"I know my dreams are waiting to come true!" - Let's Play Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure - ON HIATUS

Mountainmen is my new favorite song.

I used to think there were no good PS1 games because it was such an awkward generation obsessed with exploring what they could do with 3D when the answer was “not much.” This LP and the nearly completed Brave Fencer Musashi LP have shown me that there are a few PS1 games that hold up, in both cases thanks to great writing and translation. Also Castlevania: SotN is legit great, but mostly because it was designed more like a SNES game than a PS1 game.

One really nice thing about LPing (Both watching and making them) is getting to uncover some hidden gems. I was always a Nintendo kid growing up, so I missed out on playing Playstation and Xbox games first-hand. LPing finally lets me see exactly what I missed out on as a kid. I blame the Zelda series for keeping me firmly attached to Nintendo for my entire gaming life!

Mountainmen is a great song, I kinda wish it went on for longer though. I really get a kick out of Cornet talking about her tragic backstory while someone sings “YO HO HO” in the background.

Oh man, I have such a fondness for the PS1 era! There was a lot of crap, but also a ton of gems… I’ve actually thought about showing Shaw Brave Fencer Musashi and an RPG called Thousand Arms, but they’re both so gosh darn long… If only I had infinite time.

I was never a Nintendo loyalist, but the N64 was the generation where they had my full and undivided attention. My take has always been that some of their first party games, along with some Rare titles and a few other random outliers, had enough charm and design savvy to get past the 3D-as-a-gimmick days, while the PS1 wasn’t so lucky. Revisiting the N64 last year revealed that I really just had a nostalgia bias and the objective quality of those consoles is at best equal, if not slightly favoring the PS1, but for LP purposes, both sides had lots of crazy interesting stuff going on.

Yeah, there’s definitely a lot of game in Musashi at least, the current LP of it has been slowly but steadily hopping along since October!

Part 17! Yo ho ho!

Part 17

(Also fun fact that’s relevant to the video: ‘calender’ is an actual word. While the game uses it incorrectly (We were right in that calendar would be correct), a calender is a “is a series of hard pressure rollers used to form or smooth a sheet of material such as paper or plastic film”. The more you know!)

1 Like

Noooo! Bunnies are adorable and the softest and super great! They’d only seem mean if you treated them the same way as cats or dogs; they’re prey animals they’ve got internal screaming and fear of being eaten built into their minds. Just gotta be kind.

They can be vicious though. My own rabbit was rather defensive of both my room and myself and she bit my GF right on the nose the first time the two met…

But anyway bunnies are great and I will not hear besmirching of them!

I dunno, as a kid I read this pretty in-depth book about the habits of rabbits and I’m 99.9% sure my assumptions are correct:

515MBTEMKYL

1 Like

Part 18! Watch in amazement as I am left baffled by something that isn’t actually all that baffling.

Part 18

Seriously though, in retrospect I have no reason to be so confused regarding how the waterstone/the ring were separate items, sorry if that was obnoxious for anyone! I think I assumed that, since our reason for going on the ship was to get the ring back that it was important to the plot. Surely that meant it would be related to the waterstone! I’m onto your clever scheme’s game… But no the diary entry in the last video mentions how they found the waterstone and the ring separately. I suppose it should be more of a surprise that the Captain has just been lugging it around in his coat pocket this entire time!

1 Like

Part 19! We journey to a new land and share what little we know about frog/toad biology.

Part 19

On that note, the species of toad that I mentioned who’s young erupts from their back is the ‘Common Suriname toad’ or ‘Star-fingered toad’. Yes, that’s a real thing!

If you want to see what that looks like, then click the video link below, but if you have Trypophobia (a phobia of irregular patterns or clusters of small holes or bumps) then stay far away! You will not like the looks of this toad!

Suriname toad

Also: As a forewarning there will not be an LP episode released next Sunday. @GenghisKait is going back to school to study Psychology, and her very first semester starts soon!

Since our very first LPs Genghis has done the lion’s share of the recording and editing for our videos, and should really be credited as the reason why were were able to maintain a weekly upload schedule for the many years we’ve been LPing.

As school is going to be her new priority in life, we are going to take a pause from Rhapsody so that she can get a feel for her new school workload. We might return to Rhapsody in a few weeks once she’s gotten a handle on her school work, or we may need longer before we can start posting again.

We thank all of our followers for tuning into our LPs, and we hope that it won’t be too long before we’re putting out videos again (I know that I for one really would like to know how Rhapsody ends)!

Thank you all for your support, and please join me in wishing @GenghisKait success in school!

2 Likes

Good luck with school-type stuff, @GenghisKait.

1 Like

Congrats on going back to school Genghis!

1 Like

Thanks all! Hopefully back soon. :slight_smile:

Was saving the latest video for a rainy day, so I just caught up. Looking forward to seeing Frogberg, I’m hoping it’s a frog blur. Have a good school!

1 Like

Per the OP’s request this thread’ll be locked while the LP goes on hiatus.