I Knew You'd Risk Yourself For Dr. Light - Let's Play the Classic Mega Man Games

Given the short length of these games, and the fact that I’ll be playing many of them in a row, this is a thread for the entire Classic series. I won’t be replaying Mega Man 1 or Mega Man 2, but you can follow those links to their respective playlists. Mega Man 3 has its own thread on the forum.

Robot Master Roulette - Let’s Play Mega Man 4

Beware Cossack’s definitely evil robots made for nothing other than combat. Yes, even the one that eats trash.

Dr. Wily may definitely be gone for good, but a new evil scientist has risen to take his place: Dr. Cossack, jealous of Dr. Light’s fame, has sent eight robot masters to defeat Mega Man and prove that he’s the greatest evil scientist in the world. And, uh… that’s it. Go get ‘im, Mega Man.

Mega Man 4 was released around a year after Mega Man 3, and some would say that this is the point in the series where that short gap between releases really starts to show. Despite this, Mega Man 4, like its predecessor, introduced a move that not only changed the Classic series, but would become a staple in just about every other game: the charged shot. Even without a boss weapon, Mega Man can charge his basic attack so that it actually does damage. Ain’t that nifty?

Episode List

Part 1: Duster Buster

Part 2: Skullduggery

Part 3: Not a Good Drill to Die On

Part 4: Ten in a Pha-Row

Part 5: One More for the Toad

Part 6: Diver Down

Part 7: On the Bright Side

Part 8: Victory by Ring Out

Part 9: Slink In

Part 10: Crane in the Neck

Part 11: Met-tric Ton

Part 12: Dr. Wily’s Perhaps Seventh- Wait it’s Eighth to Last Stand Again

Oh brother, where art thou? (And why did you kidnap my dad?)

Peace has been disturbed, but this time it’s not Wily behind- what, you heard that last time? Okay, sure. But this time he’s definitely gone, and now it’s Proto Man calling the shots! And not only has Mega Man’s own brother decided to attack humanity, he’s kidnapped Dr. Light in the process! As is dueling tradition, Mega Man must face down eight Robot Masters before he challenge Proto Man. Surely, it will be a tragic battle for the fate of 20xx Japan.

It’s Mega Man 5! Once again it released only a year after 4, and this time around there’s no Charged shot to spice up the gameplay. There is, in fact, no particularly big game changer this time around. But, on the bright side, it does look really nice. That’s gotta count for something, right?

Episode List

Part 1: Robot of Stone

Part 2: Open Napalm Slap

1 Like

Part 1: Duster Buster

First off, it’s Dust Man! Dust Man is a sanitization robot robot meant to harness the power of garbage against his enemies. What better way to defeat Mega Man than to crush him with actual trash? I mean, other than the other seven robot masters with more impressive abilities. Outside of them, it’s the best way.

1 Like

Part 2: Skullduggery

You know, I can’t help but feel like Cossack is muscling in on Wily’s territory with this one. Come on, that’s respectful to the guy who definitely died in the last game (once again please don’t check a wiki). Oh well. Here’s Skull Man, he’s a skeleton that Dr. Cossack made.

1 Like

Part 3: Not a Good Drill to Die On

Drill Man: One of the many, many poor Robot Masters created with objects instead of hands. And unlike Needle Man, his aren’t exactly conducive for hobbies outside of digging. But it certainly makes for an annoying fight, that’s for sure.

1 Like

Part 4: Ten in a Pha-Row

So to recap: Dr. Cossack created a robot with an Egyptian aesthetic, and said robot was made to desecrate ancient tombs while using the image of their old kings to do so. But that’s fine, because Pharaohs sucked and Mega Man is going to shoot him anyway.

1 Like

Part 5: One More for the Toad

Toad Man was not made for this life of violence. Yet here he is anyway. Thrown cruelly in the path of Mega Man, as if that’s the purpose he was made for. At least, if nothing else, Toad Man can do a little jiggle as a final act of defiance against a world he was never met to be a part of.

He will not, however, make it rain.

1 Like

Part 6: Diver Down

What happens when you combine a submarine and a torpedo? Dive Man. Does Dive Man care for his state of existence? Not particularly. Is he going to keep hurling himself straight into his foes anyway? Absolutely.

1 Like

Oh, looks like part 7 didn’t post initially. Uh… whoops?

Part 7: On the Bright Side

You wouldn’t expect much of a challenge from Bright Man, but it turns out you actually need at least three Mega Men to easily beat a light bulb. But there’s only one, so have fun getting jumped on.

Part 8: Victory by Ring Out

They say you shouldn’t mix business and pleasure, but Ring Man does it perfectly. Not only is he an effective strategist, but he’s also mastered ring toss. Could anyone stand up to such a deadly force? Well I mean, yeah. It’s a video game so it was made to be won. But if anyone could blend such skills in real life? Unstoppable.

1 Like

Part 9: Slink In

It’s that time once again! Mega Man has to storm a castle citadel in search of an evil scientist bent on world domination. It’s a situation you wouldn’t think would be mundane, and yet here it’s an average Sunday for our hero Mega Man.

1 Like

Part 10: Crane in the Neck

Hey Mega Man, where have you been? Stuck mid-teleportation in Cossack’s Citadel? Oh, I hate it when that happens. Anyway, now that Mega Man has freed himself from time dilation, it’s time to defeat Dr. Cossack! Which I assume will end the game. Who else would there be to fight?

1 Like

Part 11: Met-tric Ton

Well shucks, Wily was behind this all along.

Time for another castle.

1 Like

Part 12: Dr. Wily’s Perhaps Seventh- Wait it’s Eighth to Last Stand Again

Most of WIly’s Castle has been cleared, which means its time to throw open his door and take down his big skull-themed machines! But first, we gotta stick to tradition and do a boss rush. Then we can beat up Wily.

1 Like

Oh brother, where art thou? (And why did you kidnap my dad?)

Peace has been disturbed, but this time it’s not Wily behind- what, you heard that last time? Okay, sure. But this time he’s definitely gone, and now it’s Proto Man calling the shots! And not only has Mega Man’s own brother decided to attack humanity, he’s kidnapped Dr. Light in the process! As is dueling tradition, Mega Man must face down eight Robot Masters before he challenge Proto Man. Surely, it will be a tragic battle for the fate of 20xx Japan.

It’s Mega Man 5! Once again it released only a year after 4, and this time around there’s no Charged shot to spice up the gameplay. There is, in fact, no particularly big game changer this time around. But, on the bright side, it does look really nice. That’s gotta count for something, right?

Part 1: Robot of Stone

It’s Stone Man vs Rock Mega Man, as the Blue Bomber heads out to fight the first of Proto Man’s Robot Masters. No, he’s not the Thing. Stone Man is made of rocks. It’s different.

1 Like

Part 2: Open Napalm Slap

Mega Man heads into the jungle in order to fight Napalm Man, who might be a war criminal, but is definitely a Robot Master following Proto Man’s orders. So we can nail him on that, at least.

1 Like