Colors Flying High - Let's Play Persona 5 Royal

Click Here for Update 96

timrodresized: It’s time. Immediately after this fight, we will finally have Lucifer. Shido is going to be a joke even without him, but with him…

Skull: “You!?”

Oracle: “Why’s he here!?”

Crow: “Hmph… I’m impressed that you managed to deceive me. It seems I underestimated your abilities. You truly are interesting… quiet, yet possessing the courage and determination to take action.”

Crow: “Under different circumstances, we could have been great rivals… or perhaps even friends.”

timrodresized: This scene was mostly unchanged from the base game, but the writers for Royal misunderstood the relationship between Joker and Akechi - I’m guessing this was on purpose due to Akechi consistently winning popularity polls in Japan, particularly among shippers.

timrodresized: We’ll talk about that a little later.

Crow: “You don’t allow yourself to be enslaved by such things as human relations or past selves… and so, your heart is always free. The exact opposite of mine. To be honest, I’m envious… I wonder why we couldn’t have met a few years earlier, Akira…”

Panther: “Akechi…”

Crow: “But… it’s no use talking in hypotheticals. That didn’t happen in reality…”

Queen: “Don’t you see what this Palace looks like!? His true nature is-”

timrodresized: By the way, almost all of the shots in this scene either pan in one direction or zoom in, and I actually sat here for a few minutes just to see if it would eventually do something stupid. It doesn’t. This is about as far as it goes.

Crow: “Cooperating…? What are you talking about? I don’t care for Shido, or this country.”

timrodresized: Remember when I said I hate Akechi because he’s a ripoff of Reiji from Persona 1? This is why. He’s got the exact same background, the exact same motive, the only difference is that he’s a friendless loser and Reiji isn’t. No really, that’s the entire reason we’re going to beat Akechi. I’m not joking.

Fox: “Shido is your father!?”

Crow: “Remember I said before, how my mother had been in a relationship with some good-for-nothing man? So I’m his bastard child. My very existence is nothing but a scandal…”

Crow: “My mother’s life turned for the worst after she had me… and died. I was a cursed child for her too.”

timrodresized: This shot zooms in, and I wanted to see how far it’d go. The answer is this far - it’ll zoom in just a bit more and then snap back out to here to keep the illusion that it’s still going.

Crow: “I resented him, but he was already a high-ranking official by then. A kid like me could do nothing. But… that’s when it happened!”

timrodresized: Akechi is fucking loving this shit. Also, I don’t think there’s ever been a time where the portrait reflects what the model is doing less than this particular shot.

timrodresized: Man’s just having a time.

Skull: “You son of a…”

Crow: “Who cares? My targets were all doing the same damn thing in this eat or be eaten world. All I did was remove their evil from society. How is that any different than the Phantom Thieves?”

Panther: “We’re not murderers!”

Crow: “So what!? Masayoshi Shido is finally within my grasp! Once he reaches the apex of his power and acknowledges me, I’m going to whisper in his ear… I will tell him the truth of who I really am!”

Crow: “And that’s when I - an utter disgrace to the world - will rule over him. I will prevail!”

Fox: “What a warped thought… it’s almost pitiable.”

Crow: “In just a few weeks, my plan would have come to fruition… but no, you just had to interfere! I can still take it back though. I’ll just need to kill you all.”

timrodresized: I don’t even get what his plan was. He was going to tell Shido that he’s his illegitimate son… and then what? Why would he not just do what he did to Okumura and sneak in to kill Shido’s shadow after the party takes him down?

Morgana: “Hmph, we won’t get killed for something like that. You talk big, but you’re really nothing more than a little kid throwing a temper tantrum!”

Crow: “Don’t lecture me, you piece of shit… I am going to personally thrust Masayoshi Shido into a living hell. So, Joker… rest easy and die.”

Crow: “…Yes. I’ll do it better than you could ever imagine. That is, once I get rid of you.”

timrodresized: If Akechi had been like this for the entire game, I’d have liked him a lot more.

Skull: “You sure sound confident, but don’t go pressin’ your luck. We already know all your tricks from back when you were workin’ with us.”

Crow: “Joker… how could you be so successful while having such an idiot as your partner?”

Skull: “Huh!? Quit bluffin’!”

Queen: "It’s no bluff. If he truly is behind the mental shutdowns, he’s likely only shown us a fraction of his strength.

Crow: chuckle “I’ll tell you all about my true power… while you die. You can take that knowledge with you to the grave.”

Crow: “The mental shutdowns aren’t the only incidents people are talking about.”

Crow: “Those cannot be explained unless the true culprit has the power to make people’s hearts psychotic… snicker That’s right! It’s my power - one that you don’t have!”

timrodresized: I think this is something that mattered more in an earlier draft of the script, where there was an actual difference between the ‘mental shutdowns’ and ‘psychotic breakdowns’. In the final script for the base game they’re essentially the same thing.

Oracle: “He’s gonna try something…!”

Crow: “Allow me to show you!”

timrodresized: This doesn’t do anything, it just makes the Cu Chulainn and Cerberus black and red.

timrodresized: This fight was also unchanged from the base game, and I feel like they could’ve done something really interesting with it. Maybe you’d have two separate fights - one with the party against the super-shadows while Joker has a duel with Akechi and kicks his ass again. But they didn’t.

timrodresized: Annoyingly, both of these enemies have the same weaknesses as their regular variety, but the game won’t show you the information for them.

timrodresized: Oh. Turns out there’s a reason for that… kind of. In the base game, the Cerberus has no weaknesses. They nerfed that in Royal and gave him back his weakness to ice. There’s a bug in the launch version of Royal where if you take down Cu Chulainn first and then knock down Cerberus and finish him off with an All-Out, it skips the next phase of the boss.

timrodresized: Ann nearly takes out the Cu Chulainn in a single hit.

timrodresized: The Cerberus gets a single attack in, and it hurts - this is with Haru having the best physical protection she can have.

Oracle: “That power to make others turn psychotic… he used it on actual people…? This guy’s out of his mind!”

Crow: “Of course I didn’t expect you to be defeated by them. You have deceived me and escaped death, after all. I wouldn’t give up my chance to massacre you with my own two hands…!”

timrodresized: We’re already Concentrated for the most part, so I rush a Thermopylae and it’s go time.

timrodresized: Akechi has the same moves he did when we had him - Kougaon and Eigaon. Joker has Big Mike, who repels Bless and nulls Curse. Speaking of which…

timrodresized: Two hits and Akechi’s dead. We’ve done more than just break the game - we’ve shattered it. I could go up to Hard or Merciless, but… why?

Morgana: “So he’s able to turn people psychotic… I thought it was some special thing like the Nav, but it seems to be his own Persona’s power.”

timrodresized: I think what I hate about this is that it’s too Shonen Jump battle manga. None of the other Persona games ever really got to that level.

Queen: “I can’t believe that the ability to control and drive others mad was born from within his heart…”

Panther: “Will you please stop!? You’re fighting the wrong people! We both hate the same guy! Why do we have to go against each other!?”

Queen: “Killing us won’t make you happy.”

Crow: “But… I…!”

Skull: “This ain’t about what Shido says! You’re your own person! You gotta know that!”

Crow: “Damn it…!”

Oracle: “You know… sometimes I think about that fake Medjed that you guys made up… that was the worst trap… but if not for that, I don’t think I’d be here right now. Uhhh, basically… it doesn’t matter where you start over!”

timrodresized: This? This is bad writing. Futaba should be fucking furious. This is the guy who killed her mother. Nobody made him do it, either - it’s clear he did it because he wanted to.

timrodresized: This should have been like the moment with Namatame in Persona 4 where the party is urging you to fucking kill him. Futaba should be asking Joker to hand her his pistol so she can kill him.

timrodresized: That’s one of the things I don’t get about this game. They’re trying their hardest to make it be a shonen battle manga while forgetting that people die violently in shonen battle manga all the fucking time. Hell, Tatsuya Sudou fucking incinerated a kid in Innocent Sin.

Morgana: “And… you don’t really hate Joker, do you? That smile before we fought… isn’t that how you really feel?”

Crow: “…!?”

Morgana: “Follow your true feelings! Even if you think people hate you or don’t want you around, that’s-”

Crow: “Teammates!? Friends!? To hell with that! Why am I inferior to you!? I was extremely particular about my life, my grades, my public image, so someone would want me around! I am an ace detective… a celebrity!”

timrodresized: It’s because Joker has THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP and a giant anime nakama that is completely and utterly unrealistic. I went to high school. No one had shit like that.

Noir: “Akechi-kun…”

Crow: “But you… you’re just some criminal trash living in an attic! So, how… how does someone like you have things I don’t!? How can such a worthless piece of trash be more special than me!?”

Crow: “This argument is meaningless!”

Queen: “What was that!?”

Fox: “A black mask!”

timrodresized: There’s around ten shots of flashback, I’m going to cut it down to three.

Morgana: “Then, what Kaneshiro said before…”

timrodresized: The thing is, I don’t get why any of this is surprising. It’s not like Akechi couldn’t bring a second outfit with a black mask that he puts on when he’s going on murder runs.

SMARTGIRL “So… you were behind the mental shutdowns after all…”

timrodresized: NO FUCKING SHIT! HE JUST FUCKING SAID HE WAS!

Crow: “Oh, this is great… I’m surprised… this is actually a first for me. I might even have to try my hardest against you. You know… I just came up with a fun little idea… I wonder how far I can go with this…”

Queen: “Fun?”

Crow: “You’re not satisfied with where we left it either, are you? Isn’t this what you really wanted? You and I are going to strike and strike again until one of us is dead! To hell with holding back!”

Crow: “Ah… just picturing it sends chills down my spine. What Shido thinks of me? Haha! I don’t give a shit… all I care about now is killing you… to prove I’m better than you!”

timrodresized: Akechi’s in the wrong anime. No, really, we’ll see in a second.

timrodresized: If I wanted to re-caption this, it would read “I just shit my pants, Joker! And now I’m gonna shit yours!”

timrodresized: Loki? Really. Loki’s the best you can do? He’s a fucking third-stringer in Persona 1 and never really gets better. Seriously, I don’t think there’s a single game Loki has been in where he’s not a jobber.

timrodresized: Whoever did the animation for this was probably drunk. That’s about the only reason I can think of as to why Akechi’s such a fucking dumbass.

timrodresized: Remember when I said Akechi’s weakness is that he’s a friendless loser? Akechi is canonically a wild card - it’s just that he only has two Personas because he has no friends.

timrodresized: Uh, he’s a hitman and a serial killer. I think he’s already psychotic.

timrodresized: If you’ve read Berserk, Akechi’s new outfit is going to look remarkably familiar. That’s because he’s wearing Guts’s berserker armor.

timrodresized: I agree with that statement because I have played team-based multiplayer games before.

timrodresized: While we charge up, Akechi uses Tetrakarn on himself. This renders Yusuke useless for the rest of the fight, as he can’t physically attack without killing himself.

timrodresized: This version of Akechi has a lot more HP, and if we weren’t as bullshit overpowered as we are I’d probably have dropped a Soma to get everyone back up.

timrodresized: If you think this is no damage, just wait until you see Shido. I’m not kidding when I say that at one point he uses Diamond Dust on Joker and does exactly 16 damage.

timrodresized: At this point, we’ve skipped a phase. What’s supposed to happen is that Akechi goes into a phase where he uses Makarakarn on himself and starts unleashing Eigaon… and Maragion. He’s still using second-tier spells and this is one of the final bosses in the base game.

timrodresized: If you have Yusuke, you want to get rid of him at that point because if Maragion hits, Akechi responds by using Desperation on himself and at that point things can get kinda iffy.

timrodresized: However, we’ve nuked him down so much in one turn that he’s moved right into his third and final phase. In this phase, he’ll waste a turn staring at Joker and then use Laevateinn, a single-target Almighty skill that can hit really hard if he’s got Desperation.

timrodresized: And he’s fucked. RIP Akechi, never got past his first phase. Oh right - he also has Megidolaon, which he’ll use if anyone has a reflect up. The thing is, Akechi’s magic stat is kind of a joke. He has 80 strength, higher than any of Joker’s broken Personas, but only 30 magic.

BlackMask: “…You’re so lucky. Lucky to be surrounded… by teammates who acknowledge you… and once Shido confesses his crimes, you’ll all be heroes.”

BlackMask: “As for me, people will find out my past deductions were just charade. My fame and trust will vanish.”

Morgana: “…I see. So you were turning people psychotic, then solving the cases yourself. And you did that by joining forces with Shido.”

timrodresized: God fucking dammit! Fuck! Fucking fuck! WE ALREADY FUCKING KNOW THIS! IT’S BEEN STATED AND RESTATED A THOUSAND GODDAMN TIMES! SHUT THE FUCK UP!

BlackMask: “In the end… I couldn’t be special…”

Skull: “Dude, you’re more than special…”

Queen: “It pains me to admit… but your wit and strength far exceeds ours. We only defeated you by teaming up… I was honestly… envious of your natural ability. It was frustrating to see how much my sister trusted you…”

timrodresized: I’d do a second take of this where I kill Akechi solo as Joker, but it would consist entirely of fusing something that can abuse reflects and abusing them.

Noir: “I have no intention of forgiving you for what you did to my father, but… I sympathize with you. I wholeheartedly understand wanting to get back at the adults who took from you…”

Fox: “But when you gained the power to fulfill that desire, you only used it for your own self-benefit.”

Oracle: “If you’ve got more than one Persona, maybe you actually have the same kinda power as Joker’s. But you trusted no one, so you only got two Personas: one for your lies, and one for your hate.”

Oracle: “Still, you thought that was enough, right? That part I totally get.”

Fox: “You excelled at everything over us… yet that was the one thing you lacked.”

BlackMask: “…”

Skull: “All right, let’s go back and get that callin’ card ready! We’re gonna take Shido down. What’re you gonna do?”

timrodresized: Why is it that everyone immediately wants to give Akechi a redemption arc when he has zero redeeming qualities?

Panther: “It’d be a problem if you kept getting in our way. Wanna come along and help us settle things?”

BlackMask: “… Are you all idiots? You should get rid of me… if you don’t want me getting in your way. …You are all truly beyond my comprehension.”

timrodresized: I mean, it’d be one thing if Akechi had some redeeming quality. Something like, say, “I had to kill those people because Shido had a gun to my head, literally and figuratively” or “I had to do it because otherwise, Shido would find (or make) another person with the same power and send them after me, and who knows what that person might do?”

timrodresized: Remember how I said the cognitive Akechi doesn’t exist? I was lying a little. He does, but only in this dungeon. There’s zero foreshadowing that he exists - at least that I know of.

Morgana: “That’s… Shido’s cognitive version of Akechi!”

timrodresized: How would that even be dangerous? He’s a shadow. There’s no way he can have a Persona, so why wouldn’t Akechi just light him on fire and be done with it?

BlackMask: "…!’

Akechi: “Captain Shido’s orders. He has no need for losers. Well… this just moves the plan up a little. He was going to get rid of you after the election anyway.”

BlackMask: “What!?”

Akechi: “Did you truly believe you’d be spared after all the murders you undertook? Don’t tell me… were you actually feeling good about having someone rely on you for once? Oh by the way, the captain says it’s time you receive retribution for causing the mental shutdowns.”

timrodresized: You uh, just said that.

Skull: “What the hell, man!? That bastard’s the one who put him up to it!”

BlackMask: “I see… I was wondering how he’d protect himself if I used my power to tear through his Palace. Turns out you’re how. So he’s making a puppet kill me… sounds like something he’d do.”

timrodresized: Yep, that’s typical Shido for you, has a bunch of hitmen ready to kill each other just in case one turns on him.

Akechi: “That’s right. I’ll do anything. But look at yourself… you’re the true puppet.”

BlackMask: “…!”

timrodresized: I feel like the direction given to the artist here was “Just draw Light Yagami having an orgasm”.

Akechi: “You’ve been nothing but a puppet from the very beginning!”

Skull: “You little…”

Queen: “So this… is how Shido thinks of Goro Akechi? It’s… it’s too horrible!”

Noir: “It’s still not too late! We can change his heart together! Even if he’s your father… no, BECAUSE he’s your father!”

timrodresized: I don’t know what this even is. What the fuck is that facial expression?

Akechi: “You know what? I’ll let someone volunteer to take his place. Who knows, you might delay his death.”

Skull: “Damn you…”

Akechi: “You guys are all about doing things for others, aren’t you? Oh, that’s just the same as me. I’m going to take all the blame for our captain. I’ll die for him too.”

Queen: “This is what Shido thinks of Akechi-kun, even after making him help with the murders!?”

Akechi: “Here, I’ll give you one last chance. Shoot them.”

BlackMask: “…Don’t misunderstand. You’re the one who’s going to disappear!”

timrodresized: Akechi quickly turns and shoots the fake Akechi.

timrodresized: You know what would have been a super shonen thing to do? Have the party jump into save Akechi, and then immediately after the fight Joker kills him.

timrodresized: It’s a watertight bulkhead door. Didn’t you hear the announcement?

Skull: “Akechi!”

BlackMask: “Hurry up and go.”

Fox: “You fool! Are you trying to get yourself killed!?”

BlackMask: “The real fools… are you guys. You should have just abandoned me here a long time ago. You would have all perished… if you had tried to face these with me weighing you down…”

Queen: “Akechi-kun!”

BlackMask: “Let’s make a deal, okay? You won’t say no, will you?”

Fox: “Why at a time like this!?”

BlackMask: “Change Shido’s heart… in my stead. End his crimes… please!”

timrodresized: This choice was changed for Royal. My guess is it only changes if you maxed Akechi’s confidant and picked the right options.

timrodresized: Akechi does not get The Path Is Open because he sucks.

timrodresized: We now have the final component for Lucifer. We will be fusing him as soon as this cutscene is over, so I’ll save Metatron for then too. I wound up making two Metatrons: one for fusion into Lucifer and a second to be the best Bless Persona with the highest magic stat of any of the Personas we have.

timrodresized: Why would he not have just immediately mag-dumped his gun into the shadow?

timrodresized: Two gunshots ring out at nearly the same time.

Panther: “No…”

Morgana: “Come on, you guys! We can’t let a rotten criminal like Shido do what he wants any longer! We can’t… no matter what!”

Skull: “Akechi…”

Queen: “…We should get going.”

Noir: “He entrusted us with an important task, after all…”

Morgana: “Let’s go, Joker.”

timrodresized: I wanted to leave right now to go fuse, but the game will not fucking let you.

Oracle: “It looks like we’ve come out on the side deck. We should be able to secure a route from here.”

Skull: “Welp, let’s head over and get to usin’ those letters then.”

Oracle: “Open sesame!”

Queen: “Yes.”

Skull: “The hell is that!?”

Oracle: “It’s pretty rockin’!”

Noir: “So this… is the main assembly hall?”

Queen: “P-Probably. Daruma are often used as symbols of election luck, plus everything else in here seems real…”

Fox: “Odd… there isn’t a single person in here. It sounded as though there was quite the crowd inside when we heard voices through the door.”

Panther: “But given how it looks, this has to be the root of the distortion.”

Morgana: “Yes. I’m picking up on the Treasure’s presence as well. There’s no doubt this place is where it’ll appear.”

timrodresized: It’s time to fuse. This will be our second to last time in the Velvet Room.

New Persona: Dominion

Origin: Judeo-Christianity

First Appearance: Shin Megami Tensei II

Angels who watch over nations.

timrodresized: Wait a second… isn’t that just Yusuke in a robe with some hair extensions? He must keep the scarf afloat with his boyfriend powers. Either that, or a shitload of hidden wire.

New Persona: Metatron

Origin: Abrahamic Mythology

The voice of the Judeo-Christian God. Has a million eyes, a million mouths and 36 wings. Appears largely in ancient Jewish texts, in which he is an entity (not an angel) who has a higher status than that of Michael. Supposedly the twin brother of Sandalphon. Some branches of Gnosticism claim that Metatron is the same thing as the Holy Spirit. Does not appear in the Bible.

timrodresized: This is the Metatron I made specifically to fuse into Lucifer. The one we wind up using as a Persona has Bless Boost and Bless Amp and replaces Arms Master with Spell Master.

timrodresized: Metatron fuses into one of Joker’s two ultimate guns. This one does less damage than the one we’re actually going to use, but it’s better if you plan on fusing and using Yoshitsune later. And now, please welcome…

New Persona: Lucifer

Origin: Judeo-Christianity

First Appearance: Megami Tensei I

Former highest-ranked archangel who rebelled against the Judeo-Christian God. Not the same entity as Satan - Lucifer is likely based on a Babylonian myth involving a celestial being who tries to overthrow the Babylonian pantheon but is cast into the underworld.

timrodresized: Lucifer is MASSIVELY improved over how he was in the base game. In fact, let me show you my base game Lucifer.

timrodresized: In the base game, Lucifer had no resistances and a weakness to Bless. In Royal, he’s fucking invincible, especially with Firm Stance. His job isn’t to do damage - without Almighty Boost and Almighty Amp his damage will be middling at best - his job is to be a wall.

timrodresized: Here’s his signature move, Morning Star. It doesn’t do much damage, but Joker can spam it all day.

timrodresized: Lucifer itemizes into the Tyrant Pistol, which is Joker’s best gun provided he’s using magic-based Personas. 15 magic is a huge stat boost, bringing a couple of our Personas up to around 80.

timrodresized: Off-screen, I also fused another Odin using Metatron and Gabriel. This Odin has Firm Stance and Spell Master, making him the best electric Persona in the game.

Morgana: “Akechi saved us all in the end. I think in his heart, he might not have been so bad… Hey, Akira. Let’s succeed on this mission, no matter what.”

timrodresized: We get a massage from Kawakami… so we can do an optional event with her. Strangely, I didn’t get the optional event I thought I would - this may be because I skipped one early on.

