Astrid and the Hollow Heart [CYOA]

I want to suggest hitting them over the head with the shovel and tying them up with our belt, but I am hesitant because they might not be superduper evil. If they are evil, we will loose our chance to take em by surprise.

Eh, damn it, let’s be safe and apologise profusely if we are wrong; Whack and tie

[quote=“Thesaya, post:122, topic:2025, full:true”]
I want to suggest hitting them over the head with the shovel and tying them up with our belt, but I am hesitant because they might not be superduper evil. If they are evil, we will loose our chance to take em by surprise.

Eh, damn it, let’s be safe and apologise profusely if we are wrong; Whack and tie
[/quote]You creep up along the path to the sleeping figure as quietly as you can and loom over them. They are wrapped in a dark cloak with a hood and you can’t see their face.

You raise the shovel above your head, you’ve had this thing for ages and it wasn’t new when you got it. You think for a moment back to all the hard work it’s put in over the years.

You swing. Hard.

##CRAAACKK!!!

A gout of blood sprays out of the hood across the forest floor as the spade smashes into the head of the figure. The middle of the shovel’s handle snaps at the impact and the lower half bounces off into the underbrush.

You stand for a moment, the broken handle in your hand, a pool of blood slowly spreading around the figure’s head.

Suddenly, one of the figure’s arms lashes out at an unnatural angle and their hand wraps around your right ankle! The grip is like iron and the fingers dig into your boot. The figure has otherwise not moved.

What now???

Stab the arm with the broken end of the shovel. We’ll have to fuss about for the other section of the shovel later. And get some tape.

[quote=“Fefnir, post:124, topic:2025, full:true”]
Stab the arm with the broken end of the shovel. We’ll have to fuss about for the other section of the shovel later. And get some tape.
[/quote]You slam the broken handle into the figure’s forearm. It splinters into the flesh and loosens the grip just enough for you to pull away. You step back a couple steps to break the grip and shuffle into a fighting stance. The handle is in even worse shape, it’s only about two feet long now and has several long cracks up its length. Another blow would probably render it completely useless.

As you step away, the figure on the ground plants their feet in the dirt and whips upright in a horribly unnatural fashion. They turns to face you, dark blood trailing down their cloak. You can see its mouth, grinning a wicked, discolored grin through its pallid lips.

They throws their pack to the ground and in the same motion pulls out of it a sword with a long, elegant blade. The blade grows with a faint lavender aura.

That’s… your sword! The figure raises the sword and lunges at you!

You are being menaced! How do you react?

Hey, my instinct was right! …although much bloodier than intended, they must have a very fragile skull.

…eeeh, kick them at their centre mass and try to wrestle the sword from them.

You meet the lunge and lash out with your boot, slaming it right in the chest of your foe. You hear a crack and gear the wind rush out of their mouth as you collapse their lung and think you have the best of them but it doesn’t stop their assault at all!

Before you can get a hand up to grab, the sword gets a solid hit on your right bicep!

You feel a sharp jolt through your arm as some sort of magical energy is expelled by the blow and are absolutely thrown away from the blade as it strikes you. You hit the ground and roll several feet before scrambling back to your feet. Your arm is completely numb and you can’t move it at all, it hangs limp at your side.

You quickly assess your arm, your sleeve is torn where you were struck but you don’t see any blood and it doesn’t look like it’s broken.

The figure shambles toward you, still grinning, sword swinging wildly as it approaches. You’ve got a good six feet between you. The shovel handle is still in your left hand.

Your right arm is paralyzed?! What now?

Throw the shovel at their head and then as they react rush towards them and grab the sword by the blade.
Normally we’d use both hands but my friends in the thread didn’t know you could grab edged weapons by the blade.
Anyway, Assuming just grabbing the blade doesn’t also paralyze our free hand we will attempt to use our stubborn willpower to bring life back into our right arm so we can blade grasp with both hands. If we can do that we’ll do our best to control where this person’s weapon can go (as shown in the video) and try to wrest the sword away from them with all the strength we have.
Unless it numbs our other arm on touch in which case whoops I fucked us sorry.

Jenner i need some randomness and my dice aren’t nearby. Roll me a die and post a pic I know you got some handy. Whatever kinda die you want i don’t care.

Ok! One moment.

Edit:

I rolled a 9 on a d12.

[quote=“Jenner, post:128, topic:2025”]
Throw the shovel at their head and then as they react rush towards them and grab the sword by the blade.
Normally we’d use both hands but my friends in the thread didn’t know you could grab edged weapons by the blade.
Anyway, Assuming just grabbing the blade doesn’t also paralyze our free hand we will attempt to use our stubborn willpower to bring life back into our right arm so we can blade grasp with both hands. If we can do that we’ll do our best to control where this person’s weapon can go (as shown in the video) and try to wrest the sword away from them with all the strength we have.
Unless it numbs our other arm on touch in which case whoops I fucked us sorry.
[/quote]The axe handle whips out of your hand toward the cloaked figure and catches them square across the face. The wood shatters into pieces as it hits and the figure staggers back. You rush forward and shoulder the figure with your right shoulder as you grab the blade.

You brace for a shock but it doesn’t come.

With all the strength you cam muster, you pull as you shove into the figure harder with your shoulder. You hand slips a bit along the edge and you feel a small shock and your hand numbs slightly but you power though it and yank hard.

The blade comes free and your foe staggers back, thrown off balance as they lose their grip.

You feel a rush of familiarity and a jumble of information about the sword materializes in your brain. You’re not quite able to parse the knowledge in the heat of battle without taking time to concentrate on it

This is your sword. You feel more whole than you did moments ago.

What now?

