50 Shades of Grayscale: Let's Play 50 Game Boy Games!

Hello everyone! Every week I’m going to start rolling out the uncut stream archives for each 50 Shades of Grayscale session. Admittedly, the first few are not going to be incredibly different, but as time goes on there will be quite the hefty batches of footage to peruse, with all the delirium of tackling an overly challenging game you might expect! I will be doing a group of however many videos happened per session, per week, so for short game entries you’ll probably get two videos! Exciting!

This is going to also be my one plug usage, as I am releasing all sessions a week early over on My Patreon so if you like being on the cutting edge of this nonsense by all means throw a couple bucks in there!

Looney Tunes

Welcome back, everybody! A new themed block is upon us, and it was (somewhat hastily) decided to be the Warner Bros block! This, of course, means we’re going to for the most part be experiencing titles from developers Sunsoft. Sunsoft is a bit of an interesting “company” with an interesting lineage. Namely in how much of it is just adaptations and ports? Even as recent as 2018, Sunsoft has been handling ports for titles like Obduction, and even releasing games on the Switch! A quiet constant in the industry.

1 Like

Howdy folks! It’s time for another uncut session posting! Another double feature, but probably the last one for a while. Things got a lot longer from this point onward. Enjoy the descent into madness!

Also, happy birthday to Super Mario Land 2! Not to mention our boy Wario. Truly a momentous day in Game Boy history.

Animaniacs

heLLOOOOOOOO thread! Hope you’re ready for another proper entry! We’re continuing our Warner Bros block with…the Warner Bros [sub]and the warner sister[/sub]! This will be our only Sunsoft free entry for this block, a surprising entry from Konami and Factor 5. I always found it odd that Animaniacs had completely different versions per game console, and equally weird that the Genesis adaptation moved to the Game Boy. I think it was the right move, overall, even if some of the wilder set pieces were lost to the smaller tech. A lot of fun detail was still put into the game despite everything!

Snake count: 8

2 Likes

Progress on this weeks full episode might be a little halted, worst case scenario is it comes a week later. in the meantime please enjoy another uncut stream!

Gremlins 2: The New Batch

Why hey there! Long time no see! Thank you for your patience as we get back to business with episode 13. The lucky number proved most prophetic due to a number of factors that stacked into what amounted to a mini hiatus of sorts. In any case, we’re back, with a weapon to surpass Sneaky Snakes. Our penultimate Sunsoft entry holds their truest trademarks, and over 5 hours of trying and bashing my head against a wall/ceiling was cut down to what you see today. Despite it all, Gremlins 2 is one of my favorite movies, and I wanted to do a little something special for it. I hope you enjoy what I managed!

Oh, uh, also we talk about Japanese King of the Hill in this. You should check that out.

1 Like

Sunsoft is good at making games, why did they make a game that’s like, this? This just seems actively hateful of the player tbh! “Let’s start this stage with a ridiculously hard jump requiring frame perfect inputs and if you fail you hit a spike and take more damage!” Plus whatever that lightning-fast auto platform was up to.

Congrats on setting fire to an abomination birthed from your own body Mogwai, now go to bed

Got a meaty batch of uncut streams today! Here are the fully captured trials and tribulations of Sneaky Snakes! I will generally only be posting singular sessions of these per week, but these were not traditionally stacked a week apart so I figured I’d just throw em together. Longer games will be broken up a bit more in the future. Enjoy!

Oh also while you’re here, enjoy this deleted scene from Gremlins.

Batman

Well hey there! Guess who forgot it was Friday! Me. That’s who. Here we are with our final entry in this Sunsoft cavalcade, though probably not the last title we’ll see from them in this lineup. I, for one, am glad we have a break from them. It’s been kinda hard to write interesting stuff about them. Information can be a little sparse! In any case, please enjoy the riveting tale of tiny Batman!

