Let's Fillet! The Cooking Thread

They can be converted. My roommate in college hated all vegetables and when we ordered pizza he only wanted plain cheese (“Toppings are an abomination.”). His girlfriend eventually got him eating fruit more often, and then later on salads.

I made a bug pot of red beans last night but my dad invited me out to eat dinner so I’m lookin forward to diggin into that with some rice when I get home from work.

I have such a hard time with picky eaters… My fiancee is a fairly mild one all things considered, but it still feels like cooking with one arm tied behind my back when it comes to some regional cuisines.

She doesn’t like mushrooms or shellfish, but will at least pick around them and maybe even try them if they’re not a major flavor of the dish. Olives, however, she downright refuses to eat, especially kalamata olives; she says the liquid from kalamata olives gets into the food and ruins it. :rolling_eyes: She’s also a baby about spicy food, which is frustrating to me because I love it. I eat spicy food whenever possible.

Still, it’s not as bad as it could be… one time my best friend invited me out to dinner so i could meet the lady he was dating at the time. We went to Red Robin (an Applebee’s-like restaurant chain that specializes in burgers). Out of the ~75 things on their menu the only thing she was willing to eat was boneless wings, but she requested “no sauce, remove the breading, and bring out an extra cup of ranch dressing”. The next time I saw him, I told him that while I was happy he’d found someone, if he ever made me eat with her again I would strangle him.

That’s how my girlfriend is with celery! She ate some soup once that had celery in it and said that even the chicken tasted like celery and that it had infected everything. I mean, I guess celery is an aromatic and making other things taste a bit like celery is sort of the point, but she’s got this finely-tuned celery detector like I’ve never seen.

She also doesn’t like broth. It’s a very specific thing. Thick soups, like potato leek soup or lentil soup, those are fine, as are thick stews, but something like chicken noodle soup, with a thinner broth, is a no-go. I dunno, it’s something about “it’s just flavored water” or something?

I feel a little bit like I overstate her picky eating–there are tons of regional cuisines she loves, she just has specific ingredients she can’t deal with. We can go out to eat damn near anywhere just fine, though I probably couldn’t ever take her out to a fancy tasting menu sort of meal, which is sad because that’s something I’ve always wanted to do. And she’s at least tried things on occasion. We went to a tapas restaurant on my birthday last year and she actually tried a bite of the octopus I ordered.

My goal is to cook a fish dish that she likes. I’m not really sure how, yet, or what kind of fish, but that’s my goal.

Shots fired at like ~700 years worth of French culinary innovation

6 Likes

Has she ever had real, homemade chicken noodle soup? With homemade broth? I say this because I used to hate chicken noodle soup too until I made my own. Good homemade broth could NEVER be mistaken with flavored water. It has this thicker, more velvety texture that you don’t get from canned soup or even canned broth.

Just, uh, don’t tell her what the broth’s made with. I’ve had guests hem and haw enough at eating broth made with chicken feet.

My girlfriend gets weirded out if there’s still some quills stuck in the bulk chicken parts we buy at the store. It’s like, yeah, that’s a dead bird, all right.

Anyway, I’m making cheese-stuffed meatballs. The entire apartment smells like garlic, which means I did it right.

1 Like

red beans were extremely delicious. I think the entire bottle of beer I added to the broth was a good idea.

3 Likes

I’m not sure, but I’ll have to try that. If she doesn’t like it, oh well, I get a nice, big pot of chicken soup all to myself. And I do like making soup.

1 Like

If you do make your own broth, you may wanna do a little reading on alternatives to mirepoix, given how much she hates celery.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/all-about-mirepoix.html

2 Likes

If anybody here wants to get into making Indian food, Madhur Jaffrey’s recipes are pretty great. There’s a Sri Lankan eggplant curry in Madhur Jaffrey’s World Vegetarian that’s one of the tastiest things I’ve ever made.

Other books I recommend: The Bread Baker’s Apprentice by Peter Reinhart if you’re looking to get into baking, and anything by Fuchsia Dunlop for Chinese and Szechuan cuisine.

2 Likes

Oo-wah! I’m a baking fiend!

sallysbakingaddiction.com/2015/01/30/strawberry-cheesecake-muffins/

These are the best muffins I’ve ever made. They’re crunchy on the outside and the inside is so perfectly moist. Baking them for a few minutes on higher heat to form a crust before lowering the heat to finish baking is so brilliant and is something I’ll be trying to integrate into all my muffin recipes.

sallysbakingaddiction.com/2016/11/28/red-velvet-whoopie-pies/

I absolutely love whoopie pies. These are good, but I think I prefer the other recipe I have with a marshmallow cream frosting filling.

4 Likes

Last night I was up until 1:30 AM making chili, because I didn’t get home from work until after 7:00 and I used dried beans :skull_crossbones:

It’s been literally over a decade since the last time I made a pot, and I’ve been missing it ever since I left Ohio, since no one eats Chili in the pacific northwest. I haven’t had a chance to sit down with a bowl yet, but the method I was taught is actually pretty similar to the one at

so I’ll leave this as a link to the recipe instead of trying to remember exactly what went into my own batch…

Friday night’s dinner is going to be this, plus cornbread muffins topped with gouda. I’ll take pictures to add to this post then!

1 Like

My late breakfast. It’ll be my lunch too and I’ll prob snack on it for a few days.

1 Like

I made fish tonight. By which I mean I put spices on some salmon and it was good. I think this was northwoods, chipotle, and Hungarian sweet and half sharp paprikas? Something like that. It was on the spicier side, I know that.

1 Like

I turned food into a lets play once

But now I live with my parents and my dad hogs the kitchen & isnt into the idea of “seasoning” his “food” it is very sad.

Decided to do something special today and actually make some minipizzas rather than eating some store-bought frozen pizza. Now, I didn’t make this all from scratch; both the pizza crust and the pizza sauce are pre-made stuff from the store (I’m not gonna spend a whole bunch of time makin’ pizza dough over here!). The toppings weren’t special, some standard cheese, some mushroom, bell pepper, and some chicken cold cuts (didn’t have any ham).

Before pic

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4e4l--XUAE3_Ms.jpg

After pic

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4e4oJ6WMAEhHqo.jpg

The results were pretty alright, actually! Nothing compared to the stuff all of you have showcased in this thread, but I like to keep things simple.

2 Likes

Welcome back to lets play cooking mama fuck you im not making borscht

TETRAZZINI

2 Likes

BETTER THAN MAMA

1 Like

I cook mostly so I can just have my favorites over and over. Yesterday I made curry rice. Like always, I made a bunch of both, so I can have it for the rest of the week. Or until tomorrow, if I end up eating it for every meal like I usually do.

Today I’m planning to make omusubi/riceballs. I’m doing it a little differently this time, because I have some pickled plums I can use as filling, and enough seaweed to cover the riceballs entirely, instead of just one little strip on the bottom. Apparently, riceballs with pickled plums last the longest, even outside the fridge.

I also got a blender recently, after being deprived of one my whole life. DIY smoothies and milkshakes (cookie butter milkshaaaaakes) are the best.