Etrian Odyssey V: It's not a phase, Mom, my real name is Thunderclap Fencer

I can’t believe Atlus memed everyone in the most terrifying way possible.

Reading through the class write-ups:

Is the Warlock’s Alter as crazy strong as it sounds? Say you pair it maybe with a Chain Fencer, hit the enemy’s weakness a bunch of times in the three turns it’s set up with chains and multistrike elemental spells, then use a multistrike Alter–that should do a stupid amount of damage with a pretty good chance to petrify on top of it, right?

You can’t use any of the Incantations with Alter, but aside from that, yes, it’s as crazily broken as it sounds.

I should note, by the way, that Fetus discovered something about the Master of the Six Ways skills: the ones that inflict disables use a variation on the infliction formula which includes the user’s INT as a factor for infliction. I don’t think this factor is reduced by enemy stats at all–which means that the base chance for Alter is actually kinda underselling it (petrify resistances nonwithstanding).

Damn, that really sells a Warlock when I eventually get to play EOV, then. (I choose to be optimistic about a localization!)

The description in the class writeup implies that Multistrike and Compression work with Alter, but if they don’t, that’s probably okay or it’s just going to be way too insanely broken.

I’ve never done a chaser/link/etc. party before but it seems pretty attractive in this, though the limitations on what can trigger a Fencer’s chain attacks are kind of unfortunate–it seems tough to pair a Chain Fencer with a Cestus or Dragoon, for example, because you’d have to stick to normal attacks with a Shaman buff to trigger chains (or use less-attractive skills for volt or fire damage, respectively), and even a Hound’s strongest attacks are cut instead of stab. There’s always four-swords Masurao but I’m always hesitant to use builds that require me to forego armor, and also fencers are cool.

From what I could tell, the Warlock’s INT is compared to the enemy’s INT. Not WIS for some odd reason.

I’ve never done a chaser/link/etc. party before but it seems pretty attractive in this, though the limitations on what can trigger a Fencer’s chain attacks are kind of unfortunate–it seems tough to pair a Chain Fencer with a Cestus or Dragoon, for example, because you’d have to stick to normal attacks with a Shaman buff to trigger chains (or use less-attractive skills for volt or fire damage, respectively), and even a Hound’s strongest attacks are cut instead of stab. There’s always four-swords Masurao but I’m always hesitant to use builds that require me to forego armor, and also fencers are cool.

Fencers are okayish on their own. They’re not terrible, but to really get some mileage out of them, you pretty much have to build the party around them. It’s not like EO4 where you could stick a Lansknecht into any party that has access to multi-hit attacks and call it a day. On the other hand, they’re fine without a dedicated party as long as you have some way to trigger chains.

Update 29. Atlus varying up the teleporting gimmick? Color me surprised.

Update 30. I admire Thaddeus’s determination but not his decision making.

Update 31. That thing looks like it came out of 7th Dragon, really.

Oh, yeah, speaking of “that thing…”

Crystal Dragon voting is open. Go read the update, then read this, then vote.

Huh. It does look like a high/imperial dragon.

Current results:

[quote]Sasha: 10
Kaelin: 9
Iseria: 6
Dosen: 5
Magda: 5

Raven: 3
Mio: 3
Cecil: 3
Jana: 2
Gram: 2
Heaven’s Wrath Mio: 1
Alexis: 1
[/quote]

It has just occurred to me that I should probably mention how the hell you actually vote, as I’ve never done it here before!

Just make a post with your votes. That’s it. I then add whatever you listed in the post into a tally.

There’s one incoming vote but it’s being held up in the mod queue so voting is closed.

[quote]Sasha: 12
Kaelin: 11
Iseria: 8
Dosen: 5
Magda: 5

Mio: 4
Cecil: 4
Raven: 3
Jana: 2
Gram: 2
Heaven’s Wrath Mio: 1
Alexis: 1
[/quote]

I hope you like another Chain party.

Update 32. We continue the card games, but we also have beloved characters from both a previous EO game and a previous LP. Also there’s a boss fight somewhere.

Update 33. I almost made a joke about Raven and Mio as Battler and Beatrice or something, and then I remembered the weird shit that goes on in Chiru and thought better of it.

Update 34. Insert some joke about John Romero here.

I love that this game not only embraces the evil squirrel meme but also brings it back in regular form just for old time’s sake. Gotta admire that kinda sadism.

Hi uh the next update’s not ready yet but

http://atlus.com/test-slider-approval-page-qwerty54658798/

EO5’s hitting the US this Fall!

Update 35. Art and translation are basically the same thing.

I want to ask something… What is a Devastating Fistfighter meant to use when Giant Killer isn’t available? Raijinken is the next best option in raw damage (barring weird variable power skills like Back from the Dead), but your description calling it “recoil” damage makes me think it’s like Curse and will kill you, so that’s right out. The next one is Kishinken, which is just about half what Giant Killer does, plus lowers your health a bit more which may help put you in GK territory again, but then you called it “low damage” and “boring”. This may have been answered during the LP, but I’ve been avoiding much more than the first few episodes to avoid significant spoilers, but I’ve been voraciously consuming the mechanics posts and this has been eating at me.

(Side note: Does Give It Everything’s HP consumption apply before or after the action you take? If it’s before, that makes Giant Killer so much easier to use…)

GiE’s HP consumption applies after the action, I’m fairly certain.

I’ve got no answers for the Fistfighter questions because I’ve never used one!

In addition:

Update 36. I wonder what a Needle-Sparrow’s cry actually sounds like.