Let's Play Every Mario Party and Not Get A Divorce [Current - Mario Party 6]

I can’t believe Calli won overall and they didn’t even call it Peach Land. Toad is a cruel trickster god, to be sure.

1 Like

Extremely Wario voice Oh, I missed!

This was fun, can’t wait for the next game!

1 Like

kisses for calli!!! Thanks frozen my treasure.

I’ve been itching to do some more personal design work and since we’re done 2 games here I would like to ask something. I’d like to do a t-shirt design from maybe a quote or something from this LP. Is there anything that’s stood out to anyone as a good quote that they think would be interesting on a t-shirt or even want to buy? I’m not saying I want people here to buy t-shirts from us I just want to have some fun with design since I don’t do that a whole lot.

Okay, now that I don’t need to sleep and work:

I ended up going through Honeycomb Havoc a couple of times after I did the coaster so I could remember how you’re supposed to win at it. It’s a little harder to control when you have three or four people in, but the idea is to have either too many or too few fruits in the queue such that you can’t be given bees. This is much easier to manipulate when you’re first in the queue, naturally; you need to leave the other players with 2x the number of fruits as opponents, plus one, or you need to leave them with one less fruit than the number of opponents. I feel like it should be possible to represent it with a mathematical formula. When there are two people, the person with three (and, subsequently, six) fruits most likely loses. When there are three people, the person with four or five fruits is most likely to lose. When there are four people, the person with five or six fruits most likely loses. It’s just unpredictable with more than two players since everyone has three targets and is just trying to not get bees themselves rather than force bees on someone specific.

It doesn’t really matter, since Calli had it pretty much sewn up, but you do want to take the star, pretty much all of the time. Unless the player you’re going to steal from has enough coins to steal the star right back and is also near a Boo, which would just burn 100 coins from the game, stealing a star from another player is far more valuable, which is why it’s so expensive. A star steal is, in essence, a difference of two stars, without actually increasing the number of stars in play. Especially if the game is almost over, stealing a star from another player instead of buying a new one reduces the impact that bonus stars can have on that player. I can understand the dilemma when you have a lamp, though. Speaking of which, I forget if I already said this, but the items are typically weighted towards the losing players. Third or fourth place should pretty much always have an opportunity to get a lamp or bell from a shop or item game.

Did you guys show the Bowser Land duel game before? I don’t remember. You play rock, paper, scissors with Mario, Peach, and Bowser. Mario defeats Bowser, Bowser kidnaps Peach, Peach smooches Mario. It’s one of the dumber games.

Anyway, you did it! Another party down, and one of the only ones I remember a lot a lot a lot about. You both did a great job and I’m sure you’ll do great in the next one. Now I get to scrub through the previous videos to pick out some good quotes. That kidney one is up there.

S E E Y O U !

1 Like

I dont believe we did since it does not sound familiar to me at all. It sounds like a stupid game and maybe we will eventually go back and check it out but we will see. Mario Party 3 takes a lot of time and effort to record as you will all see in the upcoming weeks. I hope everyone is excited for the change in format.

1 Like

I found the best possible quote about Mario Party in the very first episode, lucky me:

I’m not good at this…I don’t know why I wanted to play this so badly.

-Calli, 2017

I would absolutely buy this on a t-shirt with some nice graphic to go along with it.

1 Like

Wish granted…possibly

So now we begin the next game. Turns out, there is a lot more of Mario Party 3 than we initially though. Remember how I had all the boards unlocked on the cartridges for Mario Party and Mario Party 2? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
So we’re going to start this week with story mode. In the video we talk about doing two multiplayer boards and one single player board per week. But if we do that the Multiplayer boards will run out really quickly, so we’re sticking to just doing two videos a week. This does mean that there won’t be voting every single week, but with bonus episodes there will still be more voting weeks than not. So. Let’s enjoy this madness together.

1 Like

What fools we were to forget about Wario’s tremendous wit. A foolish error that will no doubt result in… I dunno, the AI cheating on the next story map.

I keep forgetting that Mario Party Advance took quite a number of ques from this game, most of them being music. Admittedly, it is a little weird hearing some of these songs not on a GBA sound chip.

1 Like

I also forget about that a lot. I never played three till now so it never occurred to me. To me this is just another mario party and they all start to run together as you play them one after another.

Huh. Turns out, I’ve forgotten everything about Mario Party 3 except for Tumble and the Millennial Star.

Well, now I’m doubly looking forward to this part of the series!

2 Likes

It didn’t even occur to me that that was a nod to the turn of the millennium.

I didn’t even remember that part! I just remember the star having a mustache and that it wiggles when he talks.

1 Like

This is gonna be a long fuckin’ day.

