Let's Play Every Mario Party and Not Get A Divorce [Current - Mario Party 6]

Don’t worry. You will forever be the participation winner of Mario Party 1. Everything resets now. So you could become the winner of 2 as well.

1 Like

The game has now reset. Guessing will begin again as you try to figure out who’s going to win. Our own counts will also begin anew in the OP. All the standings and all the guessing will stand alone in their own games. So with that said, who will win Pirate Land? Those who are right will get all new shiny Mario Party 2 stars!

I mean it’s gonna be Mario. Unless someone gets a good duel or two, he’s got a stupidly good lead. Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if he got another mystery block in on this board.
On a side note, I forgot just how much this game likes taking money away. The bank space and Koopa Kid appearing over old star spaces is overkill.

Michael did say “I’m supposed to look in the same direction as you.” It wasn’t a clear explanation and it also wasn’t what Calli heard. And Michael had 28 coins at the start of his turn when he had the lamp in his possession, he just forgot to use it. Fun fact about stealing items in this game: it’s the only game that lets you use more than one item in a turn, since you can only hold one item, which is semi-broken in some circumstances.

The faster you move in Sneak ‘n’ Snore, the longer it takes to hide when you release the control stick, Sneak ‘n’ Snore doesn’t come back in any form in Mario Party 3, and there is no draw in Bombs Away in Mario Party 1. Also, since the engine is the same, the games that came back in this party don’t have any mechanical refinements.

Anyway, this game puts the ultimate plague of the entire Mario Party series into the spotlight, which is vicious penalties on board movement based on chance. Mario Party 1 had this on several of the boards, but could mostly be worked around, and also the boards were simple enough that it didn’t matter too much, plus it usually didn’t result in that much of a turn or coin loss.

In Mario Party 2, landing on Happening Spaces on every single board severely affects your movement. Pirate Land kicks you back to the start if you’re anywhere on a fairly long section of the board, Western Land brings the train around, which can kick you back to the start for being on very long sections of the board, Space Land shepherds you into the four corners if you’re on either two or any of the four outer paths, which are very long sections of the board, Mystery Land pulls a Wario’s Battle Canyon on you, and Bowser Land kicks you back to the start and drains your coins for being on a variable, very long stretch of board. Horror Land comes close, which is why it’s one of the most fair and enjoyable boards in the entire Mario Party series, but the rest of these and the abundance of chances to land on spaces that trigger the events makes the actual act of moving around the board feel like a chore a good amount of the time.

The Bowser Star space is a decent solution to Bowser Himself being on boards and taking an excessive number of coins from players who may or may not have had any say in whether they visit him, however it’s a bigger problem of there still being a space on the board designed to punish you simply for not getting high enough rolls to get to the star first.

Mario Party 2 in general has a lot of steps forward, steps backward, steps sideways, and winds up not necessarily being overall better than Mario Party 1, just more of N64 Mario Party. Which means the same basic principle applies: the fewer humans who genuinely want to play are playing, the lower the potential enjoyment ceiling is and the faster the enjoyment is likely to expire.

So I guess my point is that you guys having less and less fun as time goes on is mathematically proven, by me, just now. Also I’d be wary of writing all the things you aren’t enjoying off as products of older games on older systems. Mario Party just has a lot of garbage in it; it’s the best.

Okay, predictions: Calli doesn’t get the Happening Star, because Michael blows up the bridge at least one more time. This will happen when Calli is also on the bridge because the party gods still hate her. Mario spends his money on an item and stars before he can either save up enough to steal a star or save up more coins than Luigi had from the battle game. Somebody starts another battle minigame and Yoshi wins, giving him enough coins to steal a star and to get the coin star, but they don’t count towards the minigame star, which Mario wins by far too many coins. Yoshi winds up winning after a concerted effort to annihilate all of his stars and coins.

By the way, did anyone else notice how Yoshi’s sailor’s shirt goes under his saddle? Which clearly confirms that it’s a saddle and not a shell?

1 Like

My vote is for Mario because it’s always funny when the CPU wins.

Also, I feel like the only person that doesn’t like it when people get mad at each other playing Mario Party. Probably because I don’t like arguing in general. :pensive:

1 Like

It’s okay. I think a lot of people like when we don’t fight but we are a couple who do disagree and i am a very sore loser. It won’t last forever. Just for the next board or so…Maybe…

Waluigi.

Luigi’s description was, “A man of hidden talents”.

I am of the mind that one of them is dumb luck, the dumber his AI, the luckier he gets.

Votin’ String Bean.

I can see Luigi’s talent being blind luck at winning. I wonder if the hidden talents thing has something to do with him taking the key to go past doors.

1 Like

That’ll be because every character has a preferred item in Mario Parties 2 and 3; the computer players will buy it in shops and win it in games if they can, though I think it might be overridden by certain aspects of the AI. Mario likes the mushroom, Luigi likes the skeleton key, Peach likes the plunder chest, Yoshi likes the warp block, Wario likes the duelling glove, and DK likes the same item that I like, because I also enjoy letting chaos and suffering reign.

I think it says on the item descriptions, or possibly on a character select screen.

1 Like

Our friend did some nice art depicting our argument from the Eternal Star board of Mario Party.

2 Likes

As much as I want to have faith in our intrepid heroes, I think I have to vote for Mario, because wow, I forgot how hard “Hard” actually is.

1 Like

I don’t ever remember hard computers being this hard. But wow was this an eye opener.

And the OP should now be updated with the new standings and Power Star Guesses.

1 Like

I was like dead-on the money aside from the part where the only Boo of the map is nigh-impossible to get to. Had Yoshi managed to get there even once he would have won. I’m so good at almost getting it perfectly right.

I just want to say that I feel like a lot of work went into animating that duel with Bowser in the end and I, for one, appreciate that.

It was really well animated. I can’t remember all of them but I think this is the best animated one from the group.

You really are. You’re almost doing the novelization of our LP. I really enjoy reading how correct you are and then wish things went the way you say.

1 Like

Koopas wear shirts under their shells all the time, though?

The detached nature of a koopa and their shell is well-established in Mario canon, however. Yoshi has been subject to conflicting reports for years.

1 Like

So then it would seem that it is a saddle of some sort. Seeing as baby yoshis do not have them either.

1 Like

Okay. Let’s get back on track. We’re gonna tackle Western Land this time. Hopefully we can watch out for the very dangerous train. Considering how much the bridge messed with us last time, I’m not very hopeful.

And make sure to get in those guesses! It was a huge upset last game, can Calli and I pull victory away from the hard computer?

1 Like