Colors Flying High - Let's Play Persona 5 Royal

In this case, by ‘secret’, I mean they had it on the regular menu but dropped it off at one point before they went under. You could still order it, it just wasn’t on the actual menu anymore. I think they had it on the thing over the kitchen as well. The place went under because the guy who owned it apparently was in massive debt for reasons unrelated to the restaurant, which sucks because I want my goddamn meatball burger.

Also, I fixed that double post. It was because I dragged it into the editor in the wrong spot.

My name is Jean Personnage which is French for Juan Persona which is Spanish for John Persona The Phantom Thief Who Shoots People That Ask Him For Help.

I don’t have many social links.

Click Here for Update 5

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Welcome to 04/13/2016. I decided around this point to stop recording the cutscenes in video format because it screws with my ability to take screenshots.

Kawakami: “As you all know, today is the volleyball rally. Head to the gymnasium once you’ve changed. Got it?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I don’t get how the teachers like him. From experience, when you get people who are total psychopaths like Kamoshida apparently is, you don’t typically see them completely change their personalities like this.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I like how all the people behind Mishima are pallete swaps. It’s not really something you’d notice in motion and it’s a good way to save effort on animation.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Shit, you know what’d rule? If there was an RPG where you get a faceless background character as a party member and it’s revealed that all of the background NPCs are actually one giant army of clones of the same person. Their final attack is having all the clones come together to form something like the final boss of Innocent Sin only it’s a giant boulder made of NPCs.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: And now, Hans Moleman Productions presents… Man Getting Hit By Football.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: If I was any good at editing I would absolutely edit this into the Simpsons clip and keep the “doink” sound effect when the volleyball hits him.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Looking back on it, this just… kinda doesn’t work. It’s hard to tell what’s actually happening - what it’s supposed to be is that Mishima sees the ball but just lets it hit him, I guess. There’s also supposed to be an element of Kamoshida not really giving a shit about it, but they don’t get that across great either.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I honestly think this could’ve been way more effective had he taken Mishima to the nurse and as soon as he gets out of earshot of everyone tells Mishima that he’s a fuck-up or something. Maybe punches him too.

Ryuji: “Get to know each other better, my ass. It’s just a one-man show for him to stroke his ego. And how he acted like he was worried about Mishima? What an abusive d-bag!”

Ryuji: “…Well, anyways. Now’s our chance to go look for the guys we saw were slaves yesterday.”

Ryuji: “Let’s look for the faces we saw at the castle. All the members of the team should be here today. I’ll be sure to find someone to spill about Kamoshida’s physical abuse. Just you wait, asshole.”

Ryuji: “The first one that popped out was a guy from Class D, so let’s start from there. That’s your class.”

Ryuji: “Hopefully, you can get him to talk without any issues. People have been avoidin’ me lately, so… oh, but you’re kinda in the same boat, huh.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Thanks for rubbing it in, Ryuji.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: New to Persona 5 is the ability to fast travel. The class we’re aiming for is 2-D: the first years are on the third floor and the third years are on the ground floor.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Having your head wrapped in bandages looks totally like a normal volleyball injury.

Ryuji: “Hey, that’s the guy who was over at that castle.”

Ryuji: “Kamoshida did it to you, right? Look, I ain’t gonna tell anyone you squealed. Just tell us about how Kamoshida’s abusin’ you.”

Ryuji: “Don’t try n’ hide it! We already know!”

Ryuji: “Well, uh… I…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Ryuji’s so dense that the possibility of lying and saying that they have something that’s incriminating but not conclusive doesn’t even occur to him.

Ryuji: “…All right, that’s enough. C’mon, let’s go.”

Ryuji: “Crap. If we keep goin’ at this pace, the ball game’s gonna end…”

obs64 2020-08-16 15-00-13-91

Ryuji: “I’ll check the Practice Building for people before clubs start. You handle the Classroom Building. There’s a third yer on the volleyball team that I remember. I think he’s in… 3-C?”

Ryuji: “He was gettin’ beat pretty badly at the castle. He might have some injuries here too…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This one took me a second to find because I didn’t immediately realize that the classes are numbered after what year they are, not what floor. They’re numbered based on floor in Persona 1 and Innocent Sin.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: John Persona stares him right in the face. “I am on the road crew. You can tell anything to the road crew. My milk is delicious.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: So yeah, lot of dialog from nameless NPCs in this one. Fortunately, today is MUCH shorter than yesterday. We’re almost done, in fact.

Ann: “It’ll be quick. Anyway, what’s with you? Like, how you were late the other day was a lie and all.”

Ann: “There’s that weird rumor about you too.”

Ann: “Right back at you. You’re not even in our class.”

Ryuji: “…We just happened to get to know each other.”

Ann: “What’re you planning on doing to Mr. Kamoshida?”

Ryuji: “Huh!? … I see. I getcha. You’re buddy-buddy with Kamoshida after all.”

Ann: “This has nothing to do with you, Sakamoto!”

Ryuji: “If you found out what he’s been doin’ behind your back, you’d dump him right away.”

Ann: “What’s that supposed to mean!?”

Ryuji: “You wouldn’t get it.”

Ann: “Anyway, people are already talking about you two. I don’t know what you’re trying to pull, but no one’s gonna help you.”

Ryuji: “Why’s she gotta be so aggressive all the time?”

Ryuji: “We just went to the same middle school. Anyways, that’s not what we’re here to talk about. I had no luck on my end. What about you? Did anything like someone’s name turn up?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I can’t find a clip of it on Youtube, but this is almost straight out of Shirokuma Cafe. It’s an anime about a polar bear who runs a cafe and does nothing but make bad puns the entire time.

Ryuji: “Huh…? …Special ‘coaching’, huh?”

Ryuji: “True. I always see the guy covered in bruises. Let’s go talk to him before he leaves.”

Mishima: “Sakamoto? And you, too…!?”

Ryuji: “C’mon, we just wanna chat. Kamoshida’s been ‘coaching’ you, huh?” You sure it’s not just physical abuse?"

Ryuji: “What’re you talkin’ all polite for? Anyways… we saw him spike you today. Right in the face.”

Mishima: “That was just because I’m not good at the sport…”

Ryuji: “Still, that doesn’t explain all the other bruises you’ve got.”

Ryuji: “Is he forcin’ you to keep quiet?”

Mishima: “That’s…”

Kamoshida: “What’s going on here?”

Mishima: “I-I’m not feeling well today…”

Kamoshida: “What? Maybe you’re better off quitting then. You’re never going to improve that crappy form unless you show up to practice.”

Kamoshida: “Well, Mishima? Are you coming to practice or not?”

Mishima: “… I’ll go.”

Kamoshida: “As for you, any more trouble and you’ll be gone from this school for sure.”

Ryuji: “Bastard…”

Kamoshida: “Didn’t the principal tell you to keep in line?”

Kamoshida: “Hmph. Just don’t get in the way of my practice. All these unsettling rumors are making the students anxious, after all.”

Ryuji: “That’s your own goddamn fault.”

Kamoshida: “This won’t get us anywhere. Let’s go, Mishima. Shujin Academy is a place where those with aspirations come to learn. Unworthy students like yourselves don’t have any right to be here.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This? This whole thing could’ve been rolled into that anime cutscene.

Mishima: “…Yes, sir.”

Ryuji: “That asshole… he’s gonna pay for this!”

Mishima: “…There’s no point.”

Ryuji: “Huh!?”

Mishima: “Proving that he’s physically abusing us… is meaningless.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I mean, I get this kind of thing happens in real life (even though most of that happened after Persona 5 was made) but they treat Kamoshida like he’s yakuza or something.

Ryuji: “This has gotta be a joke…”

Mishima: “Don’t be a pain. You don’t understand what I’m going through. Shouldn’t you of all people know that nothing’s going to help!?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Unfortunately, we get marched right upstairs so I can’t look at the TV. What I did do though, since I think this is the first night we can do it…

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The Band-Aces aren’t much: they’re a revival item that leaves the character at 50% HP. The real treasure here is the three Hogyoku Apples, which are a full heal for the entire party.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We also get 50,000 yen. This will help IMMENSELY early on when we’ll need to spend a bunch of money on boosting social stats.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I’m going to put the 14th in this update because the 15th and 16th are both long cutscene days from what I remember.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Nah, that’s Sevens and only if you go in the clock tower. Have you heard the one about how Clair de Lune sells a Legendary Gun, but you have to order something disgusting to eat it?

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Shiho certainly looks more beaten up than the last time we saw her.

Ann: “That bruise above your eye… is that from practice, too?”

Shiho: “Y-Yeah…”

Ann: “Are you sure you’re not pushing yourself too hard?”

Shiho: “Shouldn’t you take that?”

Ann: “It’s probably just my part-time job… I think.”

Shiho: “I… should get going.”

Ann: “Shiho… are you sure you’re doing okay?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Yep, she looks fine. Nothing wrong there.

Ann: “Today won’t work… I’m… I’m not feeling so good. Sorry… bye.”

Shiho: “…What? Oh… I’m in the way, aren’t I? Sorry…”

Shiho: “Huh…? Um, well… Hm, you don’t look familiar. Could you be that transfer student from Class D?”

Shiho: “Um, this might not be any of my business, but don’t let the rumors get to you, okay?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: They do not bother me. My name is Juan Persona. I work on the road crew. I do important work on the road crew.

Shiho: “I’m glad to hear that. My best friend is often misunderstood too, all because of her looks…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Your best friend is Lisa Silverman!? I mean, she kinda is.

Shiho: Ah, sorry. I didn’t mean to drag on like that. Anyway, I have to go practice. I’ll see you around."

Ryuji: “Is that what it looks like?”

Ryuji: “Kamoshida had to have told 'em something! At this rate… looks like we’ll have to go to him directly.”

Ryuji: “I know… but seriously, isn’t there something we can do? Can you think of anything?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: So here’s the thing. The game never really gives a valid reason as to why this shouldn’t work, and I think this is part of why Kamoshida isn’t a great villain. In a setting like Persona 4’s I could see something like Kamoshida being golf buddies with the chief of police, which shields him from any abuse inquiries. I dunno, I just feel like when your villain can be defeated by a really simple and obvious question they’re just not well-written.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Once we get through the first two options, the third one that we need to do to progress opens.

Ryuji: “The king…? You mean that other world’s Kamoshida?”

Ryuji: “I didn’t think of that, but… is there any meaning to -”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Oh look, it’s Morgana. Outside of the dark world, he’s a cat.

Ryuji: “That voice… is that you, Morgana!?”

Morgana: “How dare you, up and leaving me the other day!”

Ryuji: “The cat’s talkin’!?”

Morgana: “I am NOT a cat! This is just what happened when I came to this world! It was a lot of trouble finding you two.”

Ryuji: “Wait… you came to our world!? Does that mean you’ve got a phone!?”

Morgana: “You don’t need one when you’re at my level. I did get pretty lost making my escape though…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I feel like the only time the phrase ‘you don’t need one when you’re at my level’ should be used is in DBZ.

Ryuji: “That aside, why can you talk!? You’re a cat!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: God I wish this was Persona 2 so that Morgana’s origin story could be that someone spread a rumor that Garfield is real and thus Morgana was born, not realizing that Garfield doesn’t actually talk in the comics… or does he?

Morgana: “How should I know!?”

Ryuji: “You hearin’ this too?”

Morgana: “You guys are having a rough time of this, hm? I heard you mention something about witnesses.”

Ryuji: “Oh, shuddup.”

Morgana: “You know, I could tell you a thing or two about what to do about Kamoshida. You were pretty close just a moment ago.”

Ryuji: “God, that condescendin’ attitude! This thing’s gotta be Morgana!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Morgana still uses the cartoon cat portraits even when he’s a normal cat, by the way.

Ryuji: “Ack! Quiet down!”

Ryuji: “Meow? Does that mean only us two can understand what you’re sayin’?”

Morgana: “Looks like it.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I really, really need some fanart of Jon Arbuckle as Joker and he’s cursed to be the only one who can understand Garfield. It’d be like a Stephen King novel.

Ryuji: “What the hell’s goin’ on? Anyways, what you were talkin’ about earlier… is it for real?”

Morgana: “You’re quite the skeptic for being an idiot.”

Ryuji: “Hey, tell us more. Then again, this probably ain’t the best place…”

Ryuji: “Enough of that! You said you know how we can do something about Kamoshida, right?”

Morgana: “It has to do with what this guy was talking about earlier. You’ll need to attack his castle.”

Ryuji: “What do you mean?”

Morgana: “That castle is how Kamoshida sees this school. He doesn’t realize what happens in there, but it’s deeply connected to the depths of his heart.”

Morgana: “Thus, if the castle disappears, it would naturally impact the real Kamoshida.”

Ryuji: “What’d happen?”

Morgana: “A Palace is a manifestation of a person’s distorted desires. So, if that castle were no more…”

Morgana: “Precisely! You sure pick things up fast!”

Ryuji: “But… is that really gettin’ back at him?”

Ryuji: “You for real? That’s possible!?”

Morgana: “And since the Palace will no longer exist, he’ll forget about what we did there as well. Not only will we be able to bring Kamoshida down, but there won’t even be a trace of our involvement.”

Ryuji: “That’s amazing! You are one incredible cat!”

Morgana: “True, except for the cat part!”

Ryuji: “So? How do we get rid of the Palace!?”

Morgana: “By stealing the Treasure held within.”

Ryuji: “Stealing…?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The concept of stealing has never occurred to Ryuji.

Morgana: “I’ll tell you more once you agree to go ahead with this. It’s my most valuable, secret plan after all. If you want to help me out, I’ll gladly teach you. What’s your call?”

Ryuji: “Our luck’s runnin’ dry lookin’ for witnesses. Guess we have no choice but to go along…”

Morgana: “…Good. Oh right, there’s one more thing I should tell you.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We’ve actually seen this before. This is a direct call-back to Innocent Sin, where during Caracol it’s possible to have Yukino’s shadow kill herself if you fuck up a dialog option.

https://www.lp.zone/uploads/default/optimized/3X/2/b/2b1da63a3a6074d83c89d7708abedf67f1861178_2_690x436.png

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Even though the real Yukino is outside the dungeon at this point, when we met up with her again on the non-canon run of Caracol in the Innocent Sin LP…

https://www.lp.zone/uploads/default/optimized/3X/1/3/13b44e29b4401da6ed4bab64069e361cd2bb0e63_2_690x436.jpeg

https://www.lp.zone/uploads/default/optimized/3X/e/2/e2ac181f65359b3453705215af0aacaf8e0747ff_2_690x436.png

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Basically, if your shadow dies, you go braindead. Of course, on the canon run, Yukino survived.

Morgana: “So…”

Ryuji: “They might die!?”

Morgana: “Will you listen to everything I have to say first?”

Ryuji: “Would their death be our fault?”

Morgana: “Aren’t you determined enough to face those kinds of risks?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I mean, Kamoshida’s not really anyone we care about so there’s really no reason not to kill his shadow.

Ryuji: “Hey… what do you think?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: By “interested” I mean “interested in putting a bullet in Kamoshida’s shadow.”

Ryuji: “For real!?”

Morgana: “Sheesh… I come all this way, and this is what I get. It’s not like anyone will ever find out.”

Ryuji: “That’s not the point!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I feel like the whole “No, don’t do it, if you do it you’ll be just as bad as him!” thing is a bad cliche by this point. I get that Ryuji is a dumbass but still.

Morgana: “Isn’t this your only option? I’ll come back later. Make sure you’ve made your decision by then.”

Ryuji: “I’ll try and see if I can figure out another way. C’mon, let’s get outta here.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We make it no further than the school gates before Ryuji decides to text. Seriously, he’s like a clingy boyfriend.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: For the record, all the conversations on the way back are basically “I wonder if Ann is having an inappropriate relationship with Kamoshida.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: On the way back, at Shibuya Station, we run into Ann on her phone.

Ann: “Wait, what!? That’s not what you promised! And you call yourself a teacher!?”

Ann: “This has nothing to do with Shiho!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I thought it would be amusing to be John Persona for a bit while we still have the ability to pick our dialog options freely.

Ann: “Haven’t you heard of privacy?”

Ann: “…No, I was out of line. Sorry. So how much did you hear?”

Ann: “Shiho…”

Ann: “It’s nothing at all… nothing…”

obs64 2020-08-20 20-48-53-15

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Ann then runs away because her night job as Lisa Silverman is coming up and she can’t let anyone know they’re the same person.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We find her in the underground mall, just across from the juice stand.