Kawakami: “I’ll let you decide where to go. I guess you can consider that our first assignment. If there’s anything I can help you with today, I’d be glad to come over. So, what do you think?”

Kawakami: “The art museum in Ueno, huh? Sounds like it could be educational. I hope it’s not closed yet. Let’s go check it out.”

timrodresized: Okay, so what I’d like you to keep in mind is that Akechi has died. Is Joker grieving? No. He cares so little that he’s going to an art museum with Kawakami. This is how it was in the base game.

Kawakami: “I wanted to teach you things like that. This is an extracurricular lesson to enhance your education. Eheh… or something. It’s more like a thanks for helping me make up my mind.”

Kawakami: “I’m going to start acting like an honest teacher again.”

Kawakami: “Ooh, I feel like I never hear you talk like that. It would be really easy to teach you if you were always this compliant. giggle I realized that I love being a teacher.”

timrodresized: When is Joker ever not compliant in class? I mean, I guess this could be one of those things like in Strikers when Morgana reveals that Joker hates crepes out of nowhere.

Kawakami: “It’s really rewarding, you know? Especially the moments when you realize how a student’s grown… and also thinking about your future… okay, let’s resume our lesson! If there’s anything you don’t understand, please ask me!”

Kawakami: “…Wait, no! I take that back! Just ask me simple questions, okay? Please?”

timrodresized: What you are about to see is a scene that was added for Royal. This is where we’re going to find out about how the writers for Royal understand Joker and Akechi in a very different way than Hashino did.

Joker: “I wonder what happened to Akechi… after we heard the gunshot on the other side of the shutters, Futaba said there were no readings left… does this mean we’ll never meet again…?”

timrodresized: There are two distinct gunshots.

timrodresized: Remember how I said there were those two options in Akechi’s Rank 7 and Rank 8 that were permafucks if you didn’t pick them? This is a third permafuck. You want to pick the bottom option.

Joker: “I do still have that promise with Akechi to duel again someday… I know Akechi would especially hate having it end with his defeat… still, there’s nothing I can do now.”

timrodresized: In the base game, Akech is confirmed dead. Joker never thinks about him again, and I don’t think he ever comes up in conversation outside of Shido’s boss fight. Joker could not give less of a shit about Akechi or his death.

timrodresized: Now I need to talk about that OVA. Right before Royal released in Japan, the anime studio behind the Persona 5 anime put out a promotional OVA called Proof of Justice.

timrodresized: Proof of Justice is a 17-minute OVA (with about 5 minutes of that runtime taken by the OP and ED) that is mostly an advertisement for Royal. Let’s take a brief look, shall we?

timrodresized: The OVA opens with this shot. I showed this to Salty Vanilla, and their response was “What did they to do Yusuke!? What did they do to my boy!?”

timrodresized: I told Salty Vanilla that they’re more qualified to be an anime director than whoever directed this, and I meant it.

timrodresized: Anyway, this shot takes place roughly when they’re sending the calling card to Shido, which happens tomorrow in-game.

timrodresized: Joker pours a coffee for Akechi, who is working on a crossword puzzle. Note that nothing is on model because the animators this SUCK. Even in the close-ups they can’t get shit right.

timrodresized: I’m pretty sure this is the last night we meet Akechi in Leblanc, right before Sae’s palace.

timrodresized: That night, Joker takes the crossword magazine into his room and starts looking at it because all he can think about is Akechi. This, despite the fact that in the actual game he does not give a single fuck.

timrodresized: Crosswords in Japanese must be a nightmare to do. Do you count the “extended sound” character after the “bi” as a second “bi”, or is it that the one going down would have to have an “extended sound” in it even if it’s not a “bi”?

timrodresized: Oh, but what’s this? Akechi wrote “Proof of Justice” for no fucking reason! Clearly, this is a mystery that only a 13-minute OVA could solve.

timrodresized: This disturbs Joker so much that he cannot sleep. It’s pretty clear that whoever authorized this did so knowing the massive Joker/Akechi shipping fanbase that continually bumps Akechi to first place in popularity polls (even over the playable characters) is very much a thing.

timrodresized: Joker spends the night going around Tokyo (making sure to stop at Kichijoji, the darts place, and the jazz club where he has flashbacks to Akechi’s confidant) before he finds his answer.

timrodresized: The answer is that “Proof of Justice” is written on the box that had Akechi’s toy laser pistol in it. I am not fucking kidding when I say that in the OVA, Joker fucking breaks down and starts crying.

timrodresized: Then he has a flashback to Akechi’s death, which… I suppose if you hadn’t played the base game and were watching this it spoiled Akechi being the killer and his death.

timrodresized: Then he sees a poorly-drawn anime kid whose dad bought him one of the laser pistols, and for some reason has a flashback to Akechi as a kid even though he never knew Akechi that young.

timrodresized: It’s like the writers forgot that Akechi is a serial killer and were like “It’s okay because he’s pretty!”

timrodresized: Oh, and then it ends with Joker going back to bed and being an insomniac because of Akechi. The final shot…

timrodresized: Is Joker trying to finish an unfinished game of chess that Akechi left behind. Fuck this shit.

timrodresized: So why am I showing you this? Because it’s canon. This is how Royal’s writers re-interpreted Akechi. This is what they’re going to use to justify a plot point in the expansion content… and that plot point is why I hate Akechi. We’ll talk about that more when we get there. It’s not far away.

Ann: “Having Shido as your dad? The thought makes me sick… could you really stand having a dad that has destroyed people’s lives for his own benefit? What would happen to this country if someone like that became the prime minister?”

Ann: “…We can’t let him win, no matter what. There is no way we’re going to let you have your way, Shido!”

Yusuke: “It would be pointless to send it to the Diet Building.”

Makoto: “And even if we handed it over to different media sources, who knows how it would be treated… the worst case scenario would be giving it to the police under the table.”

Haru: “What shall we do then?”

Ann: “We just said that’s not gonna work.”

Haru: “Um, Futaba-chan?”

timrodresized: This name is based on an actual tool used by Anonymous called Low Orbit Ion Cannon, which was used to crowdsource DDoS attacks.

Ryuji: “Huh?”

Futaba: “It’s good to go. Look. Now, if I do this…”

timrodresized: Oh no, a command prompt! Hide the Linux, the cops are gonna be here any second!

Ryuji: “You shoulda told us you were plannin’ something!”

Futaba: “To trick your enemies, you first gotta trick your allies.”

timrodresized: Futaba is then isekai’d on the spot into Ni no Kuni 2.

Yusuke: “How stylish.”

Ann: “It’s kickass!”

Haru: “This should work nicely…”

Ryuji: “All right! It’s time for people to start comin’ to their senses!”

timrodresized: If I remember right, the TV lines weren’t subtitled in the base game in this scene either.

timrodresized: I thought the thing on the TV in the back was Eikichi. It’s not, but it’s definitely got that same aesthetic as Innocent Sin.

timrodresized: I feel like they got a completely separate animation studio for this one shot, because it looks nothing like the usual P5 anime. It’s surprisingly on-model.

timrodresized: I think the anime studio forgot the whole “cameras don’t work in the metaverse” bit. Actually, this shot being there doesn’t make a whole lot of sense if you think about it.

timrodresized: The only person who knew what the party looked like in their thief outfits was Akechi, and he’s dead. Shido doesn’t know what they look like because he’s never been to the metaverse.

timrodresized: This part is narrated by Joker’s VA.

timrodresized: It’s almost like John Persona… is some kind of stand-alone complex! Actually, nah. Stand Alone Complex had better writing.

Shido: “And what about Akechi!? Where did that useless brat go!? He must have run away knowing he failed! Bring him here when you find him! Got that!?”

Sae: “Phantom thief? Body?”

Sae: “Um, I really don’t know what you’re speaking of… oh, but that reminds me… I received a calling card from the Phantom Thieves… but everything from then on is a blur…”

Sae: “No… could I have done something wrong!? Then, I… I…”

timrodresized: I like to think that Sae isn’t doing this out of some dumbass shounen anime ‘sense of justice’ but instead because the tramp stamp is real and this is how she’s going to explain it away.

Sae: “What have I done?”

Sae: “Why me?”

Sae: “I’m sorry, I honestly don’t know what’s going on here…”

timrodresized: You know what I don’t get? Why they needed that scene right before this one. They’re both repeating the same information that we already know.

Sae: “Is illness really what killed him? Do you think his death was truly due to illness!?”

Sae: “…Very well. It’s all up to you now, everyone.”

timrodresized: I think of all of these scenes, this one is the only one that really works.

Sojiro: “Who the hell’re you?”

Sojiro: “Oh, you mean those guys they’ve been talking about on TV?”

timrodresized: How would they know that Sojiro knows that Joker is a phantom thief?

Sojiro: “This is obstruction of business, you know.”

Sojiro: “Is this the only way you do things?”

Sojiro: “If you’re not a customer, I’m gonna have to ask you to leave.”

Sojiro: “Justice isn’t on your side.”

timrodresized: Was there some kind of betting pool in the writer’s room as to how many cutscenes they could cram into the game?

Shido: “It is nothing more than a wicked terrorist act, aimed at obstructing the elections. What we need now is a powerful, unyielding leader. I am willing to risk my life to fight them.”

Shido: “I speak now to those who call themselves the Phantom Thieves. Your actions are gravely serious crimes. You are rebelling against the laws of this country and unnecessarily causing alarm among its citizens.”

Shido: “I call on you to surrender yourselves at once and apologize to the people of this proud nation.”

timrodresized: I like to think that last line is actually directed at Hashino.

Ryuji: “That bastard Shido’s tryin’ to act all calm, but he’s prolly freakin’ out on the inside.”

Yusuke: " ‘Apologize’? Quite the funny joke."

Haru: “Who is the real criminal here?”

timrodresized: The real criminal is Sega for allowing Atlus to do a full-price re-release without fixing the script.

Yusuke: “Our calling card has had a tremendous effect.”

Futaba: “I’m real proud of that one!”

Ryuji: “All they’re doin’ is makin’ noise though…”

timrodresized: The people in the back are chanting “Shi-do! Shi-do!”

Ann: “Seriously. They should just go home and get some sleep…”

timrodresized: I stopped playing SMT Imagine because it sucks, but one of the lines you can get if you fail to negotiate with a beast-type demon (which happens all the time because the default negotiation success rate is 1% please buy our microtransaction master balls that auto-capture demons) is “GO HOME AND SLEEP”.

Makoto: “Even after what happened, not many people want to see Shido have a change of heart. What we’re about to do is just… right?”

Morgana: “That’s right. Have we ever acted outside of the scope of justice?”

timrodresized: I mean, if you believe the part about the party going after Okumura to get famous, then technically yes.

Makoto: “You have a point.”

Morgana: “Hey, look over there.”

Ohya: “This has me excited as well. snicker That boy really keeps the news rolling in.”

Morgana: “She doesn’t notice we’re here… right? That keen journalist nose is a force to be reckoned with. Whoa! Why’s Mishima here!? Man, that kid’s impressive…”

timrodresized: I have no idea if there’s a rank requirement to get these little scenes with the confidants, but it doesn’t matter because we’re maxed anyway.

Mishima: “The Phantom Thieves are just. I guarantee it.”

Ryuji: “Heh… now that’s what I like to hear.”

Morgana: “There may not be many of them, but we have to cherish our fans. Let’s go change Shido’s heart!”

timrodresized: It might seem weird that Iwai, Yoshida and Hifumi are all so close. They were actually going to put a scene in Royal to explain that. It was (mercifully) cut before release.

timrodresized: I wish we could bring Shinya with us, but when you see how hard we break Shido you’ll understand why he couldn’t come.

Fox: “What did you do to Akechi!? He… he was your own son!”

Shido: “Hmph, I had a feeling it was something like that. He reminded me too much of that woman. I also have an idea as to why he approached me. He was hoping to trap me, was he not?”"

Shido: “He was sharp, but in the end he was just a kid. I controlled him merely by offering praise. I intended to dispose of him as soon as I became prime minister.”

Skull: “What!?”

Shido: “I could never keep someone with such intimate knowledge of my past alive. What an ‘ace’ detective. He was standing beside me all this time, yet couldn’t see through my plans. His destroying himself saved me quite a bit of effort though.”

Panther: “How could you…!?”

Oracle: “You stole my mom’s research… and took her life!”

Noir: “Everything you’ve done has been for your own selfish gains! You even killed my father! I will never forgive you!”

timrodresized: I would do the Princess Bride thing here but that movie is super overrated.

Shido: “Sacrifices are inevitable in the path of reform. I only require that the foolish entrust themselves to their superiors. I shall guide them.”

Skull: “The hell makes you think you’re so much better than everyone else!?”

Panther: “You never would have been able to make it this far without Akechi’s help!”

timrodresized: I mean, he apparently had connections to a yakuza hit squad. It’s not like he couldn’t have just used them instead.

Shido: “He only appeared because of the expectations God held for me. Moreover, it was thanks to me that Akechi was able to properly use his power to begin with. The ‘changing of hearts’ that you’ve been doing… was nothing more than provoking the public.”

Fox: “How selfish! You were unable to win by honest means, so you used foul tricks to ascend the political ladder!”

timrodresized: Yusuke, we already know that.

Queen: “A cruel person like you has no right to stand leading the citizens of this country. You’re nothing but a criminal who rose above others by climbing a staircase of sin.”

Shido: “The life of the nation as opposed to those of a few sacrifices… there can be no comparison. The ignorant masses only care about their own personal happiness. I am merely granting that for them. That is the social reform that only I, as the one chosen by God, can enact!”

timrodresized: This whole speech feels like a budget version of the Messians in SMT 1.

Noir: “I can’t believe you look down on everyone else so harshly…”

Panther: “I’d never accept a leader who makes a teenager murder people! You say it’s for the country, but I bet it’s all for yourself. Nobody would wish for something like that!”

timrodresized: Ann, you can’t even vote.

Shido: “Nobody?”

timrodresized: There’s an animation of him walking from the second tier of the podium to the third tier, followed by an elevator noise. I’m not really sure what that’s supposed to add to this cutscene.

Shido: “Everyone denies the value of hard work these days. Instead, they seek to effortlessly gain wealth. That is why I must reestablish this mighty country. One that does not waver… one that others bow to.”

Skull: “Mighty, my ass! That’s just a crooked country made by a crook!”

Fox: “We cannot let you do this. You are a disgrace to Japan. Hence, we will take your deranged heart.”

Shido: “Hmph. Those who disobey me must be eliminated. However… considering the loss of Akechi, it would be a waste to kill those who are actually capable. I will allow you to choose between life or death one last time.”

Shido: “Devote your power to my social reform. I will give you anything you want, be it wealth or status.”

timrodresized: I get that he’s not being serious because he’s already revealed that he was going to kill Akechi himself and would do the same to the party, but still this is kinda dumb.

Morgana: “There’s no way we’d follow you!”

Panther: “No matter how many times you ask, our answer’s not gonna change!”

timrodresized: Couldn’t we have, I dunno, skipped right past the whole monologue and gone right to this?

timrodresized: I’m not sure what the kanji say.

timrodresized: Shido’s first form is a blatant ripoff of Char Aznable.

timrodresized: If I had come into this fight with an ideal party setup, I probably could’ve wiped Shido before he could enter any of his other phases.

Music Rivers in the Desert Instrumental

timrodresized: You see, what Shido doesn’t realize is that he’s just undammed a river that he is about to drown in.

timrodresized: The wiki tells me that this first phase is mostly about stealing Girimehkala’s gimmick: the “Beast of Human Sacrifice” repels Physical and Gun, and has Wage War to attempt to enrage the entire party. We will not be seeing that.

timrodresized: It also has a thing where it’ll cast Makarakarn on itself to force you to eat a magic attack (not that it would do shit) and can charge up an attack that’s basically Megidolaon but with a chance of inflicting rage.

timrodresized: So yeah, don’t bring Yusuke. This was an instant death.

timrodresized: You also don’t want to bother trying to buff, debuff, or cast reflects as he will simply remove them. But fuck that. We’re not constrained by game mechanics anymore.

timrodresized: That is over 1800 damage with Metatron using Kougaon on an enemy that is not weak to Bless. By lowering his HP under 50%, we’re going to skip his entire second phase.

timrodresized: The second phase is the “Wings of Human Sacrifice”. It resists magic across the board, but loses its physical and gun repels. This doesn’t matter, because we’ve already killed it. Before we can even act…

timrodresized: Meet the third form, the Tomb of Human Sacrifice. The wiki tells me it has two attacks: a single-target almighty attack…

timrodresized: And a charged Almighty spell that takes two turns to charge. We will not be seeing that.

timrodresized: We go through nearly 10,000 HP in six turns, three of which were spent charging and buffing. I also switched Yusuke out for Makoto.

timrodresized: This could’ve been done faster if I had switched Haru for Makoto and revived Yusuke so we had more sources of charged damage, but this is good enough.

Skull: “Once you’re losin’, you’re puttin’ all the blame on the masses, huh!?”

Panther: “A touching reunion, isn’t it?”

Fox: “The next time you crush a foe, I suggest you do it in a more certain manner.”

Oracle: “Not that there’ll be a next time for you!”

Queen: “You took him to court and yet you don’t remember? You truly don’t care about the fate of others.”

timrodresized: There’s a flashback here to the scene at the beginning of the game with Joker pushing Shido Shido falling completely on his own because we can’t have Joker being a bad boy that I’ll skip.

Skull: “What!?”

Noir: “Are you saying that the people you killed deserved to die!?”

Panther: “He’s totally insane…”

timrodresized: Oh look, it’s US Senator Stephen Armstrong. What’s he doing in Japan?

timrodresized: Actually, he looks more like a ripoff of Allen O’Neill from Metal Slug.

timrodresized: As soon as Shido reveals his true form, the battle music changes to one of the most memorable vocal themes in the game.

Music Rivers in the Desert

timrodresized: I have Haru blow a Bead Chain. We have several of them, and switching to Morgana is slow.

timrodresized: In this form, Shido has one major difference - he won’t remove buffs and debuffs. I have everyone start nuking while Joker gets ready to buff.

timrodresized: Shido uses Tyrant’s Purge, a new move for the Royal version of this fight. It’s a physical attack with a high chance of instant kill - but he CANNOT use this on Joker.

timrodresized: This change was made because in the base game, he had both Mudoon and Hamaon and could target Joker with both. I remember this hitting me in the base game and me being really pissed about it.

timrodresized: At 50% HP, Shido takes an extra turn to buff himself.

timrodresized: We respond by nuking him to death before he can do anything with it.

timrodresized: His head looks way too small for his body now.

timrodresized: We only took two turns to kill Shido’s first form, because we’re able to extend Thermopylae.

timrodresized: Shido’s final form has 5,800 HP and has access to all of the Ma-Dyne spells as well as a couple of strong physical attacks. He also has the ability to grant himself extra press turns - but he has to use these to do one specific attack.

timrodresized: Joker simply dodges with Ali Dance.

timrodresized: Shido can barely hurt Joker even without Lucifer active.

timrodresized: He uses Maragidyne again, but Futaba blocks it.

timrodresized: It’s not obvious, but we’ve actually broken the game so hard the seams are showing. In the base game, this hit would’ve killed him - except now we enter the new part of the fight added for Royal.

timrodresized: Shido has turned this fight into a duel, and in doing so has fucked up.

Shido: “I never would’ve imagined… that impertinent brat from so long ago, managing to get in my way this much! Honestly unbelievable… I should’ve finished you off before this could’ve happened… hahaha, it seems I was too naive.”

timrodresized: Shido looks like he’s either having an orgasm or shitting his pants, and I’m not sure which.

Shido: “My desire to steer this country has finally come to fruition! But, my ambition has only yet begun! I WILL NOT stumble over mere minutia like yourself!”

timrodresized: Our party is gone. It’s time to bring out Lucifer.

timrodresized: We’re going to keep spamming Morning Star until Shido dies. In the meantime…

timrodresized: He switches to fourth-tier spells. I’m pretty sure Shido’s stats get lowered for this part to account for the fact that you only have Joker, but that’s a grand total of 16 damage.

timrodresized: Tyrant’s Judgement bounces right back into Shido’s face for free damage. In hindsight, I probably could’ve won this part of the fight without doing anything.

timrodresized: He’ll alternate between the elements, but it doesn’t matter - nothing is going to do significant damage to Lucifer.

timrodresized: We still have a SHITLOAD of cutscene left, so I’ll stop the update here. Next time, we’ll do the rest of the cutscenes. We’ll then go through a bunch of optional confidant events before heading to Mementos. That run should be quick as I’ll only need to grind money.

timrodresized: From there, it’s on to the true final boss of the base game.

No Futaba that’s the wrong boyfriend if it’s a Toru Furuya character then stuff isn’t just for show.

I guess the moral is, if you don’t get a redemption story you should’ve tried being more pretty and more popular.

Update 97

Click Here for Update 97

obs64 2021-09-05 14-32-39-99

timrodresized: It’s because you’re the villain in a bad shonen battle anime. By the way, I went to record again and found out I made a fatal mistake.

timrodresized: Remember when we fused Lucifer? I forgot to register Michael, so I had to re-fuse him from scratch.

Queen: “For causing countless mental shutdowns in others, you will atone… with your life.”

Skull: “Don’tcha got something to say to our leader before you go passin’ out?”

Shido: “Yes… I acknowledge… that I incriminated you on false charges. I did it to protect myself… I’m so sorry for what I’ve done… it feels as though it’s been quite some time since I have felt sincerely apologetic.”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-33-23-24

Shido: “Hmph. That may be good… So, I’ve been defeated… haha… hahahaha…”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-33-43-56

obs64 2021-09-05 14-33-44-40

obs64 2021-09-05 14-33-47-10

Shido: “No… did they succeed? Hey!”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-33-56-56

obs64 2021-09-05 14-34-01-80

obs64 2021-09-05 14-34-04-03

obs64 2021-09-05 14-34-11-89

obs64 2021-09-05 14-34-16-90

obs64 2021-09-05 14-34-24-96

obs64 2021-09-05 14-34-31-40

timrodresized: Okay, so… wait. What you’re saying is that you can erase Shido’s palace by temporarily killing him - and you didn’t think to do this, I dunno, the moment the party sent the calling card?

timrodresized: I mean, he has Wakaba’s research and should know how the treasure works. All he’d have to do is die temporarily and then he’s immune to the calling card forever.