2 Likes

Hello again, dinosaur enthusiasts! It’s time for another UNCUT edition! While not as laborious as Sneaky Snakes, Baby T-Rex certainly took the full length of an entire stream to get through, so there was plenty of fat to trim in editing. Hopefully there’s some fun left in the original footage. God I hope so. I think we did a lot of dumb voices. Also: no more flicker forever now!

Kirby’s Dream Land 2

Hello friends! It’s time for an extra chufty entry for an extra chufty boy. Kirby’s Dream Land 2 was an entry I completely missed the boat on back in the day, despite it bringing back and even introducing some of Kirby’s most iconic features. After playing it roughly 3 times for this video alone, I can confidently say I was missing out. Few games on the 50 shades list are as well crafted from top to bottom, showing exactly what the Game Boy could do with the right applied effort. A special game calls for a special guest, as well, and I am very thankful to medibot for lending their talents for our little program.

Have a great day! Also check out this American ad for the game I showed a small segment of. It’s wild.

1 Like

Another stream archive for the pile, and the first one I have to break up because it was in multiple weekly segments! Enjoy the thrilling unedited adventures of The Bayou.

Toy Story

Howdy yall! It’s time for our next block of good ol licensed games: The Disney Block! Kicking us off is a game that was a fond staple of my childhood, though admittedly all of that is directed to the console versions. I somehow had a copy of both console and Game Boy edition of this game, and I distinctly remember my 90s brain being very impressed that they could replicate the rendered sprites of the consoles. I also thought if I dug deep enough into the hill my house was built on, I’d surely find a dinosaur. I thought a lot of things! Blowing it up to 720p almost certainly did it no favors, though.

For those of you that noticed the game UI during some of the clips, I direct you to the only known recording of the documentary about Disney Interactive’s cooperation with the animation studios, featured on the recent re-release of Lion King and Aladdin. You just cant remove that UI! Bummer.

cant fuckin believe theres no snake in this one. they cut out everything good

2 Likes

Another uncut entry for ya! The thrilling conclusion of Tail Gator: the novelization.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Merry Christmas folks! The Disney block continues with a Game Boy adaptation of one of my all time favorite films. In a shocking twist, it turns out it’s also not so bad? Perhaps because it was made by an up and comer who would become one of the biggest names in video games within a few years. The more I research things like this, the happier I am that the Game Boy seemed to be a real jumping off point for a lot of powerhouse names. Such humble beginnings on a humble lil handheld! Also don’t worry, folks, I made sure PO watched the movie before this went up.

1 Like

Another uncut entry coming at ya! Witness the full struggle of Godzilla, featuring every stupid mistake and puzzle solving guff in FULL DEFINITION.

ALSO for some extracurricular Game Boy related material, a fairly big discovery was made recently. The thought to be lost forever accessory, The Workboy, has finally surfaced. I might be pretty biased but this might be the coolest portable console accessory made to trick old people into buying it for their grandkids in order to make them productive news of 2020!

1 Like

Mickey’s Dangerous Chase

Happy new year! Many blessings and Game Boys be upon you, or whatever. We got another entry for the ol Disney block, featuring the most content liable to get me a copyright strike yet! It’s still very funny to me that by digging into this game I found virtually nothing interesting about the game itself, but a good amount of fun facts for the company that made it. Now Production really do seem to be the unsung heroes of many a project. They did a mostly okay job with this one, but it ain’t no Katamari.

ACE magazine still sucks by the way. We’re not free of them.

Snake count: 9

2 Likes

this week is hell have some kirb

1 Like

Hercules

What can you say about Hercules the video game for the Nintendo Game Boy and Super Game Boy Entertainment Systems? That. I got this game from my Aunt as a kid and immediately gave up on it after the first level. Now, as an adult, I realize the hidden wisdom of children. As Sunsoft did so plague us in the WB run, Tiertex provides another stinker as we just about escape our Disney block. At least they did a pretty good version of Zero to Hero.

Snake count: 11

2 Likes

Woops! Almost forgot to post the full stream this week! We’re really getting into the videos that I had to cute entire hour chunks out of now! Enjoy our crazed ramblings.