Ann: “Why…? Why do you keep worrying about me?”

Ann: “It was just an argument.”

obs64 2020-08-20 20-50-37-12

9_2iVBrO_400x400: John Persona just kind of stares awkwardly.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: “Huh? Oh, sorry, I was on another plane of existence.”

Ann: “I wasn’t asking for a serious response… but I do feel a bit better now. I’m gonna head home.”

Ann: “I’ll try and think of a way to persuade Kamoshida. Well… thanks.”

Mishima: “Are you leaving?”

Shiho: “What is it?”

Mishima: “Mr. Kamoshida’s asking for you. He’s in the PE Faculty Office.”

Shiho: “What did he say?”

Mishima: “…I don’t know. Well… I have to go.”

Sojiro: “Don’t gimme those lies. By the way, you haven’t been hanging around any bad influences, have you?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: John Persona, hang out with bad influences? Never. John Persona isn’t even capable of hanging out.

Sojiro: “…All right. Even if you do hang with people, just be careful you don’t choose someone who’ll ruin your life.”

Sojiro: “Look at the time. Seriously, think about how I feel having to stay up here waiting for you.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We’re then forced into the bedroom, which we cannot leave. This is something I forgot to mention - in the base game at least, if you go into the bedroom at night you’re stuck there.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: And that’s it for this update. Next time, another long day with a fuckload of cutscenes, most of them unnecessary.

1 Like

Separate post because it’s one of those date-limited things, but the first P5D stream will likely happen after we reach 04/20. 04/15 and 04/16 will probably be separate updates because they’re both long cutscenes, and the 17th, 18th, and 19th will likely be a single update because they’re all short days. 4/20 will also be an incredibly long day.

I can’t say how long it’ll take me to actually reach 4/20, but if anyone wants to co-commentate on the P5D stream, let me know.

1 Like

On the one hand, you might could ask if John Persona, A Talking Cat?, and Historically Dubious Rebel using their protected status at the only ones who can go into the mind palace and render Kamoshida a vegetable without fear of identification or retaliation could resemble Kamoshida using his protected status to do whatever he wants to students, and wonder what darkness could be at the end of the road Our Heroes are on.

On the other hand this is an Evil High School and the only staff we’ve seen are Coach Abuse, Ms. I Can’t Do Anything, and Principal Kingpin so I’m probably overthinking this.

It’s either that or I’m turning that talk in the cafe into a “John Persona what the fuck are you talking about?” meme.

1 Like

I mean, I don’t think those things are comparable at all even if you removed the overtly evil staff that allows it to happen.

I don’t think it’s overthinking by the way. I think even when a game is… faulty, in ways, you can still get something from it by analyzing it. For all the flaws Persona 5 probably has, it is a legitimate question to ask on “are we any different from the bad guys, because we ARE basically mind fucking people into being good which is kinda nasty”.

And there’s something to be gained from the realization that no, not at all. You’re nothing alike and what the Phantom Thieves are doing is, while super fucked up, also the right choice in the situation from a moral standpoint.

1 Like

I am disappointed Reality!Morgana didn’t get normal cat portraits. Why did they even make Royal if they weren’t going to fix the most glaring mistake? (… that a department outside of writing could handle.)

I can appreciate Ryuji’s desire to not murder someone. He’s a high school student who wants to do the right thing, but it turns out being able to infiltrate people’s psyche isn’t as easy an out as he wants it to be. For now. But from an outside perspective, yes. Please dunk Kamoshida in the trash ASAP.

1 Like

Part of my problem is that could have worked if Kamoshida wasn’t so over the top. If the question was something more like “Is what this guy did really bad enough to warrant mind controlling and/or killing him” and there was at least some ambiguity it could work.

It’s because art costs money and Royal was a cash-in.

Principal Kingpin really is the best way to describe him, and now I have to wonder if Hashino watched Netflix Daredevil (which was an okay show but the acting was… very on and off) and was like “Shit, I gotta have that.”

1 Like

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Just as a heads up, this update contains off-screen sexual assault, attempted sexual assault and a suicide attempt. In other words, it’s the same kinda meh writing we’ve seen up to this point. If you find any of those things disturbing, I’ll just sum up this entire update in two sentences: Shiho attempts suicide and Ann is captured by Shadow Kamoshida before Joker and Ryuji save her and she awakens into the heroine from Shin Megami Tensei 1 in a catsuit. There’s a fuckload of tutorials and a tutorial bossfight. and let you skip the entire thing. Come back on 4/16.

Summary

9_2iVBrO_400x400: It’s 4/15, and time for another day full of tutorials I really don’t need because I’ve played the first two games.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: There are three branches of government. One always tells the truth, one always lies, and the third has already evacuated the nation’s GDP into their offshore bank accounts. Using one question, how can you solve for X?

Ushimaru: “The National Diet is legislative, the Cabinet is executive, and the Supreme Court is judiciary.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: As opposed to the National Diet in America, which is more along the lines of carnivore vs. vegan.

Ushimaru: “This division of power provides checks and balances, which ensures no one branch becomes unstoppable.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Shinzo Abe banging on the front door of a bar at 3AM: “You can’t lock me out! I’m unstoppable!” The LDP was a mistake. (Edit: Abe announced his resignation while I was editing this, so I guess he’s not unstoppable anymore. The LDP was still a mistake.)

9_2iVBrO_400x400: One thing I will give this game credit for: watch how in the next few cutscenes, they manage to hide Morgana somewhere. I never noticed this the first time I played it, because I’m nearsighted and my couch was way too far back from the TV. I feel like everyone who worked on this game did an amazing job and then Hashino just fucked up.

Morgana: “No matter how much thinking you do, there’s only one option. You’d be better off just listening to me.”

Ushimaru: “Hm? Did I just hear a cat just now?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Who said that? Which one of ya’ll dead motherfuckers just said that shit? Was it you, string bean? You skinny-ass lookin’ motherfucker? Turn around and say it again!

9_2iVBrO_400x400: No, I didn’t mistype that, by the way. He actually says “Did I just hear a cat just now”.

Ushimaru: “Hmm… could that rumored cat be somewhere nearby? Settle down! We’re in the middle of an important lecture!”

Morgana: “If only he knew I’m reading this too…”

Ushimaru: “Enough! This is a classroom!”

Ushimaru: “Hey! Stay in your seats! Do not step foot outside of this room!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The first time I saw this scene, I was immediately reminded of a similar scene from Great Teacher Onizuka. On a side note, I had not seen the anime for that since around 2005 and hoo boy does it look dated. They made a reboot called Paradise Lost which I read like half of then stopped.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Ann is, of course, staring because Shiho just did a perfect swan dive into a flip before busting through the moonroof of the principal’s Cresta and driving off into the sunset. Unfortunately, because the Cresta was a 1998 model with like 350,000 miles on it, she doesn’t get far.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Also, Ushimaru is an airplane now. I’m now imagining him going “Fuck this shit, I worked for Honda for 35 years and now I’m a goddamn Cessna!” and then making engine noises with his mouth, jumping out the window, and flying off like an airplane with his arms outstretched, his hands flapping like ailerons. Years later, an isekai anime is made based on his life story, in which the protagonist is hit by a runaway helicopter and reincarnates as a Cessna.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: On our way into the practice building, we come across the worst girl in this game. Her name is Makoto, and a lot of people accuse her of being Marie 2.0 and ruining the plot.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: If anyone found out that Ushimaru became an airplane, they’d realize there’s nothing stopping them from becoming airplanes as well and then this turns into a Junji Ito story.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: She’s the student council president, by the way. Because of course she is. Clearly this is a deconstruction about how the Class Rep type is usually the best girl, but she’s actually the worst.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I like to think that the two un-named teachers are actually only an inch tall and that’s why the camera is at this perspective.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We’re about to enter the Hashino Zone, where the plot will temporarily stop making sense.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I’d also like you to note that Shiho is very much still alive and also still awake.

Ann: “…Huh? …Kamoshida!?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The way he says “volleyball team” for no reason kind of makes me remember the magic words from Stone Ocean. Stone Ocean was dumb.

Ryuji: “That guy… hey, wasn’t Mishima acting weird?”

Ryuji: “…We’re gonna make him talk this time.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Can you spot Morgana? He’s behind Ryuji on top of the locker.

Ryuji: “Why’d you run like that? Huh!?”

Mishima: “I didn’t run…”

Ryuji: “She jumped and tried to kill herself!”

Mishima: “L-leave me alone…”

Ryuji: “He’s right! We ain’t tryin’ to get you busted. We won’t say you talked either!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: What is it with this game and the passive voice? Seriously.

Ryuji: “Wait, what!?”

Mishima: “I was called by him a number of times too… to the teacher’s room. It wasn’t just me or Suzui either. He’d nominate someone when he was in a bad mood… and hit them.”

Ryuji: “So the physical punishment thing was for real…”

Mishima: “But yesterday, he called Suzui out of the blue. She didn’t make any mistakes or anything…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: So yeah, in addition to random beatings, breaking Ryuji’s leg, driving Shiho to suicide and leaking Joker’s information, Kamoshida also forced himself on Shiho.

Ryuji: “He didn’t…! That son of a bitch!”

Ryuji: “You bastard! The hell did you do to that girl!?”

Kamoshida: “What are you talking about?”

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/thumb/a/ab/07_comic_large.jpg/800px-07_comic_large.jpg

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Okay, Ryuji. You’ve got the chair kicking part down, now all you have to do is piss in a bottle and throw it at Kamoshida. He’ll never see it coming, then you punch him for mini-crits.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The best part is that someone actually ripped Ryuji’s model into GMod so you can in fact have Ryuji throwing Jarate. Unfortunately, no one has ripped Kamoshida’s model.

Mishima: “What you did… wasn’t coaching!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: By the way, spotted Morgana yet? He’s kind of obscured by the portraits.

Kamoshida: “What did you say?”

Mishima: “You… you ordered me to call Suzui here… I can only imagine what you did to her…!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I don’t know who voices Mishima in English or what he sounds like, but I imagine him sounding like Huey in The Phantom Pain.

Kamoshida: “You’re going on and on about things you have no proof of… basically, you’re making these claims because you can’t be a regular on the team, right?”

Mishima: “That’s not what this is about…!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Man, that’s the fastest coma diagnosis I’ve ever seen. Keep in mind this is maybe five minutes from when we saw Shiho on the stretcher… when she was still awake and talking. I’m pretty sure comas don’t work that way.

Mishima: “No… that can’t be…”

I like how all three of them have cell phones but not one of them thought to video this.

Ryuji: “You goddamn…”

Kamoshida: “This again? Does this mean we need to have yet another case of ‘self-defense’?”

Ryuji: “But still!”

Kamoshida: “Oh? You’re stopping him? What a surprise. There’s no need to hold back. Why not attack me?”

Kamoshida: “…Ohhh, you caaaan’t. Hahaha, but of course you can’t!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: And here’s our arbitrary deadline. How this makes sense, I don’t know.

Ryuji: “Wha-”

Mishima: “You can’t make a decision like that…!”

Kamoshida: “Who would seriously consider what scum like you say? You threatened me too, Mishima, so you’re just as responsible.”

Mishima: “Huh?”

Kamoshida: “To think you didn’t know why I kept someone as talentless as you on the team. You act like a victim, but you leaked his criminal records, didn’t you?”

Kamoshida: “It’s all over the internet, correct? How terrible.”

Ryuji: “Mishima…?”

Mishima: “He told me to do it. I had no choice…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I can only read his dialog in Huey’s voice now.

Kamoshida: “Now, are we finished here? You’re all expelled!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Kamoshida has a very busy schedule. As soon as he’s out of here, he has to go kick a box of puppies. Not the box itself, but removing each individual puppy and kicking it. Then he has to go steal a runabout.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This is why doing the whole “Personas don’t work in the real world anymore” thing was dumb. Seriously, just imagine him being all “Hahaha I can get away with anything” and then Joker lights him on fire like Tatsuya did with Principal Hanya.

Ryuji: “I can’t believe this asshole’s gettin’ away with this!”

Ryuji: “Huh…? Oh right, we have that!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I’m going to spoil something from the very beginning of Eternal Punishment, because this entire first segment of the game is kind of a call-back to it. In Eternal Punishment, Joker is a magic hitman/serial killer who takes kill targets through the Joker Game, where people call their own cell numbers and say a name. His first target that’s shown in EP is Principal Hanya, so technically we made the canon choice in Innocent Sin.

Kamoshida: “Huh? Have you lost your minds? You worthless kids aren’t making any sense, but sure, go ahead and try. After all, you’ll have plenty of time to kill until expulsion…”

Ryuji: “We gotta hurry up and go to that world and beat the shit outta that asshole!”

Morgana: “We’re not beating him up. We’re simply stealing his distorted desires.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I mean, we’re only going into his brain to steal his Ann-shaped sex doll. Honestly, that’s kind of the lamest thing you could do with a magic castle where random shit you think comes to life. I’d be re-enacting my unwritten Death Note fanfic where a frustrated interior designer gets their hands on the Death Note and writes down “Open Concept Interiors” and the cause of death as “Devoured by weasels”.

Morgana: “Can I assume that you’ve made up your minds about this - about how he might suffer a mental shutdown?”

Ryuji: “…I have. Someone almost died because of him! I don’t give a rat’s ass what happens to him anymore!”

Morgana: “And you?”

Morgana: “…Then it’s settled.”

Ryuji: “By the way, is gettin’ rid of a Palace hard? You’ve tried it before, right?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: And that’s how Morgana got banned from every Denny’s in a ten-mile radius.

Morgana: “…When did I ever say that?”

Ryuji: “…Eh? WHAT!? Were you just pretendin’ to know!?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I wonder if Kamoshida is an evil version of the Devil Summoner protagonist or something with how quickly he spreads rumors.

Ryuji: “So you came all the way to tell us that?”

Ann: “If you’re going to deal with Kamoshida… let me in on it too.”

Ann: “I can’t just sit back and do nothing after what happened to Shiho!”

Ryuji: “This has nothing to do with you… don’t butt your head into this.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I feel like if this was Satomi Tadashi still writing this, there’s a good chance the missing word would be “girlfriend.”

Morgana: “…That was harsh.”

Ryuji: “We can’t take her somewhere like that.”

Morgana: “I hope she doesn’t do anything too crazy. Women can be much bolder than men at times.”

Ryuji: “We just gotta hurry up and deal with Kamoshida. Let’s go already!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I kind of hate the whole Phantom Thieves thing. It sounds like something a ten year old would come up with.

Ryuji: “Huh? Phantom thieves?”

Morgana: “Those who covertly sneak in and stylishly steal Treasure - that is what we become!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I think Morgana has the term “thief” confused with “male model” but whatever.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: “It sounds cool” says local caveman Ryuji Sakamoto, while trying to figure out how fire works.

Ryuji: “So we just gotta say the school, Kamoshida’s name, and… “castle”? Then we end up in bizarro world.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Oh, speaking of the school’s name. I read a manga recently (it was bad) that claimed that the word “Shujin” is Japanese for “Master” but can also be used for “Husband”. “Master Academy” certainly sounds like the kind of place someone like Kamoshida would teach. If this was Satomi Tadashi there’s a good chance they’d go for the double meaningful kanji and have Joker be gay (“Yeah, I met my husband at good ol’ Husband High.”)

Ryuji: “…How the hell’s all this work? Someone make it?”

Ryuji: “That’s kinda creepy, but eh, seems useful enough. We’ll show that effin’ Kamoshida!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Ryuji is about 50 years too young to be quoting The Doors.

Ann: “What is this!?”

Ryuji: “T-Takamaki!?”

Ann: “That voice… Sakamoto!? And… are you Kurusu-kun?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Nah, he’s John Persona.

Ryuji: “Wh-wh-why are you here!?”

Ann: “How should I know!? What’s going on? Hey, where are we!? Isn’t this the school!?”

Morgana: “I see. Perhaps she was dragged in because of that app thing. If multiple people can enter with the person who uses it, it stands to reason it’ll pull in anyone nearby.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: So okay, why can’t we just pull what they did in Persona 4 and throw Kamoshida into his own palace? P4 already established that your shadow wants nothing more than to kill you, all you’d have to do is toss him in and he’s dead.

Ryuji: “For real?”

Ann: “Wait, so THIS is related to Kamoshida!?”

