Who's your favorite video game villain/antagonist?

I was always kind of a fan of Queen Myrrah from Gears of War, she was a villain who did a lot of horrible things and got what she deserved but she was also trying to save the Locust from the Lambent and she did have a legitimate reason to hate humanity because the Locust were humans that had been experimented on

Mmm, it was satisfying to send his dreams crashing down around him. His ego was so damn huge, and I could not stand him. I mean, I hated Caesarā€™s Legion more but, yā€™know.

The strength of Andrew Ryanā€™s character does a lot of the legwork for Bioshockā€™s reputation. And itā€™s no surprise that the story goes to shit once heā€™s dead. But the image of the mad Randian superman, imprisoned under a mile of ocean, in the ruins of his dreams, ordering his own execution while screaming that he alone is freeā€“itā€™s a hell of a boss fight.

But for an actually good game taking on similar politics, Senator Armstrong in Revengeance is the sort of boss fight other action games should study. Good song, punishing fight, fantastic designā€“nanomachine roided up Dick Cheney is both hilarious and Metal Gear as all hell. Samā€™s great, but Armstrong is a finale.

3 Likes

Villains are typically my favorite characters in things, to be honest. Bowser and Ganondorf especially, Junko Enoshima before DR3 ruined her, etc. But my all time favorite? Thatā€™s a hard one.

I guess Iā€™d go with Claudia Wolfe from Silent Hill 3? She was my first tragic villain/antagonist with good intentions. She also is one of my favorite character designs in horror, period.

[spoiler]Brief summary: She was horribly abused by her father as a kid while ALSO being raised by cultists. She was also childhood friends with Alessa, who is the soon-to-be mother of their God. Fast forward to years in the future, Alessa has since become God/Incubus, been killed by Harry Mason, reincarnated, adopted by Harry, and grown up again as Heather Mason.

At this point Claudia was desperate to make Heather(Alessa) give birth to God(again) to make the world a paradise, but the only way she could do that was by doing a bunch of fucked up shit, like killing Heatherā€™s dad, Harry.

Thing is, she knows what sheā€™s doing is horrible, but thinks it a necessary evil. She doesnā€™t believe sheā€™d be allowed into the paradise she wants to make and sheā€™s fine with that. She 100% thinks what sheā€™s doing this horrible shit for is right, even if the entire mythology of everything she knows of the cultā€™s God is closer to that of a demon than something holy.

I have a soft spot for selfless but fucked up characters.[/spoiler]