Let's Play Every Mario Party and Not Get A Divorce [Current - Mario Party 6]

It’d be nice if it had a bank again like in Mario Party 1 and 2.

What?

Anyway, the reason why the boards feel smaller is because they absolutely are, by a considerable margin. Aside from the first party, which had small boards that were usually obscured by a movement or gameplay hook in each board, each of the parties up to this point have had boards ranging from 80 to 100 spaces, a handful dipping down into the 70s. But most of the boards here are back to Mario Party 1 sizes, only they don’t particularly have incredibly exciting differences from board to board the way, say, Wario’s Battle Canyon or Luigi’s Engine Room would, they’re basically just aesthetic differences.

The thing you need to keep in mind when you’re designing a Mario Party board (or any game board) is that you’re ultimately travelling in a circle and you’re going to be doing that a lot of times in just one game, so that needs to start out and stay engaging, if not actually fun, the whole way through; and that’s the real reason why almost every single Mario Party board is bad, except for Horror Land and Waluigi’s Island of Nonsense™. Being able to get around the board in a non-frustrating way is ultimately just a bonus that makes 50-turn games less of a chore.

I think you’re misunderstanding why I truly like Mario Party 5, though. I like it because the combination of randomly-received items, largely randomly-activated items, randomly-decided minigames, and then excessive physical torture minigames means that the entire game is a nonstop unpredictable, un-gameable, yet still totally unfair garbage fire from start to finish. It’s Mario Party ditching the disguises, in a sense. Yet it also has Pushy Penguins.

I don’t remember if duel minigames also count towards the minigame star the way battle minigames do; if they do, Calli has a decent shot at getting the game star, either Calli or Michael will get the coin star, probably Michael if he gets some more button mashy games to build up his coin count before someone hit Bowser and tanks everyone’s coin totals, and the happening star will probably split between Wario and Daisy 'cause it’s almost impossible to actually hit the things in this board. In the end, Daisy will probably win with four or five stars after likely stealing one of Wario’s, and Koopa Cosplayer will probably be fighting in the dirt with Boo for second.

1 Like

We manage to keep ourselves out of Davy Jones Locker and to the end of the Undersea Dream. Sadly, no mermaids or talking crabs were around here. And I’m sure the people that live around here will be happy we’re no longer just walking around their neighborhood. What did everyone think of Undersea Dream? I like it more than some of the previous boards. This would have been a great time to bring costumes back though. Everyone with little diving helmets would have been great.

1 Like

This dream has turned into a Nightmare. Bowser’s Nightmare to be exact. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be bad for him, or bad for us. I mean. If we win then things aren’t going his way and it truly is his nightmare then. Anyway. This is the final board for story mode, but that doesn’t mean we’re done quite yet. Just watch as the AI cheats in this little circle of a board.

Next time we’re going to war! Make sure to vote on whether Michael, Calli, or a Computer can make it out on top.

1 Like

Given how these minigame things go, I think Michael is a safe bet.

1 Like

Yeah I’ll just vote Michael as well.

1 Like

Reminder for everyone to get those votes it.

1 Like

It’s a boob.

You would have such an easier time with Piece Out if you didn’t split your pieces on the board so much. Against computers of this level you’re far better off Zerg Rushing to fill the board from one side to the other with whatever pieces you get your mitts on and taking whatever points it gives you. More importantly, it doesn’t drown you in oversized pieces when you need a single or double block to fill a gap before you can cash in any points at all.

Michael will probably win the next minigame challenge because half of the minigames favour one of his strongest skills, the other half are up to the will of the Party Gods, who play no favourites, and the surrounding game type is very hard to catch up on if you don’t get a lead early.

1 Like

It’s a war out there! Technically, it’s 4 player Othello. For anyone who doesn’t know what that is. Othello is a game where you take turns with your opponent placing chips on a board, putting your opponents pieces between your pieces to flip them over. Whoever has most of the board in their colour at the end of the game wins. Except in this version it isn’t dictated by taking turns. It’s whoever wins the mini-game.

1 Like

And now we go to the future! Sort of. It’s more of a space theme which I may have mentioned before. I honestly think the space theme board of Mario Party 2 felt more futuristic than this one. But I digress. I apologize for how negative we’ve been about this game. We realize that it probably isn’t the most fun to watch us be down on the game. We’ll be turning it around next recording session we promise.

Still, it’s time to vote. Michael, Calli, Computer, Computer?! Who will it be? The winner that we do see. Can you guess this mystery?

1 Like

I’m going to say Toad, because Random.org told me to.

1 Like

Gonna knock on wood and say that I hope Michael doesn’t get Mario Party’d too hard.

1 Like

Just a reminderino that tonights the last voting night for this week.

1 Like

I like the part where Calli is coy about finding good Hanzo/Widowmaker play arousing despite literally saying as much in a previous video. And then abandons being coy after like ten seconds anyway.

Future Dream looks and feels uninteresting because most of the Mario Party boards with full 3D graphics are. They traded static backgrounds with a lot going on and a lot of personality for minor animations of board elements and a bunch of smooth textures, while you can’t actually see a lot of the board because the spaces themselves are so large and so spaced out that you’re zoomed in on one part of the board a lot of the time. It’s even worse in something like Future Dream because it’s deliberately trying to evoke a sterile space future, so it’s very easy to get lost in where you even are on the board.

You’d almost get the impression that someone at Hudson decided board events affecting other players, particularly with movement, was obnoxious and should be eliminated. Except they left in things like the boulder trap in Pirate Dream. Almost every party after the first couple has a distinct lack of board events by way of either happening spaces or event spaces, and while they did prove that they were almost wholly bad at it, it does mean that most boards don’t leave much of a lasting impact.

Not until you start changing how star hunting works altogether, at least.

Considering coins won in battle games contribute to the minigame star in this one, I highly doubt Toad will lose his lead for the minigame star. He has the lead for the coin star as well, however I could see someone else taking that, especially considering both Chain Chomp and a board event that offers coins are readily available. I suspect Daisy will collect the next star, Diet Koopa will then take the teleporter and stumble onto a few more happening spaces in his quest to get to the next star. Toad will get his coins taken either by a capsule or Chain Chomp, Daisy will steal his star, and after decisively eliminating the computer threats, it will be a narrow contest between the two humans that Michael will win by one bonus star.

1 Like

Hey! Sorry for the late video. It’s been a long and kinda rough day that had some bad things happen. I’ll go through and get vote placements sorted tomorrow. But for now, enjoy this futuristic video!!! It’s not really future. It’s more space themed.

2 Likes

I can’t let everyone know I’m a freak at all times okay. I need to try to fool people into thinking I am some form of normal to earn their trust before I rip out their souls okay?

1 Like

Story Mode comes to a close in a climactic fight that is only a little bit too difficult in my opinion. I really liked the final battle in Mario Party 4. And while I like the concept for this one, I feel like the final stage of it is a little too unforgiving.

1 Like

Also please get votes in. More mini game things coming at the end of the week.

1 Like

I’ll vote for Callie.

So who’s excited for Super Mario Party: We brought back actual boards this time.

1 Like

Mini game things, huh? Gonna go with Michael, then.

1 Like

Make sure to get those votes in. Its coming down to the wire.

1 Like