Digital Paintings/Animations by ShadowZiggy

Some of my art from my Artstation and some recent stuff.

Along with animations

This one I just started.

3 Likes

Animations that Iā€™ll be continuing to update.

Redoing this animation from 12fps to 24fps

For context:

3 Likes

Update!

2 Likes

Update!

2 Likes

An update with Mei from Overwatch!

2 Likes

Your use of lighting and rendering in these illustrations are really fascinating!! You have a knack for animation timing as well, which is pretty impressive! I would suggest that maybe when you animate (and illustrate, in some cases), to draw out the basic gesture of the character or object that youā€™re depicting first, and then tack on the details later. Iā€™ve noticed that especially with your cat animation that while itā€™s really impressive to see the strong level of consistent detailing throughout the whole animation, the form and shape can ultimately be lostā€¦ Itā€™s a thing I struggle with daily as well, and itā€™s the worst to fix when youā€™ve already drawn it in such pristine detail!! While itā€™s important to make a drawing look polished, itā€™s also important in the long run (for the sake of faster improvement) to tackle the base anatomical structure and to make it strong and sturdy. I guess as a metaphor, its like trying to build a building. Youā€™d want to start with the foundation of it before setting up the window panes and stuff, right? Something like that.

But otherwise!!! Iā€™ve been tracking your progress through Twitter for a long time now and I do see a lot of potential from your sensibilities. Iā€™d say in the near future, set yourself aside for a few minutes per day to study some anatomy. You wonā€™t ever regret putting down the time for it (I sure havenā€™t!!)

2 Likes

I really appreciate this post a lot. Yeah with the cat animation Iā€™m going back to at a later date with a fresh mind because due to some heavy irl stuff while working on it, I was ultimately burned out. In any other case there are times I would look at anatomy studies but then sometimes I wont do it for the next drawing and it doesnā€™t come out like it should. Just gotta not forget to keep looking at references when I need to. Thanks a lot again and I hope to see some more cool things from you soon!

2 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s very hard to build anatomy studies as a habitā€¦ Iā€™ve found it to be annoying to have to fish out for specific anatomy reference to tackle illustrations, because while thereā€™s certainly the unlimited possibilities of finding one through google or internet-means, it takes FOREVER to get one that has decent enough lighting to see how the form worksā€¦ Stuff like that.

An easier way Iā€™ve been doing for years is to buy anatomy books (NOT the medical ones, those are very daunting and they can lead you to delve more into detail-oriented mindset instead of foundation-oriented mindset). Look for anatomy books that are drawn by artists. There are a TON to choose from that show spectacular solidity of form and gesture; Bridgeman, Henry Yan, etc. Just search on Amazon and pick a book that you find the artistā€™s style very approachable to you (a lot of people recommend Bridgeman for some reason but to me, I found his book more daunting to tackle than, say, Vilppu)

Anyway, find a book that you wouldnā€™t mind looking through every day for the next few months. Open a random page with a drawing that looks easy for you to parse, open your sketchbook beside it, and copy it. Trace it. Study it. Compare it to another pose on the next page over. Study the differences of weight distribution, of where the artist decided to leave out details and just define something with a simple stroke, see what you can apply to your own drawings from that studyā€¦ Just learn why and how this pose works as it is. Eventually though, youā€™ll want to start going into details, you can probably get a book that has an artist draw much more detailed figure drawings and learn from those pretty much the same way. But regardless, the thing here is that getting a general good sense of foundation takes a long time because you can only study one drawing at a time.

Of course, this method doesnā€™t work for everybody, but I found it works best for me along with 15 sec, 30 sec and 1-2 minute gesture drawings. Iā€™ve managed to build strong foundation much more quickly that way.

1 Like

I do have an old anatomy book from my art college when me and my class mate buddies did life drawing classes. I just canā€™t seem to find it. I donā€™t know what happened to it, it just kind of vanished. If I could just fish that out at some point Iā€™ll look through it again.

1 Like

Update.

Based on a tweet from Rysticx and I was like ā€œOkā€

4 Likes

Animation update WIP

More roughed out

1 Like

The sliding figure is me IRL.

Haha, Iā€™m gonna use that sliding portion to indicate the speed of the background animation to come later.
Here Iā€™m just gonna focus on the kick portion for a bit.

added more frames at the end so she didnā€™t land stiff like

Without the rough lines

1 Like

Experimenting.

GET SUPLEXED!

Edit: Caught a small mistake but Iā€™ll fix it soon.

3 Likes

Added more frames at the beginning to give it more sense of weight.

3 Likes

Two sketches

2 Likes

Random Lapis Lazuli

Will do more clean up later

3 Likes

Updates

Mostly cleaned up here.

I think Iā€™ll leave this alone for a while but here is Bea from Night in the Woods

3 Likes