I Came, I Saw, I Climbed - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Just a little clarification about Blood Moons: they do not reset treasure chests, koroks, shrines or dungeons. They do however reset everything else. So if you took a weapon sticking from the ground or downed a bee hive or broke a pot or chopped down a tree or killed an enemy, that’s all back!

The only things that don’t respawn are certain special… animals, but those have different conditions for spawning.

Blupees and Fairies have different spawn conditions, Blupees being seemingly random and Fairies only spawning if you have less than 3 in your inventory.

There is a glitch that allows you to respawn chests, koroks and dungeons, tho, if you’re so inclined. It does however require the first DLC pack.

I’ve noticed that if I approach Hyrule Castle, the Blood Moon tends to appear even out of sequence. I think it’s a measure to ensure that the castle is always as difficult as possible.

And when I say out of sequence, I mean it. It once rose in the middle of the day.

More on Blood Moons: They can trigger even if you’re passing time by waiting at a campfire or sleeping at an inn. The screen will fade out, the Blood Moon cutscene will play, and you’ll wake up. This is done so you can’t skip them.

This _might_be a glitch. Mid day blood moons tend to trigger when the game has spent a long time without turning off. Especially common in the Switch version, since you can suspend the game.

If that’s true, it was a matter of hours. I turn off the system when I quit the game and never leave it running when I’m not playing.

Yeah, Midday Blood Moons have happened to me after playing for a couple of hours as well (Wii U version). After it happens once they tend to happen with frequency until you turn the game off then on again. Again, I’m pretty sure it’s a bug, since the game itself tells you it only happens at midnight.

I like to think that aggressive Blood Moons are a step up from Nintendo’s normal “You’ve been playing for a while, you should probably take a break.” messages they have in other games.

1 Like

That would be more effective if it happened every day.

“Link… Link… You’ve been journeying for so long. I know I keep telling you to hurry, but you should really rest after about two hours of playing, and watch for people and breakable objects before swinging your arms.”

CR Gates on Twitter fulfills another art request:

2 Likes

I’m also crthemighty here on LP Zone! I use Twitter for “professional” use. Like drawing owls ramping cars.

The way Blood Moons are intended to work is simply that they appear on a full moon. There’s a quest later that involves the blood moon, and the best way I found to predict it was to play amatuer astronomer and keep an eye on phases. Of course, I’ve also gotten lucky and the only glitchiness I’ve encountered is occasional framerate hitches.

2 Likes

And here’s pretty much everything else I could be assed to sniff out from the castle. Next week is Ganon early.

Perfect parries can in fact be performed with any shield and doing so does not hurt the shield at all! You can reflect the most powerful attacks in the game with just a pot lid!

I learned that well before I uploaded these parts, but I haven’t addressed it so that people will keep commenting in my threads.

That Korok balloon can be hit, but it’s a really, really long shot. You have to aim at the sky and arc your shot in the most ridiculous way possible.

In the main run, we escape Central Hyrule with a couple of new animal friends and learn to hate Octoroks.

In the alternate run we :siren:SPOIL EVERY BOSS:siren:

1 Like

Carok, or a homonym thereof, was the fourth boss in Zelda 2 - the teleporting wizard you could only defeat by reflecting his own magic back at him. The number of references to earlier Zelda games, which don’t distract from the game at hand if you don’t recognize them, is one of my favorite things about this game.

The solution I remember using for that shrine with the rotating laser was dropping a bomb next to the switch, then detonating it once I’d solved the rest of the puzzle the expected way.

As for Calamity Ganon, I found the easiest attack to parry to be that giant spear he throws. It’s also probably the most visually impressive.

I’m sure you know this by now, but the second Tempered Power puzzle requires you to give the ball “11” energy. That is 11 hits with a one handed weapon or 5 hits with a heavy weapon and 1 with a one handed weapon. It’s fairly easy to aim the last hit with the one handed weapon, even.

It may have been because it was like, 4am, but Yami’s indignant “What did you think would happen?!” when you jumped on the fire made me laugh for a good five minutes.

As for the alternate run, color me impressed. I still get nervous around Guardians with nearly all the hearts. An interesting side effect of a low heart run is having to pay more attention to the boss mechanics (and potential exploits).

Like all good open world games, BotW is a game that has an intended way of doing things, but it won’t punish you for being creative. As I always say, if the game lets you do it, it isn’t cheating.

Seems Skippy and I will be at odds regarding which region and host species is best. For my money, we’re peaking early.

Hmmm. I’m pretty sure that I didn’t meet Sidon until the second or third time he talks to you on the river. At the very least, I never saw that first cutscene with him, which is why I was surprised when he actually had a voice. I was also surprised when I later found out how many friggin Lizalfos there were on the main path, because I went in as straight a line as possible to Zora’s Domain; I must have climbed/glided right past the bridge Sidon waits at.

See, this is why the hapless travelers get pummeled by bokoblins, they’re actually on a road. I will get where I’m going by going in entirely the incorrect direction. Let this be a lesson to monsters: set up your ambushes near shiny rocks and obvious precipices, that’s what I’m actually checking out.

1 Like