I couldn't come up with a good pun for NaNoWriMo.

The best I could come up with was something like, “So, I said, ‘Nan! O, wri mo books, would ya’?’” and that sounds awful.

For those of you not in the know, NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is a nonprofit that promotes literacy and writing by getting people to write a 50,000 word novel in just 30 days; from November 1st until November 30th. You can check them out and set up an account here: https://nanowrimo.org/

Anyway, I wanted to start a thread for the 2020 NaNoWriMo. A place to share and talk about writing and the progress (or lack of progress) we’re making in tackling that most daunting of literary tasks: Writing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. That works itself out to right around 1,700 words a day. An impressive feat, but highly doable.

So, feel free to join the conversation, whether you’re writing or not. Post snippets of your stories, offer friendly advice, or ask for a prompt to get you started. If no one uses this, it’ll just get archived at the end of November, but if people do, maybe I’ll make a “Winter Writing-land” thread for December or something.

I wanted to post this a couple days early to give people time to set up and make their presence known and what not, so, I guess have at.

Cheers!

Welp, I’m just over 2,000 words into a story about a skeleton in a castle who has to defend it against invaders, a la the Castlevania games. We’ll see how well this one goes, I guess. Last year, I got to about 30,000 words before I ran out of gas for the story.

Welp, I don’t think anyone is reading this, so I’m just kind of telling things to the void, but I’m up to over 10,000 words, already. Shooting for ~2,000 words/day, though we’ll see how long that lasts.

One week in, and I’m at just over 14,000 words, despite basically not writing at all yesterday (other stuff to deal with).

Two week check in (though this is as much for myself as anyone else, I guess.) and I’m officially over the halfway point. 26,336 words so far. Woo!

5 days left and I’m at 40,000 words, despite taking 5 days off to go camping. Yay!