Full Body Juggalos - Let's Play Total Overdose

Latest update: Part 10 - FINALE

Total Overdose: A Gunslinger’s Tale in Mexico is a 2005 PC, PS2 and Xbox sandbox shooter. It’s often called a GTA-clone, but it’s more of a mix of GTA, Max Payne and Tony Hawk. You play as Ramiro “Ram” Cruz, who’s trying to infiltrate the Morales Cartel to find out who was responsible for the death of his father (and also to get his prison sentence removed). There’s a lot of jumping, shooting and casual racism. Also there is music.

How are you playing this?

This is the PC version of the game, purchased from GOG.com. The Let’s Play is post-commentary and I am joined by the lovely trio of El Tipejo Loco, Iron Chitlin and TorpidTypist.

Will you be doing/collecting everything in the game?

I’ll complete all the side quests to get as many unlocks as possible, but due to there being a lot of content that is essentially the same, I will only show off each mission type once. I won’t be getting all collectibles, because there’s really no point to it.

:glitchcrab: SPOILER POLICY :glitchcrab:

Don’t spoil anything ahead of the episodes.

EPISODE LIST

Playlist
Part 01 - Tony Hawk’s Pro Shooter
Part 02 - Farmcore
Part 03 - Sidetracked
Part 04 - The Castle Dock-trine
Part 05 - He Tried to Kill Me With a Forklift
Part 06 - DEA(D) On Arrival
Part 07 - What a Load of Bull
Part 08 - Keep That Combo Going
Part 09 - Short Jokes
Part 10 - FINALE

2 Likes

Post reserved.

Alright time to see how awful this can get!

1 Like

For the longest time, I only knew about this because of ads in Game Informer. For whatever reason, I thought this was going to be a game with linear levels. I was kinda surprised when I bought it on GOG.

1 Like

Hello! It’s time for an update. Part 02: Farmcore.

1 Like

It’s time to deal with a lot of side missions in Part 03: Sidetracked

Is the twist that Ram is a secret Virgillos and you have to kill yourself to 100% the game?

I remember playing this game on a demo disk I got roughly 500 times, then forgetting about its existence for years until literally right this second.

After watching the videos, I feel this game has somehow found itself in a twilight zone where it’s simultaneously too over the top and not gonzo enough. Tony Hawk started going big pretty quickly. In the first level of the second game, you could cause a helicopter to destroy part of the hangar. By THUG (which came out two years before this game), you were jumping off a skyscraper over a helicopter.

In Total Overdose, the most out-there thing so far is summoning a luchador to fight hallucinatory trick-or-treaters. While that sounds pretty goofy, it’s not particularly exciting, as we’ve seen. I think a huge problem is that it just looks slow paced. Running looks slow and the enemies take too many bullets to kill unless you do the headshot thing. While the game wants you to feel awesome, you don’t feel particularly effective as you blow up a car and gun down a dozen enemies.

When I see this and think “How could this be fixed?” I can’t help but think about Bulletstorm, because really, if you say “Single-player shooter where you get points for killing people”, you think of that game, not this one. Bulletstorm always has crazy stuff happening and gives you more ways to deal with an enemy than just shooting them. Most importantly, it doesn’t have an empty boring open world. There doesn’t seem to be anything to do in this open world other than shitty stunt jumps and starting side missions and it seems to kill the pacing.

Ultimately, the pace and presentation of the game stop it from living up to what the image at the top of the thread promises.

1 Like

UPDATE:

Part 04 - The Castle Dock-trine

Let’s have fun getting lost in virtual shipyards.

Yeah, it seems like this would have been better if it wasn’t open world at least.

That’s most games though.

UPDATE:

Part 05 - He Tried to Kill Me With a Forklift

Time for one of the worst side missions in the game.

UPDATE:

Part 06 - DEA(D) On Arrival

We’re back to on track and continuing the main storyline. Drama. Deception. Plot twists!

UPDATE:

Part 07 - What a Load of Bull

Time for a change of heart with an evil faction and also a boss fight.

Is Ram’s brother the traitor trying to have him killed?

He’s the Good Son, so he would never betray us. It says so in his title.

You can’t betray someone if you were never loyal to begin with. And how old were Ram and Not-Ram when their father died?

UPDATE

Part 08 - Keep That Combo Going

Probably my favorite episode so far. There’s a lot of plot and pop culture references.

By the commentators or the video game?

UPDATE:

Part 09 - Short Jokes

Remember the prologue level? We’re back there now. We get to blow up more shit than last time, though.