I Am the Law - LP Judge Dredd vs.Death

I’d like to hear more about your Fallout 4 rant.

2 Likes

I second this idea. A good rant can be rather entertaining and informative.

and White_Coke

There’s a stream I did uploaded on Mr. DJBs channel you can find here if you’re looking for something to wet your tongues. I’m more or less covering thing as they come up and come to mind from the beginning of the game; the free form jazz of video game criticism on the internet if you will.

I’ll be the first to admit that I could be a lot more concise and accurate with a planned video, which funnily enough is on the docket. I’ve got the first draft of a script written up which is about 26 pages long, this obviously needs refining. This won’t come too soon though, I’ve got a video on Equilibrium to finish editing, that I shot over a month ago and a follow up video on a director that really doesn’t understand dystopian fiction or subtlety that I should really shoot at some point before I move on to Fallout.

Hopefully I can crack these down and get that all done cause it’s something I really want to dissect and get into.

1 Like

New Video:

Part 6 - The Mean Streets of Justice

Oh hey YouTube’s redesigned itself to look more like bland bird shit again. This doesn’t change anything about the LP though.

If this level was in a movie it would be called filler, it would also be called a poorly paced movie. Not much to really say about this level. Dredd kind of runs around the streets, breaking into apartments and shooting everyone who’s different. There’s also a destructible piece of environment and at one point an NPC gets so fed up with it’s own AI it tries killing itself.

2 Likes

Judge Cal (named for Caligula) was a head of the SJS who used his position to become Chief Judge through blackmail and assassination, so the SJS isn’t perfect. It’s a pretty damning indictment of Cal and the Judges in general that he had a picture of Hitler on his desk. Cal also engaged in blatant nepotism when he made his pet goldfish, Judge Fish his Deputy Judge.

Is that maybe what the sentence of “possession of a goldfish without a licence,” is a reference to?

New Video:

Part 7 - Dr. Mortis

We’re about halfway through the campaign and we finally have a boss fight so I think it’ll be a good point to talk about:

Dark Judge Mortis

Judge Mortis is a spoopy ghost person, who’s head looks like a smelly beast skelington and likes to throw smells at the elderly, so they can turn into stinky skelingtons instead of being alive some more…

The comic is actually a bit more nuanced than that. Mortis is an interpretation of pestilence, the first horseman of the apocalypse from the best selling book: The Bible. Pestilence rides a white horse in lore but in Gordon Rennie’s interpretation in Judge Dredd; he’s sort of just there spreading diseases and making things a bit shitter.

Luckily he does even less in this game and kind of just throws toxic clouds in a hospital instantly killing people, as apposed to opening up the opportunity to explore the legalistic of health care in a dystopian environment that’s a farcical mirror of modern day.

1 Like

For various reasons Dredd had believed himself to be guilty of committing some crime or another, and he willingly complies with the law as long as he believes he’s a criminal. Once he realizes he’s innocent then he becomes willing to fight back against other judges.

1 Like

New Video:

Part 8 - Judge Skeletor

The whole if this level is one quick boss fight which can be boiled down to hitting 5 switches, while being chased by an immortal being that half hearted stops to throw fire balls in your general direction. Somehow this managed to be the second smartest of the boss fights in the game. This is also the turning point to where the combat boils down to even less, I’m guessing the second half of the game was where Rebellion realised they had overspent or just simply gave up.

Judge Fire:
And yes that is his name

Judge Fire has very little to note about his “character” as like Mortis; Fire’s pretty much a side villain and isn’t much the focus of the Judge Dredd vs. Death arc. What can be noted from the comics, is that he actually used to be a human, named Fuego. He used to be a follower of the death cult who originally summoned the Dark Judge into reality and was rewarded by Death for his deeds of burning down a children’s school for violation noise regulations.

AS the second horseman of the apocalypse he is essentially war - the red horse and so represents and channels conquest. Too bad he only has 5 minutes devoted to him in JDvD.

1 Like

The Early comics were apparently written in the style of Afterschool Specials, as parodies. But they dropped it because they were apparently to wooden or something.

And everything about this video and your commentary was great. I loved the Skeletor impression

I really find it sad that they didn’t have judge Mortis head into say the central ventilation or environmental control area and flood the area whole building with toxin that way. Boss fight would be trying to shut down or seal off vents to prevent mortis from killing everyone and sealing him inside the system.

Edit: The skeletor jokes and impression were fantastic.

I want a Left 4 Dead style four player co-op where you play as the Dark Judges punishing the living for their crimes.