Morgana: “The Shadows are going to find us if you make a scene.”

Ann: “No way! It talked! Oh my god, it’s a monster cat!”

Morgana: “Monster…?”

Ann: “You better explain what’s going on! I won’t leave until you do!”

Ryuji: “Looks like we gotta force her. But… how’re we supposed to do that?”

Morgana: “Just take her back to where we came in. That’s how it worked last time, right?”

Ryuji: “O-oh, yeah. Can you lend me a hand?”

Ryuji: “We can’t deal with Kamoshida if we don’t!”

Ann: “What’re you-”

Ryuji: “We’ll explain after everything’s over!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Naturally, they had to do it this way because Hashino.

Ryuji: “Whoa, s-sorry, I-I didn’t mean-”

Ryuji: “…That’s not important!”

Ann: “You guys seriously - ah!?”

Morgana: “You should’ve checked the tools you used! Why do I - the one who was just watching - know more about it than you two!?”

Ryuji: “Sh-shuddup!”

Ryuji: “Ah geez, Takamaki found out right when we were startin’ off… we gotta deal with this fast!”

Morgana: “That girl’s name is Ann Takamaki, right? Lady Ann…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Seriously, Morgana has no taste in women.

Morgana: “We’re counting on you, Joker!”

Ryuji: “Joker? That a nickname?”

Morgana: “Don’t refer to it in such a lame way. It’s a codename. What kind of stupid phantom thief would use their real name!? I’m not down for that!”

Morgana: “And there’s no telling what kind of effect yelling our real names will have on the Palace. It’s just a precaution.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Cool, my codename will be Iron Cock. I am so glad I didn’t use that video in Innocent Sin so I could use it here. I almost did during the bomb arc.

Ryuji: “So, uh, why’s he Joker?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Well obviously because it’s a reference to the two Jokers in Persona 2.

Morgana: “Next up is you, Ryuji. You’ll be… let’s see… ‘Thug’.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Thug makes me think of Tony Hawk’s Underground and how it’d actually be a big-brain move to make your codename Tony Hawk because no one would believe you exist.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Now we just need a Bulk and we’ve got Power Rangers.

Skull: “Oooh! That sounds awesome! I’m Skull! What do we do about this one’s code name?”

Morgana: “Well, if Joker thinks it’s easier to call me that, then I’ll go with it. All right. From here on out, we’re Joker, Skull, and Mona.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The next bit of this is tutorials, which I’ll be skipping over for the most part.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Holding R2 allows you to dash, indicated by the motion lines on the sides of the screen. This is mostly for moving through areas you’ve cleared of enemies, since running acts like a magnet for encounters.

Kamoshadow: “However, I can’t allow that trash to ransack my castle! Strengthen the security! Kill them on sight! I’ll reward whoever brings me their heads.”

Skull: “Hey, Mona. Can’t we just beat the crap outta him and call it a day?”

Morgana: “Look at those soldiers, idiot! It’d be suicide. And I’m sure you don’t want a repeat of last time.”

Morgana: “Besides, don’t you want him to confess his sins? There’s no point to beating him up. We need to steal his materalized desires… the Treasure.”

Skull: “Fiiiine. So where is it?”

Morgana: “It has to be somewhere in the depths of this castle. Let’s infiltrate further while he’s out here!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We then get a tutorial on demon negotiation, which I’m sure all of you got enough of in the earlier games. Just like P1 and P2, we can ask for money or items: but there’s not much of a point to doing this. We don’t have the ability to ask them to join us because this is a tutorial.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: More awkward localization.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: By the way, notice how Ryuji is holding that shotgun. That is not how you hold a shotgun. Even on a low-recoil shotgun like the AA12, that’s just asking to have your wrist injured.

SaturnJoker: This is how we get new Personas, in addition to fusing the ones we find in battle. We actually get to keep this Pixie, which will be useful because before we leave Kamoshida’s dungeon for real, we’re going to need four different arcana of Persona: Chariot, Lovers, Death, and I think Hierophant.

SaturnJoker: One nice thing P5 does is that it keeps track of weaknesses that you’ve already seen. In this case, we know that Bicorn is weak to lightning.

SaturnJoker: The game will even give you a special cut-in if you hit a weakness.

SaturnJoker: Normally I’d be way stingier with SP, but in this case we don’t have much further to go and it’s basically a free Persona.

NEW PERSONA: Bicorn

Origin: Unknown, possibly England

First Appearance: Shin Megami Tensei II

Evil unicorn associated with adultery.

SaturnJoker: Bicorn is kinda garbage, but we’ll be keeping him around as fusion fodder. He’s also useful as a cheap compendium grab later on when we do the Hermit confidant.

SaturnJoker: Hear that? That’s the sound of Jung being thrown out a window.

SaturnJoker: We continue down the hallway and find a door.

SaturnJoker: There’s three battles in this room, and I only managed to ambush the first one. I could actually have gotten Pyro Jack as a Persona… except I forgot that they’re weak to wind and not just ice.

SaturnJoker: Unfortunately, what happened was that as soon as I killed the first encounter, the second and third ones spotted me. One Bicorn isn’t too bad - guns take it down quick.

SaturnJoker: Except I forgot that in P5, encounters can “chain” if you get spotted.

SaturnJoker: Thankfully, Ryuji had just enough ammo left to knock them all down.

SaturnJoker: At the end of the room is a chest with a weapon I only equip because the game lets you do it automatically via a dialog prompt. Seriously, with the buffs that guns got, we have almost no reason to ever use physical attacks.

Morgana: “A safe room. We can discuss our strategy inside. There are a lot of places even I don’t know about in here…”

Ann: “I just said the words Sakamoto said, and I ended up-”

Ann: “Huh?”

Skull: “Just gettin’ this far’s been a real pain in my ass!”

Morgana: “It’s all because you guys provoked Kamoshida, you know. Still… he seems to be awfully on guard…”

Skull: “Anyways, how’re we supposed to steal that Treasure thing?”

Morgana: “Don’t be so hasty. First, we’ll need to secure an infiltration route.”

Skull: “A what?”

Morgana: “A path to the treasure’s location.”

SaturnJoker: I’m no expert, but I have a feeling those last couple of lines were something they needed in Japanese because there’s no word for “infiltration route” and it uses katakana.

Morgana: “But honestly, I think we’ll need a little more manpower in order to accomplish this. At the very least, one more person would be nice…”

Skull: “Hey, you say you don’t have your memories and all, but somehow you still know about that kinda stuff? Do you think this thing’s really got amnesia?”

SaturnJoker: I believe in Morgana if only because he’s so annoying that he’s unlikely to turn evil and get killed off.

Morgana: “At least you’re a step above that moron.”

Skull: “Don’t call me a moron! You sure talk big, but what if it turns out you’re just some stray cat in the end?”

Morgana: “That can’t be…”

Skull: “Princess…?”

Skull: “Who’s this princess they’re talkin’ about?”

Morgana: “I should probably look into this!”

Skull: “Stuff like the castle and that navigation app are mysterious… but Morgana’s got 'em both beat.”

Skull: “Crap, sorry! What was I again? Oh yeah - Skull!”

Skull: “That was fast!”

Morgana: “Your friend… Lady Ann!”

SaturnJoker: What is this, Kingdom Hearts?

Skull: “Wait, what? We sent her home earlier.”

Morgana: “If Lady Ann does indeed have the app, it could be possible.”

Skull: “Oh no… don’t tell me it got put on hers just like mine!? Dammit! We let her out for her own safety, and she just came back in by herself!”

Morgana: “We need to hurry and rescue her!”

SaturnJoker: I don’t know why, but Morgana saying that reminds me of Half-Life: Full Life Consequences. John Persona who was Ann Persona’s brother was one day sitting in an office, typing at a computer.

Skull: “She totally doesn’t get what’s goin’ on!”

Morgana: “Let’s hurry! We have to save her!”

SaturnJoker: It’s a nice touch that if you look, one of the armors is uh… melting. By the way, see how Joker is at half health? I was too stingy to heal him and forgot that Morgana has Dia.

Kamoshadow: “So, this is the intruder.”

Ann: “More importantly, what is this place? Why’s the school turned into something like this?”

Kamoshadow: “I can’t believe you mistook my Ann for someone like her.”

Kamoshadow: “Are you afraid?”

Ann: “What is that outfit? Have you lost your mind?”

Kamoshadow: “I do as I please here. After all, this is my castle… the world of my desires.”

Ann: “What the–!? Wait… is this some red-light district?”

SaturnJoker: I just realized something. No one has done fanart of Groverhaus as a Palace and I feel like that’s a mistake. Grover walking around with a giant building inspector badge approving the load-bearing drywall. Seriously though, “This is my castle, the world of my desires” sounds like something Shadow Grover would say as he approves another mismatched window placed at the exact height for a child to fall out of it.

Kamoshadow: “What a lively slave.”

Ann: “This isn’t funny! Enough of the bullshit, Kamoshida!”

Kamoshadow: “The girl’s decided to tell me off. What do you think of that?”

SaturnJoker: Naturally, Fake Ann talks like a valley girl.

Kamoshadow: “In that case… she should be executed. Now then, how should I play with you? Shall I tear you into little pieces?”

Ann: “Are you kidding me?”

SaturnJoker: Why does Kamoshida have an entire harem of Chie?

Skull: “Is that what he thinks of the girls on the volleyball team!?”

Morgana: “Hey, that’s-!”

Kamoshadow: “Just when I was about to start enjoying myself…”

Ann: “What’s the deal with this guy!?”

Skull: “You little…”

Kamoshadow: “How many times are you gonna come back? I bet you’re just like those thieves. You came because you’re pissed at me, huh?”

Kamoshadow: “But, ah… I forget that chick’s name, but it’s your fault she jumped, you know.”

Ann: “Huh?”

Kamoshadow: “You were so reluctant to throw yourself onto me that I had her take your place.”

Ann: “You bastard!”

Skull: “No!”

Skull: “Dammit!”

Kamoshadow: “Just sit back and enjoy the dismantlement show.”

Skull: “H-Hey, what’re we gonna do!? Takamaki!”

Ann: “Is this… my punishment for what happened to Shiho?”

Kamoshadow: “That’s more like it. You should’ve looked like this from the start.”

Ann: “Shiho… I’m so sorry…”

Ann: “Huh…? No… I don’t want that. You’re right.”

Ann: “Letting this piece of shit toy with me… what was I thinking!?”

Kamoshadow: “It’s like I always say. Slaves should just behave and-”

Ann: “…Shut up! I’ve had enough of this! You’ve pissed me off, you son of a bitch!”

SaturnJoker: Meet Ann’s Persona, Carmen.

New Persona: Carmen

Origin: France (fiction)

Persona 5 Original

Fictional Romani dancer from a novel of the same name by Prosper Merimee. Known for being a femme fatale and smoking a lot.

SaturnJoker: Ann grabs a guard’s sword and uses it to cleave her fake in half.

obs64 2020-08-23 10-20-55-49

SaturnJoker: The “guard captain”, also known as Belphegor, is our mini-boss for this run. Ann stands in a very… strange pose that’s likely to give her some serious back issues in the future. In combat, she uses whips and SMGs - a direct reference to the heroine of Shin Megami Tensei I.

SaturnJoker: Belphegor is weak to fire, and being a mini-boss rather than an actual boss means we can knock him down and get an All-Out Attack on him for free.

SaturnJoker: He responds by casting Magaru, which Ryuji is weak to. This is one of the problems I have with Persona 5 - if this was Persona 1 or Persona 2, we’d just change Ryuji’s Persona to something not weak to wind.

SaturnJoker: I didn’t capture it, but this fight taught me something I didn’t know about how guns work in this game. Guns do more damage the more shots you fire. For Joker’s gun, the first shot did 11 damage and the final one did 88. This means that Morgana’s gun is objectively the worst because it scales the same as Joker’s but has fewer shots.

Ann: “Wait!”

Skull: “Why’d you come here, man!? And more importantly, how!?”

Morgana: “Hey! Is that how you speak to a woman?”

SaturnJoker: SIMP ALERT!

SaturnJoker: In the base game, these forward-facing portraits didn’t exist, and I swear something looks kinda off with Ann’s masked portraits.

Panther: “Wait, what is this thing? Is it alive? How can it talk? And… where in the world are we!?”

Morgana: “J-Just calm down. Everything’s going to be okay; don’t worry.”

Panther: “How am I supposed to calm down!?”

SaturnJoker: Honestly, I don’t know, other than that the character designer was horny. Ann’s outfit is probably the least practical of all of the Fresh Princes: it has a tail for no reason, is bright red, and just… yeah no. Even Joker’s outfit is kinda pushing it with that cape. Ryuji’s the only one who looks like he’s ready for thievery.

Panther: “Ugh, what’s with this!?”

Morgana: “Well, I’m stumped… a search party will be coming for us soon.”

Morgana: “There’s no time to explain. We don’t have a choice. Let’s retreat for now!”

Skull: “We were just gettin’ fired up, and you had to go and get in the way… rgh, fine… here, gimme your arm.”

Ryuji: “Looks like we made it back - hey, are you okay?”

Ann: “Well, pretty much… wait, I lied. I’m still confused about all of this.”

Morgana: “You may be safe now, but a lot sure did happen back there… at any rate, we stand out too much here. Let’s relocate to a safer spot.”

Ann: “Whichever’s not carbonated.”

Ryuji: “Uh, they’re both actually.”

Ann: “Then…”

Morgana: “What about me?”

Ryuji: “Huh? But you’re a cat.”

Morgana: “Have you calmed down, Lady Ann?”

Ann: “Um… Morgana, right? I really am talking to a cat… this feels so strange… oh, sorry! You’re not a cat, right?”

Morgana: “It’s only natural that you’re confused. Demanding that you understand all of this after what you went through is asking too much.”

Ann: “Honestly, I still can’t believe what happened… and that power, my Persona…”

Morgana: “It’s the will of your rebellion, Lady Ann. With it, you’ll be able to fight in that other world.”

SaturnJoker: I feel like letting Hashino have a Blu-Ray disc worth of space was too much. He just kinda crams text in for the hell of it.

Ann: “So if what you told me is true, we can make Kamoshida have a change of heart, right? Is it really possible? Can we actually force him to confess his crimes?”

Ryuji: “The volleyball team’s keepin’ quiet about this, while teachers and parents turn a blind eye.”

Ryuji: “If guys like us try and complain, they’re just gonna shoot us down. Goin’ all in on this plan is the only choice we got.”

Ann: “Then let me help too. I want to make him pay for what happened to Shiho. He just keeps going like nothing happened, even after what he did to her… I’ll never forgive him.”

Ryuji: “Wait, did you just say ‘let me help’? You mean you want us to take you along?”

Ann: “Don’t act like I’m going to drag you down. Weren’t you watching? I can fight too.”

Ryuji: “Hey… what should we do?”

Morgana: “I agree as well. We are lacking in manpower, after all. Don’t worry, I’ll protect her.”

Ann: “Even if you said no, I’d just go in alone.”

Ryuji: “Oh right, she can go in by herself… I guess it’d be more dangerous turnin’ her down. Rgh… fine.”

Ann: “Then it’s decided. Well, I hope we get along!”

Ann: “I’m going to make Kamoshida atone for what he did. Not just for Shiho’s sake… but for everything he’s done.”

Ann: “I won’t let any more people suffer because of him. I’ll do whatever it takes!”

SaturnJoker: I really, really wish they’d removed the extraneous Sae cutscenes from Royal. Like, imagine Paper Mario 64 (or Thousand Year Door) if they just had random Peach cutscenes for no reason.

SaturnJoker: Ann is the reason that the Pixie we automatically picked up will be useful. However, I might try a different strategy with that Pixie assuming we can fuse Personas already that should put us slightly ahead of schedule - it’s a strategy that would only work with the extra money you get from having a P5 save.

Ann: “Hey, give me your number and chat ID. And, um…”

Ann: “I’ll be counting on you, then. Same goes for you, Morgana.”

Morgana: “The pleasure is all mine, Lady Ann.”

Morgana: “What a kind girl… such admirable consideration for others… and the innocence to cast herself into the jaws of death to achieve her goal…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I hate Morgana so much.

Morgana: “She cares about her friends, and she’s beautiful to boot… what a girl! She’s captured my heart…”

Ryuji: “You know, it’d be better if this group could get together quick from now on…”

Morgana: “True. Our best option would be to make a secret hideout where we could discuss these things.”

