Contrarian's Catharsis: The Bad Video Game Opinion Thread

Assassin’s Creed 3 was one of my favourites.

2 Likes

My niece loved Yuri in Vesperia and I kinda did too. Like, finally the protagonist in an anime who is well aware that some dude is being a fucker doesn’t just sit back and go, “Oh dear” and let them fuck around, they do something about it. So rad.

She thought Yuri was a girl and kinda saw herself in Yuri and was like, “This game unintentionally taught me a bit about lesbianism.” And I couldn’t help myself, I replied “yuri taught me a lot about lesbianism too.” And she didn’t get it for awhile.

Ha ha. That’s my Tales of Vesperia story.

I don’t like Borderlands. At all. Any of the games. Just don’t. Hate farming for guns, hate the whole thing. Storyline seems great but farming is a chore. Yuck no.

2 Likes
  • Smash Bros. Melee is just… OK. I prefer the Wii U version, which is weird, since I used to LOVE Melee. I’m not sure what changed!
    (Are video game consoles covered under this topic? If so:)
  • I do not regret buying a Switch at all, and I’m both saddened by all the negativity surrounding it online, and happy at how well it’s sold so far.
1 Like

What’s the negativity stuff for the switch?

Like all I hear currently is “My god Zelda is good”

since theres a new Zelda out, I can peddle my Bad & Wrong Zelda Opinion here: Zelda games are only accepted as good because of a reputation they built up when we* were children and had nothing better to compare them to. new Zelda games are really mediocre action games with little depth, bad writing and loaded with really bad and in some cases blatantly racist legacy stuff, that are sold on hype alone and wouldn’t hold up to their competition if they didn’t have the Zelda name on them and people’s baseless goodwill towards Nintendo firmly in place.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of noise being made about hardware issues.

There’s a lot of people claiming that it’ll be bad because there’s not a lot of games for it at launch (like all consoles), or that the multiplayer service will be bad (even though the only questionable part of that so far is the fact that “a free game” is better than “a 1 month trial of a random VC game”, and we don’t know shit about that). Apparently some people are complaining that it doesn’t know whether it wants to be a console or a handheld, which isn’t a thing??? I also saw some people saying that because Binding of Issac was delayed last minute it meant that the switch was hard to program for which lmfao.

Now on to Bad Opinions: Ocarina of time is the worst Zelda, Adventure of Link is one of the best. Fight me, nerds.

Borderlands has nuggets of good writing buried in ten tons of tedious garbage. Grindy quests, mindless plugging at bullet sponge enemies, and endless amount of pointless randomised loot.

Honestly, nothing turns me off a game quicker than huge amounts of loot with randomised stats. By definition 99% of the time it’s just going to be utter garbage, but you still have to pick it all up and look at it just in case it turns out to be good. If I wanted to spend ages managing abstract data of little meaningful benefit I’d just stay late at work. I really enjoyed Darksiders, and the second game was ruined for me by having stupid randomised item stats. (Conversely, it’s a sign of how good Nioh is that I can still enjoy it despite all that rubbish.)

2 Likes

I used to believe I could tolerate any kind of gameplay, no matter how shit, so long as the story was rewarding. Borderlands proved me wrong. I just couldn’t. I got to a point where the enemies were too tough for the gun I loved, spent seven hours farming for a gun to fight them with, never got a drop I liked. I quit. That is bullshit.

In Dark Souls once you find a weapon you like (Axes) you can upgrade it to keep pace with enemy scaling. You don’t have to stop and fucking farm for a new weapon and… ugh.

It’s a shame because I’ve seen a video of Torque’s dialog and gameplay during that and it looks fun as hell but I’m not giving Borderlands another chance to rob me of my life.

