Can I use a stream for opening episodes or should I start again from scratch?

Hello, long time LP watcher, first time poster.

I did a small impromptu stream for murder mystery game The Deed about a month ago and I’ve put the edited vids on my youtube channel, it was only meant to be a one-off at first but now I think it would make really good material for a proper LP. My question is, would it be acceptable to use the stream vids for the opening episodes of the LP or should I start totally fresh and make new completely new starting vids?
Here’s the first video I put up for reference: https://youtu.be/ALjcCznkZgE

Please also let me know if there are any other improvements I could make. I realise the game footage does lag a bit but that seems to be due to my poor internet connection for streaming.

It’s really up to you. If you feel that the stream videos are of good enough quality to be the first part of your full LP, then run with them. If not, then record new videos.

Short answer, it should be fine if there’s nothing you’d want to change.

Long answer, I think you have to ask yourself, “What benefit do I get out of redoing this first episode.” Do you have new knowledge about the game that you feel could be better served in the first episode? Is your formatting for rest of the episodes going to be the same as this stream? If not, it might look a little strange.

I mean, it really comes down how do you want to present the game. If it’s through streams then yeah keep this video. If you’re going for a post-commentary approach then maybe re-shoot.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick feedback! I was really asking the question more just to make sure I wasn’t committing some sort of LP faux pas. The thing is, I really like the way the videos that I’ve already done have come out and I would just stream it but unfortunately I seem to have trouble smoothly broadcasting games live, either due to my bad laptop or slow connection.

The plan going forward is to hopefully get some co-commentators in for the newer vids so hopefully the change in style shouldn’t be too jarring. Thanks again for the advice!

Just a heads up that when I tried to use stream recordings for an LP, I was asked to have it moved to the Stream sub-forum. I’m not sure if having only the opening episodes be from a stream bypasses this, but I’d check with @moderators. In any case, I’m sure you can post it on the forums, it’s just the sub-forum might be different.

Right, cheers for the heads up, I’ll check with them first.