Ryuji: “A hideout, huh? I like the sound of that.”

Morgana: “The school rooftop would work. It seems like nobody goes up there. For the time being, that will make the perfect hideout.”

Morgana: “I can’t contact you from inside a Palace, so I’ll stay in this world. That being said, I’ll need someone to take care of me.”

Ryuji: “…This’s all you. There’s no way I can at my place.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Let me tell you something. When I was recording this, and I saw that line from Ryuji, I was like “Oh right, because his dad owns a sushi restaurant” and then I realized that no, that’s Eikichi. I wish they’d hurry up with the Eternal Punishment translation.

Ryuji: “Well, now we have our hideout, so let’s meet there tomorrow!”

Morgana: “Okay! Let’s go look at my new residence for this world!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Even if you’ve never played Persona 5 before, there’s a decent chance you’ve seen fanart of Tae Takemi here. She’s consistently one of the most popular characters and considered by some to be the best girl. As a result, she gets a TON of fanart.

Sojiro: “Hey, lay off the customers. Sorry if he was rude, doctor.”

Tae: “…I don’t mind.”

Sojiro: “Come back again. Phew… that’s it for today.”

Sojiro: “Oh, that customer just now? She’s the head doctor over at that clinic down the street. Rumor has it she gives pretty crappy examinations, and sells some weird homemade medicines on top of that.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The medicine is called femdom, and overdoses of it cause conditions like Monster Girl Quest. In fact, I am VERY surprised no one has done fanart of Tae as Alice.

Sojiro: “At least, that’s what I’ve heard. I haven’t been there myself. They really should just leave her alone. It’s not like she’s getting in the way of their lives…”

Morgana: “Hey are we there yet?”

Morgana: “Is this some kind of abandoned house!?”

Sojiro: “I was wondering why I heard meowing. What did you bring it here for!?”

Sojiro: “Not my problem. Look, this place is a restaurant. Animals are a no-go…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: It’s like he’s never heard of the myriad of cat cafes in Tokyo. You know, where he is right now. My dentist has a dog he brings to work and I feel like if that’s got approval, a cat is nothing.

Sojiro: “Though I guess you might stay on good behavior if you’ve got a pet to take care of… fine…”

Sojiro: “But keep it quiet when we’re open for business. And don’t let it roam downstairs, or I’ll toss it out.”

Sojiro: “Oh, and I’m not gonna take care of it. That’s all on you.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I mean, it can’t be any more dangerous than my house, where we have a touch-controlled stovetop that the cat can jump onto and has turned on more than once while sitting on the burners.

Morgana: “Was that the ruler of this place? He seemed pretty understanding for someone who keeps you cramped up in this dump.”

Morgana: “Then again, I suppose to normal people I just sound like a meowing cat.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I mean, my cat can talk, it’s just that the only thing he says is “Human! Get me more dry food from the cabinet! That one, right there! That one! Just reach up and get me some! I know I just ate not even half an hour ago, but I want more!” and then he does the whole ASPCA commercial look like he hasn’t eaten in weeks. He sounds kind of like the crows in Dark Souls 1.

Sojiro: “By the way… have you decided on a name? Morgana? Huh… I was hoping I’d get to name it…”

Morgana: “Looks like the chief likes me better than you. And to be honest, this place is heaven compared to Kamoshida’s cells. …Remember how you guys asked me before about what I am?”

Morgana: “To be honest… I don’t remember anything about my birth. I think the Metaverse’s distortions made me lose both my memories and my true form.”

Morgana: “It has to be! I mean, why else would a cat be able to talk like this? There’s no other possible explanation!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: If you’ve played Persona 4, this will sound very familiar. It was at this point in my original playthrough that I went “He’s just got the same backstory as Teddie, doesn’t he?”

Morgana: “There’s no doubt that the distortions were what caused me to lose my real self. I’m sure that once they’re purged, I’ll finally be able to get that self back…”

Morgana: “And I have a pretty good idea on how to do it, too. That’s why I was in the castle in the first place.”

Morgana: “Let me make myself clear: your taking care of me won’t be for nothing. It’ll be give and take.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Spoilers: Yes it is for nothing.

Morgana: “Due to my knowledgeable and dexterous nature, i have a lot of intel on infiltration tools.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We’ll see more of this tomorrow. For the record, I went through the entire game the first time without ever using an infiltration tool.

Morgana: “Whoa, I can’t tell you more unless we settle on a deal. In exchange for you keeping me here, I’ll teach you about these tools. How does that sound?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I vote for dropping him off at a shelter and seeing if we can find Yukiko’s phone number somewhere. Or Elly’s. Or Yukino and Anna’s since Yukino still has her Persona in this timeline. Hell, see if we can drop Ryuji somewhere and get Eikichi back.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: God dammit, John Persona!

Morgana: “I like that answer. Hehehe… then it’s a deal.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Okay, I’d like to point out that she’s interrogating a 17 year old. How many 17 year olds do you know with access to industrial fabricators?

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Morgana’s confidant is one of a handful that we do not need to do anything to advance. It’s done automatically throughout the plot and you will get a guaranteed max rank in it by the end of the game.

Morgana: “I’ll lecture you about the infiltration tools over time. By the way, the power you used in the Palace was seriously amazing. The stronger that power gets, the more reliable it’ll be as a trump card.”

Morgana: “All right, I’m gonna stick with you wherever you go from now on.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I’m just gonna cut the rest of it because it’s the game telling you that you get perks for having confidants ranked up. In reality, only about… maybe half of them give anything we give a shit about.

obs64 2020-08-23 10-33-54-88

Morgana: “You guys send messages to each other with that thing, right? I want in too, so I’m gonna have to ask you to type for me.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I like how they made this a dialog prompt, because Morgana is talking and John Persona is just going “Sleep. Sleep. Sleep.” in the background.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: My cat sleeps right next to my head, because he knows that’s an optimal location for shedding so that it’ll trigger my allergies.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: And that does it with yet another day that wouldn’t fucking end. The 16th will be shorter, and then we’ll hopefully get the 17th, 18th, and 19th into one update.

So… is every party member Persona a historical figure or a fictional character in the public domain? This is the weirdest sequel to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Also I’d like to imagine the character designer was showing their ideas and went, “So I’ve been playing this western game called Arkham City and I was thinking… what if Catwoman but red and blonde?”

Kamoshida

They are. I believe all of the party member Personas but one are from Western literature, and the last one is Japanese literature instead. This is pretty much in line with Lupin III, which did mostly the same thing.

That reminds me that I saw a thing on the wiki when I was getting the portrait for Kamoshida that he shows up again in Persona Q 2 (which I’ve never played because I tried Etrian Odyssey once and hated it) as a Superman knockoff who then turns into a furry.

Before this update came out, I was talking to my friend about P5 and how silly it was you had to go to Kamoshida’s Palace three times. Then he reminded me that you have to find the Palace’s treasure, then leave and come back to fight the boss. But we’d both forgotten that Ann also has to awaken her Persona - and everyone knows that awakening a Persona calls for a nice nap afterward - so make that five times.

For years you’ve been asking “How do I make a 100-hour JRPG?” This is a 100-hour JRPG speaking. I’m the game who refused to take away your dungeons and thus destroyed your world. In the past, others have claimed to be 100-hour JRPGs, however that was only if you did all the sidequests and post-game content, and let’s be real here that doesn’t count. If you wish to be a 100-hour JRPG then come, buy all my spinoffs, and follow me. And also deliver all your exposition at least twice.

I’m excited to see why because literally every fan opinion I’ve seen is the exact opposite. Everyone enjoys Motorcycle Justice Kamen Rider Per5ona.

I mean I don’t know if it’s ever confirmed she is in a coma or not he might definitely just be lying.

More or less correct. The Chinese “shujin” stands for Husband, Master, and Host, while the Japanese “shujin” also covers those EXCEPT for husband, where instead shujin is “another’s husband”. A polite way of saying “your husband”.

And so it begins…

L’Amoureux. The Lovers. Unlike the typical Lovers, this card depicts a fued; a love triangle with Cupid’s spiteful arrows inciting love regardless of consequences. This is one of the Tarot cards that are most obviously “corrupted” or “unusual” compared to the standard. Unless you’re okay with being in a polycule in which case go at it. It’s also worth noting that the original card frames the third person as a sort of priest who is marrying the two off; given the context, less so in this Jokerfied version.

I wanna just grab Morganna by the head and just be like “you realize that just because her psyche form is a cat doesn’t mean she IS a cat, right?”

Le Bateleur. The Magician. Sleight of hand trickster, mountebanc, or otherwise. While The Magician represents someone who is coming into their own, discovering their abilities and finding a way to use them for good, Le Bateleur is more of a scoundrel. Not that that’s evil of course, but it’s a more self serving sense of learning what your abilities are. You are learning to build tools to cause problems on purpose. The “corrupt” symbolism here is obvious in the fact that Le Bateleur’s alchemy table is covered in blood.

1 Like

Oh no, Kamen Rider Per555ona!? But that show is terrible! And also…looks really cool… The pieces are coming together. Everything is connected…

1 Like

I just wanted to mention while addressing mail that I found out today there’s an LP of Royal that started just over a week after this one on a different site (I think it’s on SA and it’s on some “lp beach” site I’d never heard of until yesterday) by the person who did the LP of the base game that’s on the archive. I’m not killing this LP even if it competes with theirs because they hate this game for the wrong reasons and aren’t doing a 100% run anyway.

So here’s the fun part. When I did this game the first time, I didn’t know about the whole “every dungeon takes a minimum of 2 days to complete” bit and assumed it was just like P4 where you had to clear every dungeon in a single day if you wanted 100%.

I was incredibly stingy with my SP and barely made it to the cutoff point thinking I’d still have to fight the boss. Thankfully, I didn’t.

Oh, her DESIGN is amazing. It’s the writing (as usual) that’s the problem, but we won’t be seeing her for a few months yet.

1 Like

I think “I’m going to stop because someone else is doing it” is silly. You probably have some unique takes regardless, unless it’s like… Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain, where there is just a definitive experience you can watch.

Aah, okay.

Also I love that since this is an RPG and a Persona game, I have no idea if you mean in or out of universe months or not. Probably both!

Click Here for Update 7

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We made it. The game sort of does this in a pattern - there will be several long story days and then a bunch of shorter ones, and we’re more or less out of the first lump of exposition.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This is more or less another tutorial. On some days, Joker can get a seat on the train and read a book. This means we are going to want multiple books on us at all times, as we’ll have to read through most of them for social stat gains.

Morgana: “Doctors have the best medicine, huh… hey, wasn’t that one customer back at Leblanc a doctor?”

Morgana: “That’s not important here! Though she did have an interesting fashion sense… it might be nice to have some strong medicine to use in the Palace.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: With the extra money from my P5 save, we might just be able to buy some. The all confidants route in the base game required that you spend all of your money on social stats in the beginning.

Ryuji: “Let’s head to school together. I mean, it’s right there, but whatever.”

obs64 2020-08-23 10-36-08-31

Ushimaru: “You! Pay attention! Is that how you listen when someone’s talking to you!?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: It’s hard to capture, but Ushimaru throws a piece of chalk and hits Joker right in the head. His uncanny throwing skills are a reference to Inspector Zenigata in Lupin III Red Jacket - in Red Jacket, Zenigata has a pair of handcuffs on a rope that he throws.

Ushimaru: “That’s what you get for daydreaming! Kids these days have no respect for their elders.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This is one of the handful of checks that you can’t make the first time around. Unlike Persona 4 though, this check does show up again and when it does, we’ll probably have the stats to dodge it.

Ryuji: “Mkay, let’s get goin’!”

Morgana: “Hold on, it’s still too early for us to head to the Palace.”

Ryuji: “But why? Don’t we just gotta steal that Treasure thing?”

Morgana: “Don’t underestimate the dangers of that place. We need to prepare.”

Ryuji: “Ain’t that Persona shit we got enough to deal with it?”

Morgana: “That’s exactly what I mean when I say don’t underestimate it. You’ll die if you mess up in there. So again, we need to prepare before we head in.”

Ann: “But how exactly are we supposed to do that?”

Morgana: “I’m glad you asked, Lady Ann. First, we’ll need to find better equipment for all of you.”

Ryuji: “You talkin’ about weapons? Oh, I know a kick-ass place!”

Morgana: “In that case, you handle that side of things. The only other thing would be stocking up on medicine. Fatigue is unavoidable in a Palace…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: What’s funny is that Persona 3 actually had a fatigue mechanic where your character would get fatigued if you went into the dungeon too much, but they’ve long since done away with that. I remember watching a stream where the streamer got hit with fatigue and kept reloading their save trying to get the fatigue to go away by taking a piss (which has a chance of removing it).

Ann: “And where can we get medicine?”

Morgana: “Don’t worry. I know just the place. I hope you look forward to it, Lady Ann! Now then, Akira and I have some business in Yongen, so let’s head off for today!”

Morgana: “Just come with me! I won’t be able to get close enough by myself!”

Morgana: “The doctor who prescribes medication after a quick examination? She was sitting at the booth…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: At times I swear it feels like Innocent Sin is trying to break through. Doesn’t this feel just like Innocent Sin, where we’d do this and then go to Todoroki and spread a rumor that’s like “The goth doctor at the clinic sells medicine out the back door.” Then you go there and she sells cans of femdom.

Morgana: “I just realized something. If she’s the kind of doctor who gets sketchy rumors like that, maybe she’ll help us out. She’s somewhere in the neighborhood, right? Take me to her.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Tae’s clinic is right across the street from Leblanc.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The dialog loops if you pick anything but the first option.

Morgana: “Well, I guess that’s our only option. We’ll just have to go for it. All right, let’s step inside.”

Tae: “Hm? I feel like I’ve seen you somewhere before…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I should mention that Tae is basically a clone of the protagonist of Trauma Team, another Atlus game I’ve never played because all the Trauma games control like shit. They even have the same VA in English. Trauma Team’s main character was also a goth doctor with the same issues that we’ll see Tae having. Originality? In a game written by Hashino? Nah.

Tae: “Hmmm… well, whatever. So, what are you here for today?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: John Persona instead uses this as his excuse. “I am lethargic. I have spent the past three days doing nothing but teleporting bread into a desert in New Mexico without eating or sleeping.”

Tae: “…Fine. Please head to the exam room.”

Tae: “I’m going to prescribe you some pain relievers, okay? Actually, I still need to restock those…”

Tae: “So let’s go with sleeping pills instead. Sleep is the best medicine anyway.”

Tae: “Which type of pill do you want, a sweet-tasting one or a bitter one?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I was kinda tempted to pick that last option but I don’t think John Persona has hit rock bottom just yet.

Tae: “How about a stinky one then? Just kidding. There’s no such pill. All right, why don’t we stop beating around the bush…”

Tae: “I’m guessing you’re here because you heard the rumors about me, huh?”

Tae: “Who’s to say? But as a result, all I get are patients with ulterior motives now.”

Tae: “I guess high school kids have it tough nowadays too, huh? Well, fine. I’ll prescribe you some medication.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Somewhere, Eikichi and Lisa are just looking at each other going “Okay, which one of us made the new world so that instead of modern medicine, the doctors just cast Diarahan and Me Patra and call it a day?”

Tae: “I guess it’s fine. You seem pretty earnest, and you don’t look like you’ll be in any trouble. This is my private practice. All the medicine I dispense is original.”

Tae: “I have a license to make my own formulas. You’ve likely seen them being sold at various hospitals.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I swear, Atlus has no idea what a doctor does. What Tae is doing is drug development. This is done by people who have completely separate degrees from an MD - so it’s highly unlikely that she’d have a license to practice medicine.

Tae: “You have a responsibility to take care of yourself. So if that’s okay with you, stop by anytime.”

Tae: “Great. It’s nice that you’re so quick on the uptake. Saves me the hassle. You’re a pretty weird kid, you know? I wonder what you’re going to use the medicine for…”

Tae: “Well, as long as you don’t cause me any trouble, it’s not my problem.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We then get Tae’s shop menu, which reminds me a lot of No More Heroes. All of her medicine is insanely overpriced and I’m pretty sure I made it through the entire game my first time without ever buying any.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Note that we have 55,251 yen and most of that is from the save bonus. If we didn’t have that, we’d have a grand total of 5,251 yen… and we need to spend more than that on social stats in just the next few days to avoid a permafuck. Permafuck is the term I’m going to use for “a situation that would make it impossible to get 100% confidant ranks”. Yes, you can permafuck THIS EARLY IN THE GAME.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I’ll break this up by talking about permafucks some more. I looked at the guide, and getting 100% is a living nightmare in Royal. Not only do all the party covenants now max at 11 instead of 10 (requiring extra time) but we will have maybe 3 days to spare at the end assuming absolutely everything goes perfectly. In fact, as we’ll see a bit later, Atlus had to make changes to a lot of the confidant cutscenes just to make it possible to 100%.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: A… legendary drug, you say? Please keep this in mind for the next time we see Tae.

