50 Shades of Grayscale: Let's Play 50 Game Boy Games!

this week is hell have some kirb

1 Like

Hercules

What can you say about Hercules the video game for the Nintendo Game Boy and Super Game Boy Entertainment Systems? That. I got this game from my Aunt as a kid and immediately gave up on it after the first level. Now, as an adult, I realize the hidden wisdom of children. As Sunsoft did so plague us in the WB run, Tiertex provides another stinker as we just about escape our Disney block. At least they did a pretty good version of Zero to Hero.

Snake count: 11

2 Likes

Woops! Almost forgot to post the full stream this week! We’re really getting into the videos that I had to cute entire hour chunks out of now! Enjoy our crazed ramblings.

DuckTales

It’s time for the big two-oh! A woo-ooh! Game number 20 neatly wraps up our Disney block with a dose of the upcoming Real Ass Video Games block, with Capcom’s DuckTales. A true classic of game if there ever was one, DuckTales does abang up job translating its experience to the smaller screen. Kinda wild to see something like this after basically the entire rest of the Disney block. What’s your favorite moon remix? Mine’s Astral Aroma.

This is quite the milestone of episodes, and I’d like to say we pulled out all the stops, but really we just kinda pulled out one big embarrassing one. I hope you like mediocre singing, and I hope you’re excited for the next 30 games!

Snake count: 12

2 Likes

Happy Wednesday! Enjoy some more pain with the uncut edition of our first go at Animaniacs! I hope you like…one level…

Greetings, sports fans! It’s time for another interlude of all those fine Game Boy titles that don’t deserve their entry. I may have, uh, overindulged a bit on my selections for this one considering this episode runs about twice as long as the other showcase, but it turns out there really is an interesting selection out there! Sports games were a no-brainer for the on-the-go video gamer, but they certainly aged the fastest. Doubly so for the fighting games, with one clear exception! This supposed exception to the rule really did just kinda demonstrate the effort required to make a good experience portable back in the day. Many were not up to the task, but over time we’ll learn that many were!

Next time: more snakes!

1 Like

Greetings fair viewers? Art thou nasty? You shalt be withest this neweth uncut entry of our Animaniacs footage! For sooth!

For The Frog, the Bell Tolls

Hello and well met! It’s time for an episode of 50 Shades that I’ve been very excited to present to you! A game completely worthy of the multiple of 5 spot if there ever was one, For the Frog the Bell Tolls is one of the most delightful gaming experiences I’ve ever had. With an incredibly simple and trimmed down rpg mechanic, the game instead packs itself with more personality and laughs than I ever thought possible in a Game Boy rpg. It’s kind of a crime that this never got its official release, but given some of the things ahead I guess I can understand a localizer’s reluctance to even bother changing it. Thankfully, the romhackers do provide, and anyone so inclined can seek this out and give it a try themselves.

This is also our first longform entry in the series. Kind of a weird new experience!

Snake count: 14

2 Likes

oh god oh fuck

We’re back with part 2 of our frogly adventures! This is perhaps our most unfortunately dated episode, coming out right in the heat of Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ release. Naturally, combined with the usual madness that seeps in after a few hours of video games, made for an unfortunate road that I already regret even hinting at in this video. Apologies! There’s a cool gold mine and a lot of drunks in this video too, which makes me wonder how they would have localized it. I have no doubt that they could find something, but hopefully it’d be better than the coffee bar.

2 Likes

I hope you like Game Over screens!

It’s time for the thrilling conclusion to For The Frog the Bell Tolls! A journey of twists! Of romance! Of bones! All to cap off what has become one of the top contenders in this entire list. What more can you say?

Next week: puzzle hell.

Snake count: 16

2 Likes

Endings…AND beginnings!

Adventures of Lolo

It is time to enter…puzzle hell!! Adventures of Lolo is, and probably always will be, our most massive undertaking. I’ll throw the proper numbers down when we’re through all the parts, but getting through these videos is less like editing a video and more like whittling an entire log into some kind of small handheld Lolo shaped carving. Stream madness set in regularly, but I think I grabbed just enough to keep it coherent.

Snake count: 17

2 Likes

Woops ran a lil late on this one! Lolo is hell and destroys everything I love! Stay tuned!

Part two of this endless dive is here! Brush up on your instagram slang and scientific fluid principles as we go into our most educational episode yet! Also I think we play a video game.

1 Like

More of that sweet sweet kirby footage featuring all the embarrassing failure.

So ends the saga of Lolo, our biggest hill despite its humble appearance. The truth of the matter is this took a long fucking time to record. Roughly 8 weeks of streams culminating in 27 hours of footage that I had to hastily cut into what we received. I do hope you enjoyed it, and now fully understand why from this point forward we will basically be cursing this games name above any Sneaky Snake. Ironically, we won’t be cursing Snakey. What a good boy.

Also, as a treat, here’s the two drawings I did for the lil intros!

Howdy folks! Time for another uncut release, powered by pixar computer graphics! In addition, we have a very special entry int he uncut records: the first (and hopefully only) game we backed out on: Disney’s Jungle Book! Even after we figured it out it sucked too much ass and the infinitely better Roger Rabbit game took its place. Please enjoy some extra fun and misery!

Blaster Master Boy

Welcome back to another exciting new entry in the 50 Shades of Grayscale line up! A grand adventure awaits us, including discussions on all manner of topics: from the strange occurrence of this game’s inception, to the deep lore of Blaster Master as seen in some shitty novels from the 80s, and even to genuine talks on gender and self expression. Truly, it’s all here. Let’s get blastin!

Snake count: 18

2 Likes