Four Ninjas vs Classicly Trained Stage Actors - Let's Play Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon

This is only the second game localized in the US. Don’t worry, nothing would make any more sense if you had played the earlier ones.

A peaceful day in Oedo Town is interrupted by the arrival by a strange ship shaped like a giant peach. As soon as it arrives, it fires a strange beam at Oedo Castle, turning it into a European stage. Will anybody do anything to save the day? Sure, but the only people bothering at the moment are local weirdo ninjas Goemon and Ebisumaru. Together, they will make an effort to get to the bottom of this strange attack.

This is Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon! The Ganbare Goemon series was a bit of a stranger to the US, probably because it’s a comedy series that nobody thought an audience overseas would appreciate. But in any case, their first N64 game was released internationally, and this localization isn’t the type to try and Americanize everything. The result is a mildly-Zelda-ish N64 game with an odd sense of humor. Which, if you’re like me, is perfect. The world of Goemon is strange, cozy, and unique. There aren’t a lot of games like this out there, and you probably wouldn’t find any like it outside of indie spaces. Oh, and the gameplay isn’t half bad either.

Spoiler policy: please don’t. If you know what happens, don’t give anything away for people who are new to this. It’s an experience.

Episodes

1 Like

I only played this game once when I was a kid and rented it. Had no idea what I was doing. So it’ll be nice to see where this goes.

1 Like

After a bit of exploration, Goemon and Ebisumaru have arrived at Oedo Castle! But it’s been turned into a strange, European-style castle by the Peach UFO, and now it’s a hassle to get through. But if our heroes want to save the day, get through it they must. Even if there is a menacing robot planted right in the middle of the building.