There goes that Wario, always thrusting his tremendous wit where it’s not wanted.

A lot of the Mario Party 3 minigames are pretty good. Not “top 100 collection” good, in my opinion, but pretty good, thanks to the x2 combo of refining the mechanics of the games they initially came up with for most of the games in the first party and finding an aesthetic that actually looks good, looks different from the rest of the series, and ages well. I used to not like the toy box/popup book look until I realised how bad the other N64 parties look and how similar all the others look after this one. Meanwhile they changed up some names so the ported minigames weren’t instantly obvious and also tweaked a bunch of them so they weren’t just direct ports, and you get to see how Hudson was approaching the design of the minigames.

An easy example is Face Lift and Picture Imperfect. In the first party, Face Lift was just born from the idea of doing the Mario 64 thing with other character heads. It was such a fun minigame they brought it back for the second party, and since that would be really stupid to just keep recycling it for each party, they tried looking at the game as a function of what experience the players were getting out of it, which is seeing Mario and friends’ faces stretched out in funny ways and not looking like their actual models. It’s an inherently fun activity with funny results, but it’s imprecise, the scoring sucks when you have multiple people really good at the game, there are only a couple of funny ways you can stretch faces out, and the game takes just a fraction too long, especially when everyone finishes quickly. So they made Picture Imperfect, which goes faster, ends when everyone finishes their faces, points are much more clearly awarded, the different face parts offer plenty of variety each time despite the goal always being the same, and it’s still a fun enough activity with funny results.

Other easy examples of minigames that had just enough issues in them to get to come back after tweaking (some you noticed already!) are Bumper Balls becoming Bounce and Trounce (hit Z when you bounce high to do a spin attack), Coin Shower Flower becoming Quicksand Cache becoming River Raiders, Shock Drop or Roll becoming Crazy Cogs, Toad in the Box becoming Slot Synch, Bowser’s Big Blast becoming At Least One Battle Minigame Until The End Of Time But It Doesn’t Have The Potential To Last Forever, and you could argue Ridiculous Relay is their second try at Filet Relay. They did this a little throughout the series in the same way modern Ace Combat games still take the skeletal structure of their missions from Ace Combat 2, but there’s a lot of it going on in this particular party.

The big change on the board game side in this party is the items. There were like eight or nine items in the last party? Now there are like fifty and the game really, really wants you to be using them all of the time. You can hold more of them, shops offer way more selection at lower prices, there’s an item that fills your inventory out, there are item spaces all over the board with either very easy item games or Toad/Koopa questions that are very easy to get the best result from; the team’s priorities are very clear here. They also added interactivity to the happening spaces so some boards will let you impact whether you get sent to a random part of the board. A more subtle difference is in the locked doors. Since you can hold multiple items the game definitely expects you to have a key a lot of the time and be able to take shortcuts or access stars when they get put behind the doors. More importantly, the doors aren’t the alternate path themselves; they’re always one space into a branch at an intersection. This means you can go up to a door, not have the key (or not use it), then go backwards and use up some of your movement doubling over those one or two spaces.

Mario Party 3 just has so much Stuff going on, between the items and the different kinds of spaces and the board events and Action Time. Maybe it was that saturation of mechanics and ever-increased time spent between one person hitting the dice block and the next person getting to hit theirs that led to the next game’s systems and the subsequent complete revamping of items following it.

Well, with story and party modes being played, this is gonna be a packed LP. Here’s to a good party enjoyed by all.

1 Like

We actually mapped out the episodes to figure out the format for this portion of the Lp and discovered we will be going for about 3 months with Mario Party 3. I believe Mario Party 3 will end in mid December…??? Michael will correct me if I’m wrong.

Everybody has to remember though that Mario Party 1 took us 5 months since we had no real upload schedule. Mario Party 2 also took 3 months and that’s with one episode per week. Imagine how long it would take for Mario Party 3 if we stuck to the one epsiode per week format lol.

1 Like

I have to say thus far I’ve really enjoyed the mini games of this game. I feel like they definitely hit their stride at this point and know what mostly makes a good mini game.

I’ve only played through Mario Party Advance once, and that LP was like a year ago now. I would never have noticed this if you didn’t point it out.

1 Like

Neither Calli nor I knew about the Duel Boards or what they were really. So of course we go into this without reading the rules. ENJOY!

So we are going to be doing all of story mode. But it’s going to be broken up. So next week everyone will be getting to vote since we will be putting out the multiplayer episodes.

2 Likes

I’m late commenting about the first MP3 video, but I like how in the ‘winning’ splice you subtly removed DK from the equation out of spite.

1 Like

Actually it wasn’t by choice. I restarted at one point because I was so frustrated with the game. It’s random on what characters are selected for the AI so I had no input for this.