1 Like

New Video

Part 9 - Soylent Green is Made of Jpegs

I think I may have gone too far in some places with this video. Also minor gore warnings for this level. It’s more so for the idea of what’s presented in this level, even if the artists did do their best to render human soup in a 2003 video game it can be quite disconcerting.

This level takes place in a “Resyk Centre,” which is essentially where the dead are ground up and possessed until they are edible. It’s basically a way of dealing with a lack of resources in an overly populated city. The subtext of can be construed as a commentary on how dispensable human life is in an overpopulated system, however the more you think about the concepts potential subtext the more it falls apart. Like is it trying to say recycling bad?

You may also recognise this concept from the dystopian novel Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison, or what;s more widely recognised, the film adaptation: Soylent Green.

Although it has a very slow pace by today’s standards and certain aspects have aged somewhat poorly, I very much recommend watching Soylent Green if anything for seeing where many dystopian works have drawn inspiration. If not that then in 5 years from now you can turn around to people and brag “I knew this would happen!”

2 Likes

That’s pretty much what the co-op boiled down to. I think the closest thing you’ll find to that these days is when people play cops in GTA online.

See that would at least make this an interesting/ remotely difficult boss fight. This game does have the vibe of being quickly re-built after a server crash. Whether or not this was the developers original plans, you can ask the hypothetical question: As awsome as your idea sounds, did the developers care half as much as you do?

1 Like

They really missed an opportunity here. Imagine having to fight zombified food.

I like to think the zombies are just the normal workers who’ve worked too long at the company.

1 Like

That’d be great, it’d just be a shambling mound of flesh in it’s most simple form. But you could actually add a time mechanic to the level with you having to run away from a carnivorous ooze, slowly spreading itself through the level with you having to shut down airlocks to stem the flow.

You could even turn that into a boss fight with the Dark Judges. Whilst you’re closing off airlocks to “Stop that droking SLUDGE!” the Dark Judge could be unlocking others, turning the boss fight into a game of chess of sorts. You would have to out smart them and lock them between airlocks to defeat them.

This probably would take a lot of work, especially for the time this game was made and could also prove too difficult for players so it’s not likely we’ll see this mission outside of an indi game where this puzzle would be every level from a top down.

1 Like

New Video:

Part 10 - Level Number 2

Yey! It’s a sewer level, that’s everyone’s favourite environment right? Down with all the poo gas?

So this level is supposed to be based around the boss of Judge Fear and so does a lot of “spooky things,” like there’s dark flickering lights, zombies (which we all know are really spooky and not over used, even in this game), limited ammo and Judge Fear keeps mouthing off at us in a deep voice with a reverb effect, telling us (the big scowling sci-fi cop) that we’re scared… Also there’s poo.

We also have an encounter with Judge Fear:

In lore Judge Fear took part in a rioting contest to see who could massacre a city block first, which is why he wears bear traps on his shoulders.

Whilst on said rampage he met a small child that wasn’t really fazed by his actions, which is why, in lore, when he removes his helmet his face is made of eyeballs. The child’s lack of fear haunted the Dark Judge for years.

Judge Death is also paranoid that the other Dark Judges want to assassinate him, so he hides in a castle, which is good seeing as he looks like the dark knight from Deathstalker 3.

That is all. Also BOOOOOooo!

The Rogue Trooper remake came out today so I wouldn’t rule out a remake of this game too.

New Video:

Part 11 - Planet Dead World (Ending)

Just before the game starts to outstay its welcome, we end it here. A mish-mash of poor AI, level designing and heavily outdated shooting mechanics, posed against a whacky story about ghosts doing a murder in a cyberpunk police state.

Of course I couldn’t finish this update or LP without a word about our dear friend, second billing -
Judge Death:

Ok so dredd.wiki time. Judge Death was once a human child named Sidney Death. Naturally, as a son of a dentist, said child had an unhealthy obsession with death and so became a Judge as a means to get away with murder, rationalising his actions as all crime is a result of life so life itself is the crime.

As these sorts of details aren’t really important to the story as a whole, the rest is pretty much “and then he became Death.” The rest of the adventure of Judge Death are pretty much what they are in this game, he try’s to do the murder in Mega City 1 and Dredd sends him packing.

In Summary:

This LP’s been a lot of fun for me, a nice simple game and not too long that it kills me. You’ve all been lovely and I hope showcasing this pile of Drok has been as enjoyable to watch as it has been for me to play.

1 Like