Morgana: “Sounds like they were talking about something dangerous… could that woman be hiding some extra strong medicine?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: She’s hiding the femdom equivalent of quaaludes.

Morgana: “I agree! If it’s that strong, it might come in handy at the Palace. All right, let’s come back when that man isn’t here.”

Morgana: “We shouldn’t involve people who have nothing to do with this. Keep the Phantom Thieves a secret, okay? Anyway, great work! That went really well!”

Morgana: “We might be able to get our hands on some decent stuff if this store really has model guns. Well, we can leave that for tomorrow. Let’s go home!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This morning is a glorified tutorial, so I’ll be skipping large parts of it. Today, we’re going into Shibuya proper.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This guy is Toranosuke Yoshida. He’s basically Anime Bernie Sanders, even though the two people the wiki claims he’s based off (he’s named after a Meiji-era politician but he’s really based off a former LDP politician) would both probably hate Bernie Sanders. Fuck the LDP, by the way.

Yoshida: “While Japanese society may appear to be thriving, many young people have not been as blessed as their elders. They have no jobs, no savings, no financial security whatsoever.”

Yoshida: “These young people should be tackling their futures head-on, but instead they’re too busy merely trying to survive.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This is more or less one of the actual arguments regarding Japan’s birth rate: people aren’t having kids because Japan’s economy has been more or less stagnant since the 1990s, wages aren’t increasing, costs of living are going up, and no one can afford to have kids. In reality, there’s a lot more to it, particularly involving Japan’s attitudes toward women.

Ryuji: “Eh, people give speeches all the time. Plus, politics are pretty boring anyways.”

Yoshida: “…Strange incidents are occurring. What is the cause of them all? The runaway train incident, the mysterious psychotic breakdown phenomenon… these are all signs of the end of our once peaceful days.”

Yoshida: “Now is the time for our politicians to show their strength, and yet…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Untouchable is owned by a guy named Munehisa Iwai, a reference to a gunsmith during the Warring States period who supplied Nobunaga with guns.

Iwai: “… You lookin’ for recommendations? I dunno, just buy whatever looks interestin’ to you.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: John Persona looks Iwai right in the eye and goes “I want the anime gun.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Iwai comes back and with one dismissive look, John Persona goes “No. The ANIME gun.”

[image credit: /k/]

9_2iVBrO_400x400: With beads of sweat dripping down his face, Iwai returns with the most anime gun he can find. John Persona takes one look at it. “No. It’s still not anime enough.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Iwai, shuddering, heads to the back room and makes a phone call.

[image credit: /k/]

9_2iVBrO_400x400: John Persona nods in approval. “Yes. The anime gun.”

Iwai: “Fine, whaddya want? An automatic? A revolver?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I’ll have two number nines, a number nine large, a number six with extra dip, two number 45s (one with cheese) and a large soda.

Ryuji: “Uh, automatic? Dude, why’re you talkin’ about cars now!?”

Iwai: “Listen, this here’s an enthusiast shop. My regulars’ll be mad if I let a casual like you hang around.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Look kid, there’s a two anime girl minimum on each gun, and you don’t even look like you could handle one.

Ryuji: “I’m not a freakin’ casual! I bought shit from here like, last week!”

Iwai: “Huh, can’t remember you.”

Ryuji: “You bastard…”

Iwai: “And you? Lookin’ for somethin’?”

Iwai: “Anyways… you should said before you two’re enthusiasts. I’m always up for helpin’ fresh faces. Some precautions first though: don’t go ‘round pointing ‘em at other people. Keep ‘em in a bag or somethin’ if you’re outside. Oh, and don’t let the fuzz catch wind of you having’ em. I don’t need them comin’ around here.”

Iwai: “How 'bout that? Me too. Now, if you look close, you’ll be able to tell these’re models. Real guns feel… different. Maybe someday I’ll show you the real good stuff though - if you got the guts for it, of course. But for now, you get the beginner selection. Just sit tight, I’ll bring 'em out.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Ryuji then gives us 5,000 yen to buy a weapon for him. Now, here’s the thing. Buying anything here if you do not have the save bonus would be a permafuck.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Each gun is between 4,000 and 4,500 yen or so. If we did not have the save bonus, we’d have around 10,000 yen. We need a minimum of around 4,000 to avoid a permafuck situation… and realistically need more like 6,500 (there’s one purchase we’re going to make tomorrow that can be put off until after the palace).

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I wind up buying a new gun for everyone. I also like how in the UI, everyone else has their arcana listed and Ann is just… Ann. The new guns have roughly twice the stats of the starting ones. I’d normally be very hesitant to do this as this only works with the save bonus and would not be a genuine experience for someone who buys P5 Royal and plays it without the existing save file. This also is not a situation where you could simply find a P5 save file and import it: saves on the PS4 are encrypted because trophies.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: By the way, never buy Morgana’s gun upgrades. You’ll notice that his gun has less attack than Ann’s (55) or Joker’s (70) and fewer rounds than either one. Basically, Morgana cannot into guns and this is why we’ll be replacing him ASAP.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I also buy new armor for everyone that has double the defensive stats, because I have the money to do so. The melee weapons aren’t really worth it, and probably never will be now that guns have replenishing ammo. Again, normally I wouldn’t buy armor for Morgana but I did so because I need to keep him alive for this dungeon (and ONLY this dungeon).

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We also can’t sell guns once we’ve bought them.

Sojiro: “You talking about that psychotic whatever thing people’re going on about?”

obs64 2020-09-01 19-16-50-52

Sojiro: “Only an idiot would believe a preposterous story like that. Oh and sorry, but we’re closing soon.”

Sojiro: “Thanks for stopping in. Please come again.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I actually just read a thing in a Japanese newspaper (in English, not in Japanese) about how a lot of the bars, cafes, and traditional inns in Japan are closing down for good because of the COVID pandemic. Chances are that the bar Leblanc is modeled on probably doesn’t exist anymore.

Sojiro: “Sheesh, what a pain… oh… what do you want? If you’re bored, go wash some dishes or something.”

Sojiro: “Doesn’t concern you. It’s all good as long as the shop doesn’t fail. I’m not gonna go wearing a fake smile.”

Sojiro: “Who knows? Maybe I’ll end up living on the streets. As long as I’m here, the world leaves me be. No annoyances or troublesome people to deal with. It’s like my own personal hideaway.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Oh, right. The wiki claims that all of the major NPCs in this game are based on historical figures, but the one they have for Sojiro is incredibly weak. He’s basically supposed to be an older Daisuke Jigen from Lupin III… minus everything that made Jigen an interesting character.

Sojiro: “I’d be kinda screwed if I lost it, but I guess you would be too. So, you better at least try and be useful around here. Anyway, I’m leaving now. Don’t cause any trouble.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I’m going to skip a lot of this because it’s a tutorial about the crafting system. The crafting system is bunk and there’s no reason to ever use it because it costs money. Crafting boots Proficiency, but there’s other ways to get that which don’t cost money - this means that most of the crafting we’re going to do is going to be for stat gains and ONLY stat gains.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Lockpicks are used to open locked chests in dungeons. They’re almost never worth it - most of them contain healing items worth less than what you’d pay to make the lockpick in the first place.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Haha no we’re not you stupid cat. While that wouldn’t necessarily be a permafuck (we probably COULD clear it tomorrow and re-arrange the schedule to accommodate) we won’t be doing that.

Kamoshida: “Good morning.”

Kamoshida: “That admirable behavior won’t do you any good once you’re expelled.”

Kawakami: “Kurusu-kun. A word with you, please?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I hope you’re all ready for a cutscene added in Royal to remind us that Not-Elly exists. The game will keep doing this because it hates us.

Kawakami: “It won’t take long.”

Kamoshida: “Oh, you know this guy, Yoshizawa?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I might as well reveal Not-Elly’s real name at this point: Kasumi Yoshizawa.

Kasumi: “Yes, he lent me a helping hand earlier.”

Kamoshida: “I recommend you steer clear of the likes of him if you have any consideration for your future. Remember the discussion we just had? There are a number of students in this school you shouldn’t get involved with. This one’s at the top of the list.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Yes, he’s grooming Kasumi now. I’d like to remind you that she’s like… I think 15.

Kasumi: "Oh, the delinquent transfer student?

Kawakami: “Sorry to interrupt, but I need to use the guidance office.”

Kamoshida: “Oh, pardon me. We should be going too - don’t want to get in the way of guiding this delinquent and all.”

Kasumi: “…Please, excuse us.”

Kawakami: “After you.”

Kawakami: “Well, there was that little exchange just now, but that’s not all… he gave me a brief lecture this morning, and your name came up. Something about the dangers of a lack of supervision…”

Kawakami: “I don’t mean to pry, but… just make sure you don’t go causing trouble, okay?”

Kawakami: “Oh, and one more thing. That girl outside the office - you didn’t make a pass at her, did you?”

Kawakami: “All right. Mr. Kamoshida has a real close eye on you… apparently, you’ve been getting involved with Sakamoto-kun. You seem well acquainted with Yoshizawa-san as well. Maybe you’re just naturally drawn to athletes?”

Kawakami: “Sorry, bad joke. That’s all I wanted to discuss. You’re free to go.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I skipped the part where Morgana whines at us to go to the palace. Today, we’re going to head to the library, buy some crap, and then see Tae again. And maybe learn some fun facts about salmon.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: First off, the library. The library offers a small selection of books that we can check out one at a time: this means we need to both be on a school day and also a school day where we have control after school to change books. There’s one for each of the party member Personas, as well as Speed Reader. We REALLY, REALLY want to get Speed Reader ASAP because it halves the time you need to read a book… but we can’t now because our Knowledge isn’t high enough.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: In addition, each book gives you a bonus for finishing it.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Next, we need to go to the secondhand store (right up the street from Leblanc) and buy a few things.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The first thing is the DVD Player, which is an absolute necessity. This is because on some nights, we’ll get time at night to do something but will not be able to leave Joker’s bedroom - the DVD Player is one thing we can do on those nights. We could put this off until after the first dungeon without it being a permafuck, and if you’re not using the P5 save bonus I strongly recommend you do so.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The second thing is a Silk Yarn and a Tin Clasp for making another lockpick. I actually only bought one of each, at a total of 3,200 yen. Not buying these is a permafuck, but you could also do it tomorrow. The reason is that we need these to boost proficiency early so we can do a different activity that we need for a confidant next month.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Our final stop today is the Clinic. There’s one more item we need to buy, but we don’t actually have any use for it until tomorrow. Ignore the “IM” icon, by the way. The game will complain at you every day that you don’t do a dungeon when one’s available.

Tae: “Huh?.. Now I remember. You’re the kid who was at Leblanc.”

Tae: “…Regular medicine won’t do the trick?”

Tae: “…Very well. Just head into the examination room for now.”

Tae: “It was obvious, actually. You call that hiding?”

Tae: “… Not that I care, of course. I was going to dispose of that medicine anyway. I got a little too carried away with it.”

Tae: “But tell me, why would a high schooler like yourself be so interested in that medicine? It’s very strange, indeed. You don’t seem to be very athletic, so… what exactly are you up to?”

Tae: “Studying…? Oh, for your entrance exams? So you’re looking to improve your concentration and reduce fatigue? Hm, that’s not the best idea.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: But… but… if we don’t ace the entrance exams, we can’t get into Toudai and Narusegawa will never love us! We’ll never fulfill our childhood promise! I remember absolutely nothing about that show.

Tae: “But if that’s what you want to do…”

Tae: “I have no obligation to help you with that. Why don’t you have an energy drink or something?”

Tae: “You’re really annoying, you know that? The medicine is really expensive. And it’s not something a high schooler can get his hands on. It costs almost as much as a car.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: So… it’s cheaper than a good… probably 40% of prescription drugs?

Tae: “Got it? So how about you just go home?”

Tae: “What, like part-time help? …Do you consider yourself someone with a good amount of stamina?”

Tae: “But I haven’t been able to find one, even after putting an ad in the paper. …Are you up for it?”

Tae: “Do you want to do it or not?”

Tae: “Worried about the side effects, huh? Well, you can relax. Rest assured, my autopsy is guaranteed to find out exactly what part of it killed you.”

Tae: “What, aren’t you going to take it? The exit’s right there if you want to leave.”

Tae: “Well? Go on.”

Tae: “I can’t believe you actually drank it…”

Tae: “Wow… still doing okay, huh? Hm. Not bad, for a high schooler.”

Tae: “Do you remember anything from the moment you took the medicine until now? Hm… by the look in your eyes, I’d say you don’t.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: In case you’re wondering, yes, Tae is easily the most popular P5 character among hentai artists.

Tae: “You briefly woke from your coma, but you were completely dazed during the entire examination. You eventually lost consciousness and fell back asleep.”

Tae: “Are you out of your mind? Only an idiot would have drank that.”

Tae: “Fine. By the way, the reason you lost consciousness was because of the taste.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Remember how I said to keep in mind that Tae is basically selling a “legendary” medicine? I’m pretty sure this is a mis-translation, because this entire scene is meant to be a reference to Maya’s legendary weapon in Innocent Sin (and Eikichi’s, but to a lesser extent).

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Functionally, surstromming is the same thing as kusaya - it’s just that surstromming is always herring whereas kusaya can be a bunch of different types of fish… but not salmon. There’s your fact about salmon. In Innocent Sin, Maya got her legendary gun from the French restaurant, which required her to eat a plate of spaghetti topped with kusaya because food in Sumaru City works a lot like Silent Hill.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Meanwhile, Eikichi and Lisa are on the phone with Jun asking which one of them allowed kusaya to exist in the new world. None of them will admit to it, and then Tamaki calls to let them know that it was in fact Satomi Tadashi’s fault.

Tae: "Oh well. All that matters is that thanks to you, I was able to get some good data.

Tae: “Okay, it’s my turn to make good on my part of the deal. That’s why I waited until you woke up. I don’t want the general public to know about my original medicines. So, you’re strictly prohibited from disclosing what happens here to anyone… understood?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Uh, I think it’s a bit late for that, given that Joker came here because he’d heard about the rumors.

Tae: “Then it’s a deal. As long as you come here for it, I’ll give you the medicine at a good price whenever you want. I may even add additional selections, in time. …I look forward to your continued patronage.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: To be honest, Tae is one of the most useless confidants in the game. We’ll only wind up maxing her out near the very end.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Sae’s going at this like one of those phone hotline psychics. “Your blender must’ve broken down at some point… someone had to provide you with homemade smoothies… who was it!?” She’s acting like Joker is Golgo 13 or something.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Right now, Tae’s confidant is garbage in terms of the perks it provides. This will be true until roughly Rank 7, when she provides THE BEST ACCESSORIES IN THE GAME.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Even if we had a better reason to come back, we can’t - Tae’s confidant is gated by your Guts stat and we’d need a minimum of Rank 2 to progress it any further.

Tae: “Oh, you don’t remember that part, either? Well, I was saying that teenage test subjects are quite valuable in the medical research industry. So I’ll provide you with the medicine for your entrance exams, and in exchange you’ll be my guinea pig.”

Tae: “If you’re able to move now, you can go home. All right, take care.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: One positive to Tae’s confidant is that progressing it also gives you 2 points in Guts every time you do so.

Tae: “And I’ll put together some compensation by then, for all your efforts today. But you’re not getting that in writing.”

Tae: “Based on today’s results, I think I can whip up some new medicine for next time. Drop by when you’re ready for it.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I got a little worried here because you’ll see a music note appear after you make this choice, but as far as I can tell it doesn’t matter what you pick… not that I’d happen to know that because I had to record this entire thing twice or anything.

Tae: “You live close by, right? Try not to collapse on your way home, okay? I’m not really in the mood to write up an autopsy. So take care of yourself.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: John Persona, cause of death: femdom.

