7th Dragon - Of Course I Know Who Santa Claus Is, You Moron

We reach Aizhen and mostly focus on doing side stuff.

The 2nd Imperial Dragon was supposed to be tackled in this update, but the update was getting 50 pages long and had a character count of 120,000 when I reached that point. Which I figured was getting too big. :v:

There’s a party vote involved in this update.

Oh and the 2nd Imperial Dragon as well. No need to be afraid of the dark.

Doesn’t look like anymore votes are coming in, so VOTING IS CLOSED! Final results:

Dia: 7
Nila: 6
Edward: 5
Stella: 5

Ark: 4
Buront: 2
Haru: 2

My Choice: 3

Huh, looks like we’re going with the original party again.

After almost a 7 month hiatus, this LP is finally back!

Oh and due to issues, rhematic will no longer be used as a hosting site for this LP.

Anyways, we head to Pleroma.

A strange coincidence that the LP returns with a bit that mentions christmas on christmas. Nice to see this back!

Why don’t we start off this new year with a little bang and take a look at one of the strongest classes in the game?

Just cleaning up some quests and stuff.

No NPC update this time, the few NPCs that did update their dialogue, I already showed them all off here.

Also sorry about the delay. I was fairly busy with a lot of things, and was working on some other projects.

A note that future updates might end up being smaller, not due to my workflow, but mainly because of how the game will get structured very soon.

Wanna see some sequence breaking?

Also EX skills! We finally get to see them in action.

We finally get back on track and go dragon slaying after several updates of not doing so.

Thoughout this game, you may have noticed a large number of questionable game design decisions that made you ask the question, “just what in the world were the developers thinking?”

Allow this update to provide the answer for you. They weren’t.

100 bird feathers…I can’t believe it.

Oh hey, this LP is finally back… with an update mainly about side stuff and a bit of exploration. Oh and a slight bit of plot. Yeah, I tried to fit in a good chunk of plot, but the update was already looking to be getting too big, so the thing I wanted to have in this update will have to wait until the next one. No NPC dialogue since there isn’t much of it around. At least we know what the next Imperial Dragon is now.

Welcome back!

Hi, this is not dead. The next update is coming soon. Unfortunately, it won’t be the Flame Eater update like I said it would be in the last update, as I covered a sidequest that ate up a lot of the update space, and it would just get way too big otherwise. (Also it was a pain in the butt for me to make the update, so I decided to just split it there to make things easier on myself.) So that got split off into the update after the next one.

And by soon, I mean now.

Just a few sidequests tackled in this update.

Oh and there might be something to uncover in the first few posts of this thread if you look hard enough. The real Dia never did get a bio, did she?

We finally reached the point I was waiting to reach in the LP.

At long last, we take on Flame Eater.

There is a very big vote involved in this update! One that will influence the fate of the LP.

VOTING IS CLOSED! Final results:

Party votes:

Buront: 10
Haru: 7
Ark: 6
Nila: 5
Edward: 5
Dia: 3
Stella: 1

My choice: 4

First off, the party vote. Looks like there’s a tie for 4th place, so I’ll bring along Nila! Meaning that the party will be Nila, Ark, Haru, and Buront! Now for the order we’ll be tackling these missions in!

Mission Votes:

Invisible: 12
Mystery Dragon: 8
Flame Eater: 4
Dreadnought: 2

Small Fry: 3

Coincidentally kill the last imperial dragon by lowering the dragon count to 333 by then: 2

Looks like the order is clear cut. We’ll be tackling the missions in this order: Invisible, Mystery Dragon, Flame Eater, and then Dreadnought!

Since killing the small fry got a small amount of votes, optional dungeons will have less priority over missions, though they won’t be ignored entirely. On a side note, I will be taking along my own party compositions for some of the sidequests and dungeons to not bog the thread down in voting periods, and to give some screentime to the party in various places.

I’m actually very pleased with how the mission vote turned out. Those 2 missions combined with the structure of the game at this point really won me over on this game despite its rocky start, and I hope to share that with you all.

Fun fact while I was doing some research for the next Class Showcase. It turns out that there is a very good reason for Mages to not have access to a react skill! Namely that it would have made them completely and utterly broken! A singular “turn” within a given battle can be broken up into 2 phases: The normal turn phase, and the extra turn phase. Enemies cannot ever attack or act during an extra turn phase, and players only have access to the extra turn phase if a react skill activated for those party members. Buffs and debuffs only countdown when the extra turn phase ends.

Concentrate is coded as a 2 turn buff that multiplies spell damage by 250% to simulate the effects of a charge. Meaning that if a Mage had a react skill that activated during the turn they cast Concentrate, they could potentially fire off 2 spells, or even 3 under the effects of a singular concentrate, which would double or even triple their already sky-high average damage output!

On that note, here’s the Healer Class Showcase to tide you all over until the next update.

Boy I had to resist making comparisons to Etrian Odyssey Nexus’ Ronin since that’s out of the scope of this LP. (Some of the mechanics resemblances are kind of uncanny.)

Anyways, if you read some fan sites for info, there’s a bit of misinformation that’s provided about the Samurai. For some reason, there’s this misconception that both Guardbreak and Musou Arts do more than they actually do. It’s claimed that Guardbreak can ignore damage multipliers, and Musou provides an additional effect that does that as well. And that Musou Arts also provides a status resistance buff. As far as I can tell, this isn’t the case. I checked the data and hacked the game to test this, and found they did absolutely nothing of the sort. So if you were wondering why those aspects weren’t mentioned in this showcase, that’s why.

Some other mechanics stuff I’ll probably put in an earlier update since I don’t think I talked about these much.

Sleep disables evasion, and provides a 30% damage boost for physical damage. (Nerfed down from a 50% damage boost from Etrian Odyssey 1.)

Any entity in battle can have up to 5 buffs and debuffs total. They share the same slots unlike in EO where you can have 3 buffs and 3 debuffs. Buff and debuffs cannot be extended, their durations can only be refreshed. There’s also a special type of buff known as Switch buffs. You can only have one of these active at a time, but they are permanent, and cannot be forcibly dispelled under any means, though they still eat up a buff slot. These can only be overwritten by other Switch buffs. React buffs also have these same properties, however they have a set duration and can wear off that way.

Setting out to confirm the Flame Eater’s location, and taking a look at some other locales.

Also something I’m gonna put back in the King update, his concept art.

Concept art of King. The first version looks a lot like Wyrm/The Great Dragon from Etrian Odyssey.

Official artwork of King uninjured and what he looked like after his battle with Doris.

The monster designer also made a version where he was just bleeding out. According to them, this is what King looked like right after his battle with Doris. The stated reason for why you don’t see all that blood when you fight him is that he stopped bleeding by that point.