At 2,000 Pages, This Is Not Your Average Film Script - Let's Play Beyond: Two Souls [Chronologically]

fuck

1 Like

Wow. Fuck David Cage.

Also, is this set in the deep south or did Jodie just stumble upon the Bar of Evil Rednecks?

1 Like

I’m fairly certain that the portion of the game we’ve seen thus far has been set in the D.C. area. With the decent snowfall in the beginning of the game and the fact that we’re on a military base with the HQ of the DPA and a major government organization yet to get themselves involved, it at least shouldn’t be anywhere in the South.

So I’m like… really late, but regarding something you say in update 6. I know it was likely a joke, but children can in fact have the government be their legal guardian. In that case they are either ward of the state or ward of the court depending on what country you’re in.

1 Like

Binged my way through this. I’m not going to lie, I think the chronological start would make a good opening to a story. The whole “child with strange powers” plot is done a lot, but I think it’s a decent enough set up. And ending that opening with Jodie channeling the spirits of the dead is really cool; as soon as the audience gets used to her powers, there’s one last wrinkle thrown in.

Of course, if I’m looking at the penultimate scene of the game and my first thought is, “That’s a neat way to open your game,” that’s not a great sign.

And as soon as the time skip happens, whatever potential that was there is gone. Teens are already irrational, how do you go beyond even that? We’ve at least got the story beats of shitty teens, but none of the dialogue or the delivery works!

1 Like

update

:siren: Content Warning :siren:
This video contains the following:

• Lots of Death
  • Simulated Suicide

(These two things come up a lot from here on out, so what you see in this video should give you an idea of what to expect in the future.)

10 - The Condenser

lpz%2010%20ulpz%2010%20c

A year later (in-game) and it’s finally time to see what happens when a chapter is actually… good??? Yes. Unironically. I think this chapter is at least incredibly… alright.

I mean, first off, we get to the actual plot of the story and see where that takes us. No more brooding over Jodie’s childhood; (Please note that the brooding is actually far from over.) but rather, we get to see a narrative start to form, so let’s hold on to it while we can. It may be fleeting…

Let me know if you all feel the same way about this chapter and whether its change of structure and feeling and… everything would have made a cooler game if it weren’t for all of the not great stuff we’ve seen up until this point.

3 Likes

Well that was interesting. Spoilering my thoughts so as to not spoil the episode.

My main immediate problem with this chapter is the “nothing like it before” part. All of this information is relatively easy to understand, but…how do they KNOW about it? Where did it come from? Did the studies on Jodie really give them enough information to rip open a portal to the ghost zone? It feels in media res, which is the point given how this story actually structures itself, but it’s a weird place to start all the supernatural ghost fighter shit that…Jodie will apparently and sadly not be doing in the future.

While I don’t know the details, I know Farenheit gets to ridiculous supernatural power fights and people tend to dunk on it for it, but I think with the right tone and the right build up this game could of made it work. Jodie starts out as the victim and antagonist of a personal horror film, and we see how she lives and grows with that, eventually becoming some sort of ghost super hero. It’d be neat. Instead we have…whatever we go to from here, I suppose.

An as an aside, person with strange ghostly power that stands beside them, working with a secret government organization that knows way more than it lets on, a main character who’s name starts with Jo? Maybe I’m just projecting, but something about this smells…bizarre. In all seriousness I think this sort of set up could make for an interesting Jojo game, at least potentially.

2 Likes

My assumption is that these “ghosts” or whatever aren’t really new to the government and that they might’ve been experimenting with them way before Jodie was born.The thing that makes Jodie special is that she can “control” one of them.

1 Like

This entire thread has been filled with conjecture that I want to comment on SO BAD because of what has been said or guessed at, but we’ll just have to wait until we hit the right parts. It’s gonna be a very interesting ride.

Also, the idea of Aiden being Jodie’s stand is fantastic!

1 Like

The only problem is that “Aiden” isn’t a good stand name, so he’ll need a new one.

I vote for「Air Supply」It’s an ironic name.

2 Likes

I vote Aiden’s stand name be annoying little brother. That or Soul bound.

2 Likes

Obviously it should be Third Eye Blind. It’s powers are all various ESPer abilities, so it fits.