Sojiro: “You make just one mistake and your life’s over. Instead of hanging around, you should be studying or something. If there aren’t any customers, you can use the shop.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Basically, Leblanc can be used to train any of our social stats now. Previously, I think you could do all of them but Kindness… but I might be wrong on that. It’s been a while.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Down on the table here is a new feature in Royal - crossword puzzles. Crossword puzzles are a free stat raiser for Knowledge that does not consume time. They show up every so often, and repeat if you missed one - but we don’t want to miss one as until we have our social stats maxed out, missing one would be a permafuck. Besides which, I think there’s a trophy for doing all of them.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The puzzle gives us a couple of down boxes that we can’t fill in as a hint for what the highlighted word is. Can you guess what it is?

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Morgana, you’re a fucking idiot and I’m dumping your dumb feline ass the second we get a new party member.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: And there we go, a free 2 points in Knowledge. Generally, Royal expands a lot on what you can do at night because of how tight the schedule is.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: When we get to Joker’s room, Morgana has us clean it up. I’m not entirely sure where Joker would put all this stuff, since as far as I know Leblanc is basically just the kitchen, the dining area, and this room upstairs.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: If Morgana is anything like my cat, he’s going to eat the plant, then throw up a lot, and then repeat in a cycle forever because he never learns anything. We’ll need to spend money on this plant tomorrow.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: If I remember right, we never actually wind up reading either of these books. There was a trophy in the base game for reading all the books, but the way it worked was that at the end of the year, you made a save about… three weeks before the last day and just plowed through all the books you had no reason to read when building social stats.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We also get the CRT TV for free. This is a major change, because if I remember right you had to buy the TV from the secondhand store separate from the DVD player. In fact, many 100% guides for the base game never buy the DVD player at all because of how tight money was in that game.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: There’s another glorified tutorial where two students tell each other about the library. We know about this already.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Honestly, most books are shit. The last good one I read was whatever that last Cory Doctorow collection was, the one with Unauthorized Bread in it. That was good until it went too far up its own ass. The Arsene Lupin collection I have wasn’t bad either, but it’s a pain in the ass to read because of how fucking French it is.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Holy fuck this guy. This guy looks like a rejected SMT villain. I forgot about him.

Hiruta: “You must all be shocked by what happened with Suzui-san. It was a shock to me too…”

Hiruta: “Although I can relate to how she felt. Her eyes were devoid of life as they looked upon this sad, hopeless world.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: And they said Nyarlathotep wasn’t in any of the games after Eternal Punishment.

Hiruta: “Well, I suppose everyone views the world differently. Let’s have a test. You there…! Take a look at this.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: It’s kind of dumb that this would be a question since it’s meant to fool you, but…

Hiruta: “Heh, that’s correct. It seems your eyes see the truth.”

Hiruta: “Isn’t it strange that they view the same image differently? Humans don’t see the world as it is. We simply process visual information with our brain.”

Hiruta: “How you see the world is nothing more than a trick of the mind… it is all mere cognition. There is no proof that the world each of us sees is the same.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: So what you’re saying is that… they’ll never see or hear the things you do, and as far as you’re concerned they all can go to hell? On a side note, Rick James’s backup singers fucking rule.

Morgana: “How you see the world depends on your brain’s cognition, huh… optical illusions and the Metaverse might be more similar than you’d think.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This is another thing that can happen - your confidants will text you and ask you to spend time with them. If I remember right, you got a small bonus for accepting invites via IM in the base game… but they must’ve done away with that in Royal. We’re going to accept this, except first we have some shopping to do.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I’m… reasonably certain this is supposed to be a location that’s in Shin Megami Tensei 1, which also had an underground shopping area in Shibuya. It was where they introduced dark rooms, which were oh so fun to navigate when accessing the automap took three button presses and using the minimap cost SP.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: By FAR the most important shop here is the flower shop. Bio Nutrients can be used on the plant in Joker’s room every 16 days for 3 free points in Kindness (up from 2 in the base game). Later on, there’s a better and more expensive variant that gives 4 points instead (3 in the base game). In the base game, you had to buy a fuckload of those. This is important because it does not take time to apply them.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We can then use Ryuji’s IM to warp directly to him from the Underground Mall.

Ryuji: “This is my secret trainin’ spot. Er… was. Back when I was on the track team.”

Ryuji: “Actually, I’ve been thinkin’ about tryin’ to run again. Fightin’ in that other world was a total shock. I couldn’t move like I used to. It just felt… lame.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Speaking of that, I just bought a copy of the PC re-release of Ni no Kuni 1. I wish I had played it before I did NNK2 because NNK2 is basically a cheap asset flip of NNK1. NNK1 has actual anime cutscenes. Made by Ghibli, not by Fred the Janitor. I really, really wish they’d given it to Atlus. Maybe get the team who did Radiant Historia behind it.

Ryuji: “So I started thinkin’, maybe I need to build up my muscles again. Anything’s gotta be better than this flimsy body, right?”

Ryuji: “Plus, maybe then I’ll be able to help out a little more.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This is where we have to pay attention. All (or almost all) answers during confidant rank-up scenes give different points and there’s always an objectively correct response. Failing even a single one of these is most likely a permafuck.

Ryuji: "U-uh… I mean that in a good way!’

Ryuji: “Anyways, you act like it’s only me who’s gonna be doin’ this, you’re gettin’ in on it too.”

Ryuji: “Whoa, don’t look so surprised! Why’d you think I had you go and change into that? It’d be pointless if I was the only one gettin’ super fast, right?”

Ryuji: “Damn, my legs’re all tight…”

Ryuji: “Before Kamoshida came along, the track team was the biggest thing this school had goin’ for it. But it all changed after he got our coach fired and took over as the sub.”

Ryuji: “That bastard… right from the very start he was tryin’ to get rid of us. He’d give us crazy workouts, then when we couldn’t do 'em, he’d add even more on top of that.”

Ryuji: “Day after day was nothing but that bullshit… he was goin’ after me especially. He knew… he knew I was the kinda guy who’d fight back.”

Ryuji: “If my time dropped even a little, he’d cuss me out. Then on top of that, he brought up my parents…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I feel like Jihei and Reiji probably had a conversation like this about Kandori and Kandori’s father, and Reiji gets all worked up and goes “and then… and then…” and Jihei responds with “And then you shot him. I know. I was there.” This option doesn’t matter, by the way.

Ryuji: “Truth is, my mom’s the only one I got. All my dad did when he was still around was drink. Sometimes he’d even beat me, or my mom.”

Ryuji: “I dunno how that bastard Kamoshida found out, but he told the whole goddamn team… and as you can guess, I lost it and hit him.”

Ryuji: “It was like he wanted me to do it though. He called it an act of violence and shut the team down… thanks to that, the other guys on the team treat me like some kinda traitor.”

Ryuji: “And they ain’t wrong. 'Cause of me, they all lost their shot at the championship.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I’ll probably stop posting the music notes, but just know that most dialog choices in these scenes I’m picking for a reason.

Ryuji: “How could I after that? C’mon, don’t ask me tough questions like that. I’m not very smart, y’know?”

Ryuji: “Anyways, it doesn’t matter now. That’s all in the past. I’m only thinkin’ about the future now! That’s what we’re gonna do - build the future!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: What are you, Maya?

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Each party member has a skill like this for their second rank - it lets you re-try a failed negotiation. They used to work for all enemy personality types… at least, I think they did. It’s possible they only worked on one and it was just translated wrong.

Ryuji: “C’mon, we’re all warmed up, right? How 'bout another run?”

Ryuji: “By the way, you’re pretty good at runnin’. Not as good as me, though!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This is a new feature for Royal. A lot of the confidant events were re-written slightly to allow for an extra phone call afterward, which of course gets you extra points. This is due to the changes that Atlus made to confidants in Royal - namely that there’s more of them and it’d be otherwise impossible to 100% all confidants even on a second playthrough.

Ryuji: “This would’ve never happened back then. Ugh… I should’ve kept up my running.”

Ryuji: “We’re only gettin’ started! Let’s keep on runnin’ towards tomorrow! I’m pretty rusty, but even if it got kinda rough, I had fun.”

Ryuji: “And with you here, I get some friendly competition too. Plus we get to talk. So yeah, I’ll catch you later! See ya!”

Sojiro: “I’ll know what’s what as soon as I see your grades. Wanna prove you’re turnin’ over a new leaf? Make studying your second biggest habit, after breathing.”

Sojiro: “The TV’s on, though.”

Morgana: “…I have a good idea. Bring me that chair, the one in the corner.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Another glorified tutorial. We can use the chair to do pull-ups to build guts. Certainly not for autoerotic asphyxiation, no sir. We’re not doing that, though. In fact, the gains on using the chair are so shit that we’ll NEVER be doing it.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The first thing we want to do, before anything else, is use those Bio Nutrients for 3 points in kindness.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We then want to craft. Crafting is largely the same as it was in the base game: you can craft more items the higher your proficiency is. The major difference is that in the base game, the number of proficiency points you got from crafting was randomized - the more you had, the more likely you were to get a good result. This meant that there were a lot of nights where you’d have to save right before crafting and reload until you got the highest result.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: In Royal, crafting always gets you 3 points. No more, no less. It doesn’t matter how many items you craft, what you’re crafting, or how high your proficiency is.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Next time, we’ll go into Kamoshida’s Palace with the training wheels off, and grind for a metric fuckload of money. I’m serious - we’ll need a MINIMUM of 28,400 yen between 4/20 and the next dungeon and will have zero opportunities to grind between then. This is in addition to money for gear and any of Tae’s accessories if she starts selling them early enough. Welcome to 100% confidants, which is somehow grindier than Snow Queen ever was.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: New music in this update:

Music Layer Cake

Music Butterfly Kisses

1 Like

It’s not like I’m doubting you but I’m just gonna check the records to see if there was maybe the same person commission art of Doctor Femdom Bad Medicine.

At least I could easily see John Persona walking into a shady clinic, staring at the doctor one second longer than it takes to become awkward, and saying “My name is John Persona. I need a painkiller powerful enough to make a rhino high.”

Click Here for Update 8

9_2iVBrO_400x400: It’s 4/20, and instead of smoking weed we’re going to head to Kamoshida’s Palace.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We start out the day by reading Pirate Legend on the train. The reason we’re doing this is because we are in desperate need of guts and finishing the book gets us 5 points in that.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Unfortunately, Pirate Legend takes two sessions to finish.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We’ll be getting Joker a job just a few days from now.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: There’s something we would’ve done in the base game that we’re not doing here, and that’s emptying all the vending machines in Tokyo of their precious SP-regenerating drinks. The changes to guns make most fights free EXP with no chance of taking damage.

Ann: “We basically just have to go to that castle and steal the Treasure from Kamoshida, right?”

Ryuji: “But wait, what even is a Treasure? I wanna know that before we do anything.”

Morgana: “A Treasure is the physical form of the Palace ruler’s desires. In other words, it’s the core of the Palace. Once we steal it, the Palace will crumble… I think.”

Morgana: “Having said that, even I don’t know what Kamoshida’s Treasure is going to be.”

Ann: “And where can we find it?”

Morgana: “There’s no way of knowing that until we go in and find out. But if I had to guess, I’d say he has it locked up somewhere in the depths of the Palace.”

Panther: “Hm? What’s up?”

Skull: “N-nothing. I-I was just thinkin’ we should choose a codename for you too.”

Panther: “A code name?”

Skull: “I’m Skull, he’s Joker, and that’s Mona.”

Morgana: “Judging by your costume…”

Skull: “I mean, she’s got that tail and stuff, so… whadda you think, Akira?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Well, she looks like she’s going to rob a bank… and the Japanese word for bank is “Ginko”, so let’s call her Ginko. It just fits.

Panther: “Wait! Is that what you’re going to call me from now on!? I am SO not down with this!”

Skull: “What do you wanna be called, then?”

Panther: “Um, something better than just a little cat… maybe… ‘Panther’? That sounds pretty cool, doesn’t it?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Too late, she’s Ginko now.

Skull: “Huh? Why?”

Panther: " 'Cause it sounds more… ferocious?"

Panther: “More importantly: Kamoshida!”

Skull: “Oh, right. Let’s go!”

SaturnJoker: This is another tutorial, which I’ll skip apart from some of the details.

SaturnJoker: We should all know how fusion works since… oh wait, Persona 1 and 2 didn’t have fusion as a mechanic. Anyway, you glue two Personas together and get a new one. Here, we’re forced to fuse Arsene with the Pixie we got earlier… which is fine because we need Agathion for confidant boosts.

SaturnJoker: Unlike Persona 4, we can pick any skill we’d like to transfer over. In this case, I pick Eiha because right now we have no other source of Curse damage.

SaturnJoker: By the way, fusions in this game are done by executing the two Personas on a guillotine. Anyway…

New Persona: Agathion

Origin: Abrahamic Mythology

First Appearance: Devil Summoner (Saturn)

Familiar spirit in Abrahamic mythology, often associated with pots or jars.

SaturnJoker: For doing the tutorial, we get a rank up in the Fool confidant, which gives us Batman Vision. We’ll see what that does in a bit.

Skull: “Why’re you spacin’ out like that? It’s kinda hard to tell what you’re thinkin’ sometimes.”

Morgana: “Let’s just say he’s a man of high caliber. We’re counting on you, Joker!”

Skull: “So, where do we start?”

Panther: “Safe room…?”

Skull: “It’ll make sense when you see it. Welp, let’s head out!”

SaturnJoker: I know what you’re thinking. “There’s no way they’d explain the safe room thing a third time… would they?” The answer is yes.

SaturnJoker: Anyway, there’s more tutorials about how we can fast travel between safe rooms (but only certain ones) and that if you’re online you can “request assistance” and get a small HP/SP heal like in Persona 4 Golden.

SaturnJoker: The door to the main hall is locked, so we have to go around.

SaturnJoker: This is Batman Vision. It outlines enemies with a color based on their level relative to yours, and also shows you the security level of the palace. It’ll also highlight chests and one other thing we’ll see shortly.

SaturnJoker: I got in a battle with some Bicorns to test the new guns. Joker goes from doing ~77 on his last shot to doing around 128. It’s a pretty big difference.

SaturnJoker: Oh right, Ann’s SMG. Unlike everyone else, Ann can’t control what she fires at, possibly because she’s holding an MP5 with one hand and also sideways. She splits her attacks evenly between all enemies, and builds damage slower than Joker or Morgana does. Usually, you want her to go last after there’s only one enemy on the board so all of her attacks hit that one enemy.

SaturnJoker: There’s a lot of Pixies in this area and we need money anyway, so I decided to show off each of our party’s finisher screens.

SaturnJoker: This is the only time we will hopefully ever be seeing Morgana’s finisher screen.

SaturnJoker: Past the safe room that we ended up in last time, we find the kitchen.

SaturnJoker: Morgana gives us a couple of items. Smokescreens let you escape a battle instantly. Molotov Cocktail and Freeze Spray do a weak fire/ice attack, respectively. Vanish Balls… I honestly forget, they’re useless.

SaturnJoker: In this room, we learn another use for Batman Vision, which is that it highlights environmental objects we can break to get items: usually either crafting materials or vendor trash (we want the latter) since most of the enemies here don’t drop a lot of money and we need a lot of money.

SaturnJoker: Through the kitchen is a hallway with another tutorial fight that unlocks a new battle mechanic.

SaturnJoker: This fight introduces the Baton Pass. The way this works is that if one of your party members gets an extra press turn (fuck it I’m calling them extra press turns and you can’t stop me) from hitting a weakness, they can pass their extra turn to someone else. This gives the other party member a boost to attack and to healing.

SaturnJoker: If the second party member also hits a weakness, you can continue baton passing. You can’t pass to someone who has already passed on that turn.

SaturnJoker: I’m not sure what the exact numbers are, but they’re pretty huge. Ann’s doing double damage and then some with a simple Agi.

SaturnJoker: Ryuji then wipes out the Bicorn in a single hit. Note that his damage is lower because his magic stat sucks. He’ll be the next one out after we get rid of Morgana. By the way, if you manage to Baton Pass to all 4 party members, the last person to go can cast a spell or physical skill for no cost.

SaturnJoker: Most of the party’s finisher screens suck. There’s exactly one I like and it’s on a character who is incredibly unlikely to get one. I wish someone had done these for the P1 and P2 cast because I can just imagine them.

SaturnJoker: Jihei’s would be him firing his SMG wildly with the words “DEVIL BUSTED” in the background. Tatsuya’s would start out as him riding his motorcycle with the frame in the back broken like he drove the bike through it, but would change after Taurus Temple to him hugging Jun.

