50 Shades of Grayscale: Let's Play 50 Game Boy Games!

Another uncut edition coming at you! Wild, untamed, just like the time of the dinosaurs. Will you survive?

Hammerin’ Harry

Surprise! Despite it being over, the SPOOKY BLOCK LIVES ON with Hammerin’ Harry! I have no fucking clue why they decided he has to fight ghosts, but it does make for some pretty sick imagery. The perspective change boss is one of my all time favorites so far, even if getting to it could be an ordeal.

1 Like

Back at it again in New Donk City! Another uncut entry to reveal just how little I had to actually edit out!

Bonk’s Adventure

Oogabalooga! It’s time for everyone’s favorite moderately deformed child: Bonk! I actually find Bonk, as a character and a concept, incredibly charming. He truly has the qualities of something that started as an inside joke and became progressively more real every time he came up. The game itself was nothing insane, really. Probably among the easiest we’ve ever played, but given it’s predecessor that is far from a bad thing. Wish it had more snakes, though.

Session 2 of the Donkey Kong uncut streams is up! Thrill as we amass extra lives only to lose 80% of them on two levels!!

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon

Grab your kunai and ready your turbo buttons because it’s time for the 38th game in the lineup! Goemon is another series that I have yet to properly dig into, but I’d definitely like to! Even amidst the laborious issues with this title, the charm of the characters shines through, and some day I’d love to at least check out that famous n64 title.

Speaking of those issues, I have to wonder how possible those damn minigames truly are. Favorable reviews apparently existed at the time of this game’s release, but I can’t help but wonder if they just had some passwords or game genie’d it to progress. A mystery lost to the ancient Edo period!

All I can offer now, is this awful awful magazine ad:

wanted: rock hard arse

1 Like

If you liked Avenging Spirit, but thought it’d be cooler if you watched me die a little more, then this is for you!

Turok: Battle of the Bionosaurs

It’s time to go back…TO THE PAST. Again? Wait. Maybe this is the future. All this time travel is confusing the hell out of me, but one thing is for certain: there will be a non-zero amount of dinosaurs being shot with guns in this one. There will also be reminders of our past with this series, as a surprising name emerges. I mean, we talk about it immediately, so you won’t have to wait in suspense too long.

Time for the beginning of the uncut archives of CASTLEVANIA: THE ADVENTURE. This is the light portion. The real meat will be next time.

Donkey Kong Land

Everyone’s favorite apes are back…on the Game Boy! Still gotta reiterate that that is an actual plot point, and not just me pointing out the gimmick of the show. Donkey Kong Land is a lot of ambition packed into a tiny yellow cartridge, and I think for the most part it succeeded! There isn’t much else to say about that, so I hope instead you enjoy our strange dive into the deep lore of Ronald McDonald, and also a truly awful statue of a minion.

Snake Count: 25

Behold! The real meat and potatoes of the pain that is Castlevania: The Adventure. Perhaps the first game that I trimmed down into three superspeed segments? Well now you know why.

Showcase #4

That’s right folks we passed another milestone so it’s time for another showcase! This one is focused on ports and adaptations of titles most folks might be familiar with. Some of these definitely could have been entries on their own, but space on the schedule, difficulty, or just plain bad quality has relegated them here. I still felt they were worth mentioning though! Maybe some day, down the road, I can beat one. And then I’ll have 49 to go from there! What a concept.

1 Like

I knew I forgot to do something today, and that’s post a double dose of uncut drac! Wow that sounded WAY better in my head. Sorry I’m just…gonna go…

Fortified Zone

Hey kids! Do you like some levels of Contra? Do you like Metal Gear? Do you dislike plot? Well then I have the game for you!! Avenging Spirit’s developers, Jaleco, have a short and sweet top down shooter for us, with a fun duo mechanic. Also a built in mix tape function?? Eat your heart out, Smash Bros!

1 Like

Another uncut entry, in which we beat a witch and robot…eventually! God it took a while, didn’t it?

Catrap

Is everyone ready for MORE PUZZLES? Of course you are! We’re back at it in the catgirl dungeons to bring you the underrated classic CATRAP. I was delighted to dig in and find the surprising amount of history attached to this game. Hardcore Gaming 101 has a great article on its general history and creator, including a download link to the original magazine article featuring the source code of its first incarnation! The link still works last I checked, but in case something gets lost down the line I can at least put it up on imgur. If you know enough japanese and feel like manually inputting the code yourself, please post your results! :v

Finally, HG101 also conducted an interview with the developer himself, presenting him the original magazine as well as discussing his other work for Namco. It’s a lovely watch.

1 Like

Another one for the uncut vault! The Gargoyle’s Quest was long, but we…were longer.

Welcome back to the dungeon of puzzles, everyone! No amount of sand or rocks could keep us from OUR happy end, and you are no different! Fight on, brave viewer, for there are only eight more games to go! The rest should be short, right? :v

Wordse did mention crafting a Cat Rap for Catrap but he has yet to record it. Stay tuned on any potential updates. If nothing else, we have notes to share!

Another back to back set of uncuts! Watch as I shatter everyone’s expectations, then proceed to do entirely average at the next task! So it goes in these things.

(forgot to post these on wednesday oops)

Final Fantasy Adventure

Welcome back and happy holidays everyone! I got an entry for you that’s bound to overstuff your stocking: Square’s highly successful spinoff Final Fantasy Adventure! The beginnings of the Mana series have a layered history of their own, and I did my best to cover it all in the video itself. That said, I had to source a lot of materials from the fine folks at Lost Media Wiki and Legends of Localization. I can never undersell how excited I am to see some proper archived history when doing my research. This game is STACKED with lore and future big names alike. It’s pretty insane to have such a hyped release be entirely wiped out of production. I wonder if any bits of the original concept got morphed into other things?

Until next time!