Shido: “Anything will do! Give it to me!”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-34-36-53

obs64 2021-09-05 14-34-39-13

obs64 2021-09-05 14-34-42-20

obs64 2021-09-05 14-34-46-93

obs64 2021-09-05 14-34-53-96

timrodresized: Doctor: “Uh, sir? The pills don’t work that quickly. I’m pretty sure you’re faking it. Sir?”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-34-59-50

obs64 2021-09-05 14-35-03-33

obs64 2021-09-05 14-35-05-06

timrodresized: Back when the fidget spinner thing was a fad, I bought one that looks a lot like that wheel. It was metal and cost me like $15. I gave it to a kid I used to read books to as part of a volunteer thing.

obs64 2021-09-05 14-35-16-16

Shido: “I must… steer this country! If I don’t, who will!?”

Fox: “What arrogance…”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-35-29-89

obs64 2021-09-05 14-35-31-50

obs64 2021-09-05 14-35-32-46

Skull: “What the…”

timrodresized: The palace starts exploding in the background.

Skull: “Huh!?”

Panther: “An explosion…?”

Queen: “But we haven’t taken the Treasure yet…”

Morgana: “We’ll talk later! Come on, let’s grab the Treasure and run!”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-35-57-06

Skull: “We can’t get through like-”

Fox: “What is happening!?”

Skull: “Hey, Navi!”

Oracle: “The ship is exploding… but why!?”

Skull: “What kinda sloppy explanation is that!?”

Oracle: “I don’t know what’s happening either!”

Morgana: “Something might’ve happened to Shido in the real world!”

Skull: “Whaddya mean ‘something’!?”

Morgana: “I don’t know!”

Panther: “Standing around here isn’t going to help!”

Noir: “We have to run!”

Queen: “Navi! Are there any other escape routes!?”

Oracle: “I’m looking, but…”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-36-39-40

obs64 2021-09-05 14-36-43-30

timrodresized: To be fair, the hallway only starts filling with water after she points at it, but this is still a SMART GIRL moment.

Noir: “No!”

Queen: “Our path!”

Fox: “Still, where else can we go!?”

timrodresized: Joker’s thinking “You know, this boat could explode right now and I’d take maybe 20 damage.”

Skull: “Crap, this side too!”

Panther: “Are we… sinking?”

Morgana: “We are not gonna die like this!”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-07-66

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-10-09

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-12-13

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-14-36

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-17-06

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-18-63

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-21-03

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-23-26

timrodresized: Joker: “It’s okay, I’m pretty sure in the event of an emergency, Lucifer is usable as a flotation device. Plus I have what, three different Personas who are canonically the size of the entire universe?”

timrodresized: For legal reasons, I have to remind you that the government has not cleared Lucifer as an emergency flotation device.

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-28-40

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-30-00

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-32-43

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-35-17

timrodresized: This scene is kinda dumb when you remember that canonically, Futaba rides around in her Persona and can fly.

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-42-53

timrodresized: Damn, that’s surprisingly on-model for these animators. This still feels like that moment at the end of Fallout 3 when you have party members who are immune to radiation who refuse to go into the water purifier for you.

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-45-23

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-48-29

timrodresized: This is Ann calling out, because that this point the animators have fully embraced the Ann/Ryuji ship.

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-50-77

timrodresized: No, Ryuji, the boss fight’s already over. That music stopped playing a full five minutes ago.

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-52-76

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-54-60

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-57-50

obs64 2021-09-05 14-37-59-70

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-02-53

timrodresized: Futaba probably could’ve detached the lifeboat already. I have to wonder though: why would Shido’s boat even have lifeboats on it if it’s basically the only livable surface area on the planet?

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-06-90

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-08-37

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-10-80

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-12-33

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-17-40

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-20-23

timrodresized: Ryuji makes a standing 20-foot vertical leap, because this is the magic brain realm.

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-22-50

timrodresized: For some reason, Futaba and Makoto are hugging in every single one of the next few shots, and I don’t know why. Also christ that is the most off-model I think Ann has been in any of the P5 anime.

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-26-64

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-29-43

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-33-23

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-35-23

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-42-99

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-48-10

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-50-46

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-53-23

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-55-33

timrodresized: Joker’s covering his eyes because he’s thinking “Wait, why is Yusuke manning the motor? I’m the Tatsuya in this relationship!”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-57-06

obs64 2021-09-05 14-38-59-23

obs64 2021-09-05 14-39-02-10

obs64 2021-09-05 14-39-05-10

timrodresized: That boat must’ve been made of recycled Ford Pintos or something.

obs64 2021-09-05 14-39-06-83

obs64 2021-09-05 14-39-14-13

obs64 2021-09-05 14-39-17-06

obs64 2021-09-05 14-39-21-03

obs64 2021-09-05 14-39-22-63

timrodresized: Well, shit. RIP Ryuji, killed because the animators forgot that Futaba can fly.

obs64 2021-09-05 14-39-31-17

Ann: “Ryuji!?”

Haru: “He didn’t… make it out…”

timrodresized: Come to think of it, it would’ve been cool if they had multiple versions of this scene depending on if you’re dating Ann or not.

Futaba: “We gotta go back!”

Morgana: “That’s impossible…”

Yusuke: “Ha…haha… this isn’t funny at all…”

Ann: “He was our fastest runner too!”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-39-55-77

obs64 2021-09-05 14-40-01-29

timrodresized: I looked it up, and apparently everyone involved in any aspect of Japan’s legal system (the legislators, prosecutors, attorneys) have their own badges.

timrodresized: Someday, the US government will recognize the sheer number of potential crimes against humanity I stopped by LPing YIIK and award me a medal like that.

timrodresized: Speaking of which, and I’m not going to test this myself, someone commented in one of the videos I put up of the pre-patch Golden Alpaca fight. Apparently, the new version of the fight takes even longer if you’re not on New Game Plus with maxed-out stats. I may go back and upload my save for that.

obs64 2021-09-05 14-40-21-53

obs64 2021-09-05 14-40-28-50

Haru: “Didn’t you… die?”

Ryuji: “What!? I got blasted out from the explosion… when I woke up, I was lyin’ on the grass… I mean, ain’t I alive?”

Ryuji: “What’s this? Your cryin’ face is so not cute.”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-40-56-56

obs64 2021-09-05 14-40-59-23

obs64 2021-09-05 14-41-00-53

Ryuji: “What’d I do?”

Haru: “We were worried about you!”

Futaba: “You troublemaker!”

Ryuji: “Wait, what’s this about? H-hold on… okay? C’mon, I-I… almost… k-kinda died! Uh, you guys are joking, right?”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-41-22-46

obs64 2021-09-05 14-41-24-03

timrodresized: This scene is dumb and feels like they ripped it out of a shitty harem manga.

Yusuke: “I’m feeling a bit hungry.”

Haru: “Why don’t we stop by somewhere before going home?”

Futaba: “Then, I want sauteed foie gras!”

Makoto: “We’re in reality right now, you know.”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-41-39-33

obs64 2021-09-05 14-41-42-56

obs64 2021-09-05 14-41-47-57

obs64 2021-09-05 14-41-50-93

Shido: “What have I…?”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-41-56-60

obs64 2021-09-05 14-42-00-10

Shido: “Medicine?”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-42-06-23

obs64 2021-09-05 14-42-09-90

Shido: “I-I… ngh…”

obs64 2021-09-05 14-42-24-73

timrodresized: Well, at least we know that it worked.

obs64 2021-09-05 14-42-26-37

obs64 2021-09-05 14-42-31-60

obs64 2021-09-05 14-42-33-56

obs64 2021-09-05 14-42-37-63

obs64 2021-09-05 14-42-40-66

obs64 2021-09-05 14-42-44-46

obs64 2021-09-05 14-42-47-33

obs64 2021-09-05 14-42-52-33

obs64 2021-09-05 14-42-55-06

obs64 2021-09-05 14-42-57-73

obs64 2021-09-05 14-43-01-80

obs64 2021-09-05 14-43-08-69

obs64 2021-09-05 14-43-16-04

obs64 2021-09-05 14-43-18-20

obs64 2021-09-05 14-43-23-23

obs64 2021-09-05 14-43-25-66

Morgana: “Don’t tell me…”

Futaba: “I’m gonna get angry if you don’t come out! Sojiro… ah… sob

obs64 2021-09-05 14-43-47-03

timrodresized: Fuck this. You know what would’ve been infinitely better? If they had a scene like the one in Persona 4 where they find Sojiro in the hospital - alive, but with the shit beaten out of him.

timrodresized: It would accomplish largely the same thing that Nanako’s kidnapping did in 4: showing that the events outside have now finally reached Joker’s home, and his life will never be the same.

Futaba: “You’re the same as Ryuji!”

Sojiro: “What’re you talking about? I was taken to that asshole Shido’s place, but they suddenly told me I could go home. That’s thanks to his change of heart, right?”

timrodresized: Why didn’t they kill him? They had no problem killing pretty much everyone else, no matter what their actual degree of involvement was.

obs64 2021-09-05 14-44-04-49

Sojiro: “Thought as much. They had me blindfolded the whole time, so I’ve got no idea where they took me… though it sounded like they were oddly bustling about.”

Morgana: “Looks like it’s going well.”

Sojiro: “But man, my handsome mug was nearly ruined. That’s all fine and dandy… but they really did a number on this place. Sorry to bother you two when you’re tired, but I need you to help me clean up.”

Morgana: “We just have to wait like usual now.”

timrodresized: Wait. How do they know Shido isn’t dead? They saw his shadow die.

obs64 2021-09-05 14-44-51-13

obs64 2021-09-05 14-44-59-30

obs64 2021-09-05 14-45-09-66

Morgana: “All right. We should act as normal as we can while we’re waiting too.”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-02-58-67

timrodresized: We call Kawakami, then I make a quick trip to sell all the junk. I find it amusing that you can increase the gun made from Lucifer to 666 attack power.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-03-26-27

obs64 2021-09-10 22-06-40-47

timrodresized: We go to introduce Clara to Lucifer. In a good game, you’d be able to recruit her for the final bits by introducing her to Lucifer. Her Persona would be censored and implied to be something so horrible even Lucifer can’t imagine it.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-06-53-24

Joker: “Oh my god, I had a horrible fucking nightmare. I was in the maid cafe, and I saw some shit. Shit no human was meant to see.”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-07-00-97

Justine: “The look on your face seems to be that of a man who has accomplished a great deed.”

Igor: “To think you would use the trap set against you to entrap them… I’ve never seen a dramatic resurgence such as that. Truly marvelous - those are the only words I can think of to describe you.”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-07-31-30

timrodresized: I picked this option because come The Last Day, it will take on a whole new meaning.

Igor: “We should be thanking you for entertaining us thus… you’ve even overcome a mysterious misfortune. There should be no one left to hinder your rehabilitation.”

Igor: “Your rehabilitation will be completed shortly. That is… if everything goes well, without any problems.”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-08-52-10

obs64 2021-09-10 22-08-54-03

timrodresized: Whose shoes are those? Those definitely aren’t Joker’s - he wears brown shoes. They’re also not Futaba’s… so whose are they? Seriously, I don’t know. This isn’t a plot point or anything.

Morgana: “Damn. How many times have I had this dream? Or… could it be that it’s not a dream at all? My memories aren’t any closer to coming back to me… but… might there be something I’m supposed to remember?”

Morgana: “If… If I’m really not human… and if the truth of that comes to pass down in the depths of Mementos, I… could it be that I’ll…”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-09-38-07

obs64 2021-09-10 22-09-45-67

obs64 2021-09-10 22-09-49-50

obs64 2021-09-10 22-09-59-77

obs64 2021-09-10 22-10-05-53

obs64 2021-09-10 22-10-12-17

timrodresized: This is the last Mementos request that was in the base game. Royal adds five more, two of which only unlock after we defeat the final boss of the expansion.

timrodresized: The final requests are completely pointless to do (other than providing mid and end bosses for the new area of Mementos in Royal) because they happen after The Last Day and none of them count towards Mishima’s confidant.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-10-21-17

obs64 2021-09-10 22-10-28-44

obs64 2021-09-10 22-10-51-14

obs64 2021-09-10 22-10-53-84

Morgana: “This guy’s definitely got Lady Ann more heated than usual. All right, Akira. Let’s make sure we change his heart!”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-11-03-97

obs64 2021-09-10 22-11-43-97

timrodresized: I also finally cash in this one lottery ticket I bought months ago specifically to get a cheevo.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-11-51-44

obs64 2021-09-10 22-13-39-47

timrodresized: We were supposed to have an event with Makoto today. Here’s a protip: NEVER PICK THE MIDDLE OR BOTTOM OPTIONS. They lead to generic scenes and not the optional ones we want.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-17-51-27

timrodresized: Instead, we’re going to take Makoto to Motomachi Chinatown.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-18-03-77

Makoto: “Hmm… we passed through a blue gate, so I suppose we’re in Chinatown now, right? There was something I wanted to try here… hm, what was it?”

timrodresized: SMART GIRL at work.

Makoto: “Pork buns? Sesame dumplings? No, that’s not it… sorry, it’s completely slipped my mind. It has shrimp and cabbage inside, and it’s wrapped in rice paper…”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-18-21-77

Makoto: “That’s it! I don’t know why I forgot the name. I know I can get them in Tokyo, but I might as well have an authentic Chinese one here… what’s wrong? You’re frowning.”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-18-43-70

timrodresized: Note that I’m only picking the middle option because it’s the “correct” one. Joker would absolutely pick the top option.

Makoto: “Oh, wait… aren’t spring rolls Vietnamese…? Sis would get mad at me if I made a mistake like this on an exam… then again… China and Vietnam are right next to each other. Maybe we’ll still be able to find some here…”

Makoto: “Why don’t we start looking? This is going to be fun. If we’re going to get lost, we might as well get lost completely. Come on, let’s start with that street over there!”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-19-12-04

obs64 2021-09-10 22-19-14-97

obs64 2021-09-10 22-19-20-07

obs64 2021-09-10 22-20-07-70

timrodresized: We’ll replace this soon.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-21-33-07

obs64 2021-09-10 22-21-35-30

timrodresized: I spend the night doing Star Forneus and finishing it off. You can see the shirt from Futaba in the background - it hangs off the work desk.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-22-08-44

obs64 2021-09-10 22-22-13-77

obs64 2021-09-10 22-22-15-40

obs64 2021-09-10 22-22-17-60

obs64 2021-09-10 22-22-19-13

obs64 2021-09-10 22-22-22-87

obs64 2021-09-10 22-22-32-37

Ushimaru: “Not that I asked for your opinion on the election. Well, no matter what the cause was, this election is heading in the right direction.”

Ann: “Before we knew it, Shido had everyone in the palm of his hand. Deceiving people so well that they don’t even realize it… just how influential is Shido?”

timrodresized: Why does Ann sound like she’s trying to narrate this like it’s an anime? Anyway, there’s another Persona 4 reference on TV.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-23-06-07

obs64 2021-09-10 22-23-09-47

obs64 2021-09-10 22-23-11-80

timrodresized: This is presumably a TV dramatized version of Persona 4 - the first two murders have the bodies wind up on a telephone pole and a TV antenna.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-24-06-47

timrodresized: Today’s another optional event with Yusuke. Have I mentioned the special Christmas Yusu-Gay we have coming up?

obs64 2021-09-10 22-24-17-47

timrodresized: We’re going to the planetarium with Yusuke to do what all couples do in a planetarium.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-24-34-74

Yusuke: “It’s the perfect way to prepare yourself before being fully immersed in your imagination. Ah, and so it begins.”

Yusuke: “A swath of vibrant stars suspended in a void of cold darkness… pure beauty ruled by the laws of space! I see… I had been truly blind!”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-24-52-50

Yusuke: “Yes! I’ve truly awoken to a greater inspiration! Space is where everything began, and so it is filled with near infinite possibilities… I may have said this before, but you provide wonderful stimulation, Akira.”

timrodresized: All Joker wanted to do is make out.

Yusuke: “It feels as though you have expanded the boundaries of my perception. Thank you for that. I ask that you continue introducing me to new experiences.”

Yusuke: “By the way, the couple over there seems to be giving us quite a cold gaze. Is it my fault? Or perhaps both of ours? Please, take this to commemorate today… My Space Memorial Day. Oh, what a wonderful day it is!”

timrodresized: Couple: “Why aren’t those gay kids making out? Don’t they know the planetarium rules?”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-25-22-94

timrodresized: Wait… star stickers?

obs64 2021-09-10 22-25-27-00

obs64 2021-09-10 22-25-52-44

obs64 2021-09-10 22-27-17-84

obs64 2021-09-10 22-27-21-87

obs64 2021-09-10 22-27-26-74

obs64 2021-09-10 22-29-08-10

obs64 2021-09-10 22-29-17-37

timrodresized: We finish Star Forneus and get the card for it.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-29-29-74

timrodresized: Today, we have an optional event with Ann at the hotel buffet in Shibuya.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-30-39-10

Ann: “This place has so much on their menu, it’s hard not to overeat… oh! How about this? Operation: Eat a Bit of Everything!”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-31-00-10

Ann: “Right? It’s quality over quantity! Honestly… it was crazy how much my stomach expanded last time. But I’ve reflected on my actions… and I won’t make the same mistake again!”

Ann: “But, Akira… can you keep an eye on me? I think as long as you do, my resolve won’t crumble. Well then, let’s get eating. The order you eat things seems important. Let’s start with the stuff that digests quickly…”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-31-30-74

Ann: “No wonder this place is expensive… I’m amazed they give out stuff like this! …I feel like I’d just eat from it nonstop if I kept it at my house… can you take it?”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-31-37-47

timrodresized: Oh boy, we’ve got a boyfriend lure! Everyone knows boyfriends cannot resist liquid chocolate.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-31-41-57

obs64 2021-09-10 22-32-06-84

obs64 2021-09-10 22-32-08-47

obs64 2021-09-10 22-32-09-90

timrodresized: We spend the night progressing in Punch-Out.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-34-38-77

timrodresized: We also set out the lure.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-32-43-50

obs64 2021-09-10 22-35-07-20

obs64 2021-09-10 22-35-11-97

obs64 2021-09-10 22-35-14-07

obs64 2021-09-10 22-35-15-73

obs64 2021-09-10 22-35-17-83

obs64 2021-09-10 22-35-22-24

Yusuke: “I’m astounded he was able to deceive this many people. Madarame was a shrewd con artist, but Shido is on an entirely different level. But, this charade will all come to a halt soon.”

Yusuke: “Once he unveils the truth, the good people of Tokyo will rally together against this tyrant. Until then… I must be patient.”

timrodresized: Today, we’re taking Ryuji to Nakano for an optional event.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-36-41-00

obs64 2021-09-10 22-36-52-00

Ryuji: “Then let’s play a fightin’ game. Loser buys our ramen!”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-36-58-70

obs64 2021-09-10 22-37-00-47

Ryuji: “Huh? What’s with the huge crowd over there? Ooh, maybe they’re filmin’ something. That could mean there’s a celebrity… oh, shit! Isn’t she a pretty popular actress? Daaamn, I’ve never seen her in real life.”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-37-22-77

timrodresized: We must follow the ways of Satomi Tadashi and be extremely thirsty for every female celebrity we come across.

Ryuji: “Hell yeah! I ain’t about to miss this!”

Ryuji: “Man, that place was packed. She’s damn popular, that’s for sure. Totally worth it, though. I think she even looked at me…”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-37-41-34

Ryuji: “…That’s harsh, man. Anyway, let’s get back to shoppin’.”

obs64 2021-09-10 22-37-50-80

obs64 2021-09-10 22-37-52-47

timrodresized: These are, of course, the Golden Age Featherman figures from before Red and Black got married.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-37-56-97

obs64 2021-09-10 22-38-15-30

obs64 2021-09-10 22-38-26-04

obs64 2021-09-10 22-38-29-97

obs64 2021-09-10 22-38-42-57

timrodresized: Today, we have the final Persona 4 reference on TV.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-38-58-67

obs64 2021-09-10 22-39-00-74

timrodresized: Yukiko, truly the best girl from Persona 4.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-39-05-90

timrodresized: Joker calls Makoto to let her know she can fuck off and then takes a road trip.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-40-47-47

obs64 2021-09-10 22-40-49-40

timrodresized: We finish Punch Out, and get the card for it.

obs64 2021-09-10 22-42-24-30

timrodresized: Next time, we’ll go to Mementos and win a boss fight with one button. We’ve still got some optional confidant events to do, but at this point we’re just over a week from The Last Day.

I think it’s because Loki is the villain in the original Megami Tensei novel. And because he’s a trickster, obviously. I actually thought and wrote that sentence before I realized that it’s because he’s a trickster like Akechi, but more importantly he’s a Trickster, like Akechi and Joker.

“No need to better yourself. You’re American - you’re number one! Then the only value left is dollar value. The economy. So we’ll do whatever it takes to keep it humming along! Even war. Especially war.”

I want to mention that I wrote this before I knew that Shido’s final form was to rip his shirt off and become super-buff.

It also looks rad af. Though I’m taking off points for the mane being a regular mane and not also being made of glued-together people.

Yes, once Shido surrenders, he will lose. I agree, Yusuke.

I enjoy how the even more anime than usual cutscene with everyone beating up Ryuji has Joker just chilling in the back not being involved at all. Very in character.