SaturnJoker: Anyway, the enemies around here barely drop anything in terms of money - 375 yen is on the high side. We can sell the crafting mats though, and I’m definitely doing that unless they’re for lockpicks.

SaturnJoker: I use a tiny bit of Ann’s SP to capture a Mandrake. We have a side objective here, you see: by the time we’re done, we need four specific Personas. Those Personas are Agathion (Chariot), Pixie (Lovers), Mandrake (Death) and Berith (Hierophant). I grabbed another Pixie off-screen, so we’re now at three out of four. Berith is going to be a pain in the ass to get for several reasons, namely that he’s level 9 and we’re barely at 7 even after I grinded a bit.

New Persona: Mandrake

Origin: Europe

First Appearance: Shin Megami Tensei II

Mythical plant that grows on the graves of those who died with guilt. Emits a shriek on being uprooted that kills anyone who hears it. This is Mandrake’s first appearance in a Persona game, having previously been contained to the mainline SMT series and Giten Megami Tensei.

SaturnJoker: Mandrake sucks and the only reason we have it is to boost Tae’s confidant points.

SaturnJoker: Right after this, I run into another group of three Pixies, so I get Ann’s finisher.

SaturnJoker: This finisher screen is physically painful to look at.

SaturnJoker: In the next hallway, we get the ability to stealth like we did in the casino at the start of the game. This removes all challenge from getting ambushes - as long as you are in stealth, the enemies can be right on top of you and not see you.

SaturnJoker: On occasion, your party members will chime in to comment on fights. In this case, we get it because I made it through the fight without taking damage (since I’m just gunning everything down before it can move).

Skull: “But the bars’re blockin’ our way in…”

Morgana: “If he’s protecting it this securely, it has to be important. That means there should be a way in and out of there.”

Morgana: “Joker, do you think you can solve the mystery of this room?”

SaturnJoker: Our Batman Vision shows us that there’s blue footprints on the floor. I’m like, 80% sure this didn’t exist in the base game.

SaturnJoker: I didn’t capture it, but you see those goat heads? One of those is a switch.

Morgana: “You’re hopeless… don’t you realize how vital a map is?”

SaturnJoker: I wish this had existed in Persona 1.

Morgana: “It’s a true necessity for a phantom thief. This should make securing a route much easier.”

Panther: “Wait, does it say where the Treasure is on there?”

Morgana: “Oh… actually, it seems like this map is incomplete. There might be more of them around.”

SaturnJoker: Unfortunately, the top part of the main hall is barred off.

SaturnJoker: We have to use our Batman powers to get onto the… uh… what the fuck is this, anyway? It’s like a rafter only it’s not supporting anything.

SaturnJoker: We can then jump onto these giant chandeliers capable of holding the weight of three teenagers and a cat. This is such a novice-level villain lair mistake.

SaturnJoker: You might ask why we can’t just drop down to the first floor, and that’s because that’s the boss arena.

SaturnJoker: The door on the other side takes us to a room with a locked chest. These are what we need lockpicks for.

SaturnJoker: The Nightwatch Armor is a pretty significant boost over the armor I bought for Joker.

SaturnJoker: They then bring up the safe room thing a third time, just in case we somehow didn’t get it the first two times.

SaturnJoker: Morgana then gives us a present I wish I had in the original game. New to Royal are items like the Stamina Kit, which can be used in a safe room to restore the entire party’s SP or HP.

SaturnJoker: Past the second safe room is another tutorial hallway, this time teaching us how to use Batman Vision on enemies.

SaturnJoker: This is actually kind of useless, because most of the shadows above our level are marked in a different way.

SaturnJoker: Down the hall is a new enemy added for Royal - Cait Sith. Cait Sith isn’t strong against or weak to guns, and as long as we get an ambush will reliably go down in a single round of gunfire.

SaturnJoker: In the same hallway is Silky, which we actually need in order to get the Hierophant Persona. I didn’t realize this at first, so let’s just pretend I did.

SaturnJoker: Silky is weak to lightning, and so we have to spend a little bit of SP. This is fine, because at this point I wasn’t aware of just how different Kamoshida’s palace is in Royal.

New Persona: Silky

Origin: Scotland

First Appearance: Ronde (Saturn)

Silk-wearing fairy maid who terrorizes lazy servants.

SaturnJoker: At the end of that hallway is a storage room, and the only door leading out is locked.

SaturnJoker: This is fine, because we can just go through the vents.

SaturnJoker: This is yet another tutorial about a mechanic that doesn’t come up all that often. On occasion, if you get an enemy’s HP low enough without killing them, they’ll surrender to you and immediately end the battle with no negotiation necessary. Each personality type has a certain chance of it happening. But hey, free Pyro Jack.

SaturnJoker: I think we all know who he is by now so I’m not going to log him.

SaturnJoker: We also get a tutorial on how to negotiate. Generally, Irritable and Gloomy are the hardest ones to deal with.

SaturnJoker: We also get a Breeze Ring, a special kind of accessory that gives the wearer a skill. In this case, it’s Garu. We won’t be using it because there’s an accessory you more or less need to have on at all times that we’ll probably start getting before the second dungeon.

SaturnJoker: Once we leave through the room with the Breeze Ring (we can unlock that door on the other side while we’re at it) we wind up in… how the hell is it that every single medieval castle has collapsed spiral staircases?

Morgana: “That’s just a little something I’ve been working on in secret. The grappling hook lets you zip to hard-to-reach locations in a flash.”

SaturnJoker: The hook is a new addition to Royal. The game makes it really, really obvious when you can use it, with a distinct sound and also Joker’s hand lightning on fire. This will tie in with something else we’ll see later.

SaturnJoker: Past the hook spot, we run into our first instance of unidentified gear. These are items that have to be washed at the coin laundromat (it’s near Leblanc in Yongen-Jaya) and can turn into a number of different armor items.

SaturnJoker: In the base game, these were godawful: not only were you not getting a usable gear drop, but they only sell for 10 yen if not cleaned. Thankfully, Royal fixes that by adding in a secondhand clothes shop that buys them at the full value of whatever they’d turn into if you cleaned them.

SaturnJoker: This is where we get introduced to the red aura shadows. These are tougher enemies that drop a lot of money. Remember how I said we had three out of the four Personas we need? These red aura shadows are the last one.

SaturnJoker: Rather than continue on, I found a safe room (there’s one in this area) and then went back to grind some more. The red aura shadows are level 9, and at this point Joker is level 7. Unfortunately, the enemies at the start of the dungeon give so little EXP that it would take forever to grind to 9.

SaturnJoker: Here’s the maps of everywhere we’ve been so far. We can’t actually go back to the prison, even though it’s on the fast travel list.

SaturnJoker: While grinding, I ran into an Incubus that surrendered to me. I grabbed him for compendium purposes, but didn’t bother keeping him because our Persona roster is full.

SaturnJoker: The area by the third safe room has a barred door because this is Resident Evil now.

Morgana: “Wait, there’s a round indentation underneath… it looks like it won’t move until we fill that.”

Panther: “So we need a key… I wonder where it could be.”

SaturnJoker: I forgot to capture it, but all of the rooms on this floor are full of books. This one is the Queen Book.

SaturnJoker: The one closest to the save point has the Slave Book…

SaturnJoker: And the third room has the Beefcake Book, which sounds like what would happen if you tried to novelize Ram Ranch.

SaturnJoker: The room where we need to use these books is down past this red shadow. We don’t want to fight him yet, so I stealthed in.

Morgana: “A library, huh? This definitely seems fishy.”

SaturnJoker: It seems fishy because Kamoshida is probably illiterate.

Ryuji: “Whaddya mean?”

Morgana: “Come on, it’s a library in a castle. There has to be some kind of secret mechanism in here.”

SaturnJoker: We then get the King Book, which forms the full title of the theme for Kamoshida’s palace, which is called “King, Queen, and Slave”.

SaturnJoker: There’s also three glowing slots in the bookshelf, because this isn’t enough of a Resident Evil puzzle.

Morgana: “Hm… wait a second. The books on this shelf seem familiar.”

Skull: “These’re the names of the volleyball team members! Wait, what the hell? All of the titles are boys from our school!”

Morgana: “Ryuji Sakamoto: The Vulgar Ape. There’s one here for Skull.”

SaturnJoker: Great job on the whole codename thing, Morgana.

Skull: “That bastard! Who the hell does he think he is!?”

Panther: “Wait, didn’t we find a book earlier? What if we…”

SaturnJoker: “Wait a minute… that card…”

SaturnJoker: We can insert any of the books here, but unless we want to make like this one video of Bioshock Infinite I can’t find and play music on the bells, we’ve got to do them by theme. Bioshock Infinite was a mistake.

Skull: “Tracing Kamoshida’s Steps… Kamoshida’s Heroisms… Kamoshida’s Law!? What the hell!? All these books’re about Kamoshida!”

SaturnJoker: I have to admit, inserting themed books would be my last idea. I’d probably go home, burn like a thousand copies of Shrek 2 and replace all the books with them just to see what happens.

Panther: “Huh? This book… has Shiho’s name in the title… wait, it’s not just this one! All of the books here are about female students!”

Skull: “Ann Takamaki: The Charming Doll. Holy shit.”

SaturnJoker: So, a couple of things about this room. First, this room was changed a LOT in development - people have datamined the original game and found that originally the pictures were a lot more explicit. They also found that the safe rooms were originally supposed to have a harem of faceless female volleyball players in them, and I believe there were supposed to be a few of them in here as well.

Skull: “Wait… it’s all pics of her?”

SaturnJoker: This is also a direct reference to Persona 4 and the first room that Yosuke and the protagonist find in the TV world.

Panther: “…”

Panther: “Yeah… thanks. If anything, I feel even more motivated to do this now.”

Morgana: “I’m sure it’ll feel awful, but we should search this room. There has to be something in here if he was hiding it with such an elaborate trick.”

SaturnJoker: It’s kind of hard to miss this because it plays a sound. I wish my car keys did that. Actually wait… nah. That’d get annoying.

Panther: “Is this… a medal?”

Morgana: “That size, and that shape… I think that’s our key! Remember that round indentation we saw back near those bars?”

Panther: “Wait, there’s something under the medal too.”

Skull: “So is it gonna tell us where the Treasure is?”

Panther: “That’s a weird-shaped building… could it be a tower or something?”

SaturnJoker: I’m not gonna lie, this freaked me out when I played this the first time. I was like “how the fuck am I supposed to get to the boss like this, I’m already down so much SP”.

Skull: “All right! Let’s head over there!”

Morgana: “No. Now that we know how much we have left, we can calculate the best way to pace ourselves. Let’s keep exploring, but take breaks when you need to, Joker.”

SaturnJoker: Here’s another new thing for Royal. In the base game, there’s no fight in this room.

SaturnJoker: Two Bicorns, or as I call them, a Quadricorn. Big deal, we’ll just gun them down.

SaturnJoker: This is a “Disaster Shadow”, a new addition to Royal. Disaster Shadows don’t do anything until attacked, at which point they immediately retaliate.

SaturnJoker: Morgana then kills it for us, and it drops a Snuff Soul, which restores 50 SP. Disaster Shadows always drop items when killed.

SaturnJoker: When they die (or after a period of time from being attacked) Disaster Shadows explode for an amount equal to the damage we did to them before they exploded. In this case, it’s enough to bring the Bicorns to 1 HP because this is a tutorial fight.

SaturnJoker: The game then throws another one at us, which explodes and drops a Bead. It’s a free full heal, I’ll take it.

SaturnJoker: Right in the middle of the hallway is a bookshelf with bodybuilding books on it.

Skull: “Huh! There IS somethin’ in here! …There we go.”

SaturnJoker: It’s just a healing item, but any healing item I don’t have to spend money on is a good healing item at this point.

SaturnJoker: In the earlier shots with the map, you might’ve noticed a chest in the hallway with the red aura shadow. It’s a new weapon for Ryuji, which I grabbed without fighting the shadow. Don’t worry, we fight one soon enough.

SaturnJoker: We can now open up the barred door and make progress.

SaturnJoker: There’s a hallway with a save room at the bottom, which is kind of ridiculous when you remember there’s one right behind us.

SaturnJoker: Past that is this room, which looks like a trap but isn’t.

Morgana: “This place is huge… yet there are no guards? That seems suspicious…”

Skull: “But the Treasure’s up ahead, right? We don’t got a choice but to keep goin’.”

Morgana: “I guess that’s true… but we need to make sure we’re ready for whatever might be ahead. What do you think, Joker? Should we continue onward?”

Panther: “I can’t believe he can think like that… especially after what he did to Shiho…”

Skull: “God, that bastard makes me so freakin’ sick! Just you wait, Kamoshida!”

SaturnJoker: And now we’ve got a bossfight against Archangel. He starts by Charging, which… I think doubles the damage on his next attack. There’s a tutorial on guarding here, which actually does something (unlike in Persona 1 and 2) in that it reduces incoming damage and also stop you from being knocked down.

SaturnJoker: Archangel almost kills Morgana in one hit, but I win the battle with guns and physical attacks. I could spend SP, but… meh.

SaturnJoker: This gets us to Level 8 on everyone but Ryuji for some reason. I’m not sure why that is.

Panther: “What should we do? Head back?”

Morgana: “No, the Treasure is definitely up ahead, and there has to be a path to it somewhere. See anything that could help us zip by here? Keep your eyes sharp!”

SaturnJoker: Well, Ann and Ryuji are screwed, but…

SaturnJoker: Rather than go through to the next area, I opt to go back down into the church. My hope was that I’d get enough EXP to hit 9 and then go after the red aura shadows, and also there’s some stuff in the church.

SaturnJoker: The problem is that we have to drop down off one of these conveniently-placed stacks of boxes, and the chances of an enemy seeing us are pretty high.

SaturnJoker: I get ambushed, and Morgana dies pretty quickly even though this is a fight we could solve with guns alone.

SaturnJoker: The other LP shows this, but if Morgana goes down, he’ll hide and keep announcing combat.

SaturnJoker: One of the Pixies puts Joker to sleep. Sleep is the best status effect in this game: while sleeping, you recover some HP and SP each turn. In fact, you could theoretically get into a fight with just Pixies and constantly guard until they put you to sleep to recover SP, since Pixies barely do damage.

SaturnJoker: The chest just had a Soul Drop in it, and I didn’t get enough EXP to hit 9. I’m glad I didn’t though, and I’ll show you why in a minute.

SaturnJoker: Before that though, we’ve got one last tutorial on a new feature added in Royal.

Morgana: “Yeah. By the looks of it, no one’s been in there for a long time.”

Panther: “I wonder what’s over there… should we take a closer look?”

SaturnJoker: This is what’s called a Will Seed. There are three in every dungeon, and if you collect them all you can turn them in for gear. They’re always hidden behind a grapple point. I’m skipping around a lot of the dialog.

Morgana: “As far as I can tell, there are two of them left.”

Skull: “Huh? How can you tell? You smell ‘em or somethin’?”

Panther: “Yeah, like how dogs can - oh, but you’re a cat.”

SaturnJoker: One thing this tutorial doesn’t show is that getting a will seed restores SP to the entire party.

SaturnJoker: We also run into a new enemy: the Kelpie. I grabbed one at some point and got rid of it immediately.

SaturnJoker: After looting the main building, the only thing left to do is go into the tower.

SaturnJoker: The tower has a red aura at the bottom, but I don’t bother taking it out because my plan was to level up and then come back here and negotiate with this one.

SaturnJoker: This area existed in the base game, but was changed HEAVILY for Royal. It used to be a flat box maze with four red aura shadows in it, and is now entirely skippable.

Morgana: “Oh! That matches up with the map. There’s no doubt that’s the tower we’re headed for.”

Skull: “Hell yeah, we did it! So… where’s the entrance?”

Morgana: “It’s no surprise that security would be tight around here. But as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained! Let’s go, Joker!”

SaturnJoker: In the base game, you’d have to sneak around and probably fight one or more of the shadows. Royal lets you skip the entire thing by using the grappling hook.

SaturnJoker: There’s loot down there, and at the time I was thinking “I’ll just sneak and grab it later.”

SaturnJoker: And then I accidentally press X and ambush it. Meet our fourth required Persona, Berith. All those red aura shadows? They’re all Berith. Berith is immune to guns. The only saving grace? The red aura shadows in the base game were TWO Beriths.

