Here Comes Space Satan - Let's Play Killer Instinct Season 3: Shadow Lords

You know, considering that the dude basically has a tekbow, I feel like I’m gonna have a hard time calling him anything other than “Turok.”

Also, damn, I’m digging the little chunks of his design.

Yeah, no kidding. Those comparisons are going to become even more appropriate in the Riptor matchup.

Oh boy, KI is one of the most interesting fighting games I’ve played, so needless to say I’m very excited for this LP. The first episode is excellent so I’m keeping my expectations high. Best of luck!

On a side note: I think it’s worth noting that Infil’s guide hasn’t been updated in a while and some parts of his character analyses aren’t 100% accurate anymore. The guide is still excellent for learning the game’s mechanics, but new players should be aware that some things regarding certain characters have been patched.

Yeah, some little tidbits of it are outdated as of now. While still an amazing resource, not every part of it holds true in the game’s current state. Once Eagle rolls in and a balance patch with him, I’ll be able to start making character breakdowns in what may be the game’s final form aside from some minor tweaks and what not.

Hey, people! This might seem a little excessive, but I don’t really care. I’m all about excess. A couple of days ago, the huge tourney Combo Breaker was going down. Now, if you’ve peeped this thread, you’ve probably already seen the Eagle teaser that was shown there. But what if you missed the glorious Top 8 that it debuted at? Well, now that Spooky’s got it up, here’s the link:

Just about every match here is worth watching, but if you want to see one of the greatest comebacks (a term I don’t use lightly when it comes to this game), go straight to 1:23:32 and watch a true spectacle that shows why I love watching this game. However, I recommend watching all of it. KI at high level is a real treat, and this is some of the best from some of the best.

2 Likes

Well, well, well, would you look at what just dropped today:

Eagle’s coming in hot on June 27th, so once he comes around and I get a grasp of him, we can finally get this shindig started.

1 Like

We’re approaching the release of Eagle, and as such, the devs have given us some actual factual gameplay footage of Eagle so we can properly see him in action. Here’s a couple matches for you to get a look at him.

In terms of other news we’ve gotten from the KI guys, it’ll soon be easier than ever to get this game since it’s coming to Steam later this year! It’s been locked away on Xbone (soon to be Xbonx) and Windows 10, but now it should be available to anyone with a Steam account (which is like everyone).

Woo! Eagle is finally here. I’ve dicked around with him for a couple hours now and I can tell that he’s a really strong character. Strong zoning, great mobility, and dirty mixups with the help of his birdy bud. However, it’s pretty clear he’s got weak defense, resource reliance, some stubby normals and average damage at best. But make no mistake, Eagle is a really fun character that truly shines as probably one of the best characters in the game when you put the time in. Even if you don’t own the game, Eagle is the free character for the week, so you’re free to try him for a couple of days. While you’re at it, why not give his theme a listen:

2 Likes

God, I’ll never get over how good basically all of KI’s music is. I’m definitely looking forward to diving into the game proper once I can scrounge together the cash for a new computer.

Good news, everyone!

Now that my computer is finally fixed and I have everything I need, I can actually make some content for this project! Took way longer than I wanted it to for several reasons, but we should be on track now. Got the first episode’s footage all recorded, so with a little bit of editing and VO, I should be able to have it up within the week. Fingers crossed, people.

2 Likes

Okay, okay. Quick post. Obviously I didn’t keep good on my last post, but have no fear! I have actually been working on the video. It’s about 70% done at this point and I should be able to have it finished today or tomorrow. If all goes according to plan, the latest the episode will get posted is Saturday. I can assure you that I will get something out there for you in the next couple of days.

1 Like

Well, the wait is finally over. I’ve been dragging you folks along for over 5 months now, but no longer. As promised, I’ve finished the first episode of the LP. Let’s trudge through the tutorial as Combo Assist trips me up and I lay down how the KI universe arrived to the point of space Goliath trying to do TAC infinites on the earth. And so, here it is:

Hope you people enjoy it.

4 Likes

Episode turned out alright! Looking forward to the next, but just wanted to let you know I Hate You for Making Me Want to Pick This Game Up (There is no hate for anything, but that’s my way of saying you made this interesting!):stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

When I say this, it goes for everyone else as well.

If you’re thinking about picking up Killer Instinct, I would hold off for now. I would wait till the Steam version drops personally. By that time, the post Season 3 characters (Kilgore, Shinsako, and Eagle) will also be included in the Definitive Edition of the game that costs like $40. There’s no release date as of yet, but I’d wager it’ll be some time this fall. So if you’re feeling the killer groove, the next couple of months should give you some time to clear out your backlog of all the amazing games that have come out this year. In addition, the Steam release will see a rekindled interest for online matches with all the new people stepping up to the plate.

2 Likes

What’s up, people? Popping in for another quick text update here. School’s taking a lot of my time at the moment, so I apologize with how much of a wait there is between parts. However, with KI having some recent news, I thought I’d come in and lay down what’s down the road for the game in the near future.

First up, there’s the Monster Ultimate pack that came out on August 22nd, which features Ultimate finishers for Sabrewulf, Glacius, Aganos, Hisako, and Mira. You can watch them here if you wish, or you can wait till I show them off in the LP:

Actually in the future, most likely on September 5th (they said that’s the date they’re shooting for), we’ll see the 3.9 patch’s release. if you want what exactly is in the patch notes, you can find them in this video they made:

Or you can read the more detailed notes on the website here: https://www.ultra-combo.com/3-9-patch-notes/

So what’s the big deal about this patch? They’ve stated that as of this patch, they are “very happy with the game and where the balance lies”. Because of that, the patch doesn’t have a huge amount of changes. Along with that, we likely won’t see any big patch updates for quite awhile according to them. So, if you’re looking for a good time to hop in, this indeterminate stretch of time where the game will be mostly unchanging would be a good jumping point.

Speaking of, we’ve gotten vague details on the release of the Steam version, which is “we are now looking at weeks rather than months down the road”. It’s not too much longer, people.

We’ll leave it at that for now. A lot of this is probably pretty dry for a lot of you, but I felt it was worth informing you all about where everything is heading at this current juncture. As for the LP proper, the next episode will be focusing on Sabrewulf, TJ Combo, and Rash, and all the things there is to do with them in Shadow Lords, as well as advancing our knowledge of the mode a little further. Hopefully I get that done in the near future, but only time will tell how long I procrastinate on this.

So guess what came out? Ruiner! Doesn’t that game look fun? I think so.

Oh yeah, and KI just came out on Steam today!

The game is 25% off right now too, so now is definitely the time to get it if you’ve been waiting to take the plunge.
So what does that mean? That means the game’s gonna be $30. But what are you getting?

• All 29 characters (including the limbo children that are Shadow Jago, Kilgore, Shisako and Eagle)
  • All 20 stages (and then there’s the Astral Plane which you unlock)
  • All costumes (excluding only the colors that come with the Ultimate Source figures)
  • All the other content that comes with the free version of the game

If you have any other questions regarding this development, go check out the official post over at: https://www.ultra-combo.com/ki-steam-qa/

If you end up picking the game up, enjoy yourselves!