1 Like

Personally whenever there is a point in a RPG/Action RPG game where I feel the need to grind (and there are no sidequests or alternate paths or levels to go through) I just stop playing right there. I haven’t had it happen very often, but if didn’t get bored of Borderlands an hour in the point where I’d need to grind would be where I’d stop. I guess this isn’t really a bad opinion though is it? I guess I’ll just say Shin Megami Tensei games are bad and call it a fitting post.

Both Ocarina of Time AND Majora’s Mask are incredibly overrated; the handholding & controls were incredibly frustrating. The patience your child-self had from the inability to afford more than one $60 game in 2000 forced you to find all the good you can.

Breath of the Wild is incredibly refreshing because it does away with all of those shackles of any prior 3D Zelda game.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t know if this game is popular or not but Final Fantasy Type-0 may be the worst game I’ve ever played. It has almost all of the XIIX trilogies problems with none of their very few strengths. It was just a very boring, very friendly game.

As for likes Alpha Protocol, the Spy RPG by Obsidian, is a pretty fun if broken game.

Also the Secret World is pretty rad too.

1 Like

I tried to get into Type-0 but between the walls of nonsense exposition that are everything I hate about JRPGs and the fact that the one character I enjoyed using had animations that deliberately flashed her panties I wanted nothing to do with the game after a few hours of play.

1 Like

I could talk for hours about exactly why I hate Type-0, but I think I can sum it down to the fact that after 90 minutes of playing this game, I had NO idea who the ‘good guys’ were, NO idea who on my team I was supposed to empathize and relate to (because they had 12 shitty characters instead of a few solid ones), no idea what the overall drama and issue with the story was, and only a tangential understanding of the combat system because it keeps jumping between characters.

My philosophy is that if you can go a movie’s length into a game and still not understand anything, the game is a bad game. They shifted tones far too often (bloody chocobo war times 2 minutes after flirty schooltime upskirt cutscenes), threw WAY too many names/characters/places/concepts at you expecting you to know it and just…couldn’t make it interesting.

Contrast that to FF7, within two hours of the game you know that SHINRA = BAD, AVALANCHE = GOOD (or at least, relate-able), and you know concepts like MIDGAR, SLUMS, MATERIA, TURKS because that’s all the game has you access for the first few hours. Once you’ve accepted and are familiar with the new concepts and terms of this world the game opens up into an FF that looks familiar, and only then does it really start hammering the meat of the story with Sephiroth, the Ancients, Jenovah, Lifestream, etc

1 Like

The thing that pissed me off about the characters having no personality and the whole everybody forgets dead people thing is that they did that on purpose. It wasn’t like an accident of the writing or something no, they deliberately killed any and all emotional stakes this game could have potentially had.

2 Likes

It kind of says something that the best games in the Borderlands series were the ones not made by Gearbox (Pre-Sequel & Tales).

The thing is that a concept like that could have been good, but they don’t really do anything at all to explore its implications. A better game would’ve delved into how horrifying it is that these people are made to be one-note killing machines with any chance at human connection, empathy, or grief removed from them, but Type-0 doesn’t even come close to doing that.

If there’s one thing I hate more than a bad idea, it’s squandering a good one.

1 Like

I do not understand the appeal of Square JRPGs. I tried playing several Final Fantasy games, and none of them stuck with me at all. The Active Time battle system in each game confuses me to no end, since it doesn’t follow the “turn-based RPG” structure, thus making each fight chaotic and I never feel like I actually participated in anything. Whatever plot I could garner I found generic and uninteresting (IV, VI), or outright frustrating to sit through (X).

Kingdom Hearts is a different beast entirely. The gameplay is fun, sure, but the awful writing and plot is always at the forefront of each game, making it unbearable to play at the end of the day.

I think the only traditional Square RPG I liked was Bravely Default, mostly due to the Brave system actually adding some variety to battles, but also allowing the encounter rate to be customizable. Plot was okay too, from what I played.

My opinion is that FF7 is a good game hampered by limitations of the time, so if the remake is done well it can be a great game.

Square’s best RPG series is the SaGa series.