Summary

timrodresized: We’ve got a Mementos run today to finish up these last few requests and grind money to fuse the last couple of Personas we don’t yet have unlocked.

Panther: " ‘All women should be conquered,’ was it… we should be careful. We’ve got to change his heart no matter what!"

timrodresized: I did both of the bosses in this area with Joker alone, and I’m very glad I did because this particular fight is a Persona 1 bossfight. You’ll see what I mean.

timrodresized: By the way, you’re going to want to remove any female characters in your party if you do this yourself.

Panther: “Because that’s what you make them think!”

Panther: “Whoa… I just got chills. So that’s how you get girls wrapped around your finger?”

Skull: “So I guess you’re not all talk!”

timrodresized: This fight sucks. Arihara has 4,200 HP and resists Fire, Psychic, and Nuclear (as all of those correspond to a female party member). He doesn’t resist Bless, and it is possible to fight him with Kasumi.

timrodresized: The wiki doesn’t mention it, but I’m almost positive he also has Ali Dance, because his evasion rate is fucking insane.

timrodresized: He opens with Womanizing. This is a Charm spell that automatically hits all female party members. It goes through immunity and through evasion.

timrodresized: If he does manage to hit a party member with it, there’s a pretty good chance that Ann or Makoto will cast Diarahan or Mediarahan on him, healing him to full.

timrodresized: In a world where Atlus realized how good Persona 1 and Innocent Sin’s auto-battle systems were, I would have used that. Because we have Lucifer, I can hit the Rush button and go take a nap.

timrodresized: Arihara has two attacks, and both of them are Gun type. Lucifer nulls Gun. We could have made this faster by compendium summoning Arahabaki and killing him with reflects.

timrodresized: The game throws EXP at you at this stage of the game. We’re probably going to hit level 80 before we finish it.

Panther: “That’s right. Countless lives were ruined because of you. Please, wake them up from their dreams. Don’t let any more people become your puppets.”

timrodresized: The enemies in the second half of this area of Mementos get replaced once you finish Shido’s palace - the enemies from Sae’s palace move to the first half.

Noir: “He’s acting like he owns the place.”

Fox: “He’s a producer in the world of entertainment, destroying the dreams of young girls, right?”

Panther: “I can’t let this go! I’m going, even if you try to stop me!”

Skull: “No one’s gonna stop you, so calm down! Let’s go!”

Panther: “Yeah, right! Just what are you doing to these girls!?”

Queen: “Don’t be stupid. We’re the ones who’ll be managing you.”

Mara: Hey! This is character assassination!

timrodresized: This was where I realized I forgot to register Michael.

timrodresized: As a result, I have to blow almost half of Joker’s SP bar using Sraosha to cast Mafreidyne instead of ending this fight in three hits. How do I know it’s three hits? Well, I had to re-record.

timrodresized: With the party, this fake Mara is a joke.

Panther: “You’ve done whatever you wanted and caused a lot of damage. What do you plan to do about it now?”

Panther: “Sincerity? How!?”

timrodresized: And that’s it for this Mementos trip. I grab all the stamps and leave. We’ve gotten them all… in the base game. There’s more in the expansion content.

Morgana: “I’m glad to see Lady Ann’s happy. Her smile makes everything worthwhile…”

Morgana: “What - shut up! I can see it in my head, all right!?”

timrodresized: Joker immediately airhorns the cat.

Morgana: “Very nice, you got it right. I’m not sure how knowing that would help us, though.”

timrodresized: It’s doesn’t. You’d be doing it for the knowledge points, though if you’re still trying to get knowledge points this late into the game, something is very wrong.

timrodresized: The cheat for this game makes it completely trivial.

timrodresized: Today, we’re taking Yusuke to the shrine.

Yusuke: “Ah, I see! That is why religion has historically tended to be a central motif in the art world. Perhaps artists picked up on something out of the norm… now then, we should give an offering. Is there anything you want to wish for, Akira?”

timrodresized: This response is not canon to More Like Yusu-Gay, where Joker goes “The best boyfriend” and then hugs Yusuke right there.

timrodresized: I’m only posting this shot because I have no idea what the fuck kind of pose that’s supposed to be. It looks like Yusuke is trying to be an anime catboy. I guess that all-catboy stageplay adaptation of Hibike Euphonium really happened after all.

Yusuke: “I-I am somewhat… actually, I would wish for that as well. However… considering I call myself an artist, I should subsist solely on art. Reliance on a god… hm.”

Yusuke: “It sounds sublime, yet is in fact quite ordinary; it is sophistry disguised as prayer. That unbalance… this festering thing that exists in the depths of people’s hearts… hm… it may not actually be so bad.”

timrodresized: Technically, none of the Personas are actual demons, so even though Yusuke has Susano-O in his head he’s not relying on a god.

Yusuke: “That reminds me, Akira… even a one-yen offering is said to bring divine favors, yes? I would offer more for increased monetary luck, but even five yen is tough for me at the moment…”

timrodresized: I was curious as to whether Japan even issues 1-yen coins anymore, and the answer is yes. Just like with the penny in the United States, the Japanese mint loses money on each coin minted.

timrodresized: The reason they haven’t dropped it is because of Japan’s national sales tax. The tax causes prices to not divide evenly by 5 after tax, necessitating the 1-yen coin.

Yusuke: “Ah well. The gods will surely understand the dire situation of my wallet. You can have this, Akira. After all, what goes around comes around. One must spend money in order to gain money.”

timrodresized: I like how all of Yusuke’s decorations are ones that go in their own spaces that don’t have anything else in them. There’s one that isn’t - that’s the one we’ll see on The Last Day.

timrodresized: Not much going on here today, other than another optional event with Makoto.

Makoto: “Dome Town… I’ve heard of it, but this will actually be my first time going there. You can lead the way.”

timrodresized: If you’ll recall, we first went to Dome Town on the day of the TV station trip - this was just before the start of the Kaneshiro arc.

Makoto: “No matter if you’re a man or woman, young or old, coming here has to be supreme stress relief. I can understand why so many people choose to come now.”

Makoto: “Mm-hm, I agree. That’s the essential experience of coming here, so it’s a great start. Although, um… I’m actually a little nervous. Today, well… from other people’s perspective, this could be called a…date, could it not?”

timrodresized: None of the scenes where you pick somewhere to go have any prerequisites, as far as I know. Also no it’s not a date because you’re horribly boring.

Makoto: “…Never mind. Come on, let’s go have some fun.”

Makoto: “I can’t quite put it into words, but I think I understand the appeal of thrill rides now. I do wonder why anyone thought of making such scary attractions in the first place though… people sure are bizarre.”

Makoto: “Hm, they gave me this souvenir. I don’t really know much about baseball though, to be honest. Do you like the sport? Here, you can have it.”

timrodresized: This doll is a reference to the Yomiuri Giants, Japan’s first pro baseball team. Their home games are played at the Tokyo Dome - which is what Dome Town is modeled off.

Morgana: “…So tomorrow’s the day. Our job’s finished. All we can do now is sit back and watch.”

timrodresized: There’s also a new arcade prize in Akihabara. I thought we had the last one.

timrodresized: In SMT Imagine, Black Frost actually is a crane game prize of sorts. There’s a minigame called DESTINY which puts you in a big empty void full of demons with the goal of killing as many as you can.

timrodresized: Black Frost and King Frost are the bonus enemies, which put better items in the reward pool at the end.

timrodresized: Tonight, we’re going to the maid cafe again for a scene so horny that I’m surprised Clara does not melt down and become Pandora.

timrodresized: I like to think this would be an optional scene if you bring Mara to see her.

Mara: “Oh yeah! Gimme! Spread that love cream all over… wait, holy shit, what the fuck is THAT!?”

Mara: “I’m staring into the abyss and the abyss is staring back! This is goddamn horrifying! I’m a soul-eating giant penis demon and this is fucking horrifying!”

Mara: “It’s like that one doujin with the magical girl who femdoms evil with her giant dildo magical rod, only it’s alive and is trying to eat me!”

timrodresized: Joker attempts to sound the air horn. The air horn makes no sound. He reaches for his squirt gun, but it won’t fire into the overwhelming abyss of horny. Mara is already at the airport, desperately trying to secure a last-minute flight to New York.

Mara: “I’m never coming back! You can’t make me! No one should be here!”

-

timrodresized: It’s kinda funny how I’m posting this part right around the time that Japan is about to go into a new election cycle after Suga announced his resignation.

Shido: “That is why…”

Shido: “The one who controlled the hearts of others and gave rise to the countless victims… is myself. It was all for my own promotion… for my own selfish gain.”

Shido: “I’ve even used people’s lives as stepping stones in order to claim this country as my own ship. I am a true criminal that can be tried for any crime, and it still wouldn’t be enough!”

Shido: “I will confess everything! Please, I beg everyone to pass judgment on me… if I could atone for all I’ve done with my life, I request that I be judged at once…”

Sojiro: “Allow me to say a few words… now then…”

Futaba: “He’s started taking charge.”

Makoto: “Come now, don’t be that way.”

Sojiro: "If you’re gonna complain, say it to Shido. A legislator’s pin’s worth almost nothing. Well then, so, since the source of evil, Masayoshi Shido, has been-’

timrodresized: Run-on sentence. Five-yard penalty, repeat second down.

Futaba: “I got to avenge… my mom. It’s all… thanks… to everyone. Thank- sniff sob

Haru: “I was able to settle a debt in regard to my father as well.”

Makoto: “Shido’s guilty, right, Sis?”

Sae: “…It’ll be difficult to prosecute him immediately. But I’ll do this thoroughly until the causality between his other crimes can be proven. I believe Wakaba-san’s research results will save Japan.”

timrodresized: Translation: Sae is useless because adults are bad and we can’t have an adult doing anything useful. Goddamn shitty adults.

Ryuji: “We could testify too, you know.”

Sae: “Thank you, but I’ll be fine. I don’t want to add any more unwanted suspicions on any of you. It’s about time you let us adults prove that we can get our act together.”

Sojiro: “Hey, so what about this guy’s education?”

Sae: “I believe it’ll be fine for him to return to school. It’s true that your face will be recognized among those involved… but I doubt they’ll take a firm action like suddenly coming to arrest him.”

timrodresized: It’s funny because Strikers starts with the police sending a guy to arrest Joker.

Sae: “At least, they won’t do it until the uproar with your ‘suicide’ and Shido’s confession have died down. Eventually though, the situation where you and I will be used as scapegoats can’t be avoided…”

timrodresized: That’s the most basic “I just translated a manga for the first time” kind of sentence I’ve ever heard. Try “Eventually, they’re going to need a scapegoat.” The object is implied.

Sojiro: “…You mean in regard to faking his death. That wouldn’t have happened to begin with had the police done their job properly.”

timrodresized: Yes, Joker would not have had to fake his death if the police had actually killed him.

Sae: “Of course, I plan on doing everything I can. I will protect you all this time. Prosecuting Shido is that first step.”

Yusuke: “Hey… when are we going to make the toast?”

Sojiro: “Right. Let’s get to it! Uhh, today is truly-”

Sae: “Cheers.”

Sae: “Oh, one more thing. It’s fine to celebrate, but keep it in moderation, okay? Considering that Akira’s finally back, all of you need to take your education seriously again.”

timrodresized: In about three days, we’re going to prove that school is useless by getting the top rank in the exams despite not having been to school for almost a month by this point.

Morgana: “…I don’t really get it. What’s he going to ask? Well, let’s leave the popularity stuff to Mishima for now.”

timrodresized: If you reach Rank 10 with Yoshida, he gets re-elected to the Diet. This is actually a pretty big factor in the base game’s ending.

timrodresized: We can’t leave Leblanc, and I’ve kind of run out of stuff to do, so let’s watch a DVD.

timrodresized: I mean, that and stockpiling pain meds.

timrodresized: Sure, apart from the police trying to use Joker as a scapegoat and probably arresting him again.

Morgana: “We changed the heart of someone huge like the next prime minister. There’s no better finale than that. This may be the opportune time to end our deal. I’m sure you’ll be fine now. You can manage without me being with you.”

Morgana: “Heh… of course. Don’t worry. I won’t leave immediately. But if I just stay here, I won’t recall anything… I’m a bit envious of you. Here I am… still haven’t found anything about myself.”

Morgana: “If only I could find out what’s in the depths of Mementos… let’s go to sleep. You must be tired.”

timrodresized: This part is like 50 textboxes, and there’s no portraits for any of these characters, so I’ll just do it in text.

Psychiatrist: “We got where we are today because we had him take care of whoever got in our way… if a case is assembled against him, everything about us will be exposed too… what are we supposed to do?”

Shido-Leaning Legislator: “That’s precisely why we’ve gathered to discuss our options! Prosecutor Niijima is serious about taking Shido-san to court, right!?”

Psychiatrist: “Isn’t she under your command? You have to do something!”

Proxy SIU Director: “Yes, I’m aware… but even if we prevent her from doing so, what about the public? Shido-san’s conduct was shameful…”

Shido-Leaning Legislator: “We’ll just have to continue his policies for a ‘rich country’.”

Psychiatrist: “A… rich country?”

Proxy SIU Director: “You mean that plan of advancing foreign affairs by controlling people’s hearts?”

timrodresized: How exactly do they plan on doing that? Akechi is dead, and they don’t have anyone else who can use a Persona. Persona 1 taught us all what happens when someone without a Persona (or a COMP) goes up against a demon.

Shido-Leaning Legislator: “…After all, the research on it should be proceeding along. We’ll push that plan forward and continue eliminating any who get in our way by using that world… we’ll pledge to build a powerful country. We ourselves will meet the expectations we had of Shido-san.”

Psychiatrist: “A powerful country, huh? I see.”

Proxy SIU Director: “But even if we do pick up where he left off, would his other associates keep quiet about it?”

Psychiatrist: “We should be fine in that regard. Anyone who Shido-san aided would feel that their life is at stake after watching that conference… just as we are now…”

timrodresized: Why, though? I could understand that if the party had killed Shido, but they clearly didn’t.

Proxy SIU Director: “At any rate, it seems we must first stop that case from being assembled, no matter the cost.”

Shido-Leaning Legislator: “Thankfully, support for Shido-san still exists. Masayoshi Shido was a hero who fell before achieving his goals, and we will carry his torch… that’s what we’ll announce to the mass media.”

Psychiatrist: “…I see. Considering the public’s panic after losing their leader, they may latch onto that immediately…”

Shido-Leaning Legislator: “But if the general public becomes our enemy… we’re done for.”

Proxy SIU Director: “That means… there’s no turning back. Well then, leave Niijima to my group. Can we rely on yours in regards to Shido-san?”

timrodresized: That’ll do it for now. Next time, we’ll reach The Last Day, which we’ll spend with Yusuke. We’ll also see a bunch of cutscenes and start on our mandatory journey to kill God.

It’s supposed to represent Akechi’s dual loyalty to Shido and Joker, but in practice they did it because Loki was a Reiji-only Persona in P1 and Akechi is just Reiji but a villain. I guess you could compare him to Nakajima, because just like Nakajima he’s completely useless and serves no purpose in the story other than to get the shit kicked out of him by absolutely everything.

Click Here for Update 99

timrodresized: Time to show how useless school is.

Morgana: “It happened so suddenly. Can’t blame anyone for being confused.”

Kawakami: “The year’s already ending, huh? So much has happened that it’s like ‘where did all the time go?’ Oh, but it’s not over for you yet. You still have finals for three days, from tomorrow to the 22nd.”

timrodresized: We’re already done with practically everything anyway, so it’s not like we need these extra days.

Kawakami: “I’m sure you already knew that though, right? There’s no way you haven’t started studying yet. They’re coming, whether you like it or not. Well, good luck.”

Morgana: “This is the first thing we get after coming to school for the first time in a while? Have you been studying?”

Sojiro: “I was busy dealing with some of Shido’s cronies. Well, you ARE students, so it’s only fitting you’re doing a study group.”

Futaba: “You’re gonna bring us some snacks now and then, right?”

Sojiro: “You don’t even have exams…”

Sojiro: “Oh, glad to see you all. Don’t mind me. Make yourselves at home.”

Haru: “You’re too kind. We’ll take you up on that offer.”

Yusuke: “Why did you bring me here? My school’s exams are already over.”

timrodresized: Yusuke’s exam was a blank piece of paper with the words “PLEASE ART” on top.

Ryuji: “C’mon, don’t be so cold! You sayin’ it’s fine if I fail!?”

Futaba: “Nothing wrong with that.”

Morgana: “Won’t the result be the same whether you study or not?”

Ann: “Now, now, you guys. Just think of it as helping me out!”

Makoto: sigh “I don’t know about this…”

Futaba: “Making a gamble, huh?”

Ryuji: “If she’s wrong, we die…”

Ann: “I don’t wanna die…”

timrodresized: I’m pretty sure in the Japanese voiceovers, Ann and Ryuji say the same thing.

Haru: “Um, is it really that bad?”

Yusuke: “This is every day for them.”

Makoto: “This affects you too, Akira-kun. Well, with your grades I’m not too worried. But you’ve missed a lot of classes, so it couldn’t hurt to study.”

Ann: “Oh yeah, Akira’s good at studying. I feel kind of betrayed…”

Haru: “Betrayed might be a bit much…”

Morgana: “Don’t worry, Lady Ann! Even if you’re not great at studying, I’ll…”

Makoto: “Now then, let’s get to it. What do you want me to teach you?”

timrodresized: I’m going to skip the next couple of lines. Basically, you can get Makoto to give you the answer to one question on the exam… except this is pointless and let me explain why.

timrodresized: The questions on the exam were changed from the base game, but the answers they give you here weren’t! That means you’re getting answers to questions that no longer exist - picking Japanese will have Makoto tell you about the “crow” kanji, which was on the exam in the base game but isn’t in Royal! Fuck!

timrodresized: I mean, of course they could have updated this for a full-price re-release, but we all know Atlus’s slogan.

Ryuji: “Sounds good to me! I can’t do any more.”

Ryuji: “Even if we study and learn what we can in school, doesn’t it feel kinda pointless?”

Yusuke: “At the very least, it’s necessary for Ryuji.”

timrodresized: The Japanese Playstation twitter account did a popularity poll for Persona 5’s fifth anniversary. Ryuji came in dead last. Joker was first, Makoto was second, and Akechi was third because of the BL crowd.

Ryuji: “You wanna say that again!?”

Sojiro: “Those sorts of experiences are important too, but common sense is just as important. You should know better than anyone how nasty adults without common sense can be.”

Haru: “That’s a great point.”

Sojiro: “Someday, you’ll graduate high school and become adults. Then when you get married, you’ll need common sense more than ever.”

timrodresized: Says the guy who was never married.

Ryuji: “Marriage, huh… do you wanna get married, Akira?”

timrodresized: I’m not sure what this scene looks like if you aren’t on the romance route with everyone. My guess is it cuts the lines for the people you’re not dating. But then…

Yusuke: “Well, that won’t be for a while. In the meantime, I’m more concerned with what I’m going to be eating tomorrow.”

timrodresized: Even in the actual script, Yusuke realizes that he and Joker are on a collision course to marriage.

Ryuji: “Cut it out, man. You’re makin’ me hungry. Well, I guess we just gotta get back to studyin’.”

Ann: “That took so long!”

Makoto: “We covered all the difficult parts, so you should probably be fine.”

Haru: “Good work, everyone.”

Futaba: “See? You can do it if you try.”

Ryuji: “We’re finally done… only god, uh… only knows… how’s that saying go again?”

timrodresized: Only God Forgives? That movie that was just Nicholas Winding Refn going “Fuck it, we can copy-paste the script for Drive and it’ll win awards”? Or did you mean “The World Only God Knows”?

Morgana: “Ryuji’s hopeless.”

Ryuji: “What’d you say!?”

Sojiro: “Well, whatever happens, happens. Isn’t it about time you wrapped it up? Be careful on your way home.”

Morgana: “Sucks that you have to do exams even after changing Shido’s heart and saving the country. It’s rough being a human. But looking at you… I feel kind of jealous of humans.”

Sojiro: “I’m sure, now that you don’t have to hide anymore. Your probation ends soon. I dunno if any of this… other stuff will affect that, so just keep quiet.”

timrodresized: There’s also an optional IM conversation from the 18th.

timrodresized: Yusuke took it as a natural defense mechanism against outside boyfriends attempting to steal Joker away.

timrodresized: Tonight, we’re going to the maid cafe to witness the absolute goddamn horror that happens when you rack up 20 points there.

timrodresized: There actually is a model for if she doesn’t fuck up the omelette, and I imagine that her face looks something like this if she pulls it off.

timrodresized: The garbage harem manga I pulled this from (Jitsu wa Watashi wa, localized as “My Monster Secret”) also has the protagonist’s teacher being a maid as a plot point.

timrodresized: There’s apparently a fanbase for it, and I don’t know why. The artist can draw exactly one face and the plot is… nonexistent. It’s Love Hina except all the characters are “monster girls”.

Morgana: “This is… just an assortment of their items.”

timrodresized: …You’re… getting them developed? I’m not sure if this is a localization fuckup or Hashino being stuck in the 80s, but unless that maid is using a Polaroid, she’s not getting those photos developed that day.

timrodresized: CVS and Walgreens (two of the biggest photo development locations in the United States) had stopped doing one-hour photo development in 2015. By this point in 2016, your only options to get film developed probably involved mailing them somewhere - and I’d imagine this was probably true even in Tokyo, unless these maids know somebody.

timrodresized: Now, here’s the stupid part about this. In Innocent Sin, which takes place in 1999 (a time at which one-hour photo places were still very much a thing) Yukino had a digital camera.

timrodresized: The photo is a COMPLETELY USELESS ITEM. It’s not a room decoration, you can’t look at it from the inventory to see the actual photo, and it can’t be sold or gotten rid of.

timrodresized: It’s wild how Atlus put in all these anime shots that are in completely optional IM conversations that no one is going to look at (because after the start of the game you quickly learn to ignore the “New IM” notification) but didn’t put one in for this.

timrodresized: Don’t worry though, Salty Vanilla is on it.

