Don't Lick That, You Don't Know Where It's Been! Let's Play Yoshi's Story

Goonies :3: Everything has such cute names. I used to love the wooden rolling thing as a kid. this whole thread is so nostalgic.

Yoshi’s Story references a lot of other Mario games but it seems like a lot of the original weirder character designs that gave it so much charm have been abandoned. I remember when the GBA was announced they hinted there would be some sort of Yoshi Story port with a screenshot of such a game but it never happened because I guess history decided this game wasn’t worth it.

That was a tech demo included with the GBA’s SDK. Apparently nobody knows if they intended to make it a full game or if that was its only purpose. More details here.

2 Likes

Ooh, thank you. This is some good supper mario broth shit right here.

Update!

The Yoshi’s venture into the Jungle where the music is strange and Big Bertha is now called: “Blurp”

Part 7: Jungle Levels 1&2!

2 Likes

Ah, the Jungle. I remember dying repeatedly in some of these levels because I constantly overestimated how far Yoshi can jump, sinking into a pit or getting murdered by a fish in the process. I wonder how the Toadies recover a Yoshi who got chomped?

I don’t know if you forgot to mention it or if it’s a detail that slipped beneath your radar, but Yoshi can actually sneak past the beehives if you walk by them. (I forget if you have to be in “sniff” mode to do it though)

1 Like

Update!

We finish off the latter half of the Jungle which is full of flying Piranha Plants that chew you up and spit you out, Neurons, and a sudden realisation of why I disliked this world so much

Part 8: Jungle Levels 3&4!

1 Like

Oh god the Piranha Plant level scared the shit out of me as a kid and I’d always like psyche myself up into playing it and I never beat it.

On the other side, the level with the weird “Neurons” things was my favorite level in the game I played it all the time. I just loved those weird things as a kid they’re so weird and cute. I really wonder what was up when they designed those things

Update!

We head to The Ocean and witness something incredible: Swimming levels from a late 90s platformer that aren’t awful!

Part 9: Ocean Levels 1&2!

1 Like

So hey gang, guess what I dredged up? That’s right, it’s a special import review of the game from way back in 1998, when it was released in Japan! This is from N64 Magazine, which was my go-to Nintendo mag as a small, and then not-so-small, kid. I’m only sharing a few pages, because spoilers, but please enjoy this trip down nostalgia lane with me:

And the review itself (in part):
1: Click here for the full 3068x1848 image (giant collapsible face)
2: Click here for the full 1536x1850 image (Oi Marvin, what’s going on?)
3: Click here for the full 1536x1852 image They do a full page for each world like this!
Final score: Click here for the full 1536x1852 image

1 Like

Oh man the snorkel fish was another thing that scares me tons as a kid. Yoshi’s Story has some really great cute designs that are also very creepy to children

Yeah, a lot of that era of CGI and pre-rendered sprites really tapdances in and out of the “scare small children” category.

1 Like

Update!

We finish off the last of the Ocean levels which strangely take place on dry land but there is a pirate ship so that makes it OK

Part 10: Ocean Levels 3&4!

1 Like

I think Lakitu’s cloud is sort of a combination car and pants.

1 Like

Update!

This video shows that I have the capacity to be a Speed Runner but also that neither of us remember how many SNES games used Mode 7

Part 11: Finale Levels 1&2!

1 Like

Update!

And so our journey comes to a close as we take on Baby Bowser and bring peace to all Yoshi’s but not before Gertrude unleashes the Pun Eggstravaganza

Part 12: Finale Levels 3&4!

1 Like

A cute and good ending to a cute and good game.

Unfortunately, I need to ask you for something very painful, dex. What the heck was that alvin and the chipmunks pun at the end? I couldn’t make it out in the video, but it apparently hurt you badly.

This one was a fun trip down memory lane! I remember always renting this one from BlockBuster back in the day. Pretty sure I never beat it though!

As an aside, I actually was kinda hoping you would cover DK 64 at some point as I’ve never been able to find an LP of that game that I like, and I enjoy your LPs of previous Rare titles.

The final pun was ALBUMEN and the Chipmunks: The Game. The bonus content was submitted by Magmananimous who is some kind of word criminal.

Thank you folks so much for watching, and for putting up with my first-time jitters! I won’t be accompanying Dex on their next gameventure, but there might be some special supplemental content at some point, so keep your eyes peeled~

I can’t wait for your upcoming LP of The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Pages.

I finished watching and loved the punning again…You are missing one important video - the highlight real of all the puns - It wouldn’t be a Dex Let’s play without it. I have to start getting around to finishing Yooka-Laylee before you start them videos. (I finished the first go around World 1…There are things which I can see I need upgrades from later levels from to complete.)