SaturnJoker: Then, I roll amazing luck. Morgana gets a critical hit with his physical attack, which knocks Berith down just as if we’d used his weakness. This is why I went out of my way to pick up Silky earlier: Silky has Bufu and Berith’s only weakness is Ice. Unfortunately, we’re only level 8 and cannot negotiate.

SaturnJoker: Remember how I said that I was glad I didn’t hit 9 earlier? This is why. Each one of the Beriths in this area drop a guaranteed Sooty Heavy Armor, which we can sell for a few thousand yen. This also goes for the Berith we passed in the tower and the one guarding the chest that had Ryuji’s weapon in it.

SaturnJoker: I go through a bit of SP killing the rest of the Beriths in this area, and hit level 9. By this point, we’ve got around 41,000 yen - and this isn’t taking into account all the stuff we’re going to sell.

SaturnJoker: After this, I immediately rushed back into the tower… only to find out that Berith is a tougher negotiation target than you’d think. Unlike most demons, Berith will not negotiate with you unless he’s at a certain HP threshold: I think it’s below half. I wind up killing him and get another 500 yen and a Sooty Heavy Armor, and do the same with the one in the library area.

SaturnJoker: I burned our other lockpick on this chest to get a new whip for Ann.

SaturnJoker: Finally, I go back to the one in the library that respawns (the others don’t) and get a lucky crit from Ann. I chain this into an All-Out, and then Bufu with Joker to knock him down again.

SaturnJoker: And now we’ve avoided the permafucks. We’ve also gotten all but around four Personas in this dungeon.

New Persona: Berith

Origin: Ars Goetia

First Appearance: Megami Tensei II

Duke of hell, known for wearing a gold crown, scarlet armor, and riding a red horse. Will tell you the future if you complain at him enough.

SaturnJoker: Now that we’ve got Berith, we’re good to finish the dungeon.

SaturnJoker: Note the vent on the left. I didn’t capture it, but as soon as we enter this room, Morgana will mention that there’s a will seed nearby.

SaturnJoker: The vent leads outside, to a chest with some trash attack items I’ll probably sell.

SaturnJoker: Just above that is a grapple point, which you can see from outside if you turn Batman Vision on.

SaturnJoker: We go up the tower, stealing everything we can on the way, and go into what I used to call the Hell Zone. I believe they reduced the number of enemies in it slightly for Royal.

Morgana: “The distortion is getting stronger… the Treasure has got to be nearby!”

SaturnJoker: There’s no enemies here, so we’re free to go past the titty hallway…

SaturnJoker: And through the ass gallery…

SaturnJoker: That, my friends, is the traditional Dark Souls Shortcut Elevator. The latter half of Kamoshida’s Palace takes a lot of inspiration from Dark Souls.

Morgana: “Could be a hidden room. Let’s check it out, Joker!”

SaturnJoker: This elevator is a bit of side content I never did in the base game. It’s in there, but I didn’t do it for a good reason. We’ll see what that is shortly.

SaturnJoker: There’s another elevator in front of us that leads to a mini-boss. We have no reason to do that mini-boss. Doing it would be a mistake… but I wound up doing it anyway.

SaturnJoker: Instead, we want to go down this hallway.

Morgana: “Either way… it’s kind of strange that this would be our dead end.”

SaturnJoker: This puts us back in the entrance hall, on the bottom floor.

SaturnJoker: We can use this to create a shortcut. There’s not much of a reason to do so, because there’s two more save rooms in the Hell Zone, but this will allow us to get back to the second save room without warping.

SaturnJoker: We can also open this door, which leads back to the first save room.

SaturnJoker: More important, however, is this room that we couldn’t get to before. It has a lever in it that will allow us to meet an old friend.

Morgana: “I see. I bet we can access an area that we couldn’t before. Good eye, Joker!”

SaturnJoker: This lever activates the second elevator.

SaturnJoker: I honestly don’t know what was down here in the base game, but in Royal they replace it with the last will seed.

SaturnJoker: Ann is going to regret those words.

SaturnJoker: Meet Mara. Apparently, he’s no longer Toro’s Persona and now he’s just… here.

Mara: “This is character assassination! I’m way more turgid than that!”

SaturnJoker: Mara is a shitfest of a fight. For one thing, he’ll always attack Ann if he can. He resists everything that isn’t straight up physical damage (including guns) and can oneshot Ann if she’s not guarding.

SaturnJoker: So yeah, he oneshots Ann. I should mention that Mara looks so… different… because they’re using his appearance from Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE, Atlus’s failed MMO attempt.

SaturnJoker: He then oneshots Morgana, so I had to get them both back up so as to not miss out on EXP.

SaturnJoker: Once we get Mara down, we get the last will seed for Kamoshida’s Palace.

SaturnJoker: This nets us the Crystal of Lust, an item that looks like a bootleg Behelit. It gives whoever has it equipped the ability to cast Diarama, which is overkill for healing at this point in the game.

Skull: “C’mon, Mona! You never told us what these Will Seeds do!”

Morgana: “I mean, I never expected anything less than that to happen!”

SaturnJoker: First you want to step on Mara, and now you’re having second thoughts about taking Kamoshida’s JO crystal?

Morgana: “A phantom thief makes use of any available tool to accomplish a mission. Who knows what we’ll find next? If we find ourselves in a situation where this could be useful, let’s see what it can do!”

SaturnJoker: Back in the Hell Zone, we can start dealing with some of these new enemies.

SaturnJoker: First up is Succubus. In the base game, Succubus was a fucking nightmare to deal with (thanks LaZodiac for reminding me) because the only spell they had was Marin Karin. Royal inadvertently turned them into your best friend by replacing Marin Karin with Dormina. There is one minor downside to being asleep, though.

SaturnJoker: You see, if you hit an enemy who is asleep,. you get what’s called a “Technical”. It does more damage, but it’s not the same thing as a crit - you don’t get an extra press turn. This kind of kills Sleep as a means of recovery just a little bit.

SaturnJoker: There’s a chest here, but it’s locked and I didn’t have a pick for it. This is fine - chances are it’s something for Morgana and we’re ditching him ASAP.

SaturnJoker: Shit.

SaturnJoker: And I get spotted and ambushed. This isn’t as bad as it seems: at this point, we can pretty easily Rush down Berith with physical attacks.

SaturnJoker: Then a group of Incubi and Succubi join the fight.

SaturnJoker: One of them surrenders.

New Persona: Succubus

Origin: Abrahamic Mythology

First Appearance: Megami Tensei (NES)

Female demon that devours life energy through sex.

SaturnJoker: Succubus has been nerfed to shit from Persona 1 and Persona 2, where she absorbed everything (P1) or reflected it (P2) in exchange for having a trash moveset. Here, she still has a trash moveset but no amazing resistances to make up for it.

SaturnJoker: Gotta love the look on John Persona’s face.

SaturnJoker: Right by the stairs to the next floor is a save room. I grab it, but generally you never want to warp here because that Berith is right outside and will more often than not spot you as soon as you leave.

SaturnJoker: Part two of the Hell Zone is this room, which is two tiers and has a Berith walking around. In the base game, this floor sucked. In Royal, however…

SaturnJoker: The first enemy is two Angels. Now, here’s the thing. In the base game, Angels were only weak to Gun, and because you had a grand total of like 20 bullets between the entire party, they were not a fun fight. Even worse, in the base game Angels were level 12 and had Self-Destruct, a full-party attack that did lots of damage.

SaturnJoker: In Royal, Angels had their level lowered to 9, their HP cut almost in half, and retain their Gun weakness. I kind of wish they’d left them at Level 12, because that’d be better EXP.

SaturnJoker: The last one surrendered, so I took it and overwrote Succubus.

SaturnJoker: I do this for three reasons. First, Succubus is Moon arcana, which is a confidant that does not get bonus points for having a matching Persona. Second, Angel’s moveset is better - Kouha is our first source of Bless damage. Third, Angel is the lowest-level Justice Persona, and we’re going to need one of those pretty soon.

SaturnJoker: Shortly after that, we run into another enemy that can be a Disaster Shadow - Angel is the third and final one. This Incubus explodes and gives us a free Soul Drop.

SaturnJoker: There’s some chests with healing items we don’t care about.

SaturnJoker: See that chest? It’s the sneakiest one in the dungeon.

SaturnJoker: When we get close, it gets walled off. Nothing to do now but try that other hallway.

SaturnJoker: Sure is Sen’s Fortress around here.

Morgana: “It’s a classic security measure. My tail might be in danger if we try to force our way through…”

Skull: “Oh yeah, same for Panther’s. So… what do we do? No way we’re gettin’ through here as is.”

SaturnJoker: This entire segment is a direct reference to Xibalba in Innocent Sin and now I appreciate it a lot more.

Morgana: “I didn’t think it would be that easy. We’ll probably need some kind of key for it…”

Skull: “We gotta look for a key again? What a pain in the ass…”

Panther: “Where would it be though? There weren’t any suspicious rooms on the way here.”

Morgana: “Hm… what do you think, Joker?”

SaturnJoker: Oh, I know! I know! This is just like Xibalba, so we say that we don’t need a key and then we find a way that doesn’t involve a key and skip another trip through the Hell Zone!

Morgana: “Hm… that probably would be the most likely scenario…”

SaturnJoker: Fuck you, Morgana! You fucked it all up!

Skull: “An enemy? Y’mean one of those Shadows that’s roamin’ around? Dude, how man yof 'em do you think there are? We can’t beat the crap outta all of them!”

SaturnJoker: We kind of already did.

Morgana: “The key is for the tower, so it would have to be one of the Shadows around here. On top of that, it would have to be a relatively high-ranking one.”

Panther: “Then we just need to look for Shadows like that and defeat them!”

SaturnJoker: Back in the Hell Zone, a gold-armored enemy appears, and when we ambush it… it’s Eligor.

SaturnJoker: This was actually a fairly tough fight in the base game, but in Royal we simply gun him down before he even gets a turn.

Skull: “Hey, that Shadow did have something… but what the hell is this? An eye?”

Panther: “Oh yeah… now that I think about it, the statue didn’t have eyes…”

Skull: “Ugh, how much grosser can he get? So this is gonna stop those things, huh?”

Morgana: “Well, we’ll need one more. Another guard captain probably has it. Let’s try checking the other floors, Joker!”

Morgana: “That would work, but there should only be one actual guard captain among them. Do you have any way to tell them apart, Joker? I’d think you of all people would have the skills to figure out which is the real one.”

SaturnJoker: Just leave it to me. Trust me, my logic is fucking airtight. So, remember the “Who Is The Captain?” mission in Sonic 2006? You solve that by talking to the first guy you see, and since Sega bought Atlus, they forced them to reference it here.

SaturnJoker: It’s gotta be this one.

SaturnJoker: Actually, it’s not. The first two are a group of two Incubi and two Succubi. The way you’re supposed to find the real one is that it’s higher level.

SaturnJoker: The real captain is another Eligor. Morgana gives you a tutorial about doing Technicals, but we just gun this one down too. Royal turned this entire dungeon into a joke, apart from Mara.

SaturnJoker: On our way back to the statue, I encountered two Disaster Angels in a row. The first one I didn’t even notice and killed it without thinking. This was two more Soul Drops for our collection. By the way, Archangels show up as regular enemies now. They’re still level 14, but have greatly reduced stats from the one we fought as a boss.

SaturnJoker: We put the eyes into the statue and we can cross.

SaturnJoker: In the middle is a chest with a Breath Ring, which increases max HP. I gave it to Ann.

SaturnJoker: We’ve finally done it. Everyone is level 11, and we have nearly 60,000 yen (in fact, as I write this, I’m still grinding for money and I was over 60k and hadn’t left yet). There’s a save room up here, and now it’s time to end this.

SaturnJoker: Okay, first the chest. Then we end it. It’s got a Physical Guard in it, which reflects a single physical attack.

Morgana: “Quiet down, you idiot!”

SaturnJoker: Relax, we’ve got this. Anne has an SMG, which is clearly the most suited for sniping him from the balcony. We just put a bullet in him and that’s it.

Panther: “And a ton of soldiers…”

SaturnJoker: Bring it! I still have most of my SP, and with Kamoshida dead that’s nothing.

SaturnJoker: Kamoshida is very confused as to how all of his demons have been riddled with bullets.

Morgana: “I bet he’d never imagine we’re in the same room as him. Come on, let’s keep going.”

SaturnJoker: Why do we even need the treasure? Just steal all the gold and book it.

Skull: “That Treasure thing’s gotta be in here!”

Morgana: “Just hold on a second. I was planning on telling you more once we made it this far. Simply finding the Treasure isn’t enough. We’ll need to make it materialize before we can steal it.”

Skull: “Whaddya mean?”

Morgana: “Desires have no physical form by nature. Hence, we’ll first need to make the real person aware that their desires are in fact a Treasure.”

SaturnJoker: I call bullshit. I have at least two desires in physical form: a translated copy of the PSP version of Eternal Punishment and for Toshiya Wakabayashi to stop being a dick and translate the rest of Kanako’s Life As An Assassin. Oh, and for the Game Center CX translators to get on the Earthbound episodes, but I’ve been told they’re already doing that.

Morgana: “Once they’re conscious that their desires might be stolen, the Treasure will finally show itself.”

Panther: “But how do we do that?”

Skull: “So we’re gonna send a calling card!? That’s totally what a phantom thief would do!”

Skull: “That again? Either way, sounds like it’s worth givin’ it a shot!”

Morgana: “Our infiltration route is secure. All that’s left now is to pump out a calling card in reality, then come back to take the Treasure!”

SaturnJoker: Calling cards are a very Lupin III thing. Not so much Arsene Lupin. He does it a few times, but not always.

Panther: “This is it, huh?”

Morgana: “That’s the spirit! Once we send out the calling card, there will be no turning back. Just let me know when you’re ready. We’ll head back to the hideout and send out that calling card!”

SaturnJoker: So yeah, here’s the thing about Persona 5. Unlike Persona 4, where we could clear dungeons in one day, all dungeons in Persona 5 take at LEAST two days, with the bossfight being a separate day. Some take more.

SaturnJoker: Next time, we’ll get introduced to another new feature in Royal, see how far I can grind before I get bored (currently at level 12 with over 60,000 yen) and then do a few more days of confidants and stat-raising before we kill Kamoshida, since I accidentally posted this update before I finished it.

SaturnJoker: Before I stop though, let me show you some fusions I did. Unlike the other LP, what I’m basically doing is crunching our current Persona roster down and getting better Personas out of it. Mokoi is one, which I make by fusing Silky and Angel.

New Persona: Mokoi

Origin: Australia

First Appearance: Soul Hackers (Saturn in Japan, 3DS otherwise)

Evil spirits who kill magic users. They also kidnap and eat children. In the real world, we call these emus.

SaturnJoker: I also fuse Berith and Mandrake into Slime, which is Chariot arcana. We already have Mokoi, so we don’t need Mandrake as a Death Persona anymore.

SaturnJoker: Slime sucks, but I fuse him anyway because he’s level 10 and it’s free to do so. Now that we have Berith in the Compendium, he’s super easy to negotiate with… and yes, I remembered to grab one before I left.

SaturnJoker: I also fuse Kodama out of… I forget what. Kodama is Star arcana, and will be very useful later on when I need a cheap Star Persona for confidants. Star is one of the best confidants in this game.

New Persona: Kodama

Origin: Japan

First Appearance: SMT Nocturne (PS2)

Japanese tree spirit. Said to bring bad luck if the tree it lives in is cut down - such trees are marked with a sacred rope.

SaturnJoker: Kodama is special because he is our first source of Psychic damage… assuming I ever level him to 12.

SaturnJoker: Oh right, one last thing. Remember how I talked about that sneaky chest? To get it, you have to go around the pendulum room and then grapple over the weird hell geometry - it’s in the middle. The game fools you by putting a different chest on an identical-looking table just outside the hell blocks, making you think it’s the same one you saw from the far side. Baptismal Water removes all buffs on an enemy.

SaturnJoker: Here’s the music for this update.

Music Mid-Boss Theme

SaturnJoker: I didn’t realize until after I made the image that the mid-boss theme is called “Keeper of Lust”. It plays when you fight the Archangel in the church and Mara in the hidden room. It also plays during all of the tutorial battles.

Music King Queen and Slave

SaturnJoker: This one is Kamoshida’s palace theme.

2 Likes