Morgana: “…There’s a huge signature covering your face.”

timrodresized: I’m going to skip the rest of the dialog because it’s all generic.

Morgana: “Hold on a sec, there’s nothing BUT issues!”

Ryuji: “It’s exams… We’re the heroes who saved this country, right? Can’t we be exempt from exams? And is it just me, or do we not have as big a sense of accomplishment as I thought?”

Ryuji: “That’s it! People are so doubtful even after the press conference. He hasn’t been arrested, so I guess that’s expected… we just gotta leave it to Makoto’s sister now. Man, I wish exams would magically disappear by the time we get to school!”

timrodresized: Do you want SMT If? Because that’s how you get SMT If.

Kasumi: “It’s been quite a while since we last met at school like this. Thank you for your efforts in changing Representative Shido’s heart.”

Kasumi: “Oh, if anything, you’re the one deserving all of the thanks, Kurusu-senpai. We should go somewhere to celebrate. Oh, what say we go pay our first respects to the shrine? A new year’s about to begin and all.”

timrodresized: Of course they’d add this, because it was in Persona 4 Golden. The difference is that in Persona 4 Golden you didn’t have to do that with Marie - you could do it with the only correct choice, that being Yukiko.

Kasumi: “But, I suppose we ought to deal with exams first. I’ll be in touch afterwards. Please excuse me!”

Morgana: “That sounds about right. Let’s see… an essay question? This looks tough, but let’s calm down and think it through.”

timrodresized: Shouldn’t he be helping Ann? Joker’s been in the top 10 for exams since the year started.

Morgana: “He was a really famous thief in the Edo period, right? How much money did he steal, in the end?”

Morgana: “That’s right. But he was caught in the end. As a result, he was sentenced to…”

Morgana: “Yeah, he was paraded around town and then had his head displayed. It sounds harsh, but it had a certain significance back then, right? Criminals, especially famous criminals being paraded around, was mostly done for…”

Morgana: “The people wouldn’t have been happy if he looked shabby for his death. Things were brutal back then… even condemned criminals had to be prettied up for a crowd. So the reason Nezumi Kozo had makeup was to appease the people! You finished in time!”

Morgana: “Sounds like we really had Yoshizawa worried. Just wish we could get the general public to change their minds about us, too…”

Ann: sigh “Another day of tests… We finally defeated Shido, but we still have finals… aren’t these battles one after the other tough?”

timrodresized: Did we really need another identical cutscene to yesterday’s?

Ann: “Wha- how behind are you!? Handle your exams like you do your changes of heart…”

timrodresized: Joker’s saying that because the exams took more button presses to clear than Shido did.

Ann: “Shido was way worse than this! Tomorrow’s the final day of exams… well, let’s do our best, I guess.”

Kasumi: “What a coincidence! Good morning!”

Ann: “Morning! I just ran into Akira too. How are exams treating you, Yoshizawa-san? You seem awfully busy with practice lately.”

Kasumi: “Oh, it’s going wonderfully! …Practice, that is. Not as much the exam part. I passed out while studying last night.”

Ann: “Heh, me too. …Let’s see if we can do better than that today.”

Kasumi: “Yes, I should see how much I can cram last-minute on the commute…”

timrodresized: The third day of exams is by far my favorite.

timrodresized: By the way, welcome to THE LAST DAY. It’s all over!

Morgana: “Is everyone out of their minds? How can they still trust Shido?”

Makoto: “I’m doing the same as usual. Well, no problems. I’m all right with it, but my sister hasn’t come home these past few days. I think she has a lot on her plate with building a case against Shido…”

Makoto: “He has connections to powerful people. I’m sure they want him cleared to save their skins.”

Makoto: “Yeah… still, Shido confessed already. That is an indisputable fact. And it’s my sister. She’ll see it through, I’m sure. …With that said, now isn’t the time for us to slack off either.”

Makoto: “Do you remember what the exams will cover? I’ll check on the train for you.”

Morgana: “Hey, we didn’t learn this in class…”

timrodresized: On the one hand, it’s kind of bullshit that there’s no way to know what the answer to this is. On the other, I like that it perfectly simulates what it would be like to walk into school after a month and take an exam the next day.

timrodresized: Let’s try to suss this one out, even though the correct answer is above. We know the US doesn’t have a prime minister, and France doesn’t either. That leaves the UK and Japan.

timrodresized: Then we remember this is an anime game. Of course the fucking answer is going to be Japan, what else would it be?

Morgana: “We didn’t learn this one either…”

timrodresized: This question is a translation failure on so many levels. For one thing, as far as I can tell, “dokyuu” is not the Japanese word for “massive” at all. I plugged it into a Japanese dictionary, and the only word I got back is 弩級, which is pronounced “dokyuu” and is the Japanese word for a dreadnought.

timrodresized: You might also notice that two of those words do not have a “do” in English. “Dreadlock” does in Japanese, due to being pronounced “dread hair” (with a do-re at the start of “dread”) when transliterated to katakana.

timrodresized: So yeah, the answer is “Dreadnought” because that’s quite literally what the word “dokyuu” is. I have no idea how a professional translation team went over this TWICE and didn’t catch it.

timrodresized: Incidentally, you may not want to google that kanji because it’ll lead you to a manga Joker would not approve of. It involves high schoolers fighting aliens by being horny.

timrodresized: As I promised, we will be spending The Last Day with Yusuke. I would have spent the night with him too, if I could.

Yusuke: “But the white noise caused by the crowd is quite pleasant, to be fair. It helps me hone my senses. If I close my eyes, it’s almost as if I’m floating through space.”

Yusuke: “Indeed. There is much to learn in observing the work of others. Interpretation depends on the state of the observer as well. It is as though art itself is alive.”

Yusuke: “Honestly, I sense something has changed within me due to our visit here. It seems my attitude toward art has shifted in some way.”

Yusuke: “Ah, yes. I’d like to show you one of my favorite works. A piece that makes you see something new upon each visit is immensely rare…”

timrodresized: Joker: “I… I think I’m ready for this stage in our relationship. I’m ready to do it.”

Yusuke: “I look forward to viewing what I may glean from it today too. I hope you feel the same, Akira.”

timrodresized: This is going to make no sense when we see what the statue is and will make Yusuke seem like a Fake Art Boyfriend. It is not canon to More Like Yusu-Gay, where they would have seen the piece in question while in Paris.

timrodresized: The statue is the Venus de Milo, which is on display in the Louvre. My guess is that Yusuke was actually talking about Boticelli’s “The Birth of Venus”, which is currently on display in Italy. Boticelli’s painting is said to have used the Venus de Milo as a reference.

timrodresized: The worst part of this is that I can’t tell if this is a translation fuckup or if this was in the original script.

timrodresized: In both of my runs of Persona 4, I always had the protagonist sleep on the last day. Instead, we’re going to do that event with Kawakami that was supposed to happen a couple weeks ago.

Kawakami: “Somewhere with a pretty night view, with just the two of us… ahaha, is that too much? In any case, I’ll head over if there’s anything I can help you with.”

Kawakami: “Okay, Mast- wait. Thanks, Kurusu-kun. Riding the Ferris wheel with the guy I love is a dream come true.”

Kawakami: “…I STILL keep catching myself about to call you that. Really, it’s… still hard for me to believe that this is actually happening. I’m on a date… with you.”

Kawakami: “But that’s what I love… it’s frustrating to admit it… but I love you.”

timrodresized: Even though I think Jitsu wa Watashi wa/Monster Secret is trash, I would’ve preferred if Kawakami’s romance scenes were more like the teacher in that, where it’s more her lamenting the fact that she can’t get a date.

Kawakami: “Ahaha! Wow, now we’re getting into the lines from old cheesy romances, huh? …But I’m happy to hear that. I thought I was too old for that sort of thing.”

Kawakami: “God, my face must be bright red… you’re the first person to see me like this… I want you to know me better than anyone’s known me before. So please, look into my eyes…”

Makoto: “Postponed?”

Ryuji: “They should be firing him!”

Ann: “And wait, ‘poor health’?”

Makoto: “This is completely different from what my sister told us…”

Yusuke: “How can people still believe in him?”

Ann: “What the heck!? The Phantom Thieves are being treated like, well… like they never existed!”

Morgana: “Goodness…”

Haru: " ‘No link among the ‘change of heart’ incidents, only coincidental psychiatric disorders… the Phantom Thieves only used those rumors to their advantage…’ "

Yusuke: “This is preposterous… who would believe such a thing?”

Futaba: “But the person saying this is a famous researcher. And even the ministry is saying that’s how they determined the situation too…”

Haru: “What’s going on? No matter how you look at it, this isn’t normal.”

Morgana: “Yeah… it’s as if the people in reality have become distorted… what’s happening here worries me. But the only thing we can do right now is wait and see what happens…”

Sae: “We’re at the cusp of making a case! Do you know how much trouble we’ve gone through to get this far?”

timrodresized: No, this is a country governed by being neutral - unless you’d prefer the Thousand Year Kingdom or whatever the Gaean plan is.

Sae: “You still want to protect him even though you know what happened to the man previously at your post!?”

Sae: “…What!?”

Sae: “…!”

Haru: “We know he doesn’t need a psychiatric evaluation!”

Sojiro: “His lackeys must’ve pressured the others around him. It means there’s far more people who’d be in trouble if the truth came out than we imagined.”

Ann: “Isn’t there anything we can do?”

Makoto: “Sis said the assembly of a case may be possible if the general public wants Shido held accountable… but even that chance has been destroyed with the manipulation of the mass media.”

Makoto: “They made it clear that the argument itself was ‘occult,’ even claiming that it never happened.”

timrodresized: I know that this happened to a degree in reality, but it seems far-fetched that Shido has so many people in this assassination ring that they can bury him going on live TV and saying he killed someone to the point where the vast majority of people not only don’t believe it, but also don’t even believe that John Persona is real.

timrodresized: There is a plot reason for this… kind of. It’s not a good plot reason.

Sojiro: “As a result, the Phantom Thieves are still labeled as criminals, even after all that’s happened.”

Futaba: “It’s a storm of criticisms online too. People are saying to catch the remnants and execute them…”

timrodresized: Wait, wasn’t the whole point that no one believes John Persona even exists?

Ann: “This is crazy…”

Makoto: “At any rate, let’s wait for my sister. She should be arriving here soon.”

Ryuji: “Everyone’s being tricked so easily! Why the hell did we risk our lives then!?”

Yusuke: “If Shido isn’t judged by the law, everything we’ve done will be treated as if it never happened.”

Makoto: “Moving the entire country however they wish by controlling people’s cognition… this is no different than being inside a Palace…”

Sae: “I gathered the best of the best and fought for a case… but as Makoto must’ve told you, it was denied. At this rate, it won’t end with just Shido’s innocence. This trend will continue spiraling down.”

timrodresized: I’d just like to process this statement for a moment. Sae knows how the Metaverse works. She knows that only eight people (and a cat) have access to it, and seven of them are in the room. I’m assuming that Akechi’s phone probably got destroyed when he died, since he would have needed it to enter Shido’s palace.

timrodresized: I’m also pretty sure the Metaverse thing can’t be copied the way the Demon Summoning Program can, and that only Igor (or some other god-level entity) can give it to someone. How would anyone else even get into the Metaverse to use it?

Sae: “…But, that’s not what I’m here to tell you. We’re in danger because we know the truth. It’s only a matter of time before we’re apprehended. It wouldn’t be odd if they were to charge in now.”

Ryuji: “This makes no effin’ sense…”

timrodresized: I mean, it really doesn’t.

Makoto: “Sis…”

Sae: “There’s nothing more I can do with my resources… that’s why… I want to ask for your help. I wondered if there was any way you could do something one last time. I know I’m in no position to ask this of you.”

Ann: “That doesn’t matter to us! So what are we gonna do? Should we change the hearts of all of Shido’s followers?”

Makoto: “Even if Futaba were to research all of them, it’d take time.”

Futaba: “There’s too little information…”

Yusuke: “We can only target individuals… are we no match against the national power?”

Morgana: “…Mementos. If we use Mementos, we might be able to do something.”

Ryuji: “There’s something we can do there?”

Morgana: “Like I told you before, Mementos is the Palace of the general public. It’s the source of all distortions, and is maintained by the people’s collective unconsciousness.”

Makoto: “Wait… do you mean that there’s a Treasure even in Mementos!? And if we go after that-”

Morgana: “The collapse of Mementos should affect the public as a whole. The state of society would change too. If everyone’s hearts grow to hold Shido responsible for his actions, things might start going our way.”

timrodresized: I don’t think I see where the connection between “destroy Mementos” and “people now hate Shido” is, but okay.

Yusuke: “That’s a bold plan, but an interesting one.”

Ryuji: “Sounds good to me!”

timrodresized: So wait, is this just Inception now?

Morgana: “…But if we’re gonna do this, there’s one thing you all need to realize. To begin with, why does something like the human cognition exist as another, substantial world? The reason for that is most likely sleeping within Mementos.”

Morgana: “…We’ll be destroying that, you know.”

Ryuji: “… I don’t see where you’re goin’ with this.”

timrodresized: The game will be over! We’ll have to find something else to LP!

timrodresized: I mean, it doesn’t at all because the expansion content exists. Strikers does too.

Haru: “We’ll have to discard this way of life…”

Futaba: “…”

Ann: “I think we need to do this. I mean, we’re the group who’s reforming society, right?”

Morgana: “Akira… what do you think as our leader? You’ll lose your powers if Mementos is erased. Will you still do it?”

timrodresized: Given that the other option is being arrested and probably killed for real this time, why would Joker say no?

Morgana: “…I see. All right. It seems there are no objections.”

Sae: “Did you come up with a plan?”

timrodresized: This cutscene is WAY longer than it has any right to be.

Makoto: “Whether it succeeds or not is another story though.”

Sae: “Last job?”

Haru: “Once we accomplish our duty, we entrust the world to respectful adults. That is our condition for accepting the job.”

Sae: “This is a ‘deal’ then… that’s certainly a heavy condition. But very well, I accept. I swear to make Masayoshi Shido stand and be tried in a court of law. Besides… my pride won’t allow me to be continually saved by you all without doing anything in return.”

Makoto: “We’ll be counting on you.”

Sojiro: “Looks like it’s decided then?”

Futaba: “We already said that before though!”

timrodresized: Did you? I honestly haven’t been paying attention.

Haru: “That’s fine. We’re doing it for real this time, after all.”

Morgana: “We don’t have much time, right? We should carry this out tomorrow. I’m counting on you guys. No matter what happens, you better see it through!”

timrodresized: Before we go to bed, I put up the decoration we got from Kawakami.

Morgana: “…Actually, never mind. You must be tired.”

Morgana: “Honestly… you’re amazing. There’s definitely something special about you. You dodge everything the enemies throw at you like it’s your destiny.”

timrodresized: Joker: “No, that’s because every Persona I have has Ali Dance.”

Morgana: “At first I thought you were going to be a useful tool for me… but now this is where I belong.”

timrodresized: Haven’t we had this exact conversation with Morgana like ten times already?

Morgana: “Aren’t you only going to be here for a year? Still… it makes me happy to hear that. …It’s not like me to say all that embarrassing stuff. But still… I think it’s fine. For tonight, at least.”

Music The Path Is Open

timrodresized: Futsunushi is basically a tax on what was the best Persona in the base game.

New Persona: Futsunushi

Origin: Japan

First Appearance: Majin Tensei II

Shinto god of swords.

timrodresized: Futsunushi itemizes into Hi no Kagutsuchi, the sword Nakajima uses in the Megami Tensei novels… but it’s another one of those items we can’t fuse because it doesn’t have a known user.

timrodresized: We already have most of the ultimate weapons, and we know that Sandalphon itemizes into Kasumi’s best weapon… so who uses Hi no Kagutsuchi?

timrodresized: The answer to that is why Royal’s plot sucks. We will see that either next update, or more likely the update after that. .

timrodresized: Anyway, let’s talk about Futsunushi himself briefly. His moveset is utterly meh, apart from his trait. Note that it doesn’t actually triple Charge and Concentrate - it makes them boost the next attack by 3x instead of 2.5x.

timrodresized: His moveset is an improvement over the base game’s, where he learned Ali Dance and Firm Stance together. Ali Dance is cancelled by Firm Stance.

New Persona: Mercurius

Origin: Greece (as Hermes)

Roman god of commerce, speed, and merchants. Also a symbol of the human consciousness. Adapted from Hermes in Greek myth.

Morgana: “…He’s repelled such an ordeal, and this guy’s still not being rewarded for it? If gods really do exist… they’re being too hard on him.”

Justine: We gave you words of praise… but we take them all back!"

Igor: The source of what was hindering your rehabilitation… to think it would be the ignorant masses to which you tried to prove your integrity."

Igor: “Did they themselves not show elation for those who are unseen? Despite all that, they now say you do not exist. They toyed with you, yet none take responsibility.”

Igor: “The distortion of man’s world is endlessly deep… fixing it now may be impossible even with the appearance of a Trickster…”

Caroline: “M-Master?”

Justine: “…”

Igor: “It seems this is the limit of humanity…”

timrodresized: Huh. Igor sure sounds a lot like Nyarlathotep.

Caroline: “…”

timrodresized: Next time, we go to the depths of Mementos - the true final dungeon of the base game. There, we’ll hit the split between the base game and Royal.

timrodresized: We will be doing the base game’s ending… in a separate arc header. Royal’s ending will come first, under a header titled… A WORLD WITHOUT PAIN.

I want to acknowledge this as lowkey the worst line in the game. Are the adults shitty or not? What alchemy has birthed this new category of ‘respectful adult’?

He even starts talking in the incomprehensible mush of the P1/P2 PSP localizations, instead of the slightly different incomprehensible mush of P5’s localization.

Yeah pretty much. Reading manga for nine hours a day kind of turned me off to a lot of that, my brain passes sentences like “I am going to go to the store and buy a milks” without even thinking about it anymore. Trust me when I say it’s only going to get worse the closer we get to the base game’s ending.

Oh, that’s easy. The ‘respectful adult’ category came around when Hashino realized that he wasn’t going to have time or space to write a plotline about the party’s stance toward adults changing as they grow up, so instead he stuck that in there and hoped no one would notice.

Click Here for Update 100

timrodresized: My biggest regret about today is that the game does not let you visit Chihaya before dumping you in the dungeon… meaning I had to grind for alarms.

Morgana: “You and everyone else… you’ve all grown so much… no, this is no time to get sentimental. We’re going to end this with a bang! All right, let’s go!”

timrodresized: Naturally, we get the top score on the final exam. I think there’s a reward you can pick up from Sojiro once we cross into the expansion content. The game then immediately dumps us in Mementos.

Panther: “The door to the depths of Mementos has been opened… wait, does that mean-”

Morgana: “…We’re really gonna do this, right?”

Panther: “Of course!”

Skull: “Why’re you askin’ now?”

Morgana: “Well… I-I just thought, what am I gonna do if you guys freak out and bail on me!”

timrodresized: We all should’ve bailed on this game hours ago. Seriously, what you’re about to see is a big samey dungeon with exactly four enemy types and a single puzzle from Nocturne that gets recycled like ten times.

Morgana: “We’re going to erase Mementos, aren’t we? Come on, let’s go, you guys!”

Oracle: “Mona sure seems hyped up!”

Noir: “Isn’t Mona-chan behaving a little… odd?”

Panther: “You know, you’re right.”

Noir: “Yeah… I shouldn’t have brought that up. Shall we get going?”

timrodresized: For whatever reason, the game immediately puts you on the first floor of Mementos instead of letting you warp immediately to the last save point.

timrodresized: In the base game, I did a victory lap on the way to the depths, and probably should’ve this time as well because we are in desperate need of money. Anyway, let’s get to fusing.

New Persona: Minamoto no Yoshitsune

Origin: A Real Person

First Appearance: Devil Summoner

timrodresized: Yoshitsune is a special fusion between Okuinushi, Shiki-Ouji, Arahabaki, Yatagarasu, and Futsunushi. He was the best Persona in the base game and is still VERY good even in Royal.

timrodresized: You see, in the base game, it was possible to build Yoshitsune with a skill called Swift Strike - which is a weaker version of his signature skill, Hassou Tobi. The difference is that you could make Swift Strike guarantee critical hits, whereas I don’t think Hassou Tobi could crit even in the base game.

timrodresized: Let’s talk about Hassou Tobi. It hits all enemies 8 times for somewhere between 100 and 150 damage (with Joker’s stats at current levels). I gave Yoshitsune the trait from Futsunushi that boosts Charge to a 3x multiplier. When Charged, this guarantees that Hassou Tobi does north of 2,400 damage to any enemy not resistant to physical. That’s before we factor in buffs.

timrodresized: If you’re planning on using him, you probably want to switch out Joker’s gun for the one made using Metatron to get that extra 6 strength, since Yoshitsune gives zero fucks about magic.

timrodresized: By the way, it’s possible to make a Yoshitsune that absorbs, nulls, or repels everything except guns (as there is no null gun or repel gun skill) and fire (which he’s merely resistant to).

timrodresized: We can then itemize Yoshitsune into Yusuke’s best melee weapon.

timrodresized: Let’s head all the way the hell down to the end of Sheriruth. We now know what the entirety of Mementos looks like. I can’t tell if the bottom’s supposed to be the Earth’s core or what.

Queen: “It should be. Why, what’s wrong?”

Skull: “I dunno, it looks just like all the other ones… I was thinkin’ it’s a little disappointin’… maybe we worked too hard to get down here or something.”

Fox: “The lack of unforeseen circumstances is nothing to complain about. Let us continue.”

Oracle: “It’s some big, fossil-looking thing… so this must be the Treasure.”