No I don’t. Or rather, I grasp it by the blade again, in both hands, after reclaiming it.

With the blade grasped in both hands I position the hilt and pommel-- hammering the hilt and pommel across our assailant’s head.
(As seen in the video I linked above.)
“SAY SOMETHING!” I demand as I raise the pommel again. "Surrender and call for mercy!"
If this person does not speak or tries any bullshit I’m just gonna cave his skull in with the pommel of our sword. So let me know.

Right arm isn’t any less paralyzed Jenner.

[quote=“Jenner, post:132, topic:2025”]
No I don’t.
[/quote]Noted.

Oh yeah I forgot about that in my excitement to cave some heads in… Well poop.
I make a mental note to cave some heads in later.

Real answer:
I rest the blade against their neck, panting for breath. “SAY SOMETHING!” I demand. “Surrender and call for mercy!”

If they try any bullshit I’ll kill them. Otherwise I wait for them to speak while trying to muster life back into my right arm and hand.

Also we’re editing around each other trying to be mutually accommodating and it’s cute.

[quote=“Jenner, post:134, topic:2025”]
I rest the blade against their neck, panting for breath. “SAY SOMETHING!” I demand. “Surrender and call for mercy!”

If they try any bullshit I’ll kill them. Otherwise I wait for them to speak while trying to muster life back into my right arm and hand.
[/quote]You advance on your foe, blade still in your hand, press the edge against their neck and shout for them to surrender. They sputter out a gurgling cackle and respond by headbutting you, the blade digs into their neck as they lung forward and the wound begins to fester immediately…

You respond by finishing the job and slice their fool neck clean through. The blade cuts through with almost no resistance.

https://www.lp.zone/uploads/default/optimized/2X/0/08aa86fc5d8762680555fad83705f0dbfe7d076a_1_665x499.png

The figure staggers back, their head rolls off their body and their neck begins to bellow disgusting oily smoke. They take three steps and their clothes collapse to the forest floor, soaked in some sort of greasy ichor.

The head looks male and its dead eyes turn to you as it dissolves. It croaks out another stream of cackles as it melts into a pile of gross slime.

I’m assuming you want the sword info so I’m working on that now, aside from that,

What do you do now?

You throw some branches on the embers of the fire and stoke it back up, then sit down and concentrate on your sword.

This is a steel sword with a long, elegant blade. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality. The blade glows with a faint, lavender aura and the hilt is simple and unadorned. The blade has numerous scratches and nicks that have been polished over countless times. This sword’s name is Winsome.

The sword contains an enchantment that renders it utterly incapable of dealing wounds to living flesh and bone, all strikes are instead converted to paralyzing, forcefully repellent blows that are consistent with the severity of the strike. The enchantment is immensely powerful, as it completely suppresses the singular purpose of a sword – to cut and kill. Enough strikes will render a foe paralyzed and unconscious, but alive, and the effects will begin to diminish after several hours.

For the living, the sensation of getting struck with this blade is not dissimilar to the feeling one gets when they are stung by a particularly angry jellyfish.

The enchantment does not take effect when cutting non-living things or the undead.

You are carrying:
Traveler's clothing (worn)
Well traveled leather boots (worn)
Belt and scabbard (worn)
Winsome, your sword
Root vegetables (1 meal)
Unadorned gold ring with the inscription
 "I'll always love you, Astrid --C" (worn)
Wineskin (fae wine)
Wooden kazoo
Cute forest umbrella
Small black stone of guiding
Fae token

You are missing:
A picture, torn from its frame
Memories
Something extremely important

I stare down at the gross remains. “Yeah, well fuck you too.” I spit. I wipe my blade clean on the remains if there is any cloth clean enough to wipe off on. Otherwise I wipe it off on the grass and sheath the sword.

I sit down, rubbing at my right arm with my left hand and shout
##Hell yeah, I love supernatural shit!
I am being 100% sarcastic.

I think back on what Orchid said in response to some of the things I told the fairies:

[quote=“heyboots, post:110, topic:2025”]
“We have an innate sense for these things, and well… Sorry, too many beings know this information for it to have any value to us.”[/quote]

“You lied, Orchid.” I mutter bitterly “You haven’t killed how I’ve killed.” I look to the mess I left behind and rub at my sore head where I was headbutted. I think about this man-thing and my own memories… “nor killed what I’ve killed.” I state with a scowl.

I’ll eventually pick up a thick branch and try to poke and sift through the remains.

Then I, Jenner, sit back and let some other folks post for awhile.

I can’t wait until we find its twin blade, Losesome.

Once Astrid’s done inspecting the corpse, she should find the shovel blade in the bushes. The other end is pretty much nothing by this point so there’s no point in scooping that up, but adventure game logic dictates that we can probably glue that shovel blade to something down the line.

I would advice searching the corpse for clues. After that, we have a fire already, might be a good place to spend the night.

You poke through the remains of the entity you killed. The cloak and other clothing they were wearing is soaked in a gross slime and are otherwise unremarkable. You poke for a while and do uncover, in one of the pockets of the clothes, a round, polished piece of sardonyx.

Gosh you get so much Steven Universe fanart and OCs when searching google for gemstones >_>

Digging through the discarded pack, you find it empty. You also realize it was probably taken from your house, as it matches your outfit perfectly.

You’ve been up all night and now that the adrenaline of the fight is wearing off you’re starting to feel exhausted.

Do you rest here or find a different place to sleep?

• Here is fine.
  • Somewhere else (post what sort of campsite you are looking for instead)

0 voters

Repeating my earlier stance, there is already a fire. Maybe make sure there is enough firewood to last us through the night but after that, sleep sounds nice.