50 Shades of Grayscale: Let's Play 50 Game Boy Games!

Another uncut! Please, enjoy some unfiltered ape action.

Bubsy II

HOO BOY do we have an entry for you fine folks today. The concept of dedicating any more of my thought process to Bubsy is already making me want to curl up in a ball, so I’m gonna throw this update in here like a live grenade and run. See you next time!

Snake Count: 31

This uncut entry is weirdly embarrassing to look back on! I dunno! I hope you like it.

It’s worth noting that as of this post EVERY live thing in this series has been recorded. It’s all coming down to editing at this point. It’s been a hell of a ride there and I hope everyone here enjoys the rest of it in due time. Thanks for stickin around.

Star Wars

Our travels bring us to a galaxy far, far away! Join our intrepid rebel alliance as we fight the greatest enemies of all: momentum based platforming and fluctuating hitboxes! Also this is apparently wordse’s favorite so feel free to point and laugh. Not a whole lot to say about this one, truth be told! It’s just one of those gnarly games that gained a cult following, but once we could get our proverbial compass pointed, it wasn’t the nightmare it could have been.

The collectors boxes are pretty sick though.

A lil late on this one! Things are shaping up to be SUPER busy in the coming month, so edited episodes might be a bit delayed as a result. Might be more of a “every two weeks” kind of deal.

Cosmo Tank

Hey everybody! The last couple days have kicked my ASS but I’m now here to post this episode! It’s…okay? My initial experiences with this game felt it should definitely make it to the hell block, but once I figured it out it turned into our average slog. It’s fun to see the kernels of ideas Atlus would have probably capitalized on in their more modern games, but between you and me I feel like they would have gone with the book more than the movie on this Starship Troopers analogy.

See you, uh, whenever I’m not dying from exhaustion!

I never posted this uncut?? OOPS.

The next few series of uncuts are gonna be batch posted because we played some LONG ASS GAMES. Also I kinda wanna make this thread not last an eternity, so there’s that too.

Battletoads

Yes, folks, we have Battletoads. The penultimate challenge is here and BOY HOWDY does this game live up to its reputation. I don’t know if this truly breaks the record for proportion of footage to the final product, but it’s a top 3 contender to be sure.

A good amount of the footage I used for the info segment came from the Rare Replay documentary on battletoads as a franchise. It’s a pretty interesting watch, especially given their transparency on things like the cynical nature of the game’s creation and also how intentionally bullshit the arcade version was.

NEXT TIME: THE FINAL GAME. But it’s probably gonna take some extra time to edit. Please wait patiently and enjoy the uncut releases in the meantime!

1 Like

A duo of Catraps! The final duo. Just like how the game ended! That’s all I got.

More uncuts folks! Now it’s time for massive amounts of rpg footage. Including things like: getting lost, dying, and forgetting to save!

WOW I ENTIRELY FORGOT TO GET ON THESE. Weeks been nuts yall. Stay safe.

You know I was really hoping to have a real update by now, but the universe had other plans. Those plans were primarily getting me sick as hell for a week. See y’all soon, I promise!

Accidentally took a bit of an off week there. Life has been hectic, and there’s a charity stream on its way that has halted a lot of progress. Even so, things look pretty good, and I’m going to try and get the final episode out by early July. Look forward to it!

We’re really getting down to it! Ep 50 is fully underway and should be ready for early access this weekend! I hope the air of finality terrifies you as much as me! :v

Is this even different from the edited version? I dunno! What I DO know is that we got episode 50 coming THIS FRIDAY so I hope everyone is excited!!

Metroid II: Return of Samus

We’re finally here. The fiftieth shade of the grayscale. METROID 2. When I started this series, in all its self indulgence, I could think of no more fitting a title than this to cap it all off. I tried to put everything I had into this one, which has lately been less and less, but I hope you feel it all the same.Theres still some bonus streams to edit, a couple extra videos, but this is and forever will be the proper finale to the LP’s main body. It’s hard to put into words how it feels to actually be able to say that. We did it yall!!! Thank you to everyone who stuck around for this project. Thank you to all the lovely people who posted art, factoids, and their personal stories. I’ve loved reading every single one of them. It’s kept me going the whole way through.

I wanna hear more, though! I did all 50 of my games, so now it’s open season. Tell me what games impacted you most. Tell me what games I missed and was a huge idiot for not including! Tell me…well I think I’ll save the third option for now. I have a proper thread closer in mind. Until then, stay tuned, or if not, see you next mission!!

Final Snake Count: 32

1 Like

Comin through with some more uncuts! Should still have a few more things int he pipeline, but recovering from surgery has admittedly made it a lil slow. Should get there one way or another though!

THE RANKING OF SNAKES

It is here! Just as we promised, we took a deep look into all 32 snakes featured in 50 Shades of Grayscale. Buckle up for an excessively thorough discussion on 4 colored pixels, and gird your loins for some shocking final rankings! Once that’s over, get back here and tell us how fucking wrong we were with your own rankings! Or just yell at us for something else.

It’s time to round up all of our opinions into one neat little package! Join us as we argue the merits of Kirby, the badness of Lolo, and the greatness of Metroid 2! Don’t forget to let me know how wrong I am and post your own hot takes via your own version of the tierlist!