Fox: “So this is where that crowd of people was trying to reach?”

Queen: “People are walking in and out of there, so the other side of the wall must be… wait! It’s not a wall, but a giant door!”

Skull: “Guess that means the Treasure’s not here. C’mon, let’s stay focused.”

Morgana: “It opened straight away… I bet that means the inner depths the Meta-Nav was talking about before are right ahead.”

Oracle: “Hold on. The door only opens from this side…”

Panther: “…What do you mean?”

timrodresized: She means it’s one of those “Doors that don’t open from this side” from Dark Souls.

Oracle: “Well, I took a quick peek at the mechanism inside the door… and it looks like you can only open it from here. We can get in, but nothing can get out.”

timrodresized: Even though Futaba is saying this, the door will remain open even once we go through it. You can go into the final dungeon and then back out to Mementos.

timrodresized: You can access Iwai and Tae from the first floor if you need to - this is because we have to clear this dungeon in one day. Not that that’s a huge challenge, given we’ve been doing it the whole game.

Queen: “It’s as though whatever lies within has been locked away…”

Noir: “Wait, so you’re saying that the people going in there are choosing a life of imprisonment?”

timrodresized: Since Haru went ahead and said it, yes. This is what the theme of the rest of this game is going to be. In fact, the plot of Royal isn’t all that different.

Fox: “I have never felt such eeriness before… what is this place?”

Morgana: “We’ll find out once we reach the depths. Come on, let’s go.”

Panther: “It’s so creepy…”

Fox: “So those strange pipes tunneling through Mementos were originating from down here after all. You know, I have been considering this for some time… they remind me somewhat of veins.”

Panther: “I mean, what does everyone think this world is…!?”

Morgana: “Calm down, Lady Ann. The Treasure is definitely here, and that’s what’s important now. And I can sense something else. A tremendous presence that’s coming from much deeper within…”

Queen: “I don’t know that I want to find out what that may be, but we must harden our resolves. It’s time to head for the depths!”

timrodresized: Gotta love how neither of them answer her question.

Morgana: “It looks like they’re all trying to get past that door.”

Panther: “But why’s it so crowded!?”

Oracle: “It looks like the door’s keeping them all out. We’ll have to try and look for another way in.”

timrodresized: The other way in is simply jumping around the side.

Panther: “The Shadows out front were trying to get in here, right? What could it be…?”

timrodresized: This dungeon reminds me a lot of those “orange” maps you’d see in Counterstrike and Team Fortress 2 that use the stock developer textures. It’s about as exciting, too.

Oracle: “…Is this a prison!?”

timrodresized: I wish I could find the clip from Sonic 06 of Silver going “ARE WE UNDERWATER?” because this is one of those moments.

Skull: “Who’s captured here?”

Queen: “Technically speaking, I would say it’s someone’s Shadow…”

Noir: “They’re saying something…”

Fox: “They feel safe being here? What’re you saying? You’re being kept in a prison.”

timrodresized: You know, they’re doing the whole “jail is the safest place” thing that guy from Yakuza 0 did before he got shot by a guard who was on a rival family’s payroll.

Morgana: “This reminds me of Kamoshida’s castle… they’re like the ‘slaves’ we saw there.”

timrodresized: Oh, okay, it’s not Yakuza 0, it’s STALKER. Actually… it really kinda is STALKER, given what we’re about to run into.

Panther: “A system that grants… desires?”

Skull: “Something like that exists? Here!?”

Queen: “It’s no use. You can’t reason with these people.”

Fox: “They’re truly ‘distorted’, just like the scenery here…”

Queen: “Quarantine? Who’s locked in there?”

timrodresized: Everyone, in about four years.

Oracle: “…? Mona?”

timrodresized: This is one of the only forced fights in this dungeon. Two Melchizedeks are nothing we can’t take out… even though Wind is kind of our weak point right now due to Baal being the same since Okumura’s Palace.

Skull: “Wait a sec… this is everyone’s Palace, right? Not like Kamoshida’s castle… who’s keepin’ these people here?”

Noir: “Mona-chan?”

Morgana: “…I remember now. I’ve… seen this place before.”

timrodresized: Could it be that just like Teddie, he’s actually a Shadow? Oh wait, we already know he is.

Panther: “Hold on though. It wasn’t open until we came here today.”

Morgana: “Sorry… it’s just a sense I’m getting. Still… it feels like I’m really close to remembering something important…”

Skull: “Y’know, comin’ in here was what you wanted from the beginning. We just gotta keep movin’ on!”

Fox: “On top of that, I’m curious to know who the ruler of this place is.”

Noir: “Wait, what about these people?”

Queen: “Leave them be. They’ll be taken care of if we erase Mementos.”

Oracle: “Hey, it’s dangerous to keep standing around here! Let’s get going!”

timrodresized: The first couple of rooms after the cutscene are all generic and contain exactly three enemy types - and we’ve already seen one, that being Melchizedek. All of them are within Insta-Kill range.

timrodresized: One of the two remaining enemy types is Moloch. He goes down very quickly to Satan.

timrodresized: I’m going to skip a lot of the dialog here, because this is a puzzle recycled from Nocturne.

timrodresized: Pushing one of these red pillars makes a bunch of yellow tiles appear.

timrodresized: Stepping on a yellow tile turns it blue, while stepping on a blue tile turns it yellow.

timrodresized: The goal is to turn all the tiles blue and end up on the space with the pillar, essentially making an Euler circuit. Not every one of these is solved that way, as some of the later ones require doubling back.

timrodresized: No shit. This puzzle is set up so you can’t possibly fail.

Oracle: “So that device is not only a switch, but also the wall that’s blocking our path.”

Noir: “That’s a pretty elaborate device…”

Fox: “It is only natural that security is tight in a prison. Then again, no inmates actually wish to leave…”

timrodresized: This isn’t a forced battle. The game spawns the enemies, who will immediately begin patrolling but won’t notice you provided you keep moving forward.

timrodresized: The other enemy type that appears here is Lilith, who… well, let me take this opportunity to show off Hassou Tobi.

timrodresized: Even uncharged and without the starting status effects from ambushing enemies with the grappling hook, Hassou Tobi can end encounters by itself.

timrodresized: There’s a lot of these NPCs around. Most of them say the same thing with slightly different phrasing.

Skull: “The hell…? Is this some kinda prison cell too…?”

Panther: “Plus there are those blood vessel things coming down into it…”

timrodresized: We also max out Haru. She’s now pure gun and psy damage. In the end, it’s probably better that she doesn’t learn any fourth-tier spells due to how high their cost is.

timrodresized: I grab another alarm and fuse US Ambassador to Japan John Thorman. We need him for a 5-way fusion.

timrodresized: Thorman itemizes into Imprisoned Mjolnir, which is Ryuji’s best melee weapon. You know, Ronald Reagan was in the original Megami Tensei novels and I’m wondering if anyone tried itemizing him. Anyway, we use Thorman to do the last Persona fusion we’re going to do until the expansion.

New Persona: Chi You

Origin: China

First Appearance: Devil Summoner

Chinese war deity who is half man, half bull. Fought a war against Huang Di, said to be the ancestor of all Han Chinese. Was defeated and eventually beheaded by Huang Di’s general, Yinglong. Also important to both Miao and Hmong folklore.

timrodresized: Chi You is a five-way fusion between Yoshitsune, Cu Chulainn, Thor, Hecatoncheires and White Rider. In practice, he’s basically Kohryu but with better stats and a unique skill that reduces the cost of Psychic spells by 75%.

timrodresized: The next room has a hook point in it that we can use to reach one of Morgana’s better weapons.

timrodresized: We also get a good look at Yusuke’s new sword.

timrodresized: Ann gets maxed out, learning her final spell. She can only use Blazing Hell ten times on a full SP bar, which is why fourth-tier spells aren’t the best on the party members. It’s only really worth it on Joker due to how much he can lower the cost by.

Queen: “Happiness is much more than simply ‘gaining’ things. To be honest, I can’t believe he’s actually enjoying his life here…”

timrodresized: Yes it is, only this time one of the tiles starts out blue. We’ll skip it.

timrodresized: There’s a save room, and then yet another one of these extremely challenging puzzles. We’ll skip this one too.

Fox: “It truly seems to go on ad infinitum… where does it lead?”

Morgana: “I never expected there would be this much here… but the Treasure’s presence is getting stronger. We’re going in the right direction for sure.”

Fox: “No… Madarame…”

Oracle: “Is President Okumura here too!?”

Noir: “Father isn’t around anymore…”

Oracle: “…Sorry.”

Noir: “No, it’s okay. More importantly, look here.”

Skull: “The hell’s goin’ on!? These guys shoulda had a change of heart from their Palaces disappearin’!”

Kamoshida: “Man, your bod’s as great as always. C’mon, come closer.”

Panther: “You creep!”

Kamoshida: “Hmph… I’m joking. I don’t want any more trouble. I finally get to live without having to think for myself now.”

Madarame: “I mistakenly thought myself to be talented… but now I think I’m a fool for wanting too much.”

timrodresized: I’ll spare you posting that theme from that game that just came out, because in a year’s time the fanbase will have ruined it. You know the one.

timrodresized: If you’re reading this in a year, please congratulate me on accurately predicting the future.

Kaneshiro: “It’s not like you get punished for bein’ dumb. Nobody needs to strive to be more than they really are.”

Fox: “These people seem completely different than they were before…”

Queen: “I don’t think it’s because they had a change of heart though…”

Morgana: “Wait… have they chosen a life of captivity after they lost their distorted desires?”

Shido: “Unfortunately, Okumura isn’t here with us. Nothing can be done for the dead… I’m sorry.”

Noir: “…Yes, I know. Thank you for the details. Now if you don’t mind, what in the world is this place?”

Shido: “It’s supposedly called the ‘Prison of Regression’.”

Oracle: “Regression?”

Shido: “More importantly, does this look like captivity to you? Why, it’s the exact opposite. The utmost freedom is available to anyone who desires it here. This is the freedom to not make decisions… the release from having to think for yourself.”

Shido: “It is far more marvelous than the country I wished to create…”

timrodresized: They really needed an option to have Futaba shoot him in the head mid-speech.

Noir: “Release from having to think? But, that’s…”

timrodresized: Two things. One, why the fuck does any of this matter? Two, isn’t this just the end of The Matrix?

Queen: “So those are the Palace rulers…”

Kamoshida: “I really gotta thank you for changin’ my heart. I got to come back here, after all.”

Skull: “We… sent 'em back here?”

Fox: “I don’t understand… just what have we been doing by using the cognitive world?”

Fox: “That’s true, but…”

Skull: “This ain’t the time to be gettin’ confused! We’re here as the society-fixin’ Phantom Thieves today!”

Queen: “Having the freedom to not make your own decisions only means that someone else is controlling you! Tell me - who is the ruler here? Who made all of this?”

timrodresized: Let me tell you why I hate this scene. Up until now, the villains are more or less ripped straight from the Shounen Battle Manga 101 playbook. They’re obviously the villains, behave in a way that borders on cartoonish, and are there to be the bad half of a world where everything is black and white.

timrodresized: This scene tries to take what are basically your shounen battle manga opponent of the week and turn them into something deeper that was never really there to begin with. It also tries to bring up the question of “Is what the party is doing the right thing to do?” about a hundred hours after we’ve established that this is a black and white morality shounen battle manga.

Shido: “Haven’t you learned anything in school? The collective ruler of a democratic country is its people.”

timrodresized: It’s like Hashino picked up a Noam Chomsky book, read the first few pages, and went “WHOA MAN, THIS IS SOME DEEP SHIT” and then made a plot where the central idea is “Whoa man, did you know society is like, a prison and we’re all prisoners in it?”

Skull: “D-Don’t lie outta your ass like that! I mean, there was a guard here earlier! That means someone’s gotta be lookin’ out for you guys, right?”

Shido: “You may be right. We are the ones ‘looking out’ upon everyone else.”

timrodresized: God fuck I hate every single word of this entire thing! Fuck! This is like, entry-level pseudo-intellectual bullshit!

Panther: “No…”

Queen: “So the ones who least want the prison to be tampered with… are the prisoners themselves?”

Skull: “It don’t matter what this guy’s talkin’ about… we’re gonna erase all of Mementos anyways! C’mon, let’s keep goin’! Mona! The Treasure’s in the deepest part, right!?”

Oracle: “Mona?”

timrodresized: Why isn’t Futaba pissed? They were supposed to make Shido pay for killing her mother, and now he’s sitting in a jail cell not giving a fuck. You’d think she would be fucking livid at this.

Morgana: “I saw the humans in here… and realized I looked different than them for some reason. …Right! That’s when I started to think I wanted to turn into a human!”

Queen: “Is that why you thought you would regain your true form if we destroyed Mementos?”

Morgana: “Sorry… I’m still missing a lot of my memories… but I know I started randomly checking a bunch of Palaces… then my next memory is about that bastard Kamoshida’s. …Yeah… I’m starting to remember more…”

Panther: “Guards again!? And there are more of them this time!”

Morgana: “Dammit… we got careless!”

Queen: “Let’s run!”

timrodresized: Also not a forced battle.

timrodresized: Oh wow, I didn’t know Roy Guarder from acclaimed Zelda clone Two Brothers was in Mementos.

timrodresized: This area introduces Chernobog as a regular encounter. On the left is this dungeon’s new treasure demon: Hope Diamond.

timrodresized: The room past where the former palace bosses were is mostly skippable, but it’s one of the only rooms where you can encounter this dungeon’s red shadow.

timrodresized: Abaddon is a big, tanky fuck who absorbs Physical, Gun, and Curse. He’s neutral against everything else except Bless, which he resists. This is a significant buff from the base game, where he was weak to Nuke and Psychic.

timrodresized: Fortunately, we get a Gun Down against him which immediately erases half of his HP.

timrodresized: His magic defense is also on the low side, allowing Chi You to hit four digits without concentrating.

timrodresized: The next area has a miniboss right at the start to introduce us to the second half of the glowing floor puzzles.

Noir: “There’s something shining back there… what could it be?”

Fox: “Either way, if it is worth being protected, it should be safe to assume that it’s of value to us. What do you think, Joker? Shall we defeat it and take whatever it is protecting?”

timrodresized: This miniboss is a pair of Thrones, the only class of angel we never bothered to fuse because they’re just not that useful. They learn Fire Amp and Inferno… but we have Mada already.

timrodresized: Yusuke laughs at their pathetic attempts to kill him instantly.

timrodresized: Throne is weak to Nuclear, so we let Big Mike handle this one.

timrodresized: This fight maxes out Ryuji, who is still trash compared to Yusuke.

timrodresized: It also maxes out Morgana, who now has the best heal spell in the game.

timrodresized: Makoto learns Atomic Flare. Keep in mind those stats are before the +11 to everything from her gun. She’s easily the strongest character we have.

Queen: “Hm… what do you think this could be used for…?”

Skull: “Who knows? It’ll prolly come in handy though. I mean, that strong-ass Shadow was guardin’ it.”

timrodresized: Joker would like to remind you that horny jail is a very real place.

Oracle: “…Do you think that could be the Quarantine Cell we heard about?”

timrodresized: The disk we got opens a closet. Looking back, I’m not entirely sure why this is necessary for this particular puzzle, but we’ll need to do something similar for a bunch of upcoming ones.

timrodresized: The idea is that you can use the closet as a free space to reset the tile in front of it.

Queen: “We’re so far underground at this point…”

Fox: “I hope we don’t suddenly find ourselves in a giant pool of lava.”

Skull: “Still, we gotta keep going!”

Noir: “Doesn’t that cell seem… different from the others?”

Queen: “Wait… could this be that Quarantine Cell?”

Fox: “Supposedly the most sinful, most dangerous inmate is held within…”

timrodresized: I think you can guess who that inmate is. He’s five foot something, gay, and has never been horny except for Yusuke. Technically, it’s someone else - but we all know it’s really Joker.

Morgana: “This… this place smells familiar for some reason…”

Noir: “Mona-chan?”

Morgana: “…There’s no mistake. This is it. I… was born here.”

timrodresized: He was born in horny jail! That explains his constant thirst for human women, and also Joker!

Noir: “Born? Inside the prison?”

Panther: “Wait, then are YOU the dangerous inmate!?”

Morgana: “No… the inmate wasn’t me… but I remember this place… someone created me here. To guide all of you…”

Noir: “Guide? And who is this someone?”

Morgana: “Ngh… I can’t remember… damn it… I’m so close, but my memory is too foggy…”

Skull: “Y’know, hearin’ all this just makes me wanna know what’s inside.”

timrodresized: We have to eat a couple of attacks, none of which do all that much damage.

Fox: “Given how important this cell appears to be, the depths of Mementos must be near. Mona’s memories may return if we continue on…”

Morgana: “Yeah…”

Skull: “So, we’re finally gettin’ close to the public’s Treasure, huh?”

Morgana: “Now that I think about it, it makes sense Mementos would connect to some place like underneath Shibuya. Everyone crams themselves into packed underground boxes day after day without any complaints…”

Morgana: “From my standpoint, those are the true inmates of Mementos. It’s no surprise the places are connected.”

Queen: “You know, the voices of the public may have led the Phantom Thieves on more than any criminal…”

timrodresized: SMART GIRL

Skull: “Seriously! Let’s hurry up and steal that Treasure so we can crush Mementos!”

Noir: “We truly are reforming society. Let’s go!”

timrodresized: The next area has Orochi in it, who dies about as quickly as you’d expect.

timrodresized: Now we get to deal with ADVANCED stupid floor puzzles.

timrodresized: I make it down this far and then the tiles go red.

timrodresized: The trick here is that there’s a semi-transparent bridge behind where the party is in this shot, and you’re supposed to do a circuit by using the bridge.

Fox: “Reality is ending? That is similar to what the others in the prison are saying… what could that mean?”

timrodresized: Most of the NPCs here keep talking about the apocalypse. We’ll see what that is… soon.

timrodresized: There’s a big dumb area here with a bunch of stupid floor puzzles. I’m going to skim over it because this is even less of a dungeon than Shido’s was.

timrodresized: The trick is to do the left side first, then the right side, then the top. This opens up some walls so that you can do the top puzzle in less than ten moves. There is a kind of mercy mechanic where if you hit the last tile (the one with the pillar on it) on your 10th move, it will still let you finish the puzzle.

timrodresized: There’s one last save point, and then it’s time for a boss fight.

Queen: “It’s huge… I didn’t realize such a gigantic place existed here…”

Noir: “Is… this where everyone’s Treasure is held?”

Fox: “But this ominously bizarre air about it… it almost feels like a temple of sorts. Although…”

Skull: “Look, th-there’s no point freakin’ out now! C’mon, let’s go!”

timrodresized: Well, there’s the boss. Time to go kill it.

Oracle: “And… what’s that thing in the middle?”

Fox: “There are no other passages leading out of this room. It appears this is our final destination… the depths of Mementos.”

timrodresized: Kind of funny that it’s Fox telling us about Final Destination.

Noir: “In that case, is the Treasure of Mementos somewhere in here?”

Morgana: “I’ve never been here… but I can sense it. There’s no mistaking that presence. If we get rid of it… if we get rid of it, the public should come to its senses!”

Fox: “But something that large will be impossible to carry out of here.”

Skull: “We just gotta make it disappear, right? If we can’t move it, then we’ll just hafta destroy it!”

Morgana: “Yeah… that will work.”

Panther: “Once we do that, the entire Metaverse is going to disappear, right? This is finally it…”

Oracle: “That thing isn’t gonna sit back and let itself get destroyed.”

Fox: “Even the inmates are starting to liven up. How eerie… are they planning something?”

Skull: “That must mean this thing’s gotta be the Treasure. They saved us the trouble of checkin’!”

Queen: “…Hold on. Something’s off. Shido said the masses are allowing themselves to be held captive here. Could they truly be operating this gigantic system that eliminates intruders on its own?”

Queen: “The prison guards and soldiers were very organized too…”

Fox: “Are you trying to say that someone else rules this place? Is it not the public?”

Skull: “We don’t have time to worry about that! Leave it for later!”

Morgana: “All right, guys! We better not lose now!”

timrodresized: We start out with our usual boss killing repertoire: Concentrate and Thermopylae. Rivers in the Desert is playing in the background, because Atlus was too cheap to make a theme for this boss.

timrodresized: The boss has only one attack: Arrow of Light. It does Almighty damage, but only attacks one target and never actually hit during this fight.

timrodresized: With one salvo of attacks, we’ve reduced the boss to 50% HP. That seems… oddly specific, doesn’t it? That’s because we’ve just triggered the script. The game skips Joker’s turn.

timrodresized: The prisoners start chanting the words “Holy Grail”.

timrodresized: The boss then heals itself for somewhere between 900 and 1000 damage in a loop until it is at full health.

Oracle: “What was that!? Don’t tell me… are the inmates giving it their strength!?”

Skull: “Dammit! This is never gonna end!”

Fox: “It seems hopeless if there are this many inmates supporting it…”

timrodresized: The game won’t reveal the boss’s name until we fight it for real, but I’ll tell you exactly what it is: it’s Yaldabaoth… also known as the Demiurge… also known as YHVH. We are killing God because this is a JRPG.

Panther: “Who’s that!?”

Queen: “The Treasure’s talking!?”

Noir: “The Holy Grail…”

Skull: “Dammit! They’re worshipin’ that thing!”

timrodresized: Yaldabaoth becomes a disco ball.

timrodresized: Even with all those lights, it still can’t hit anyone.

timrodresized: This time, we don’t even get past Makoto’s turn.

Oracle: “No… did it heal again…!? We can’t lose! Keep attacking!”

timrodresized: Every time Yaldabaoth heals, it gets slightly lighter.

timrodresized: Third round. A charged Hassou Tobi is enough to send it into heal mode.

timrodresized: Fourth round. Ann and Makoto unleash their Concentrated fourth-tier spells.

Oracle: “No fair! This is cheating!”

