I know the world is ending, let me listen for a bit tho. "Best Final Boss Songs"

Damn, I forgot about this track. Makes me excited for NMH3 because even if it’s not great, it will at least sound amazing

1 Like

Honestly it took me a handful of times to beat the Octo dude, but the battle was so intense! And I did love the music, and I liked how the battles covered so much ground.

Lost Odyssey has probably my favorite JRPG final boss song. Great guitar and chanting in the first half, with drums and rapping in the second half.

1 Like

Found the cutest version of 'The Last Song’

1 Like

Both Ōkami and Ōkamiden have really good final boss tracks: Rising Sun, Eclipse

Pretty much all of the Mario and Luigi games have great final boss music (and music in general, because Yoko Shimomura is an amazing composer), and my favorite would probably be Dream Team’s final boss music. I know Bowser’s Inside Story is usually the one people remember, but Dream Team’s stuck with me more.

2 Likes

Good theme, if it didn’t remind me of that self healing bastard…

I can’t talk about video game music without bringing up Kingdom Hearts…

Not technically a final boss but definitely the music that happens at this game’s climactic confrontation, I have a soft spot for melancholic post-rock style music, so I’d like to put Spec Ops: The Line’s “Truth Revealed” here:

1 Like

Bravely Default has an exceptional soundtrack and the final boss theme is near, or maybe even at, the top of the list. The choir gives it a very Dancing Mad vibe and the medley of the character themes really sells it as a climactic final fight. I was a little disappointed Revo didn’t come back for Bravely Second, because he really knocked it out of the park.

2 Likes

A personal favourite of mine is Shadow Hearts final boss theme

And I really like Etrian Odyssey 4 final boss theme

Also I expected someone to post this one

3 Likes

Second Armageddon from Arcana is fantastic

The Final Battle from FFIV is pretty basic, but really good

Termination from the TurboCD version of Ys Book I and II is a great classic.

Finally, Last Springsteen from Contra Hard Corps

2 Likes

Two Metal Gear posts and neither are It Fucking Has To Be This Way?! Is it too cliche an answer? I won’t live in a world where it’s too cliche an answer.

1 Like

All the music of The Line is very effective—both the score and its licensed music. It’s how I discovered The Black Angels. [mild Spec Ops spoiler] Oh, and the Radioman singing “Bad Boys” is an unforgettable moment.

I was super pleased when I heard Mogwai’s “Glasgow Mega-Snake” during one of the big firefight sections of the game, so I’ve gotta agree with you there!

1 Like

I can’t speak for the actual game quality since I’ve never played a Shadow Hearts game, but I’ve always thought Lady Tears from Shadow Hearts 3 was pretty fitting. That perfect mix/transition from discordant to melodic melancholy was superb.

Also since we’ve brought up Mario and Luigi: the final boss theme for Bowsers Inside Story just gives me the best vibes.

And while Child of Eden was lesser to Rez in many respects, but it’s music during the last archive and epilogue has both given me chills and made me tear up because of the music/visuals.

1 Like

Shadow Hearts is a pretty fun game but I have no idea how the first one aged. Also the third one was okay? More on the goofy side than the other games, and yeah the final boss music on that one was great.

Also to contribute to the final boss music thing here’s a great theme

Aria’s theme from Killer Instinct is pretty good.

1 Like

Kirby 64 is a pretty boring, cutesy game with a final boss with unprecedented levels of badassness.

Also, this isn’t really the final boss, but it’s pretty close.

2 Likes

I really like (one of) Bloodborne’s final boss themes, The First Hunter:

Seriously, From Software makes some of the best final boss music around.

4 Likes