4 Likes

I put both not enough and too much work into this…

6 Likes

If I was good at art I’d for sure as hell draw this legit.

See this is the proper response to David Cage’s wackadoo nonsense. Replace it with even better and good nonsense.

update

Another double update because you deserve it (and because the videos are short again)!

11 - Separation

lpz%2011%20ulpz%2011%20c

We’re thrust into yet another abrupt change of pace, and we were finally getting to some fun science stuff…

12 - Welcome to the CIA

lpz%2012%20ulpz%2012%20c

Were you expecting Jodie to become a trained killer under the guidance of the government? …no? Well then, it’s time to adjust those expectations!

And, once again, it’s…

POLL TIME!!!

For next week’s update, we’ve got a couple of choices for an upcoming chapter, and I’m once again going to leave it up to all of you.

First up, we miss a first date dinner at a fancy restaurant with someone, and we offer to prepare dinner for them at our new apartment instead. What should we make for them?

• Asian Beef
  • Chicken Curry
  • Delivery Pizza
  • (Hidden Fourth Option)

0 voters

Then, we have to decide what Jodie should wear, so what style should we go for if we want to impress?

• Cool
  • Sexy
  • Elegant

0 voters

There’s no time to waste, so get to choosing because both polls will close Sunday, March 18th 12PM ET (4PM GMT)!!!

4 Likes

I have a suspicion that David Cage thinks that the CIA is a division of the US military.

Why, oh why, was there not an option to just try to ignore Nathan and let Aiden try to kill the CIA guy?

2 Likes

David Cage I meant what I said as a joke oh my god why did you actually do this to your game.

That aside, I like Jodie’s fashion in episode 11, and I feel like if you instead had us do more of those readings from objects and had this scene be placed instead of the stupid bar scene, it could be interesting. Build up to this idea that she has these slowly getting stronger powers, show her saving the day at that science lab and THEN have the fucking military recruit her to be their ESPer assassins. If you REALLY want to go that way.

I was gonna comment that “keep your fat ass down” line felt like stage direction by David Cage but you beat me to it. It seems entirely likely that is part of why this montage goes on for as long as it does.

I feel like if you write a story about a girl who’s tortured by ghosts and has vaguely spiritual, maybe dead sibling ESPer powers who learns to take those fears and learns and grows into a badass, and you make me not like it, you’ve failed as a writer. Just as an aside.

2 Likes

This continues my previous aside about how to make a compelling story. You can’t just show us bad shit time and time again. We need moments where things are good. Like stated in the video, give us a chapter of Jodie just hanging out and having fun with Nathan and Cole. Heck show us going on a shopping trip to decorate Jodie’s room. Because at least there’s enough detail to show that it has changed since she was younger.

Instead all we’re given is “and then Jodie’s life is shit,” “and then Jodie’s life sucks,” “and then she ends up maybe killing people,” “and then she saves the day but sees how so many innocent people die and nearly dies herself,” “and then Jodie’s life is shit some more.”

If you want us to feel bad for Jodie we need to see the good times that she’s being taken from. Make it feel like this is the worst thing that could happen. Because so far, all it’s been is bad after bad after bad after bad. Why does it matter? It’s just more bad stuff. Nothing new.

And I realize that this isn’t in the order the game intended. But if there are scenes where things seem pretty alright, which I’m highly doubtful of at this point, it doesn’t change whats going on when we jump back to her being young. It’s still just bad bad bad bad bad. That’s not interesting storytelling. Heck, I don’t even think you can call it story telling. Stories have highs and lows. And so far this story has been nothing but lows. Unless you REALLY like seeing children cry, David Cage.

3 Likes

David Cage doesn’t exactly understand darkness induced apathy i think. Aside from that when was training guy that jodie looks up to introduced? He seemed to come out of nowhere along with jodie’s desire of approval from him.

1 Like

So far in this game, a lot of stuff has happened to Jodie. In just a few chapters, that’s going to change and it’s going to be bad. Real bad. In a way that we haven’t seen from this game before, because once this game goes beyond the scope of what we’ve seen, it so sloppily handles its own story that it’s fucking jarring.

I’m being as vague as I can here so as to not spoil anything, but I will say this: David Cage doesn’t believe the CIA to be the good guys. That much will be clear.

1 Like