quick Look

• Abadox: The Deadly Inner War (NES)
    Quick Look

• Final Mission/S.C.A.T (NES)
    S.C.A.T - Special Cybernetic Attack Team
    Final Mission

• Legendary Wings (NES)
    Full Play Part 1
    Full Play Part 2

• Legendary Wings (Arcade)
    Full Play

Why are you only doing “Quick Look” for some games and “Full Plays” for others?
Preference. It’s about how much I like playing the game and what I feel would be interesting. For example, Side Arms is kind of long and honestly a bit samey so I don’t know if I’ll be playing through the whole game. I don’t really care for Forgotten Worlds or Abodox so I’ll just be taking brief looks at those and I very little experience with Final Mission.

Wait…why is Legendary Wings on there?
Because I like it and it has some side-scrolling flying sections that kind of remind me of Section-Z.

So you are super good at these games right since you played them a bunch?
Nope. Expect blunders and bad gameplay every once in a while. I’m not going to be abusing save states or anything like that, but I will use easy difficulty selections if they give me the option.

Hey, game X should totally be on that list!
If you think I should take a look at a certain game, let me know and I’ll consider it if I feel it fits. The only game I’m straight out avoiding is Omega Five as I don’t own it and from what I remember from the demo, it plays like ass.

Also, this is my first video LP in a while so there might be some roughness around the edges. I’m also notoriously bad with audio balance so if you hear anything off, let me know.

Thanks for stopping by!

5 Likes

So, uh, finally got off my ass, rounded up some people, and recorded a new episode!

We finish out the NES version of Section-Z with what some would call a whimperbang.

3 Likes

I genuinely like a lot of the ideas from this game, even if the execution is a bit flaky. Especially a fan of the character design.

2 Likes

I really enjoy your lack of inhibition in talking about a game(s) you love so much. Especially for a project this ambitious.