Morgana: “If this is really how people feel, there’s no way we’ll be able to steal their hearts… we’ve come here for nothing…”

Noir: “This is horrible…”

timrodresized: This is a very common line uttered by YHVH in the main SMT games, usually after he’s been killed off.

Queen: “Is this what everyone wants? To stop thinking and be guided by the Holy Grail?”

timrodresized: What Joker’s saying is that while there are those who think that life leaves nothing left to chance and is an aimless dance directed by a host of holy horrors, he will choose a path that’s clear - he will choose free will… and Yusuke.

Queen: “Yes… it’s so frustrating it makes me want to to cry… but I… I will never agree!”

Morgana: “The humans I look up to aren’t like that… no matter how painful reality is, it’s all over if you don’t try to change how things are! I’m not the only one who believes that! Everyone here agrees…”

Morgana: “We don’t want to turn back into the people we used to be! That’s why we risked our lives coming here!”

Noir: “Mona-chan…”

Panther: “He’s right!”

Skull: “That’s a load of shit!”

timrodresized: Ryuji’s right, if I got a full turn in any of those fights, Yaldabaoth would be dead.

Queen: “Encroach? What is it gonna do!?”

Panther: “Hey, this doesn’t look good!”

Oracle: “I’ve got a bad feeling about this…”

Fox: “Mona! What should we do!?”

Morgana: “Humans aren’t all stupid like you say they are!”

timrodresized: I’d believe it if it wasn’t Hashino saying it, because he thinks his viewers are fucking idiots.

Skull: “Hell no…”

timrodresized: The voice here is entirely synthetic, and there’s a good reason for that… which we’ll see next update.

Morgana: “Huh!? Who’s that!?”

Morgana: “N-No way… I see… so that’s how it was… I remember everything now…”

Ann: “Is everyone okay!?”

Ryuji: “Owww… of course we are!”

Futaba: “Oh! Hey, our clothes are back to normal!”

Morgana: “Look!”

Yusuke: “We’re back!?”

Morgana: “We didn’t come back ourselves though… we must’ve been driven out by the Holy Grail.”

Makoto: “Did we lose?”

Makoto: “I know that, but…”

timrodresized: It is a fucking CRIME that this didn’t happen way earlier in the game. This feels like Persona 1, and holy shit they could’ve done so much with this. Why the fuck didn’t they go with this instead of the palace fuckery?

timrodresized: We’ve got Saya no fucking Uta going on here and it fucking rules! Why was this not the entire game!?

Iwai: “Huh? Tch, the hell is this? What’s going on!? Kaoru… Kaoru!”

Hifumi: “Is this scenery… for real?”

P5_portrait_of_Toranosuke_Yoshida: “What on earth!? This is impossible… why doesn’t anyone notice this!?”

Ohya: “Damn, looks like I should take this seriously…”

Chihaya: “…! Oh no… something wrong’s happened to the world!”

Tae: “What’s going on here!?”

Sojiro: “Wh-what the hell is happening here?”

Sae: “I hope those kids are safe…”

timrodresized: They absolutely needed a scene where the rain of blood hits Sae and she turns into her shadow.

Shinya: “Everyone else isn’t seeing this?”

timrodresized: You’ll notice that someone is conspicuously missing from this cutscene. Actually, TWO someones. There’s a good reason for that, believe it or not.

timrodresized: I’m pretty sure smartphone sales were already starting to tank in 2016.

Yusuke: “Why isn’t anyone noticing this abnormality?”

Makoto: “It’s probably because they don’t feel that it’s odd…”

Futaba: “Ooh… I feel… woozy… nngh…”

timrodresized: The reason this is happening is fucking stupid.

timrodresized: Okay, but… isn’t that just Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunnygirl Senpai, which has been around since 2014?

timrodresized: The thing is, this makes no sense. There’s at least ten people other than the party who know they exist, plus the party knows that they exist.

timrodresized: I call bullshit on this, the boss couldn’t even fucking land a hit. Joker should be taking maybe 1 damage from this.

timrodresized: And now we know why Mishima changed the question.

timrodresized: Well, that sucks. Next time, we’ll see the “Richter Mode” where you play as a party of Hifumi, Shinya, Iwai and Kawakami. Oh wait, that would be good game design. No, we’ll be seeing a bunch of bullshit cutscenes and another bad ending.

Congratulations on reaching triple goddamn digits on updates. But Your Battle Continues…

Fate/stay night is, what, 18 years old at this point? It’s old enough to vote (but not in Japan), which I guess makes it old enough to join the Hallowed Hall of References, alongside Lupin and Doraemon and Berserk and that anime with the blue spaceman in it.

(EDIT: The Holy Grail is specifically described as a “wish-granting system” in FSN.)

While I’m thinking about it, I want to make a rare positive comment about P5: it isn’t Fate. Let’s count our fucking blessings about that.

I thought society was the prison and you were voluntarily…nope. Never mind. I’m not asking questions.

This LP has been going on so long I might’ve said this already, but the whole “I will return as long as evil exists in the hearts of men, etc” line is a stock Japanese media cliche. It’s so ubiquitous that SMT has even parodied it…

Black Frost’s not dead he’s surely alive, he’s living on the inside roaring like a snowman, motherfucker.

Yep, you can’t control a totalitarian state without ~20% of the vote, and the Phantom Thieves only have 16.5%. Thus they dissolve into Thanos ash. Or whatever happened in Infinity War, I haven’t seen it.

You asked why P5 didn’t go to the Bone Zone halfway through the game and instead waited for the very end for something to happen. I think there’s two ways to look at it. First, if all this blood and bone stuff had appeared earlier, then something would have happened, and that would be unacceptable.

Alternatively, you could look at it like this. One could argue that the P1 and P2 were both, in different ways, defined by having two different worlds (real world and the world created by the Deva System, and the worlds in IS and EP). But the first Persona game, P3, is static. So it’s tradition.

I don’t quite remember you showing off any bad ending, yet. You just hinted that selling out your team during Sae’s interrogation would lead into a bad ending, but didn’t post the actual result of doing so. Are you still planning to post all that stuff?

Also this ending reminds me of a comic I think I read a long time ago about a lady that literally stops existing because she stops posting every single thing she does on social media. Whoops Joker didn’t shout out where he just got coffee, everyone forgot he existed.

Click Here for Update 101

Igor: “It appears I have overestimated you…”

timrodresized: Joker does not give a fuck. The only two things he cares about are where Yusuke is and how he’s going to get around Yaldabaoth’s cutscene powers.

Igor: chuckle

Caroline: “You incompetent prisoner!”

Justine: “The assistance we provided was all for naught.”

Igor: “Humans are more apathetic… and more foolish than I had thought them to be. The world will soon see its ruin…”

Igor: “You were meant to bring change to mankind as a Trickster, but it seems that was too much for you. In accordance to the game’s rules, the defeated must pay a price. Your life is forfeit.”

Caroline: “Executed?”

Igor: “God’s decree is absolute. My experiment has come to naught… everything is over. Grant that man a swift death.”

timrodresized: Fuck you, Hashino! Fuck you! You’ve used this fucking plot three fucking times now! Three! Stop fucking stealing from Satomi Tadashi and write a fucking plot!

timrodresized: In case you’re wondering, yes, this is another Innocent Sin “god betting on whether humanity will destroy itself” plot… except in this case, it’s Yaldabaoth betting against itself.

timrodresized: The thing is, when your plot revolves around gods betting on humanity’s destruction, you kind of need gods. Plural. You need a Philemon or a Lucifer (or a Dagda) to give your Nyarlathotep or YHVH a reason they can’t immediately proceed to “raise Xibalba and kill everyone” or “kill everyone and bring in the Millennium Kingdom”.

timrodresized: Now, I’m not going to say that Persona 4 didn’t have the same problem, because it absolutely did. The thing is, with Persona 4 it wasn’t clear that Izanami planned to kill everyone - she basically only gave a shit about watching two proxy versions of her husband kill each other for her amusement.

Caroline: “If that’s what our master wishes…”

Caroline: “I-It just means that you weren’t an upstanding prisoner!”

Justine: “That… may be true, but…”

Igor: “What is the matter? Carry out his sentence at once!”

Justine: “Are we really going to kill him?”

Caroline: “Don’t falter now! It’s all his fault for losing the game!”

timrodresized: This is another thing I think is super fucking lazy. Remember back when we finished Caroline and Justine’s confidant, how they look at their list and realize something?

timrodresized: This is where that’s going to come into play… only there’s no different scene if you’ve maxed them out. There should have been, with a variant if you’ve also done all the outings with them.

timrodresized: The door to Joker’s cell blows apart.

Caroline: “Ready, Justine?”

Justine: “If our master orders so… then it cannot be helped…”

Justine: “…Understood.”

timrodresized: This is another thing I think is SUPER FUCKING LAZY.

timrodresized: You do actually get to fight Caroline and Justine… as optional superbosses… in New Game Plus only. The dumb part is that by that point the fight isn’t a challenge because you have Joker’s true ultimate Persona that can wipe them in a single hit. They also get replaced in Royal with a superboss who is SIGNIFICANTLY harder.

timrodresized: Not that you can’t do that with the DLC Personas. One of the paid ones is Izanagi no Okami, the ultimate, NG+ - only Persona of the Persona 4 protagonist. He has a trait that makes all damage done scale with how complete your compendium is (he also takes less damage based on that). I’ve seen videos of people wiping every boss in the game with him in a single hit.

timrodresized: Ironically, we make the scripting here actually work by being so high-level. Unfortunately, it doesn’t take Lucifer into account.

timrodresized: What the shit is that pose?

Justine: “This power… Caroline, it’s as I thought!”

Igor: “What’s the matter?”

Caroline: “I told you not to falter! Are you going against our master’s orders!?”

Justine: “Ngh…”

timrodresized: In most cases, Joker is already at 1HP by this point. The game doesn’t take into account Joker’s insane magic defense because of his armor.

timrodresized: Anyway, since I’m not going all the way back through NG+ in the base game to do the real version of this fight, I’ll just show off the key highlight of it instead. Note that you can do it at any time, that’s why that person has Akechi in their party.

timrodresized: The way the fight works is that it’s on a constant six-turn timer. You have to advance the fight to the next phase by removing around 25% of their total HP or they automatically end the fight with that All-Out. The first time they reach 50% HP, they Diarahan themselves.

timrodresized: Unlike Elizabeth and Margaret (who both go into an auto-fuck mode if you null, repel, or drain anything), you can make that full-absorb Yoshitsune or an all-reflect Arahabaki and win the fight that way. In fact, the easiest route to fighting them is using that Yoshitsune and spamming Hassou Tobi until you win.

Justine: “Our duty isn’t to kill him! Caroline!”

Caroline: “What gives…? Why am I doubting myself? Is there… another duty left to us…!?”

Igor: “I believe I ordered his execution.”

Caroline: “…”

Justine: “…”

Caroline: “Master… have you forsaken humanity?”

Justine: “We are wardens - those who rehabilitate prisoners.”

Igor: “What?”

Justine: “Something speaks to me in my mind. Our true duty is not to kill…”

Justine: “That is the truth we had forgotten.”

Caroline: “We’ve decided… we will not forsake humanity!”

Caroline: “It’s as if they’re the same… yet mirrored…”

timrodresized: Meet the reason why Caroline and Justine’s confidant cuts off on The Last Day.

Caroline: “I finally remember… how we were torn ‘apart’.”

Igor: chuckle

Caroline: “So we were captives, same as you… heh… to think we’d learn that truth from a prisoner.”

Justine: “Let us reclaim our true form!”

Justine: “You must fuse us together, with your own hands.”

timrodresized: Joker’s like: “Wait, you can fuse PEOPLE in that? Holy shit, where’s Haru, I’m going to fuse her with some bangs.”

Caroline: “It’s time you returned the favor for us assisting with your growth. Do it with care!”

timrodresized: Joker’s too busy mentally going over how he could fuse his party members. “Could I fuse Yusuke with Morgana, just enough to make Yusuke a catboy but not enough to make him horny or annoying?”

timrodresized: Meet Lavenza. In Royal, she’s the boss who replaces Caroline and Justine. She’s also SIGNIFICANTLY harder - she can pierce resistances and has a bunch of stupid rules that have to be followed.

timrodresized: Caroline and Justine realized what they were during their confidant, which is why this scene is so dumb.

Lavenza: “I was torn apart by a malevolent will and took the form of those twins. I sought help before my body was split in two.”

timrodresized: Joker: “Okay wait, you can split people too? Hold on, I need to think about this.”

Lavenza: “…I believed in you. I knew that you would make it this far. And to the scoundrel who has swindled my master’s name… your lies shall work no longer now that my sight has been restored!”

Lavenza: “Be careful.”

timrodresized: Joker could easily kill the fake Igor right now, by himself.

Igor: “If I were to put it into words that you can comprehend, I am the Holy Grail that grants wishes… no… it may be more accurate to say that I’m a god who responds to desire and holds dominion over man.”

Igor: “I hoped seeing a righteous thief vanquish evil would spur mankind to change their own indolent hearts. However… the result is as you know - the masses have made it so none of it has transpired.”

Igor: “Humans should be met with ruin: you brought forth that answer. But to be frank, Inmate, I believe it may be worth reevaluating you.”

Igor: “A human has reached the Holy Grail and has seen through my true identity… you’ve surprised the god that I am often enough. That cannot be done by a foolish commoner. You truly were a prisoner that did not bore me.”

timrodresized: But… Joker didn’t really do any of those things. Caroline and Justine were the ones who saw through the fake Igor, and Joker would’ve fucking murdered Yaldabaoth if it didn’t have cutscene powers.

timrodresized: Vishnu is honestly kinda trash. He’s the only source of the trait that reduces the cost of Wind spells by 75%, but has worse stats across the board than Baal does.

Igor: “Should you wish it, I shall return the world to its prior state - one rampant with distorted masses.”

Lavenza: “You forcefully dragged him into the Metaverse and imposed an ordeal he did not deserve… yet you still intend on toying with him!?”

Igor: “The Phantom Thieves will be praised and gain fame. The world will escape ruin as well… what say you?”

timrodresized: What Joker is actually thinking: “Wait, okay. I split Morgana from “catboy” into “cat” and “boy” and then fuse the “cat” part with Yusuke. Then we can split Haru into Haru and Haru’s Forehead and presumably toss the forehead into some kind of astral garbage can.”

timrodresized: There is a short bad ending if you accept his deal, but I really don’t feel like re-recording this given how long the cutscenes are, so here’s a video.

Lavenza: “Well said.”

Igor: “Such irredeemable foolishness… you choose death for yourself? Very well. I have no need for you.”

timrodresized: Meet the real Igor. He is voiced entirely posthumously by Isamu Tanonoka. Remember how at the end of the scene where Joker dies I said there was a synthetic voice for a good reason? That’s why.

timrodresized: Tanonoka died in 2010, before the production of Persona 4 Golden - all of the lines in Golden (and his appearances in the P4 anime) were taken from lines originally recorded for Persona 4. I believe all of the lines in Persona 5 were taken directly from Persona 4.

timrodresized: Strangely, there was a second voiceactor by the name of Takeshi Aono who played Igor in a drama CD for Persona 2 who also died… in 2012. It’s likely that they’re going to replace Igor with an older Jose in Persona 6, if and when that happens.

Lavenza: “Master!”

Igor: “Oh my… it’s been quite a while since I last stepped foot in this place… welcome to the Velvet Room. My name is Igor. I am pleased to make your acquaintance.”

Lavenza: “He is the rightful master of this Velvet Room, the true aid on your journey.”

Igor: “It may be difficult for you to understand this all at once.”

Lavenza: “If I were to summarize this, the ‘fake’ has left, and the ‘real’ has returned.”

timrodresized: In the credits, the voice of the fake Igor (Masane Tsukuyama in Japanese) is credited simply as “Warden”.

Igor: “Indeed…”

Lavenza: “My master has returned, and you won against that malevolent god’s temptation. Thus, you may be able to save this world that is headed toward certain ruin. However, it will prove difficult to win against him with your power alone…”

Igor: chuckle “This place exists between dream and reality, mind and matter…”

Lavenza: “They have not necessarily expired yet. Just as you were trapped here, they should be confined somewhere as well… since you’ve deepened your bond with them, I am certain you can release them.”

Lavenza: “Once they - the Phantom Thieves - are all gathered here… we will tell you everything.”

timrodresized: Reach out to the Truth was Persona 4, Igor.

timrodresized: Joker runs directly to Yusuke, because without him, nothing else matters.

Yusuke: “As I expected, you appear to be safe… however, where exactly are we?”

Yusuke: “Velvet…Room? I’m not sure I understand…”

Yusuke: “At first, I was surprised to see the masses chained in a prison, yet here I am as well… considering the state of the real world… it is hard to say that we were even remotely helpful…”

Yusuke: “This situation… can we truly handle such horrid circumstances? All the Phantom Thieves can do is change the hearts of others. However, the world outside has become a veritable hell. Nothing within our power can fix that…”

timrodresized: No boyfriend of Joker’s is going to give up that easily.

Yusuke: “I’m merely acknowledging how powerless I am. The people of this world desired their enslavement. That isn’t all… they screamed at us for attacking the Holy Grail, defended it…”

Yusuke: “Even the criminals whose hearts we changed became meek followers of the Holy Grail because of us. We were truly that foolish, risking our lives for a result nobody desired?”

timrodresized: Joker: “Yusuke, stop spouting anime gibberish.”

Yusuke: “I… that’s right. It wasn’t just for recognition from those we were helping. My purpose lies elsewhere… when we first met… you continued to impose yourselves on me no matter how much I pushed you away.”

Yusuke: “I will forever treasure what you did for me. …Very well! Just as art is meant to break boundaries, people should be saved even if they frown upon it. I won’t allow the justice I believe in to be shaken any further!”

Fox: “Being by your side truly gives rise to the greatest ideas!”

Fox: “Ah, yes! We cannot afford to leave reality in the hellish state it’s currently in. I will make sure of my role as an artist and paint over the distortions of society!”

Fox: “Well then, time to go and see this through. I’ll witness with my own two eyes that this world isn’t bound by some Holy Grail. Given my circumstance, I expect the others to be trapped here as well…”

Fox: “Then perhaps everyone else will be in the same state I was… Joker, I can sense no shadows nearby. I will remain on standby in this location. I request that you go save the rest of our teammates.”

Fox: “It would… likely be best if you did so alone.”

timrodresized: So here’s the thing. We have to do this once for every party member. They pretty much all have the same dialog, except adjusted to be in their ‘voice’, the way the alternate party member dialog was in Persona 1.

timrodresized: I’ll show them all off anyway, but this way you can skip the rest. We do Makoto’s last.

Futaba: “I’m relieved… looks like we’re both still alive.”

Futaba: “Am I really safe though? Shibuya… what happened? And… where are we?”

Futaba: “Velvet Room? That name sounds pretty kick-ass…”

Futaba: “I guess my fears turned out to be true… the real world is a scary place… pain like this can never reach you if you keep yourself cooped up indoors…”

timrodresized: Tell that to the guy who hides in the shipping container at the start of Resident Evil 3.

Futaba: “Who am I to think I can tell the people what to do? I mean, I used to be a shut-in myself… dammit… I just wanna go home… but even that would be tough now.”

Futaba: “Giving up would be too painful. You know, I think… I’ve changed. I don’t know when it happened… but I can’t… I can’t let people suffer like this, even if I don’t know them personally.”

Futaba: “Honestly, this all seems like a bit too much… but… but…”

Futaba: “…Mm-hm. I’ve known the right answer from the very beginning. …I don’t want to run away from this. I ran from my mom’s death for so long… I misunderstood it…”

Futaba: “Everything was just too painful for me to handle. But… I never want to be left in the dark again!”

timrodresized: I feel like it’s more her than the Persona. Baofu had the same Persona and he had no problem lighting shit on fire.

Futaba: “Because I want to learn the truth. That’s how I really feel! Well, I’ve come this far… I’ll follow you wherever you go, on my own two feet!”

Oracle: “…Thanks. I’m so happy. Like, so much that I can’t even express it in my normal words! Anyway, we’re going up against a god. I couldn’t even leave my own room before, but now we’re gonna beat a god! I’m so pumped!”

Oracle: “And wait a sec… I just noticed I got out of here on my own! Tadaaaah! A real jailbreak!”

Oracle: “Whoa, you’re quick to act! That’s what makes you dependable! All right, time to get back at it!”

timrodresized: She gives the same speech about us having to save everyone else, which I’ll skip because it’s generic dialog. Not that the entire thing we just saw wasn’t.

Ann: “Thank goodness you’re safe…”

Ann: “Oh, yeah… huh… so I’m not in heaven after all… that means the hell that Shibuya turned into was all real…”

timrodresized: Heaven was another song that blows all of the Persona 5 dungeon themes out of the water. Persona 4 had some really good dungeon tracks. It also had a REALLY good remix.

Ann: “…I’m so weak. When I thought I was gonna die, I… started trembling. I was just so scared. At that moment, nothing mattered. The justice of our actions was the last thing on my mind.”

timrodresized: So what you’re saying is that you can’t get your mind out of those memories? Now you’re trying to tell them ‘don’t take my dream’?

Ann: “Joker… you kept going even through a plan that might have ended up killing you. Yet look at me. I’ve always said I’m doing this for other people, but that didn’t get me far…”

Ann: “Haha, it’s no wonder we lost. Maybe I should’ve just behaved myself and stayed out of all this…”

Ann: “That’s… you’re right. I could never abandon her. If I whine like this now, I’d just be betraying Shiho… no, I’d be betraying myself! I could never forget how I felt that day.”

Ann: “I…I never want anyone to have to go through what I did! I’ve made up my mind. I’m going to keep looking forward. Things like dying or losing aren’t important now. All that matters is that I don’t return to my old self.”

Ann: “…I’ll never make a mistake like that again. I swear it!”

Panther: “Gotcha, Joker! It would be a disgrace to the John Persona name if we didn’t take such a big Treasure! We’re going to put an end to this, aren’t we? Let’s go!”

Haru: “You’re safe… oh, thank goodness!”

timrodresized: Joker: “Okay Haru listen I found a way to cure your godawful haircut, I need you to get in the guillotine Haru. It makes sense I swear.”

Haru: “R-Right… considering everything that has happened to the city, I wonder if the citizenry is okay… although, it seemed like we were the only ones able to see it…”

Haru: “You know, the moment I disappeared, I honestly thought I was about to die. But… part of me wasn’t afraid. I knew that was all I could do… and looked forward to apologizing to Father face to face…”

timrodresized: Is there even an afterlife in the SMT universe? I mean, other than becoming a ghost and telling the Demifiend to fuck off?

Haru: “Honestly, I thought I had changed, but I realize now that I still have no control over my life… it makes me sick…”

Haru: “I’m sorry. I know you don’t want to deal with my whining… you’re going to try and defeat that thing again, aren’t you? Don’t push yourself to get me to come along. You can always leave me here if I’ll slow you down…”

timrodresized: Does she really think Joker would leave her when we have Ryuji and Morgana to leave behind?

Haru: “That’s…”

Haru: “Even if there are times where I think there’s nothing I can do… I’ll never stop fighting for you, or our team! …I won’t give up anymore.”

Haru: “Just as I betrayed my distorted father before, I will betray my boring former self now!”

Noir: “Before I met you, I had great admiration for the Phantom Thieves of Justice… and… it’s turned out you were exactly the person I always imagined you would be.”

Noir: “This is the second time you’ve rescued me. I’ve secretly longed for a situation like this.”

Noir: “We haven’t lost yet.”

Ryuji: “Looks like we’re both somehow still alive and kickin’… but… where at?”

Ryuji: “Huh? Velvet…? Man, this prison cell kinda makes me think of when we first met…”

Ryuji: “And remember how Shibuya was all effed up just now? But like, nobody was seein’ any of it. No, it was more like they didn’t wanna see any of it. What the hell…”

Ryuji: “So even all them people who were sufferin’, and cheerin’ for us to come and help ‘em… in reality, they would’ve rather just had everything stay how it was? Did what we were doin’ have any meanin’ at all?”

timrodresized: I mean, when push came to shove… no. Not really. That’s the biggest flaw in this game’s godawful plot.

Ryuji: “Haha, you’re so freakin’ tough… Y’know, back when I thought we were gonna die without learnin’ the truth about all this… I kinda felt for the first time that maybe we hadn’t been doin’ the right thing…”

timrodresized: This feels like Hashino reading back through his script, realizing it’s a fucking trainwreck, and then realizing it’s too late to do anything about it and that he’s going to have to live with it.

Ryuji: “That maybe we deserved to lose… you get me?”

Ryuji: “Now that I’m thinkin’ about it, I started all this ‘cause of how pissed off I was. Maybe it’s never been about winnin’ or anything like that… maybe all I was doin’ was continuin’ my own defiance…”

Ryuji: “Akira… haha… you’re right. I get it now… we’re doin’ this to make sure people don’t gotta go through the same crap we did. It doesn’t matter if they think we’re just or not. We gotta do what we believe in!”

Ryuji: “Heh, and it’s not like people think much of me anyways. I’m gonna dash through this the only way I know how!”

Skull: “Thanks… y’know, it’s kinda embarrassin’ to say this, but I’m real glad I met you. All right, I’m done gettin’ my ass kicked! That shiny bastard acts like it’s some kinda god… I ain’t gonna feel good 'til we deal with it.”

Skull: “Let’s head out. We’re gonna take down that asshole, yeah?”

Makoto: “What a relief. You’re safe!”

Makoto: “Huh? I, um… by the way, why have you remained in your phantom thief attire while I am back in regular clothes? Could this mean that the will of rebellion is no longer within me?”

timrodresized: I like to think that Joker has already left and she’s monologue-ing at nothing.

Makoto: “…That may be true. We have to fight that Holy Grail again, correct? Could you imagine defeating it, Joker? That monster has the support of the masses, and with it, nearly an infinite amount of power…”

Makoto: “I… no matter which way I approach the subject in my head, nothing points to our victory.”

timrodresized: This entire monologue sounds like it was ripped straight out of one of those pages in Akagi where Washizu is fantasizing about being a god.

Makoto: “I think I finally, genuinely understand the pain my father and my sister were burdened with… victory against a single criminal is meaningless… the true enemy is society itself.”

timrodresized: Shut the fuck up! Shut up! Fuck! Stop with the goddamn pseudo-intellectual bullshit!

Makoto: “And even against that foe, you still have to try to somehow emerge victorious. I don’t know what to do…”

Makoto: “Believe… in myself… hm… chuckle You got me. Regardless, this isn’t a situation with a straightforward answer… but even if there is no clear solution, I’ll just have to make one… with my own two hands.”

Makoto: “Before you guys came along, my life was defined by rules, set on a path of someone else’s choosing… but only a true loser would live such a rigid life!”

Makoto: “I… I will win… even if it means going up against the entire world!”

Queen: “I want the people of the world to see what you’ve shown me!”

Queen: “Right! Thank you. Having teammates you can trust is a great feeling. Shall we go? We can’t let our last big job end in failure!”

Queen: “Huh? Whose voice was that? Joker, did you already rescue the others?”

Queen: “Mona? What do you mean?”

timrodresized: Has she already forgotten who Morgana is?

Queen: “Who’re they?”

Igor: “My name is Igor. I am the master of the Velvet Room.”

Lavenza: “I am Lavenza, a resident of this place as well. We have been waiting for all of you.”

Noir: “Velvet Room?”

timrodresized: Metal Gear!?

Lavenza: “My master has just been released from a long period of imprisonment. His powers have not fully returned. Though it may be presumptuous of me, I will speak on his-”

Panther: “Hey, where’s Morgana?”

Lavenza: “Would you like to see him?”

Lavenza: “…He’s right over there.”

timrodresized: Here’s the funny part of this. You can go right past this cell while running around looking for the party, and you won’t see Morgana there. The only place he could hide in there is in the toilet, so…

Morgana: “I… was born here. It was to dispel an evil being from man’s spiritual world…”

Oracle: “Mona?”

Morgana: “My role was to find the Trickster and help him defeat it. That’s why I was created here by my master.”

Igor: “Indeed.”

Morgana: “I really remember everything. When this place was about to be taken over, my master gathered the last traces of mankind’s hope. …He mustered up his remaining strength to make me.”

timrodresized: Yes, this technically makes Morgana a servant of Philemon by proxy.

Lavenza: “The entity that calls itself a god is a malevolent will that forces man into everlasting servitude. It hopes to attain eternal peace by filling reality with those who have stopped thinking for themselves.”

timrodresized: It wants the Millennium Kingdom. That’s exactly what the Millennium Kingdom is.

Lavenza: “…That is the ruin of man that this evil god envisions.”

Skull: “I…um…don’t get what you’re sayin’ at all-”

Lavenza: “Be quiet and listen! We don’t have much time left!”

Queen: “Wait a moment. The Holy Grail is… a ‘god’? I was wondering why it had a will of its own, but are you implying that it isn’t a Treasure?”

Lavenza: “No. As the distorted desires of the masses, it is most certainly the core of Mementos itself.”

Noir: “Then… did the Treasure become a god because people wished to be ruled over?”

Lavenza: “That is correct. To decide the fate of the world, it chose two people and pitted them against each other. One - Goro Akechi - incited the masses’ distortion. Had he won, the world would have been destroyed and remade.”

Lavenza: “The other was a Trickster who would stand up against this… that was Akira Kurusu.”

timrodresized: Fuck this shit! This is word for fucking word the plot to Persona 4. This is what happens when you take a creatively bankrupt fuckhead like Hashino and put him in charge of fucking anything!

Morgana: “If Akira won, the human world would be left as is… those were the conditions of the game - at least, that’s what should’ve happened.”

timrodresized: Right here, I’d like to paraphrase a quote from Mahjong Legend Akagi. The quote is: “If my intention was to not honor the bet, why would I have made the bet in the first place!?”

timrodresized: This plot point worked in Persona 4 specifically because Izanami intended to honor the bet. It doesn’t work at all if the bet was pointless to begin with!

Lavenza: “That malevolent being knew that a revolution would not occur within indolent humans. After all, it is the masses’ distorted desires incarnate. However, my true master believed in humanity.”

Lavenza: “He believed that a Trickster would rise among the people and accomplish this change. But that evil entity laughed at the prospect, and sought to prove the powerlessness of man with the game.”

timrodresized: And this is Hashino’s weak-ass reason for the Demiurge not simply going full on YHVH immediately - she’s talking about Philemon… which would also make this a direct ripoff of Innocent Sin.

timrodresized: But that makes even less sense! The whole point of Nyarlathotep’s bet in Innocent Sin was that he knew he could break the rules as much as he wanted and Philemon would still honor the bet!

Lavenza: “And Akira Kurusu had great potential… which is why it approached him. It helped train the Trickster, only to cast him into despair, using the masses who rejected their savior.”

timrodresized: WHY!? That doesn’t make any fucking sense! None of this makes any fucking sense! The Demiurge’s entire plan is to not honor the bet! Did it even train Akechi? I’m guessing it didn’t… or maybe it did, given how incompetent it seems to be.

Lavenza: “This was likely its means to nip in the bud anything that would pose a threat. Now that I think back to when I was separated, I felt a disagreement to the word ‘rehabilitation’.”

timrodresized: I… don’t get it. You’re telling me the Demiurge trained Joker as an insurance policy… against what!? If anything, that statement only makes sense if you assume someone ELSE trained Joker! Fuck!

Lavenza: “Of course I did… it was just a means for the fake to keep you under surveillance.”

Morgana: “Basically, this guy was dragged into a game where the evil god rigged the outcome.”

timrodresized: Except it didn’t rig the outcome, because Joker just beat it to within an inch of its life!

Skull: “Dammit, what the hell!?”

timrodresized: Oh, right. Isn’t this just Persona 1 now?

Lavenza: “You do not exist because reality is replete with the cognition of those who deny the Phantom Thieves. It can be said that the world is one step away from the evil god’s machinations.”

Lavenza: “However, there is still hope, Akira Kurusu… now that the evil god’s identity has been exposed, you can see your rehabilitation to its completion. Only you can leave this prison and save this distorted world and its captive people…”

Lavenza: “Young man, guided by Morgana and worthy of the Trickster name… you must challenge the evil god and reclaim your existence in reality. Are you up to the task?”

timrodresized: At the end of the day, this is another generic Dragon Quest “hero must defeat the Demon Lord” plot.

Skull: “Let’s destroy that annoying, shiny Treasure jerk for sure this time!”

Igor: “Excellent… there is nothing to fear. You already possess the strength to oppose this evil god.”

Lavenza: “Our mutual friend knows where the exit is. Morgana, please guide them. And thank you for all that you’ve done. It’s a cruel responsibility that’s been cast upon you…”

Morgana: “I will accept your words of appreciation fully when everything is over. Now follow me!”

Morgana: “That’s our exit. Come on, let’s go.”

Panther: “Oh, right… this is where we were when our bodies disappeared.”

Queen: “It seems like people still haven’t realized that this abnormality has taken over the city…”

Fox: “If I remember correctly, this is that Quarantine Cell…”

Morgana: “That’s right. It was actually the Velvet Room, which had been swallowed by the distortions.”

Noir: “You did say you were born in there… it makes so much sense now.”

Skull: “Wait… so if we came outta there, does that mean WE’RE the criminals!? No, it’s more like Akira! Since he was kept in here!”

Morgana: “Most likely, Joker had been under the malicious guidance of the evil god for quite some time. The Velvet Room originally existed to nurture the human mind, but after it was taken over…”

Oracle: “Uh, Mona… more importantly…”

Morgana: “It’s probably because my memories have returned. I know what my duty is now.”

Panther: “This is different from how it was before. Do they see us?”

Queen: “It doesn’t seem to be everyone though. Only a handful of people in this large crowd.”

Skull: “Maybe it’s 'cause of Mona’s light!”

Noir: “Either way, they remember the Phantom Thieves!”

Oracle: “The key of hope…”

Fox: “Mona, guide us. Where must we go?”

Morgana: “The bastard from earlier should be in that temple!”

Skull: “Heh, it’s nice knowin’ there aren’t gonna be any bullshit traps or nothing this time! All right, let’s get movin’!”

timrodresized: This area is basically a hallway with a gauntlet of near-identical bosses in it.

timrodresized: There’s an axe for Haru and a piece of armor off to the sides, but we don’t give a fuck.

timrodresized: I’m going to skip the dialog here, because it’s that kind of generic “Uh-oh, Joker! There’s a boss ahead! Are you ready?” dialog.

Panther: “You’re the one who’s disturbing it!”

timrodresized: Is he mad about me fusing him into Lucifer? I bet he’s mad because I fused him into Lucifer.

Morgana: “It’s useless trying to reason with this guy! Let’s beat him and break through here!”

timrodresized: The four bosses we’re about to fight are all identical: they’re blobs of HP with high magic defense that are neutral to everything but Bless.

timrodresized: They also get two actions per turn, which Uriel uses to summon his harem.

timrodresized: This is after charged and buffed attacks by Yusuke and Makoto.

timrodresized: Yoshitsune just kinda shits on everything.

Skull: “Took 'em long enough!”

Queen: “I can’t believe they didn’t notice until the danger was so close to them…”

Morgana: “Things are going to get even worse from here on out… the entire city has stopped functioning. At least they can still panic for now…”

timrodresized: There’s something kinda fucked up about that last line.

Panther: “If people still don’t act for themselves after seeing all this… I’m sorry, but they’re hopeless!”

Morgana: “In any case, let’s head to the temple!”

Morgana: “The people in the city recognized us, so it’s only natural we’d draw the enemy’s attention as well.”

Skull: “Well they can bring it on! I’m startin’ to get fired up!”

timrodresized: This area has some very annoying enemies, including Abaddon (except stronger) and Mara. Almost none of them have a weakness.

timrodresized: I grab an alarm and fuse Vishnu. While my original intention was to fuse him back to Baal, we don’t really have the money for that - mostly because there’s an intermediate step and I’d have to delete at least two Personas that I’d then have to pay to resummon.

New Persona: Vishnu

Origin: India

First Appearance: Megami Tensei II

Primary deity in Hinduism. Serves as a neutral point between Brahma and Shiva, and is responsible for ending the world and remaking it at the end of each aeon. Has hundreds of different forms ranging from a fish to the archer Rama, whose name may be familiar if you’ve played Hades.

timrodresized: By the way, Lavenza does a dance during fusion alarms as well. Anyway, several annoying random encounters later…

Morgana: “Come on, let’s beat this one too! More people should notice the Phantom Thieves if we just make ourselves seen!”

Noir: “That’s exactly what we want!”

timrodresized: Like Uriel, Raphael is a big blob of magic defense - except he prefers to buff himself and charge instead of summoning.

timrodresized: He instakills Ann and then tries to do the same to Joker. You know, you’d think that jumping up toward the sword would not be the best way to avoid that.

timrodresized: One last area here in Airborne Valley of Defilement.

timrodresized: Here, we run into the treasure demon for this area - Crystal Skull. I guess this explains those people turning into shadowmen.

timrodresized: Now, I know what you’re thinking. “Wait, doesn’t Gabriel have Ali Dance?” No. In fact, the opposite happens.

timrodresized: Joker: “You’re lying! I know the real Gabriel!”

Oracle: “Mercy? Don’t make me laugh! If you had mercy, you’d never be doing this to the world!”

timrodresized: Compared to Raphael, Gabriel is a joke. She primarily attacks with Divine Judgement… which is incapable of killing anyone because it only reduces the target’s remaining HP by half.

timrodresized: Gabriel gets two actual damage spells in, neither of which hits anyone.

timrodresized: That’s a reflect, not Joker being hit.

timrodresized: They will look up at Joker and cry “Save us!” and Joker will look down and whisper “Okay sure but make sure you legalize gay marriage.”

Fox: “Indeed. Though they may not be true ‘servants of God’, they do live up to that moniker…”

Noir: “I wonder if the people in the city will be okay…”

Queen: “I hope so. Given what is happening to this world… nobody can be considered a stranger anymore…”

Panther: “Yeah, that’s why we can’t lose… there’s only one thing we gotta do!”

Morgana: “Well said, Lady Ann! Let’s keep going!”

timrodresized: This last area has a Soma in it. You might have noticed that the party’s SP has been a little low. There’s no warp points between the start of Blighttown and here, so this can be helpful.

timrodresized: On the other side is a scarf for Morgana that comes with Regenerate 2.

timrodresized: Joker: “I call bullshit! Michael is in my Persona storage right now!”

Panther: “So that means you’re the last one who’s gonna get in our way!”

Fox: “Not everyone wants that thing ruling over us!”

Morgana: “Like granting that wish is justice either! How can you say people are free when they’re chained up in prisons in this broken world!?”

Noir: “If someone has lost their way, it’s our job to help them come to their senses!”

timrodresized: I’m pretty sure that’s supposed to be a comma between “So” and “No sacrilege is beneath thee” unless the rules of punctuation do not apply to angels.

timrodresized: Michael is another giant blob of HP and magic defense.

timrodresized: He can charge and hit for what’s probably an instakill, but fails to hit Yusuke.

timrodresized: We even get a Showtime, but that’s not enough to finish him.

Skull: “No more of that Holy Grail shit doing whatever it wants!”

Morgana: “Let’s go!”

Oracle: “I’m not sensing any more enemies nearby, Joker. This is probably gonna be our last chance to prep ourselves.”

Fox: “We cannot lose now. Let us ensure we do not have any regrets as we head toward the final battle.”

timrodresized: We’ll do the final battle next update, as it consists of (and is followed by) several very lengthy cutscenes. Anyway, remember how I said we don’t give a shit that Makoto has all of 3 SP left? That’s because once you kill Michael, you get a warp point that puts you in his boss arena.

timrodresized: Going back to Lavenza gives you a full HP and SP refill. Next time, we’ll kill God.

timrodresized: Oh, right. The music that plays during this entire boss rush segment (including during the boss fights) is the full version of Life Will Change. I like that they kept this and didn’t cop out with Colors Flying High instead.

Music Life Will Change

Yeah, I really should go back and do that. It’s mostly that I didn’t feel like sitting through the entire interrogation room cutscene a second time.

Yeah but P3 had the Dark Hour and… wait a second, it’s a fucking ripoff of the Dark Hour too! Fuck!

Yaldabaoth: “What the fuck!? How are you even alive!? I fucking erased you from existence!”

Joker: “You forgot to erase my ‘Cute Boyfriend Things’ account. Dipshit.”

Summary

timrodresized: Let’s take a look at the bad endings. I had to use my base game saves for this rather than the Royal ones, because I accidentally deleted my 11/19 save while leaving the 11/20 save (which is after the bad ending).

timrodresized: Just like in the canon route, Sae will ask Joker to strike a deal and will then read off the names of the party members. Now, let’s imagine that instead of Joker denying everything…

timrodresized: Joker instead opts to sell out Makoto to save Yusuke, Ann, Haru and Futaba.

timrodresized: The game will immediately notify you that you have fucked up and give you a chance to un-fuck.

Sae: “…As I thought. You’ve made a wise choice. Thank you. I’ll do my best with what you’ve told me. I honestly expected you to have more of a backbone… it seems your reputation precedes you.”

timrodresized: The camera will linger on Joker for a full fifteen seconds or so. Everything from here up until when Akechi shoots Joker is identical… except for a thought bubble where Joker says something like “Shit I fucked up” that I forgot to capture.

timrodresized: This dialog is the same as the dialog we saw at the beginning of Update 101, when Joker woke up after being erased by Yaldabaoth… except…

timrodresized: You may have fucked up, but at least you can wake up every morning, get out of bed, look in the mirror and go “At least I’m not Hashino.”

timrodresized: So yeah, that’s not much of a bad ending. That’s because I had it confused for a different bad ending, which is the one that happens if you don’t defeat Shido in time.

timrodresized: Of all the bad endings for not doing the palaces, Shido’s is really the only unique one… other than the expansion dungeon. All of the other “time out” bad endings are just the video of Akechi shooting Joker with a filter on the voice.

timrodresized: Because I am far too lazy to sit through all that shit, I borrowed some footage from a small Youtuber going by SieffrePlays, who has somehow made it through Tales of Zestiria twice. He mostly uploads uncommentated playthroughs of JRPGs that are so bad even I couldn’t survive them.

timrodresized: I was actually considering dunking on Tales of Zestiria because it’s laughably bad, but I don’t think I could sit through it. This is also from the base game.

timrodresized: You can tell that Sieffre is a fucking chad because he picked the Akira Kurusu name. The video is dated in 2019 so he definitely could’ve picked Ren Amamiya.

timrodresized: God dammit, Hashino.

timrodresized: There are two more unique bad endings in the game, not counting the one I posted the video of for if you accept Yaldabaoth’s deal.

timrodresized: One is for accepting a deal with the villain of the expansion content. The other is for failing to kill said villain. We’ll see those after we kill God.

How is Akechi supposed to be Yaldabaoth’s champion in this? Because he’s a detective? Is God about to start telling us how the people have fallen into sloth and indolence because they don’t solve mysteries for themselves but expect Columbo to do it for them by repeatedly asking humble questions?

Have an extremely localized plot that balloons out at the end to encompass the fate of humanity has never been a good idea.

“There’s just one thing that’s not clear ta me…” holds up entire Persona 5 script

You cross the Sanzu River River Styx and reload from last save.

Is it possible to secure the route to Shido‘s treasure and still get a bad ending by failing to send the calling card in time? Is there a separate scene for this without Akechi?